/spg/ - Smartphone General - Note 7 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
Samsung Galaxy Note7 unveiled with a 5.7" curved screen, IP68 rating, USB Type-C, Iris scanner
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_7_unveiled_with_a_57_curved_screen_ip68_rating-news-19734.php

Samsung Galaxy Note7 hands-on
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note7-review-1472.php

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is the world's first phone to use Gorilla Glass 5
phonearena.com/news/Tougher-than-ever-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-7-is-the-worlds-first-phone-to-use-Gorilla-Glass-5_id83769

Xiaomi Redmi 4 spied costing as little as $105
gizchina.com/2016/08/02/xiaomi-redmi-4-spied-costing-little-105/

LG V20 Specs Surface, SD820 SoC & A 4,000mAh Battery In Tow
androidheadlines.com/2016/08/lg-v20-specs-surface-sd820-soc-a-4000mah-battery-in-tow.html

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Hands-On Review
youtube.com/watch?v=qZyELIkfnSU

Galaxy Note 7 Vs Galaxy Note 5 First Look: The Difference A Year Makes
androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7-vs-galaxy-note-5-first-look-706639/

Droid Life says that a 'trusted source' has October 4th as the release date of the new Nexus devices
droid-life.com/2016/08/01/lg-v20-first-android-7-0-nougat-phone/

old

Other urls found in this thread:

gizchina.com/2016/08/02/homtom-ht17-pro-flash-sale/
aliexpress.com/store/product/chinkshit/2289006_32705381965.html
engadget.com/2016/07/01/sony-xperia-x-performance-review/
arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/07/sony-xperia-x-performance-review-uk/
ibtimes.com/sony-xperia-x-review-where-did-it-all-go-wrong-2386365
theverge.com/2016/6/10/11889750/sony-xperia-x-review-price-phone-specs
androidpolice.com/2016/06/27/sony-xperia-x-performance-quick-review/
en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html
youtube.com/watch?v=yro0ZNXqfms
youtube.com/watch?v=G_P7Qd3kpAI
youtube.com/watch?v=bpS7OlxSeK8
youtube.com/watch?v=NNhdQT9Ivu0&list=PLaPvcEA8BA-J9_3mmzhwE5TGRU53q3oux&index=3
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>he fell for the xiaomeme
Enjoy your no updates or no LTE

getting my priv tomorrow what should i expect

This fucking case is making me buy a gold Note instead of silver like I originally wanted. It just looks too fucking good.

Why are Samsung phones so ugly

Are there any phones that can record at 4k 60fps?

>there are people ITT right now that actually buy sleek devices and ruin their entire design, aesthetics and feeling by slapping some cheap bulky plastic turd on them

Might as well go back to dumbphones tbqhwyimho

>Canada

Bought the OP3, it's shipping out in a week, 15 day 'trial period' so I can return if I want
>$519 CAD

I'm upgrading from a 5x.
I pretty much use basic phone features but my 5x lacked good audio speakers / call quality / headphone quality / battery / overheating issues which actually stops me from playing games and charging the device at the same time.

Did I make a mistake with the OP3?
Or should I hold onto my 5x until the next line of Nexus comes out and decide then?
It doesn't hurt to try out the OP3 but I can always cancel the order before it ships.

>tl;dr
OP3 worthy successor to my 5x?

Had a samsung s3 a few years ago, ysed for 2 years with a case without any issues. Took the case off and had the screen cracked within 3 days. Have been using an otterbox case on my phones consistently since.

The thing is that upgrading nowadays does literally jackshit. Phones are LONG past the point of you seeing an actual performance bump. I can't possibly imagine a scenario where someone who bought a flagship in the recent years going "yeah, this phone is just not handling this app well anymore". We're actually losing features for the sake of phones getting thinner and better looking and aside from barely noticeable camera improvements, the design is playing a much bigger role than before. So in short, you basically ruin one of their major selling points while also ruining the feel of the thing because you turned your sleek sexy machine into an unwieldly wardrobe. I just slap one of those glass protectors on the front MAYBE and call it a day. Never had a problem.

So what's the consensus of the Note 7? Is it significantly better than the S7 Edge?

>implying implication

What are some good chinkphones under $100?

And does a refurbished iPhone 5C makes sense in >the current year?

No it's the same with a stylus.

Doesn't mean that's a bad phone though.

>4gb ram instead of 6
>sd820 instead of sd821
>3500mah (smaller than S7E)
>$800
Dropped and bought a OnePlus 3™.

getting fed up with my note 3's GPS and battery shitting itself

are there any good chinkphones >200USD that have acceptable reliability and battery? Cheers lads

This thing just screams for a solid black color to hide those fucking hideous acne bumps on the top.

Anyway, the design of this thing looks half finished because it's really jarring seeing the sleek curvy glass abruptly ending into a corner on the back. They should have made it completely curved like the iphone 6.

>They should have made it completely curved like the iphone 6.

No.

gizchina.com/2016/08/02/homtom-ht17-pro-flash-sale/

aliexpress.com/store/product/chinkshit/2289006_32705381965.html

RN3P.

thanks senpai

HTC 10 or Nexus 6P? I'm on T-Mobile. My lg v10 is dying...

>Tons of apertures on the top
>Ugly Samsung logo can't be covered up with a case
>Edge meme
>Pill shaped home button on the bottom

I've had a S3 for 2+ years, never dropped it, screen and back are completely fine but the sides have cracked in the areas where the lava core is placed

HTC 10

Anyone else disappointed by the note 7?
>same old CPU/GPU
>4GB ram instead of 6
>3500 mAh battery, even smaller than the edge's

Wasn't the note always about having the best possible hardware? Even chink phones have 6gb of ram now.

okay team, my 6p screen is coming out of the frame near the volume rocker. I am PISSED. what do i do?

I got a 5x and I was surprised to find this micro USB to USB type C adapter in the box.
Will this and an S6 micro USB cable allow me to root the device. I mean is it compatible because I've read many negative reviews of type C to type A cables, some were overcharging and others were damaging batteries.

Agreed. I've got an s4 19505 now, and when I put the specs into gsm and compare them with current smartphones they're better, but not £5-600 worth of better. But I take the opposite conclusion, that I'd rather slap a protective cover on it and get as many years as possible before having to upgrade, rather than be forced to spend another 5-600 in 2 years on a fractionally 'better' phone because it's cracked.

To be fucked in the ass by a locked down phone.

Enjoy

If you have the money, the HTC10

If not the 6p is a good phone too

Thanks, Was leaning twords it.
would you guys get an s7 above the HTC10?
I'm a bit leery on getting a device that doesn't have root...

>dying
In what way? Battery?

see pic related. btw I currently own an iPhone 5S. Kill me.

Headphone jack is jacked up. It inconsistently crashes the device when I plug headphones in. It's getting increasingly annoying, and I can't put up with it.

Question re removable battery:

I replaced the battery in my phone a year and a half ago and reinstalled the OS. It went from being a bloated, 2 hour battery piece of shit to essentially a brand new phone.

Have the modern non-removable battery phones cracked this problem with new technology? That after 2-3 years the battery will start to fail? Or is this just planned obsolescence so that you have to go out and buy a new phone every 2 years?

Basically I don't want to shell out for a s7 edge which is the best phone on the market imo but then have the thing be barely usable due to battery life in 2018 when I could have got an admittedly shitter LG G5 but be able to replace the battery and have brand new performance again.

moto g still a goto poorfag android phone? I'm tired of being an iCuck with a 4s

What's the best phone out there under $500 that will last me 2+ years?

I'm sure you'll soon be posting about your buyer's remorse in every single fucking thread again.

No but I'm not the best person to ask as I absolutely hate Samsung phones

It's for my mother, who has a 2010 Nokia dumbphone atm. She wants something for about €150 and given she's probably too dense to use the three navigation buttons on Android, I'd figure a refurbished iPhone 5C (where's there only one fucking button you can press) might serve her well.

The S7 camera is substantially beter than HTC 10.

Hmmm, I see your point. In that case then the fruit phone may be the best choice. You're gonna have to be dealing with lagtunes though, god help you man.

Bump

The second gen Moto E version is still decent, but make sure to get the LTE version (it has a better processor).

You realize the 5X doesn't have a micro sd slot right?

It never was. Its one of the very few phones with vanilla Android. Which means you will get all the juicy updates till the hw cant support it anymore. Not until Samsung or HTC decides to drop a new phone.
Buy a Moto G4 Plus if you like 16mpix and LTE

No, get a certified usb-c cable or it will explode.

I barely use 5GB for V2 mp3 files.

What did he mean by this?

Good for you

S7 has a better camera, is waterproof, and a mostly better display, but the bootloader on the 10 is easy and will be great for custom ROMs

>Shining electric blue with golden sides

So fucking ugly. Samsung once again can't into design.

I was considering getting a HTC10 if I can find a used one under $500, but how's the custom rom scene? It's been on the top of XDA for weeks but I don't know if there's any "Best" rom for it yet.

any chinkphones work on tmobile LTE? I'd be willing to pay a premium if they're small

men, these fucking chinks are so based. I just bricked my redmi note 3 pro, 15 minutes later its unbricked again. These devices are worth every penny, especially if you wanna develop.

The only drawback they have is that flashing cm or some other custom rom doesnt allow you to use some apps that check for root access(think of some banking apps). If you dont use those, don't even hesitate, get a xiaomi.

black....berry. I think I've seen that brand somewhere before.

Not being retarded

>Afwul SoC
>Afwul camera
>Afwul ROM support
>No fingerprint sensor
>GPS and Bluetooth connections are finicky
>Too much static noise through the earpiece

Sup guys.
Looking for a new phone (upgrading from my Samsung s5).
All in all I liked android, but started to hate Samsung. I´ve always used apple before and kind of wanted to see the "other side".
Should I just return to iphones and wait for the iphone 7 or are there any good android phones out there?
Hated the lag on my s5, needs 2 seconds to open camera, crashes, laggs. Just buggy and feels cheap.
Price does not matter, just give me a high end phone with a good screen, camera and good day to day usage. I´m not falling for this spec madness where you have 6GB of Ram but it´s still super slow.

literally what

kys. There has been more than one perfect recommendation. Don't be a lazy cunt. fgt

So whos going to cop the samsung note 7 bet your black asses i am!!! AHAHAHAHAH

>HTC 10
>iPhone 7 (if you don't mind the lack of headphone jack)
>Oneplus 3

Dear god iPhones are expensive as shit

so the iphone 7 will definitely lose the headphone jack? Would it be still okay to get the 6s plus then or will apple make it useless in 1 year and a half.

Heard the Oneplus3 has a shit camera/screen

>upgrading from my Samsung s5

It's a flagship from 2014. Shouldn't it still be fine?

>Hated the lag on my s5

Isn't that a software issue? Maybe a reset will fix it?

Well it´s working, but I kinda can afford an upgrade in the future.

Did the factory reset a couple of times and always updated it. Android 6.0 made things better but it still feels no match to my Iphone 5 that i had before.

Basically what i´m having on my mind is the nexus line because I think a clean android experience would be great.

I dont know what happened though, I mean the s5 worked perfectly fine for like half a year and after the time passed you could feel it getting slower

iPhone 6S is a pretty good device, probably the best on the market right now. Only thing is that Samsung has caught up with Apple on the camera side and the S7/Note7 have now a better camera than the iPhone.

But many people are saying Apple will release a big update to the iPhone line in 2017, so yeah...

Got the OP3 myself, best phone I've ever had. Coming from a S5 too.

6P is good if you want a Nexus. Keep in mind they'll update their Nexus line in october though.

On the one hand I know what i´m getting with the iphone. And its true the camera is really great but it just feels so slow.

I fear that the oneplus3 will get slow too, a problem ive never really had with apple.
Sure the iphone 4 for example does not perform that good anymore, but its almost 6 years old now. Compare that to a samsung device

sure. I mean I got time, just wanted to inform myself a bit (or am I too early).
Another thing I hated was how fuckin long I´ve waited for the software updates. Coming from Germany it was even depending on your carrier. So i waited half a year longer

Not only that but gay and have all the problems listed in

I never really had any problems.
It´s a good phone with a nice day to day experience. But its true that they´re a little bit overpriced

Well I'm into rooting and installing custom ROMs and stuff, so even if Oneplus shits itself I can still help myself out.

I'd wait until the iPhone 7 comes out: if you like it you can buy it. If you don't, you can get the 6S (which performs almost exactly the same) for €100 less or wait for the Nexuses.

thanks for your advice!
Tried rooting once -> almost broke my phone because i´m a little bit dumb I guess.
I feel like there´s potential to be all custom and shit, but I just want a clean experience where I dont have to tweak anything x)

So I think I´d better go for either Nexus or Iphone then.
Btw is Sony still a reasonable choice or have they been completely shut off by the other companies?

Youve seen the other side now so go back to iphones (^_−)−

why do none of the american phones cost under $100?

the Leagoo Z5 LTE edition is as low as $50

Stay away from Sony, they haven't done anything good since 2014.
>Sony Xperia X Performance review: $700 worth of disappointment
engadget.com/2016/07/01/sony-xperia-x-performance-review/

>Sony Xperia X Performance doesn't live up to its name

>Sony Xperia X Performance review: £500 is a lot to ask for a fairly basic phone

>Sony Xperia X Review: Where Did It All Go Wrong?
ibtimes.com/sony-xperia-x-review-where-did-it-all-go-wrong-2386365

>Sony Xperia X review: X marks the flop
theverge.com/2016/6/10/11889750/sony-xperia-x-review-price-phone-specs

>Sony Xperia X Performance quick review: A flawed phone with an obscene price
androidpolice.com/2016/06/27/sony-xperia-x-performance-quick-review/

If you want to try something different, go for the HTC 10. It's so rare for HTC to make a good phone, they deserve some credit for not fucking it up this year.

who hype for htc nexus marlin

>SD820/SD821
>aesthetics
>google daydream ready (fast display n shiet)
>developer-oriented, gets updates quickly

seems good for game/app dev at least

>but at what cost

Probably at least $700 for the 128gb version
I don't give a fuck about VR though, it's a meme

Okay so no Sony, got that!
I´ll probably wait anyways until the new Nexus and Iphone releases.
I guess I´ll decide between them or the OnePlus3 since its rather cheap.

Thanks to all of you for helping me, this is a great board :)

Can anyone post the Android infographics. What shit to install and so on

on pc i could see VR working for like a first person shooter with a mouse and keyboard or for a racing game, but on mobile you're just gonna look at pictures and play really lame half-assed games with some shitty magic wand type controller

Blu R1 HD.

what is the best ePub reader for Android

Tomorrow Ill get my Redmeme note 3 pro if I can believe DHL at least. It's now above the north sea from LONDON.

What can I expect?

In an unfortunate turn of events my laptop failed as well last week. Any advice for a good laptop which is also able to pull most games? Had a good Dell XPS 17 from 2011 or 12.

see
You'll need a working pc with x64 windows to flash the global rom in case you get a chinky vendor rom installed.

>$650 for 16GB, $750 for 64GB
>Having the audacity to offer a 16GB option with no expandable storage
>2016

Not to mention that although your device will almost always get the new iOS updates, it'll still cost you in the long run because the software will be optimized for the latest iPhone resulting in a bigger strain on your processor and battery.

>Tomorrow Ill get my Redmeme note 3 pro if I can believe DHL at least. It's now above the north sea from LONDON.

Sign off, sign up to get the Mi Unlock. Just say you're a dev.
en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html

Second, install CM

Well I got properly fucked then I guess.

Do you know by any chance if the ones bought trough TOP ONE have the chink shit on it?

This gets rid of the probably inevitable chink shit on the phone?

Does anyone else run Cyan+microg? Does the map API he uses work with shit like Lyft?

>This gets rid of the probably inevitable chink shit on the phone?
Oh fuck no. You do that yourself if you want to and install Google Play if you plan on using that ROM.
Use the Mi unblock to unlock the booloader.

After you do that, install a new rom, CM13 is the best one.

Actually that's a good shop, maybe they installed they global rom already. depends on what you asked on the order. anyway post the screenshot of settings->about when you get it, and check if it's the correct version. V7.3.7.0.LHOMIDD is the latest. if you see something else, it's a chinked version.

If you've ever had the misfortune of using a Samsung, you'll know that phones becoming too slow after a year or two is still very much a thing. Definitely not because Samsung intentionally slows them down or anything.

youtube.com/watch?v=yro0ZNXqfms
youtube.com/watch?v=G_P7Qd3kpAI
youtube.com/watch?v=bpS7OlxSeK8

Here are some guides to getting CM13 on the Redmi Note 3 Pro

Has anyone successfully set up PieMessage? Imessage is the only thing I miss from iOS..

github.com/bboyairwreck/PieMessage

Thanks. I need to learn that stuff anyway.

I think they will do something like that. It all seemed pretty legit. However I am new to this chinky business so I'll check the ROM when I get it and take it from there.

If this phone turns out to be slightly alright I might switch to chinkphones and not return to the pieces of crap I had before this.

In addition to give MiUi a chance, it takes some time getting used to coming from stock android but it can be quite useful.

Here's how to flash the global rom in case you need to change it
youtube.com/watch?v=NNhdQT9Ivu0&list=PLaPvcEA8BA-J9_3mmzhwE5TGRU53q3oux&index=3

I'm looking for a phone for my mum and I can't be arsed to sift through piles of cheap shit devices so I came here.

It should have android 5.0+, screen smaller than 5", cost less than 200 euromoneys and as little bloatware as possible (she had a zenfone and hated all the "utilities" they'd put there).
Something like a mini version of redmeme 3 would be perfect. Does anything like that exist?

>Xiaomi Redmi 3 Pro
>Xiaomi Mi4C
>Xiaomi Redmi 3
Choice enough my friend.