Tech Layoffs

I was laid off from my first job as a programmer, due to the company sizing down and while I was on medical leave. I've been feeling sorry for myself for a while and haven't been replying to any recruiter's for a while, since I feel like an utter failure.

It was my first job and I was there for about a year, working as an iOS/backend engineer. It's a pretty big company and a few of my friends are dealing with similar stories about suddenly being laid off by the "bigger" companies.

What do I do with my time? Any older Sup Forumsentlemen with some career advice or reasons why I shouldn't kill myself for being alive during the part of the bubble?

masturbate furiously

Kys

enjoying your summer break?

Become the new Uriel

Company name or gtfo

Not pertinent to the advice being asked for.

You feel like a failure because you were laid off for reasons that you had zero control over?

Wow.
Please stay home. That way I can get a job and you won't.

where do you think you are?

mcdonalds play pit

You have no idea what to prepare yourself once you do get a job in the last phase of this clusterfuck of a bubble. Clench your asshole and don't drink the kombucha on your way out the fucking door in your new job, br0.

Why was I expecting any actual replies to this thread, when everyone here is clinging on to their mother's tit for dear life and crying about O notation.

Every developer I've met while working and studying, were evolving into full blown alcoholics over how much they hate their jobs and waiting for their team to get wind of their last day. What the fuck is the point of working in an office? I did contracting work before working full-time and found it more dignifying than clocking in, any affirmations?

this post reeks of a broken man who only went into computers because he wanted a steady paycheck and not because of their passion for computers or programming.

If you don't enjoy writing software in your free time you will HATE this line of work.

>talks shit about NEETs while talking about how everyone with a job hates their life

Funny. I got out of school and already had this job lined up. Don't live with my parents, they're dead. Both of them died while I was in high school. I went to school to get a job. My passion is my job. I'm passionate about my job and this industry. This industry is dead. The end.

I also contribute to FOSS and have worked on multiple projects in my own volition while I was at work. Right now, I don't have the energy to do anything and have taken up the timesink of even playing with the idea of going for my master's.

I didn't hate my life while I had a job. I hate my job after having a job. I'm sure that I'll resume to enjoying my life once I crawl out of my impostor syndrome. Getting paid six figures and managing your own team is good compensation for going through the motions of office work. Once you get older or once your autismo bucks stop coming in the mail, you'll figure it out.

before this thread devolves into something else tangential to my posts, I'd like to hear about experiences from people who actually finished their CS degrees and were groomed by a fortune 500 before graduating and not fucking autismos who probably curl over wget and came out of their web dev generals.

u r a faggit

>I was laid off from my first job as a programmer, due to the company sizing down
Been there, done that.

This is the time to found your own startup company. Been there, done that. It crashed but we didn't get too badly burned. Learned a lot. Gained an experience.

Most startups don't even make it to the second round of funding if they're successful for the first, especially if they're founded by newlygrads. It was an idea I was playing before I was contacted by the job that laid me off, but felt that more at ease playing the safe road.

How was it? How big was it? Did you make it to VC funding? Where are you now? Startups are fun to work in, but not fun to marry.

>medical leave
>laid off

you know, lying on the internet isnt very nice.

Pretty pathetic that you can only find self worth through selling your labor to a company.

What's so unbelievable? I was laid off unrelated to my medical absence, but laid off during it, nonetheless. Downsizing.

Serious advice: sell your code. Make apps/programs and sell that shit. Keep making more and improve the apps/programs you already have until you start making bank.

That's what I did anyway, though it wasn't easy. I had to move back with ma and pa for about 2 years until I started making profit. Most of my cashflow comes from android apps since iOS is becoming a dead platform nowadays.

I'm not a millionaire yet but I should be able to safely move out in less than a year and get my own place soon.

This economy seriously fucking sucks, I have a CS degree and many years of iOS and Android programming experience yet I wasn't able to find a single fucking job that would take me in a year after I got laid off from my company.

Do you find your self worth buried deep in the plate of chicken tendies waiting for you next to your night table and Miku jizz encrusted figure?

The problem with investing the time on a project that has a zero return investment in the short-term and a potential long-term return that's average is dealing with everything that comes with it, from whether it scales (hosting), to UI/UX, and time actually spent programming. When you have to worry about a paycheck and don't have ma to help you out, then you need to look for a job.

Did you straight go into working on your own projects? Being able to take 2 years, expenses paid and a roof over your head, to jerk off and make some apps sounds great, though! Hope it works out for you.

Seriously, I'm thinking of at least working on something in F-Droid, as I've been learning Android, as well.

>many years of iOS and Android programming
How old are you? Did you work at a company doing any of those things? I spent most of my time in school learning Java, so much that I don't want to have to go back to re-learn Android's version of it. How's Kotlin? Any resources you could send my way? Self-help? More advice?

If you actually were productive in those 2 years, how did you keep to a schedule? Are you going to go into a nervous breakdown if you were to ever explain those 2 years at an interview? I know I would. I'm trying to wrap my head around how 5 months pas

>2 years
Were you productive in those 2 years? What was your schedule like? I spent enough time in school learning Java to not want to deal with Java. What do you think about Kotlin? What's Android's flavor of Java like? I worked with Gradle before for automation scripts during my internship, before eventually being told that I was going to do iOS. It was fun.

>many years of iOS/Android programming
Did you work as either of those things in an office? How old are you, if I can ask? Are you working now?

If I had the support web to be able to live off my code and take up projects with ma, I would. Unfortunately, my rainy day fund is running out and I probably need to either kill myself or figure out how I can explain 5 months of vacation in an interview.

Really now, I'm just trying to gauge how jaded people with that got burnt early when working at these big tech companies are after being promised the world.

i'm on a shitpad
excuse these posts

Don't worry, user! You were last hired, first fired. It's not you, just your timing.

Make sure you get a reference, and now bam!: you have a year of experience, and can easily beat all the Sup Forums shitmunchers in the next hiring process.

I think you're suffering from depression, user. Every post you've made reinforces that impression.

Where do you live? Depending on what country you're in you may be able to get help. SSRIs and a few sessions with a psych can have a huge positive impact on your self-esteem and make shit seem, if not good, then at least possible to deal with.

I wouldn't be able to write code if I were on antidepressants. I'm surprised to find out how many people on Sup Forums are on antidepressants, though.

>Do you find your self worth buried deep in the plate of chicken tendies waiting for you next to your night table and Miku jizz encrusted figure?

Insulting me doesn't make what I said any less true.

Truth is some people measure themselves quantitatively, different parts to the whole. Life is a tapestry, a job is a microcosm in there. Your snide comment was telling. Truths all around, how much do you get paid to shitpost?

>how much do you get paid to shitpost
There you go again, equating worth with accruing money.