Convince me to switch to Linux; why is Linux better than Windows?

Convince me to switch to Linux; why is Linux better than Windows?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=GNU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No, fuck you. Go do your own research and decide for yourself if it's worth it. I don't care what OS you use.

total freedom

>decide for yourself
you are overestimating generation Z

where's BSD?

the flies

It's not. Too many faults. And they don't enough software. Also the community is full-on communism no one bands together to make it better everyone just wants to make their own OS. And every one of them dies out like the Dodo Bird.

Too many faults compared to what exactly? The held-together-with-chewing-gum mess that is Windows?

let me stop you there. if you dont already know, you never will.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

No need to go all smartass, I know what GNU is. But literally everybody refers to GNU/Linux based OS's as just "Linux."

Are you mentally impaired to make your own decisions?

stop memeing about linux, if you don't see why you should use it, don't use it

Repeat after me:
G N U / LINUX

There is not "Linux" fuckhead and never will be. It's GNU/Linux and you are a cancer for calling it otherwise.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as GNU plus Linux, is in fact, X plus Systemd plus GNU plus Linux.

Or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, XSysgnix

I don't fucking know your needs, decide whether you want to use it or not yourself.

tip: run it in a VM.

calling Linux with GNU/Linux is like all the cisgender/transgender bullshit

no reason at all unless you want to be meme hipster and circlejerk in linuxcucks threads
>check out my weeb arch Sup Forumsuys xD
all distros are literally crippled windows

>being this new

No, that's your own job. In the mean time,

How is your first week on Sup Forums?

>Why are shoelaces better than velcro

Well they aren't, really.

It's Linux, you fucking twat.

Different people may like different things, just use what you want.

velcro is for autists who can't tie a simple fucking knot

And also, you can just replace your laces when you want to, but when your velcro goes bad you have to cut the threads which connect it to the shoes, and sew the new velcro back, which is more job than just throwing the old laces and putting the new ones.

underrated

i always hope this is all ironic but then i remember stallman really does get his panties in a wad over it. its no surprise to everyone gnu has a large part in linux, gnu is getting credit for linux. it just sounds so much better than gnu/linux (4 or 5 syllables verses 2) and is more appealing

If you're on laptop don't even bother, if you're on a desktop you get some of the functionality of Windows with none of the drawbacks of Windows.
If Windows doesn't bother you as it is, you'll gain nothing.

The macfag girl on the left is the only good point of this OS

>If you're on laptop don't even bother
wat

Not him, but Linux is inefficient as fuck on laptops and draws your battery faster than Windows does.

Last time I used Linux on a laptop was in 2012 and I was getting ~8 hours in both Linux and Windows.

I never said you should switch.
In fact, I have windows 10 on sda5 myself.
I do recommend you use it, though.
Install gentoo.

Worse battery life even with tlp, shittier wifi signal strength, major browsers like Chrome don't use GPU acceleration further sapping battery life (even if it ran exactly the same as on Windows, Edge is still the most power efficient).
Rudimentary support for nvidia optimus, patchy support for fingerprint readers, broadcom bluetooth and wifi cards etc. Touchpad and mouse controls have almost none of the functionality in the Synaptics drivers.
Miracast is for developers only at this point, and orientation sensors only work on some devices if you manually install drivers.
The only benefit I see is damn near instant sleep/wake, which is nice, but when you compare it to everything else it's not worth it.

Well say what you want, it was a hell of a lot better than Windows.

overestimated

its GNUNUX lmao

You should switch to BSD.

Well it is, in some ways, almost everything works out of the box, except for the things that just don't fucking works.
On Windows nothing works out of the box but at least everything can be fixed since that's the OS the manufacturer supports officially.

Depends. On well supported laptop hardware (aka not skylake) linux is as good or better than windows especially if you pare down your system to have less usage at idle.

But that's crap, though.

Retard spotted

but what is GNU short for?

lmgtfy.com/?q=GNU

You're ass backwards

>literally crippled windows

Nigga what the fuck you talking about? No it's not.

No it doesn't. You must be retarded.

Gnu is not Unix.

If it's so easy to find on google, why don't you tell me? I can't find it.

I'm pretty certain that was a joke, friend

Literally the second link, you don't even have to click it to get the answer.

It's Sup Forums during summer time, you can never be sure.

>literally the second link
I don't know which country you are from, so please enlighten me. It's not the second link in Denmark.

>Operating System
>Operating System
>Kernel

mr dane if you press the second link the information you seek will appear magically on the screen in front of you

you must have had a few too many tuborgs and slices of kransekake

jajaajaa

Autsim

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Autism

/bread

Ok, I originally thought that was a joke. But what is GNU then? Does it actually mean anything or is it literally just "not unix"?

yet you still replied

It's a recursive acronym. the G in GNU means GNU. GNU means GNU's Not Unix. The GNU in that stands for GNU's not Unix, and so on.

This hurts my head. Thank you anyway.

Holy shit, I think we got Bill in here!

Dude, I can't even get a copy of VS2013_v3 IDE.NETapp4Windows to install correctly. I download GBs of dog shit, and the installer can't even set up the registry and environmental variables correctly. Since I refuse to look into the abyss of the inner workings of Windows, I honestly have no idea how to correct the mistakes. It's set some of my projects back weeks.

I think the claim that says Linux based oses drain battery is just a hoax. My laptop, with doing heavy multitasking stuff can last about 5-6 hours with Windows 10, and this number is also true for Linux.

I own an Asus K501UX laptop and I have Fedora 24 installed on it.

Are you 16 year old or something? It's such a simple concept I'm baffled at why you can't grasp it

Linux is open source, and has no hidden agenda to spy on you and force ads onto your userspace. Even if Linux showed ads you can disable the module completely since it's quite modular. Microsoft, however, doesn't even endorse classic ads because it wants you to see ads.

And yeah, better file systems like BTRFS and ZFS support

Once Wayland is properly in place then that might help - tearing is unavoidable on most hardware in Linux.

>it's all about 2 things: gaming and/or commercial software
are you required by work to use certain software that only runs in windows?

do you feel you spend more time at surfing & watching movies than gaming?

if you answered "no" both times, hit up distrowatch and start distrohopping until you find an environment that your like & feel comfortable in.

First, nice meme.

Second, given that GNU is just a couple tools and Linux is all the rest, wouldn't it be Linux+GNU?

just call it Linux.

GNU/Linux is bullshit. if I were to follow Stallman's argumetn to the letter then I would call my system GNU/systemd/btrfs/Linux and I'm definitely missing a bunch of shit.

This. You are free to make your own software, because Linux has none.

>The held-together-with-chewing-gum mess that is Windows?

No that's OS X.

GNU/Linux

GNU's Not Useful

I wish there was something else.

It's just Linux

Love linux, but fucking GNU ... We can do better.

Linux is the kernel. You're talking about the OS, not the OS and the kernel.

It's GNU. Simple, plain, easy. Not Linux, not "GNU/Linux" or "GNU+Linux" bullshit which you'd only say if you were talking specifically about what type of GNU you are using, but simply GNU.

Repeat after me:

GNU.

just werks
no botnet
no forced updates
faster

▲▲

My battery lasts longer when running gnu/linux.

Btrfs, why?

It's just Linux. Just Linux.

>cared enough to reply to op
kek

>tfw spent some time using Alpine Linux (userland is completely non-GNU out of the box)
there's so much little shit the GNU tools do that's kind of inconsequential but just makes life easier

sure, the GNU tools are bloated, but there's a reason

Velcro is convenient.

sure, I don't actually have any velcro shoes (haven't in years), but I also barely bother re-tying my shoelaces and just slip that shit on/off these days with a shoe horn (or just jam my foot in)

pretty much this

nothing like setting up some shitty laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 7 and doing a fresh install of it and having the same issues I'd dealt with when installing Ubuntu on a machine back in 2008
>1024x768 video on widescreen display
>no wifi, had to go plug into my router
>no sound

all of which were fixed once I found the drivers on Acer's site

pretty sure OS X under the hood isn't that bad actually
wouldn't doubt it's got some holes in it, but unlike MS, Apple has repeatedly dropped legacy compatibility specifically to keep things from becoming like Windows

Lower resource usage. Stability. A fuckload of knowledge that Windows would have never given you. It's pretty shit though if you have a dedicated GPU or you need proprietary software. If either of those is your case you'd probably be better off with a hackintosh.

>Apple has repeatedly dropped legacy compatibility specifically to keep things from becoming like Windows

The same thing Microsoft is doing now with Windows 10. But I guess everyone doesn't want to give it a try and rather be led astray like the lamb and flail their arms around while yelling about how it's botnet and broken and bloated.

Think for yourself.