Why do so many people own electric cars these days?

Why do so many people own electric cars these days?
Is it only because of the lowerd taxed on electric cars? Are people really that selfish, look how much electric cars harm the environment and poison the water.
How can you possibly defend electric cars as being "green"?

Other urls found in this thread:

snopes.com/lithium-mine-oil-sands/
cleantechnica.com/2016/05/12/lithium-mining-vs-oil-sands-meme-thorough-response/
scientificamerican.com/article/electric-cars-are-not-necessarily-clean/
wired.com/2016/03/teslas-electric-cars-might-not-green-think/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brine_mining
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's because Teslas are cool

Did you miss the part where lithium is almost completely recyclable?

yep it sure is a hole in the ground, it's not like that shit has ever occurred naturally anywhere on earth or anything. plus a deer might fall down and break a leg or something.

definitely as bad as emptying subterranean wells full of dead plant and animal matter, and refilling them with fresh drinkable water so that the ground doesn't collapse.

much better for the environment to dig up a fuckton of bitumen and separate the oil within through a process that actually burns oil itself, and dump the byproduct into adjacent lakes, so that the ensuing product can be burned some more, producing emissions that completely fuck the ozone layer. totally as bad as a big hole in the fucking ground.

Alberta is the greatest embarrassment in the history of Canada, and by far. I'm glad Harper is gone so that you hicks can sink back into irrelevance.

please, share more of the facebook memes you base your political opinions on

This is antilogic. 1/10 shill for making me reply

Ikr

Pic related

Did you miss the part were lithium mining poisons the ground water? Recyclabe doesn't mean that it's clean.

Cuckold detected

>using the same tired old image that has been disproven countless times before

Please, let this bait end...

imagine the original creator of this propaganda
do you think they realized how much harm one picture could do

snopes.com/lithium-mine-oil-sands/
Obvious troll is obvious, that's a copper mine, not a lithium mine. You don't mine lithium. Also pic related is what an actual oil Sands site looks like.
Sup Forums will still fall for it, just like the Karly Kloss bullshit picture and just like the "all sex is rape" misquote that misspells the name of the feminists it attributes the quote to.

Lithium is extracted from briney salt water you moron

they literally just lay out water in the sun

and yes I know this is bait, but there's a lot of stupid people on Sup Forums that will buy this shit

Sup Forums is dead and this thread proves it

First of all: cleantechnica.com/2016/05/12/lithium-mining-vs-oil-sands-meme-thorough-response/
And second of all pic related is a lithium "mine" (actually salt flats where nothing lives anyway, not even bacteria)

OP BTFO

Oh please, Sup Forums has always been anti progress. If it's new, they don't like it.
>Windows 7? Lol Vista with a service pack
>Skylake? Sandy bridge 4 life, thermal paste Jews
>Women working in tech? They don't think logically
They've been like this for the past six years, nothing has changed.

Do you know that that site is biased as hell towards electric cars?

Some food for thought:
scientificamerican.com/article/electric-cars-are-not-necessarily-clean/

wired.com/2016/03/teslas-electric-cars-might-not-green-think/

That's a launch pad in russia not an oilsands site and the other is marble quarrel.
The process to extract oilsands is extremely contaminating anyways

>Your battery-powered vehicle is only as green as your electricity supplier

no fucking shit

but even a coal plant is much more efficient than your car's ICE

setting up an electric infrastructure which can be adapted to emerging technologies is a much better plan than being stuck on gasoline

Pack it up, guys. He said 'cuck', all of our arguments are invalid now.

>Both articles point out that America doesn't use enough renewable energy sources to generate electricity
>That means the Tesla is nearly as polluting as a tiny, hyper efficient hybrid
Oh no, we should abandon any attempt to make an electric car and never work towards using renewable energy. We should just keep using petrol and diesel.

And that's not even the electric car's fault. It's just that the US is pretty shit at renewable energies.

Yeah but unfortunately for fossil fuels they're a finite resource that causes insane damage to the atmosphere. Some poisoned land is a small price to pay for having an atmosphere.

You can't avoid the demise of the fossil fuel, whether or not you think that electric vehicles are the right alternative is immaterial, you don't really get to decide. However if you want to provide an alternative to electric instead of shitposting on Sup Forums then go right ahead I'm sure we'd all love to hear your idea.

You forgot to take into account that once that oil is sucked up it's then burned off through combustion engines that then seeps into our air.

Face it, Elon Musk has the right idea with Iithium . It's not the end all be all alternative for energy, but it's a stepping stone in the right direction. Remember... humanity is a ticking time bomb, we have less than a century to become a truly interstellar civilization or else we'll face extinction.

algae-powered bio cars that run on ATP and sugar

>tfw bought LIT ETF in early 2015

Pipe dream, hydrogen has a better shot and it's shit.

Want another swing at it?

No, that's the answer

We can't possibly build better energy storage systems than what evolution has perfected over billions of years. Everything else is a mechanical stopgap.

Mining lithium pollutes irrelevant third world countries.
Running fossil cars pollutes our own civilized society.

There is a big difference.
The era of globalism and "hurr we're all equal I'll gladly make my life worse to improve that of the Chinese/Africans/Asians/Saudi Oil Producers" is over.
Now is the era of nationalist backlash.

Fuck other countries. Now we care about ours. Free trade is dead. Open borders are dead. Caring about third world countries' environment is dead.

It hasn't even started yet, nationalist parties are already #1 in polls all over Europe, even France and Holland. Brexit was just the start. Trump is a clown but if he doesn't get the job done, the next person will.

I think the globalism idea is far too early right now.

Give it another 50 years and it'll make sense. But for now the planet just isn't ready for it, but someday we'll all merge together and it'll no longer matter.

It had a good 30 year run.

The developing world had the biggest gain in wealth ever seen in history.
The developed world stagnated.

Now it fights back. The elites don't get it because they are the ones on the right side of the graph.

Weak bait, I doubt anyone will think you're serious with a pic like that

it all stems from the incorrect notion that human flatulence and exhalations are pollution, to the point where 'save the rainforests' or 'don't dump heavy metals into the water supply' are no longer en vogue environmental concepts

It improves air quality in cities, which reduces mortality due to particulate matter

Mining may be bad but smog is worse

That picture is such bullshit. The top picture isn't even a lithium farm.

That's not a lithium mine you fucking idiot

Go back to reddi.t

>that picture
[triggered]

Wtf I hate Elon Musk now!

Efficient, but not exactly speedy.

Wtf I hate reason now

but the karlie kloss picture is literally on her twitter/instashit ??? How is Sup Forums fallng for that lmao

once we have autonomous vehicles, we won't need 2000 lbs of crash protection

hell a couple thousand watts will get you up to 60 mph

eliminating intersections and stop-go traffic will lower the torque requirements too

Lithium battery technology is a dead end anyway. In my country for example it would make sense with fuel cell cars. Electricity is so cheap sometimes due to wind energy that the prices are negative several times during a day. Making hydrogen during these peaks would make a lot of sense.

That said I could see myself getting a lithium battery car. I rarely have to use my car and the longest trips on average are around 10km. And there are charging stations everywhere now.

>making hydrogen with electricity instead of feeding it directly into cars via the existing electric grid

>Why do so many people own electric cars these days?
bc of the federal tax cut that comes with the purchase of a car. all government industry subsidies should be removed immediately

The point is that lithium is a dead end technology. And using hydrogen to store energy makes sense currently where I live. Plenty of water everywhere with plenty of cheap electricity. Starting a new infrastructure project to put up powerlines everywhere is not an option.

>Electricity is so cheap sometimes due to wind energy
TOP HEE. elderly people in the uk, spain, and Germany are dying bc of all of their governments mandating taxes on "fossil fuels" if it werent for the intervention wind would never have suvived this long.

>inb4 muh oil
oil became the dominant source of fuel in 5 years, all over the world

>lithium is only for CAR batteries

>Why do so many people own electric cars these days?
because theyre better for the environment

>TOP HEE. elderly people in the uk, spain, and Germany are dying bc of all of their governments mandating taxes on "fossil fuels" if it werent for the intervention wind would never have suvived this long.
It's a shit source indeed. But considering around 45% of our power is provided by nuclear reactors and the other 45% is hydroelectric which is saved for the winters there is only one outcome when the wind blows a lot. You just don't shut down your nucelar reactors just because it's windy a few hours. This results in more or less free energy that can be used to create hydrogen.

>lithium is a dead end technology

>citation needed

okay cool, not be nit picky, but nuclear is the main source of energy in that be is anytime, the issue with wind is its not on demand and its lost to storage, and insane maintenance, im all using all types of energy but the susidies and strict regulations being applied to certain things and not the others doesn't actually help anyone

>lithium is dead end
>but nuclear isn't

EVERY TIME

The economically viable mining of Lithium resources in the earth crust is not really enough to replace oil for all the cars and trucks in the world. Especially considering there are no viable way to recycle Lithium batteries today that I know of.

I'm assuming hitting peak Lithium would similarly like peak oil allow for new prospecting to go on allowing for new mines to be opened lowering prices for Lithium. Without recycling though I'm confident we would hit a permanent peak Lithium faster than a permanent peak oil.

Yeah but it's not like I can call the government and tell them they are fucking retarded. The cards have been dealt for the next 25 years before the wind mills fall apart so might as well make the best out of it.

We have a constant 80 year worldwide supply of Uranium due to when prices increases we can prospect for new Uranium deposits. Which happened a few years ago extending the 60 year world wide supply to some 90 years or so. I'm confident that if still run current gen reactors in 100 years time we are fucked anyway.

>What is base load?
I can tell there aren't any actual power engineers here. Renewables are a cancerous meme. If any country on earth tried to cover base load with renewables they'd have blackouts every time the winds were unfavorable or the sun was a bit too obstructed by cloud cover.

>Especially considering there are no viable way to recycle Lithium batteries today that I know of.

this has to be bait.

10/10 for making me respond

>what are batteries

No I'm not trolling. Recycled Lithium is 5 times more expensive than mined Lithium. So yeah my point still stands. There is no viable way to recycle Lithium batteries today.

And that's infinitely cheaper than recycled gasoline

oh, so just like fracking

>lithium mining poisons the ground water

because so many humans and animals live in the salt flats?

did you know my shitbox truck from the 90s is better for the environment despite having all of its emissions systems stripped out just for the sheer fact its been on the road longer than ive been alive

fuck electric hybrid bullshit when you have glorious shitbox v8

ah darn, maybe we should tell all those lithium battery recycling companies to shut down because they aren't making any profit

oh no wait its because you're talking bullshit

>did you know my shitbox truck from the 90s is better for the environment despite having all of its emissions systems stripped out just for the sheer fact its been on the road longer than ive been alive

>believing this

it takes an amazing amount of oil industry jewery to convince someone that this is true

i'm actually pretty impressed by their tactics

tell me more about how manufacturing new cars is good for the environment

IM WAITING M8

and even if you can come up with a reason enjoy having a car full of computers that can be tracked by the government and full of non open source software

He's referring to the "fast invert sqrt is male code badly written bleah" fake pic, not the legit one where she struggles with cd.

Your rose-colored glasses have gone full infrared my man

what? there's sectionalism in canada? kek

>tell me more about how manufacturing new cars is good for the environment

even when using the absolute best numbers to support your argument, driving your shitbox would cancel out the production of a new car in less than 1.5 years

>Gets called out and looks like a retard.
>Moves goalposts and starts spouting memes.

Reddit is that way my dude.

WEW LAD sure is summer in here

They certainly aren't recycling the Lithium in the Lithium batteries unless there have been a very recent breakthrough in recycling techniques. They are probably recycling cobalt and nickel.

This. You don't need to go as fast when the route is substantially more efficient.

And you can make substantially lighter vehicles when you don't need to concern yourself with retards crashing into shit and ruining everything.

I can't wait for carbon fiber technology to become ubiquitous.

>one car battery
>lasts at least 5 years
>equivalent size in gasoline
>lasts around 2-4 months
hmmmmmm

That's a nice truck man

Dat fucking picture.

It is fake as fuck and I still see idiots reposting it on plebbook.

there was, under Harper. he was an Albertan who spent the better of part of his terms prepping up the Albertan industry.

and as soon as he's gone, bam. province goes to hell. although Notley could be to blame there as well.

why do you expect Sup Forums to know about primary sectors, let alone give a shit about them

is this how you project your insecurities?

wut

no I have a reasonable expectation of people in the year 2016 to at least consult wikipedia before forming and spreading an opinion

> emissions that completely fuck the ozone layer

pseudoscience-peddling cult member detected

so far I've been called cuck, redditor and pseudoscience-peddling cult member

and still not a compelling rebuttal in sight

lithium isnt mined you fucking retards its so embarrassing to read your 2 paragraph long posts about shit you dont know the first thing about

Thorium power when?

That top image is, in fact, a mine. It’s a copper mine. This particular mine is BHP’s Escondida Mine, one of the 10 largest in the world.

Before this continues, to repeat … that’s a copper mine. In 2015, we used about 19 million tons of copper. Getting that copper out took digging big holes in the ground, just like the one in that first picture. It also involved using millions of pounds of blasting agent, carrying rock to crushers, spraying that crushed rock with millions of gallons of sulfuric acid, then letting the resulting toxic sludge sit around in leach fields to extract the copper.

How many times has someone approached you and warned you that copper is a bad thing and that you shouldn’t use it? I’m willing to bet that number is zero.

On the other hand, the world produces about 650,000 tons of lithium each year. Lithium exists mostly in the form of concentrated salts. Almost all that lithium—greater than 95 percent of it—is produced through a process of pumping underground brine to the surface and allowing it to evaporate in big pans. It’s separated from the brine using electrolysis.

There’s nothing you would think of as mining. No blasting. No trucks driving around carrying loads of crushed rock. No sprays of sulfuric acid.

And to add onto your bottom half of your picture, that big tower in the middle is just a drilling rig which eventually gets taken down along with everything else on that oil patch and all that remains after is just a small 20 ft. high pump jack (those "horse" looking things that swing up and down to pump the oil out of the ground) which can easily be concealed by tree's or a small, more aesthetically pleasing structure.

A better and more fair comparison is to compare a small pump jack with that massive mine, or even a windmill (which are not only massive and hideous, but they kill birds as well). Green energy fags are massive hypocrites and rediculously delusional.

Centralized energy production blows the fuck out of individual combustion engines on all fronts

lmao who gives a shit about how ugly mines are or what they do to the planet? By the time it matters we'll all be dead anyway

See

>what is current technology
>what is energy density
The amount of power stored in the most advanced batteries today isn't nearly sufficient to store base load power for any period of time. A lithium cell base of a million units wouldn't power a small European city for ten minutes at slack time, much less average base load.

>lithium isnt mined
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brine_mining

Except the ground under the oil rig looks like the mine ;^)

This bitch is drawn like a cheeky cunt

How to beat climate change: do what france does in the power sector, and replace road vehicles with EV's.

Regarding EV's, there's been a lot of press surrounding electric cars, but trucks contribute more to total CO2 emissions and should be given highest priority. Because of the square-cube law they get better range from any given battery technology than cars do.

And regarding the OP, that image is wrong in so many ways. Pollution from battery ingredients is generally not significant compared to pollution from say, the aluminium industry.

the compelling argument is that the human involvement in the ozone depletion is a bunch of crap. the whole thing came from a bunch of (intentionally?) faulty measurements decades ago. it's still presented today as some undeniable fact by overly smug, poorly-educated persons such as you.

I want to bury my face on those thighs.

wtf I hate Alberta now