"Who is Linux made by?"

"Who is Linux made by?"

A question posed by my mother, when discussing why I don't use Windows anymore.

I tried to explain that the development is done by people all over the world.

"Who?"

People interested in building an OS that is free.

"But who are those people?"

...uh...er...they are just programmers and the like. They don't work for a company to produce Linux. It's mostly by donations in their free time.

"See, I'm not comfortable with that."

She is open to the idea of using Linux, but how do I explain to her (and others) how Linux is made/supported/etc?

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/news/paid-developers-power-the-linux-kernel/
git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/MAINTAINERS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a lot of money is made by developing Linux
companies like Intel, Google, even MicroSoft contribute to Linux development with patches and money

why would you want your mom to use fuckin linux? why would she want to use a *nix os?

You mom is stupid.

Why the fuck would you make your poor mother use Linux?

No matter if you think Linux is a piece of shit or deny that fact she's the total opposite of Linux' target audience

I'd need a picture of her to answer your question.

this

you also forgot to interject, pleb

Tell her that the code can be checked by everyone, so people can find bugs and security holes rather quickly...and even check if it has anything suspicious inside. Also

Is that true for all distros?

I don't care either way. She saw me using it and started asking questions.

I mentioned this to her. She wondered if that also meant someone could insert something malicious more easily.

The kernel is made by paid developers of various companies, for being used in servers, phones and such.

The DEs are made by amateur volunteers and companies like Canonical and Redhat.

Tell her OSx was made out of Linux.

Who makes Windows?
>Microsoft
But WHO. I need names.

Most Linux developers are paid for their work.
cnet.com/news/paid-developers-power-the-linux-kernel/

> She wondered if that also meant someone could insert something malicious more easily.
Yes and no. Since anyone can modify Linux or one of its distributions, anyone can create a malicious Linux distribution. That said, you're not downloading Yuri's Linux distribution from some Bulgarian imageboard, you're getting something used by many people. By the terms of the GPL, these distros have to publish their source. If the source is malicious, it will be found out very quickly. As far as distributing compromised binaries goes, it's just as easy for some CIA or PLA operative to compromise binaries at Canonical as at Microsoft. One major difference is that all the utilities you download have to publish their source to become part of the distro's repo, so if you download from the repo, you're much less likely to get malware than if you download executables from the internet (which you do when you're running windows).

lel

>Who is Linux made by?
Communists and murderers

Tell her about Redhat, OP.

Not OP, but go fuck yourself you little piece of shit.

Linus Sebastian you dumb fuck

The meme man Richardo Stalledman

Well, most Linux users are programmers to some extend, and that's why we have the best tool chains for basically everything.

Also, most super computer software runs on linux and in many cases the APIs to comunicate to them also run only on linux.

Beneath that, you can tell your mom what I told my mom when I installed Linux on her machine many years ago: "I manage your computer, therefore I chose what platform I would want to troubleshoot when something goes wrong"

Tell her she an idiot for trusting an evil corporation that gives away their software for "free" in order to profit from your personal data/information.
Rather than trusting a community of devs, many unpaid, who do what they do cause of their love for Linux/FOSS. And are required to follow ethical guidelines in order to have their software published, and loose all credibility and privileges if they sell us out.

>Is that true for all distros?
Yes, the list of maintainers of the Linux kernel is like 50% Intel employees. You can see the full list here:

git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/MAINTAINERS

WinRAR

Set her up with Fedora and tell her Red Hat, Inc. backs it.

>for all distros
Indirectly if not directly. A lot of the upstream has benefited from these contributions

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Autism

Your mum sounds p cool desu

Can we have more Stallman copypaste?

Arguing with your mom about computers is pretty autistic man.

Linus Torvalds and his prof

>not mentioning the marvelous Richard Stallman

please, go away and dont come back

This

>Who is Linux made by
Linus torvalds, fucking newfag