Windows Powershell vs BASH

Why do people even try and learn powershell? it's a piece of shit compared to bash. also takes much longer and more money to learn. Bash is free and easy to learn if you have the time.

>inb4 Bash is for autists

Because Powershell is a part of the most used OS in the world, the glorious Microsoft Windows and not some obscure piece of autist garbage like Loonix.

Apart from "glorious" part and "obscure piece..." yeah, thats the main reason.

Nobody stops you from learning some obscure programming language as well, for your own needs, but if you would want to seek job related to it, you would probably face problems, as everyone and their mothers would use more popular ones and expect you to know that.

The bigger company you would work in, the bigger chance that they will use Windows, at least in Europe. Again, nobody stops you from using Linux daily, but in work conditions, you would HAVE to know Windows.

powershell syntax is garbage

They should've adopted a more simpler syntax like bash

>more money to learn

this has to be bait

>Why do people even try and learn powershell? it's a piece of shit compared to bash
And both are utter garbage when compared to zsh

Does it really matter any more? You can run bash in PS now.

I agree.

left: >looks like pascal plebs
right: > masterrace

2/10
this is already a bait thread

You can't access Windows binaries or NTFS files, so why even bother? Bash in Windows is useless for the most part.

>more simpler

>Bash
ksh is where it's at

What? So nothing like Cygwin's /cygdrive? Why.

you can, just mount it or run from cmd/powershell

with the new anniversary release windows has both powershell AND bash
where is your god now?

Bash is better. You do realise that's one of the reasons why bash was ported to windows, right?

Thanks, GNU

So lets see, with powershell I can:

- Manipulate XML, SQL, and filestream objects
- Can run C code in the script
- Call to WMI wherever needed
- Digitally sign the script
- Manage AD / Exchange / Hyper-V / etc
- Run functions that continue after reboot
- Call UI objects (windows, buttons, file load / save, etc)
- Build a full UI on xAML

Bonus round:
- Get paid

Yeah, I'll stick with powershell thanks.

zsh is for autist, Bash is fucking powerful and used in the enterprise world, powershell is a bad attempt at making a god tier shell, GNU always wins over Microsoft

powershell pretty much sums up Microsoft's response to Linux
>oh you want this thing that Windows doesn't have? let me implement a subpar inhouse alternative with 3/4 of the functionality

The way objects are passed around through pipes is interesting. I don't like the naming scheme they have but aliases still exist so who cares.
They're different. If you don't need all the extra stuff you get with pipes in powershell maybe you think bash's text streams are better because or how simple they are.

Powershell is way more powerful, but Bash is much nicer to use.

>Yeah, I'll stick with powershell thanks.
You're welcome.