/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Had a decent thread the other day. I'm not even doing a build right now, I just like talking about computer parts. Helped clean up the board a bit too.

pcpartpicker.com/ - Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
logicalincrements.com/ - Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.

pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL - General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.

Post your list, rate other user's, ask questions in general.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/pnHykT
pcpartpicker.com/list/XpwRJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/fz3p8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/YYhHBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/q6jFGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/fnJrVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/3PHykT
pcpartpicker.com/list/cyBV7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/bHjFGf
uk.hardware.info/reviews/6813/56-power-supplies-of-350-550-watt-review.
pcpartpicker.com/list/GRWRkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/WgdRkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/KQ8Nqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZZ8V7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/gLJL2R
nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx480/
pcpartpicker.com/list/XyqvWX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just to kick things off, and give a good example, What do you guys think of this build?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/pnHykT
Use case is mostly for 1440p gaming (Witcher 3, GTAV, Doom, WoW), budget is $1200 but I prefer to keep it low as possible while having good parts. I plan on clocking the cpu to about 4.0ghz. Is the 212 good enough for that while keeping reasonable temps? Is the power supply high wattage / stable enough for this?

Actually, I should have put that in the OP:
State the reason you are building (Gaming? Video editing? Home server / Gtpc?), your budget, any important features to you. State your local currency.

How does this look for a $900ish build?

pcpartpicker.com/list/XpwRJV

I know there's no graphics card, the processor graphics are more than enough (confirmed using a friend's machine which has an i3 and no GPU). I'm mainly going be doing programming in languages with long compile times, like Haskell and Scala.

You can get away with like a 400W power supply or even less really, if you aren't using a graphics card.
Also will you actually be using the optical drive for anything other than install? Because you can install your OS via usb drive, it's usually easier, actually.
If you want to save about $20-30, the 6500 is the same chip as the 6600, just a little lower clocked.
The rest of the system seems pretty good.

550W is the lowest wattage that the G2 is produced in, according to the site. Do you know of a model that's of similar quality that's available in 400W?

I'll be using the optical drive for watching DVDs, as well as install. Call me old-fashioned.

I'll have a look at CPU prices when I make the purchase, when I put the list together I think there was little price difference between the 6500 and the 6600. Thanks for the heads up!

If you actually use the optical drive, no shame. A lot of people just end up installing one because they think they need it to install their OS/Drivers and end up never touching it past that.

As to the power supply, a system drawing as little power as that won't need "the best" power supply around. I didn't make that pastebin in the OP, but it's worth checking it out. I'd just find any 400w or 450w bronze or gold power supply though. If you think you might need a graphics card later, then the 550w from that supernova will give be plenty. So you have plenty of options.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at lower-power PSUs. I think it's unlikely I'll need a graphics card, I don't do much gaming any more, and when I do it's old games for nostalgia.

US, web, hd video streaming and light gaming. $300-$350 budget.

quiet, low power, things to fiddle with.

What do you guys think of this. I picked some parts for my friend who wanted a low $1000s gaming pc, no super cpu intensive stuff

pcpartpicker.com/list/fz3p8K

If you're only gonna use onboard graphics I would highly recommend getting the K version. It's only $25 more and it's a huge performance gain

I've heard that sub $50 gpu's actually perform worse than integrated graphics a lot of the time. Though sometimes if it's an APU paired with a radeon card, you can actually use crossfire to get them to play nice together. I would look into that a bit more.
I'm actually impressed. What OS will you be using? If it's Linux, I heard it can be difficult to get Radeon drivers working properly. If it's windows (I'm assuming Pirated or Kinguin key), then ignore that bit.

You don't need a Z170 with that memory and processor

I'd be super wary of a 3TB Seagate HDD at that price

You can get a G2 PSU that is better and cheaper

Thanks for the feedback

No probs. I'd see what other anons think too, I could be wrong

What motherboard would you recommend. I'm a bit of an asus fanboy but I imagine my friend doesn't care

You probably want an H170 or B150 chipset. I can't recommend any particular manufacturer, sorry.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/fz3p8K
Cx power supplies are shit. Corsair power supplies in general are fine, but CX products use cheap as fuck chinese capacitors and are failure prone.

I also changed out the case, removed one of your two fans (since the s340's rear exhaust is fine) changed the grapghics card to a sliiightly cheaper one. Changed memory to dual channel because seriously, just use dual channel. Changed the graphics card to a slightly cheaper version fo the same card.
pcpartpicker.com/list/YYhHBP
my take on your list. Besides the power supply thing, Everything I changed is personal preference.

>Intel Xeon L5639 @4.01GHz
>24GB DDR3 ECC 1333MHz CL6
>ASUS P6T SE
>Gainward Phantom GTX970
>120GB HyperX SSD + 2TB HDD
>Corsair CX750M
>Xigmatek Gaia II cooler
>2001 Server case

What do I upgrade first?

I didn't know that about the PSU thanks for the heads up

pcpartpicker.com/list/q6jFGf
Trying to build me a decent gaming PC since I'm sick of my old ass emachine computer. If theres anything that I should replace that can save me money whatsoever, don't hesitate to call me a faggot and tell me what things need to go/stay.

install gentoo

pcpartpicker.com/list/fnJrVY

How I do?

Do any of you anons think this is a good build or too expersive. The reason why I want to build this is because I want to take advantage of my song 4K tv and I don't want to shill out to another 4K monitor

pcpartpicker.com/list/3PHykT

>$150 in fittings
>only cooling the CPU in a custom loop
>a single thin 240 for the CPU

Just buy a CLC and go away.

Well the rad was for an ITX build I was going to do and the gtx 1080 I'm getting cost $750 and will add good cooling to gpu itself so I don't see the point of buying a gpu waterblock for it.

>Plus I completely forget the itx x99 mobo so I change the build a bit

pcpartpicker.com/list/cyBV7h

pcpartpicker.com/list/bHjFGf

$131. GPU included

Quick question, why the more expensive monitor yet its only 60hz and a 4ms response time? Wouldn't I want the other one I picked for gaming and it was a bit cheaper too.

Ok, I see you're gaming at 1080p 144hz. The 1070 is a taad overkill for this, you can get a gtx 1060 for about $120 less. The 1070 is really designed around 1440p gaming.
Almost everything else can be cheapened significantly in this. I'm assuming you won't be doing any high level photoshop / video editing / other production work and your only demanding application is video games.

-First, the 6700 isn't really worth it compared to a 6600k, since the 6600k can be easily overclocked to reach similar or better performance in games.
-The power supply is quite expensive. You can find cheaper ones that work just as well. Your choice though. If you like it, keep it.
-It would be easier to order 2 8gb ram sticks together, and they will look better. You can set pcpartpicker to filter that for you. If you don't care then ignore this part.
-The wireless card is expensive. Unless your download speeds at home exceed 200mb/s you can find any wireless AC card that will be just as good for much cheaper. Or just use ethernet. Ethernet is sooooooooo much better.
-Everybody has different data storage needs, but personally I've had a 1tb HDD and a 250gb ssd boot drive for a year now, and I've only saved about 200gb of data to the hard disk and have a few large games saved to the ssd. You can save about $35-40 by buying a 1tb hard drive instead of a 2tb.

oops. Meant to reply to I've made like 10 posts ITT. I'll be back tomorrow.

2560x1440.
144Hz is a meme, trust me.
I play CS:GO, which is mostly the reason people buy 120/144Hz monitors to tell themselves they're gonna get better at it.

Here's my plan. 7600 has adjustable tdp, 3.1-3.3 ghz in 45w, 3.3-3.8 in 65w. You can the iGPU in bios to ~1000Mhz in 65w mode @ stock voltage. I want to use it in 45w with the integrated graphics for general use. Should run cool and quiet and be plenty for web browsing and video streaming.

Then when I want to game on the weekend, bump it to 65w, enable iGPU o/c and xfire the 250. The integrated r7 graphics have 384 spu's
and so does the 250, from reviews I've read this actually works well in du Plan on oval graphics.
> What OS will you be using?
I have a ssd with a legit windows 8.1 on it. I can move it to the new build and re-activate eh?

The CPU
just for your sake hope that zen is good

going to grab an rx 470 once it releases

I thought of upgrading to X79+3930K when they become relatively cheap, always had some kind of bad experience with both AMD CPUs and GPUs.

What's a good overkill build for 2300 look like?

>upgradeing to sandy bridge
>in 2016
Your a poorfag so again for your sake hope that zen is good

6950x and gtx 1080

I'm just not a retarded consumerist that has to have everything brand new.

Why the fuck would I upgrade to let's say, a 6700K when an overclocked 3930K is going to be better in pretty much everything?

whoops

Anyways, is the next step but I think would be overkill for my needs and will prob need a better psu. or is 280w on a cheap 430 okay? Back to work...shitty work

I'd swap that cooler for a Cryorig H7 if you wanna stick with air-cooling. If you really wanna be overkill, get a NH-D14 or NH-D15. The fans are ugly, but the cooling is superb.

I have the Hyper 212X and while it's a good cooler (and the improved version of the EVO), installing it was an utter pain in the arse.

PSU should be fine, but you could upgrade to a 600W to give you a bit more legroom.

Also, why no SSD?

Seems solid. I honestly wouldn't change much. By my head math though it would only cost you $30 to upgrade that to a 6600k, 8gb ddr4 ram, and a z170 motherboard. If that's worth it to you is your decision.

That SSD is trash. Don't buy it. The initial versions of it were good but Kingston did something shady and the new ones don't perform as well.

Kinda curious about why you're not hopping to Skylake, given that this is a new build. From what I can see, the 6600K is only a few more dollars expensive than the 4690K.

r8 and h8 my build. the power supply and graphics card are a carry over from my current build, but am planning on getting a 1080 (possibly 2) and a new power supply sometime later this year

r8 pls

Disgusting af

just moved to UK, never built anything before, no idea what I'm doing
gaming and art, maybe a bit of 3d modelling if I manage to get on that train, and programming

I don't know if I need micro ATX but I'd like to keep it around honestly, something compact with the limited room I have is nice

>i7-6770k
>gtx 970

what are you doing nigga

you read the post or not?

I actually got the cpu from microcenter for like 60 dollars cheaper and I already had ddr3 ram from an am3+ build. If they were actually the same price for me i'd get skylake obviously.

Just get a RX 480 instead then you can get a proper samsung ssd instead of pny trash

Don't get the NEX PSU. Get the EVGA SuperNova G2 series.

probably gonna downgrade the video card to something like the 1060

pls no bully

why am3+?

I'm carrying the cpu, cpu cooler, HDD+SSD, and OS from previous build. So naturally went with AM3+, never had any issues with it

read the damn post

Is this looking sexy? I already have SSD storage. Also I might just get a 400w version of that PSU for £56. The CPU cooler is also open to change but silence is priority. That one in particular is able to turn off the fan when needed for passive cooling.

Also to those just buying the same run-of-the-mill PSUs without doing much research, I'd recommend checking out this article comparing 56 power supplies: uk.hardware.info/reviews/6813/56-power-supplies-of-350-550-watt-review.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GRWRkT
Hows this for a poorfag build

400w is kinda low if you ever plan to overclock

i'd spend the extra money on an unlocked cpu and z170 mobo.

Thoughts? Was thinking about maybe buying a better case but not sure. I bought the cpu/hdd/cpu cooler from a friend for $200 together. Also already bought the gpu.

Finishing up a summer internship, figure I'd use some of my money to splurge on this.

r8?

Asus is shit get a gigabyte, msi, or asrock

The 480 is better than the 1060

isn't Asrock shite, or was that in the past?

>asus is shit
>get asrock

lolwut

>buttmad asus fags still paying more for less because some magical properties makes asus better

Long in the past, the best Z97 board was the Extreme9 and the best X99 board was the OC formula

>starting with buttmad

automatically discredited any point you were trying to make

pcpartpicker.com/list/WgdRkT
For htpc/medium gaming

What Is Sup Forums's opinion?

Also looking for lower budget power gaming/ heavy server use. Like to keep I under $700 usd

pcpartpicker.com/list/KQ8Nqk

Rate my build, please.

I'm considering getting a WD Black instead of Blue and am considering a different brand of SSD since I've heard Samsungs die easily. Thoughts?

Also. any 1440p monitors you recommend? I plan on getting 2. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Here i fixed your build
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZZ8V7h

I don't need anywhere 3TB of space. What is your reasoning for changing the MB, case, and PSU?

>Case
the 450D looks better and has better airflow

>PSU
evga isn't based of seasonic reference so i changed it to something i was

>hard drive
its bigger and faster while only being a little bit more than the WD blue

>MB
no real reason i just thought it would look better with a red theme, both motherboards are equal in quality and features

Pic related is my current build.
Got most of the parts from a friend, which is why there are some weird combinations.

I think I can make one upgrade this year, and I'm trying to decide between the cpu or mobo. The motherboard is pretty good, but it doesn't support the newer cpu architectures.
On the other hand, the cpu is quite weak (only dual core), and is also limiting my ram speed.

Should I upgrade the cpu to something like a 4460 and stick with an older generation, or upgrade the mobo and live with the weak cpu for a while?

this user has a better build for a 250, just stuff it in a htpc case. if you dont want xfire, the iGP in a a8 7xxx is essentially a r7 250

If anyone wants to look, here's the link.
pcpartpicker.com/list/gLJL2R

Another $60 on better airflow and storage I'll never use isn't worth it for me, thanks for trying to help though. I'd appreciate insight on the stuff I asked about, if you're willing to share your thoughts.

Just bought an i5-6500, ASrock Z170M motherboard, Hyper 212 EVO and 8GB of DDR4 2400MHz RAM today. Motherboard was $100, RAM $30 and EVO $20. i5-6500 was $155 used. How'd I do?

I plan on unofficially overclocking it via BIOS downgrade. Waiting for an RX 480 to be in stock ANYTIME NOW.

I swear I've been waiting for this entire month. I just want to play video games

you did good

use this to find a RX 480 in stock
nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx480/

What could you possibly be doing that a 3930k is better than a 6700k?

>Safe PSUs:
>Low end:
>Be quiet! Pure Power L8
>Be quiet! System Power 7
>Mainstream:
>Cooler Master GM
>Antec VPF
>Fractal Design Integra M
>Super Flower Golden Green HX
>High-End:
>be quiet! Straight Power 10
>Straight Power 10 CM
>Seasonic G-series
>XFX TS Gold
>Antec True Power Classic
>Enermax Revolution X't II
>Cooler Master V

How about EVGA SuperNOVA (T2, P2, NEX, GS), SeaSonic S12II, or Corsair RM/RMx? This seems like a pretty limited list imo

Any thoughts??

Where did you get the processor for $150?

seems like a pretty solid build.
I would reconsider the psu, since that seems a bit overkill though.
Everything else seems pretty decent.

Mind helping me out a bit as well here? Not sure which component to upgrade first.

Get a better power supply (EVGA SuperNova is my recommendation).

Also, consider getting a mech keyboard over that combo. They're getting super cheap on Amazon right now.

pls r8 me Sup Forumsuys

Any specific cheap keyboard? I completely forgot about that specific part of my build so I just pick a cheap one with decent reviews
Bought it from a friend

EVGA is NOT based off seasonic reference so EVGA is shit tier by default

>1070
>not just getting 2 480s

r8, h8, mastrb8

>CLC
>no gpu
shit tier

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm borrowing a 780 from a friend who's getting a 1070. Whoops.

ITX gaming from old GPU and SSD, CPU is off an old workstation build I bought used.

I think the PSU is a little overkill.

thoughts?

pls respond

Do you guys think the CPU/GPU will give me 144 fps in games like Overwatch, Skyrim, DS3, and ESO?
pcpartpicker.com/list/XyqvWX
Any bullying or general tips/recommendations are welcome.

Can you still overclock non K skylake cpu's? or did intel block it with bios update?

>buying a 970 in 2016
just get a RX 480, its cheaper, newer, and faster