/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/grav-mass.html
stallman.org/rms-lifestyle.html
stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk
motherfuckingwebsite.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What does /fglt/ think of BSD?

Man, RMS is really starting to look like Santa Claus in his old age.

He brings the gift of freedom.

stallman.org/grav-mass.html

Stallman won't even have fun with even secular parts of christmas like Rudolph or Frosty, but grav-mass is just autism to a whole new level.

I broke my ubuntu install. how do I write over it with a fresh install?

I can't hear you over the sound of science.

With "broke" what do you mean exactly?

They either have no problem with it or will bring a lynch mob to this thread.

Personally I don't see an issue with using it. I considered it a while back but decided to stick with GNU/Linux for the ease of use.

I'm okay with GNU/BSD. I hope *BSD fans and us get along to fight the botnet

Get an installation/live CD and reinstall.

If you need to get your data off load a live CD and mount your hard drive, then copy it all to an external or SCP it to another computer.

You can reinstall without wiping your data if you have a seperate /home partition (if you don't you deserve what you get). A wee bit more involved if you use encryption but it can be done.

I don't really see the point of BSD. Then again, what's even the point of life.

It's very slow to update, relatively speaking, and won't always have everything you want, especially as it comes to hardware support.

This. Why should Linux and BSD and other Unix users be arguing amongst each other when we should be tearing down Microshaft and Applel?

I tried upgrading it and it broke. Doesn't boot anymore, there were some broken libraries but when I tried to download new ones and dpkg install it still didn't work.

just not worth fucking with further, I grabbed the files I needed off of there and learned to never have important files not backed-up on a linux install without paying any consequences.

Then a clean reinstall would do it I guess, since you already grabbed all your files.

Newbie Linux user here. Using VMware Workstation 12 Player to run Debian 8 (using Debian's desktop environment) on a Skylake PC.

Almost running perfectly. Browsing on it using Firefox just fine. However, I cannot get Debian to auto resize when I go full screen on VMware. It just looks like pic related with the only options for size are shown. I know it can be made to stretch, but can't get it to work. I think is has something to do with VMware tools, but I've tried for several days Googling and watching YouTube vids and getting no where. The tools are downloaded in Debian, but every time I try to get Terminal to run it, it refuses saying tools is already running or something to that effect. But honestly, I'm not sure if this is a Debian or VMware issue.

Other than that, these are the only other issues I hope to resolve eventually.

>Figure out how to run a VPN on it. Already have server addresses ready to go

>Get my Logitech mouse to work on it (back/forward buttons don't work)

>Figure out why using my Wacom touchpad will random place place a "Z". So odd.

I'm doing this because I want to use my Windows on my PC for HTPC/gaming purposes and Linux for surfing (hopefully any viruses/malware I catch will be confined to just to Linux/VMware and won't spread to Windows). Don't want to use any other distro or desktop environment. It's either this or abandoning Linux for several more years (try every so often to get it to work).

Gentoo doesn't have this problem.

so I went to my liveUSB, tried to do an install, I have a dual boot with win7 so I selected "do something else" as opposed to install ubuntu alongside other OS's or rewrite disk. I selected the partition that has the broken ubuntu on it and selected the same partition in the boot loader drop down. but when I clicked install an error message popped up that said something like: "no root partition available, please change in the partition menu"

I'm stumped.

you know that this is not a debian or general GNU/Linux problem right?
how about you dual boot and actually run GNU/Linux for real? that is a lot better than dealing with VMware.

What laptop is he using?

And why does he always wear that same red shirt everywhere?

openbsd is cool for network equipment
netbsd is cool for binary compat and a cool replacement for shitty old unices

overall the projects have provided us with great software and I am glad to see them still in use and frequent development

however I wish Theo and all the other special snowflakes would shut the fuck up and just develop

>Linux people do what they do because they hate Microsoft. We do what we do because we hate Linux.

Everytime I install arch, I have a new problem. This time, I partitioned my drive so that one of the paritions was an EFI system partition. I installed grub on it without a hitch.
I reboot, and I'm sent to the grub command line.
Is something broken? Well, I was able to manually boot into my root partition from there. I was greeted with a strange "root device is not configured to be mounted read-write" message in the boot log, but then everytjing worked fine.

How do I fix this nonsense? I don't particularly mind since it adds to the l33t h4ck3r cred I have to onlookers, but it is annoying to do it.

hard to say with what you've told us. you might have forgotten something like grub-mkconfig

See, that's what I thought, but that isn't the case.

Do I even need a swap partition if I have 16 gigs of memory?

also posted in /tpg/ but ill ask here too:
my brightness controls (fn+home and fn+end) as well as the sleep button (fn+f4) have stopped working correctly on my t420 with arch and openbox.
the brightness can still go up and down, but the lowest settings just turn off the backlight completely instead of getting dimmer. i can still bring it back up from there though
the sleep button does nothing.
i have no idea what i've done to cause this, as they were all working fine one day and not the next.
acpi_listen sees all of them just fine
if i log in as root (who has nothing installed) they all work perfectly, i suspect because of thinkpad-acpi included in the kernel.
any suggestions??

8 GB here and no swap. Runs just fine

Takk

i have 4gb and it fine.

>tfw no documentation for Void Linux

Hello friends.

I booted into my xubuntu partition for the first time in a while.

All I did was sudo-apt-upgrade and then installed a gtk theme. Then I quickly rebooted into windows to do something for a second, then booted back into xubuntu.

Now my desktop is a bit messed up.
The text on the icons looks weird and when I move an icon part of the white text gets stuck on the original position (as indicated by the Trash icon in the pic)

Sorry for this retarded question but what's wrong here?

You lose the ability to hibernate your machine, but it's a fair trade for 500 MB RAM if you ask me

Oops somehow the white text that gets stuck didn't capture on the screenshot.

Just imagine the white "Trash" text being under the "750GB Volume" icon instead of by the Trash icon.

so im trying to install slackware 14.2 on my laptop, but i keep running into issues trying to connect to the internet wireless. I have managed to get the network manager daemon to execute, but whenever i try to connect to the internet i get an error that says dhcp isn't running. so then i ran dhcpcd with my wireless card, and now im stuck with an error that says it cant receive an ip. any suggestions?

>I use a Thinkpad X60 computer, in which the FSF installed a free initialization program (libreboot) and a free operating system (Trisquel GNU/Linux.) T

>Not all my shirts are red or purple, but many are. I like those colors.
stallman.org/rms-lifestyle.html
stallman.org/stallman-computing.html

That would explain why all the tshirts and hoodies are that colour on his shop.

The best gravmass song:
youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

Thank you!

oh god i just looked at fsf new shop design and why the fuck.

How to discover interesting things to do on ZeroNet?

Caffaine search

Is this a zite?

I've never tried to dual-boot before, but I think this should follow the same principle as installing regularly - you should have the option to create partitions or have them made for you automatically (I'm assuming you select your Ubuntu parition and it behaves like an entire drive). You still need to tell it what to do. You've got the box, now you need to put dividers in.

But again, I've never dual-booted, so I could be talking out of my ass. Hopefully I only get called a faggot once if I'm wrong.

Hello Sup Forumsentleman
I'm really looking forward to jump on linux and been looking for a distro for a while and need your advice.
I've hated ubuntu without even using it just by reading about it.
Debian seems like a good choice. It's stable - just what I want my laptop to be but has outdated software which might not be good for doing some stuff. I know there's branches I think they're called like testing and sid with newer software but I don't feel ready for that just yet.
Fedora and Arch seem pretty good too and have the latest software but kind of unstable so basically my question is

tldr - Is there a good distro that is at the middle of this stability cutting edge scale?

> bare HTML

Why, Stallman. Take the hour to make a decent CSS sheet. I will make one for you, even.

I personally find Fedora perfectly stable (you need to use DNF to update the OS every 6-13 months, but that's not a huge hassle), but if you really don't like it, I'd recommend Antergos or Korora.

There are also spins of Ubuntu and Fedora if your only objection to Ubuntu is Unity.

Thanks man.
Is the stuff I hear about Fedora being a test bed for Red Hat and controlled by the FBI just memes?

Stallman browses the web in text. He follows a similar guideline to this: motherfuckingwebsite.com/

I like this design ethic. Any customisation can be done clientside.

Why are GNU/Linux users so tsundere towards BSD?

> controlled by the FBI
Memes.

> test bed for Red Hat
It's upstream RHEL. They implement things early in Fedora and update and improve them for a few years before adding them to RHEL. The versions added to Fedora ARE complete and functional software, though, and Fedora is a complete and functional OS. It is well-supported, and quite stable.

I can appreciate that approach, but just a small amount of colors, font variance, and formatting goes a long way towards making things look nice, and can be done lightweight and fast.

God damn that guy is a nutjob.

I got a question about GPG? How important is the key fingerprint? Often a program or OS doesn't have their GPG key fingerprint listed on the website, I'm paranoid if it's not the legit program or not the legit key if I don't double check to make sure the fingerprint matches what it's supposed to say.

Good to know man. Thanks for the useful responses. Will give it a try soon

yes

Tried it as a desktop OS.
Nope. Nope. Nope.

what the fuck is wrong?

vbox-linux% sudo groupadd sftpusers
groupadd: group 'sftpusers' already exists
vbox-linux% sudo useradd -m -g sftpusers -R /home/user -s /bin/bash user
useradd: group 'sftpusers' does not exist

> How important is the key fingerprint?
Very important it how you find out who gpg key is. especially if your trying to find it on a pgp server.
>'m paranoid if it's not the legit program or not the legit key if I don't double check to make sure the fingerprint matches what it's supposed to say.
Usually the key is always legit. program just detects names sub names and keys and so on. And if the program is incorrect always look up the pgp server.

well, check the groups file and see if it's there. if it isn't, add it.

its in /etc/groups

Which browser do you use?

chrome.

sudo adduser user sftpusers

there is no adduser command

What's the best Linux distribution for security?

Firefox

Recently installed fedora after unsuccessful Debian adventure. What is the program/command for displaying your OS + specs for your system? I see it on Sup Forums every once in a while.

nevermind fucking forget it i give up on linux im tired of losing every day i boot it up to an error that takes me all day to fix for something that should be so fucking simple yeah im frustrated fuck linux, i hope it continues to fail and something that isnt broken shit that invents new problems every single day replaces it

So when you disable the root user, what happens to the password? I'm going to install slackware, use password as a temporary password and when I make my regular user, disable the root account. What is going to happen to the root password? Does it get reset and I'll have to make a new one if I decided to re-enable the root user?

useradd is sometimes valid

Would this process work?

> get thumb drive
> installing Linux to laptop
> put boot partition on thumb drive
> laptop cannot boot without it
> added layer of physical security

What do you guys think? I also read something about putting the hard drive's encryption key on the thumb drive but I never could get that to work.

> disabling root
Why in god's name would you do this. You can't delete the root account if that's your plan, and if you lose your root password you need to reinstall the OS if you ever want to use it again.

There was some process with a livecd to change the root password that way but I haven't used it since I was 15.

I was referring to disable root login user. You can do that and disable SSH root login.

Is NetworkManager good?

>Would this process work?
Yes.

How I find this zite?

Trying to install xorg-server, sys-devel/llvm-3.7.1-r3::gentoo is either stuck or taking a very, very long time to emerge. What's happening?

Pale Moon

It's irrelevant to him. He download the HTML and open on emac, he doesn't applies CSS, JS, Flash, Java, Silverlight, Shockwave, etc.

Does it say it's fetching it? Do you have output? There's by default a lot of output. But llvm takes about 30 minutes on average for me.

had enough with windows 10, what linux distro should I use?

I want something unified, somewhat stable, looks nice, etc

Ubuntu - go look at GNOME, xFce, KDE, Cinnamon and pick whatever one suits your fancy.

I just mean unified as in it doesn't feel clunky and weird just switching between programs

Ubuntu or Fedora with KDE or Cinnamon.

Comfy as fuck.

> obligatory install gentoo

mine :^)

What is the purpose behind using opensuse? Is it a meme?

How do I find this information? I've never installed before.

My system clock keeps getting out of sync when I suspend my computer. Is there a way to run systemctl openntpd.service restart on wake or some other way to get this corrected? Using Libreboot/X200 combo.

what's the purpose of anything? Is it a meme?

also don't like it because of lunduke, but no one here probably cares about anyone besides stallmeme or linus

I'm using Xubuntu 16.04, and my mouse scroll speed is a little bit slow.

how can i fix this?

>He doesn't use tourchpad
laughing_whores.jpg

touchpad

If you don't pass --quiet, --jobs (or some others) to emerge, it will print the entire compiler output.

To check if its running, look at top or something. If you are using 100% of your CPU, it's running.

Is there a way to get diagnostic information on wi-fi connection? My laptop stopped connecting (despite detecting the access points just fine) and it doesn't say why.

It just failed.

How do you change the colour & text colour of minimised windows in tint2conf?
I can change the colour of everything else but I can't find the option to change this. I feel like I'm missing something probably obvious.

I installed kubuntu and I can't figure out what the hell is going on with the Discover package manager. I search for 'zsh' and it gives no results. I look in the installed section and it shows 55 results. Is this broken or am I missing something?

Which Thinkpad models does RMS use?