I don't trust a computer to drive safely! Self-driving cars should be illegal!

> I don't trust a computer to drive safely! Self-driving cars should be illegal!

Why are people so retarded when it comes to automobiles?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_47utWAoupo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why do retards make strawmen, OP?

Meanwhile, the common saying goes to treat every other driver as a bad driver.

> I don't trust a human to drive safely! Human-driven cars should be illegal!

both are right in a way

Self-driving cars are probably already safer than I am.

the thing I don't trust them to do is "not keep a record of everywhere I go in perpetuity for advertisers and law enforcement"

but they should be, unless they are completely foss. also, those cars shouldn't be allowed to make decisions in cases where anyone could die

Tom

s/would/could/

I agree that tracking is a huge concern. I'm not sure how that will play out.

Saying a computer couldn't handle driving a car better than a human, especially once they're more commonplace and the grid is more automated, is retarded.

We already basically let computers run our trains, planes, rocket ships, etc.

Self-driving cars are safer than most of the people. They don't drink alcohol, they don't talk with telephone while driving, they don't argue with their kids/friends/wife/husband. They don't sleep. Humans. Saying goes like:
Humans are the weakest link in the security chain.

That's why you shouldn't sleep/do things that fucks your focus and decision making while travelling in a self-driving car. I'm not saying this, the companies do.

>We already basically let computers run our trains, planes, rocket ships, etc.
yeah but there are always human operators at least on standby. imagine there would be a situation where the computer has to decide who has to die.

There's no way I'd ever buy an autonomous vehicle that would consider solving a trolley dilemma in the other party's favour, and there's been a lot of bragging about just that lately.

I can see it working on public transport but that's about it. It doesn't help that I really enjoy driving too.

>Why are people so retarded when it comes to automobiles?
There are people that are too dumb to pass a driving license test I guess

stfu

This.

I think the cars should be automated but with an emergency override in case shit has truly hit the fan. The problem is that everyone would just enable the override at all times and we'd be back where we are now.

Personally, I think a computer would probably make better decisions in a panic situation than a human (think I, Robot where the robot saved the person with the greatest chance of survival).

But of course that's a whole other can of worms.

Trains, planes, and rocketships operate in a less dynamic environment.

>Personally, I think a computer would probably make better decisions in a panic situation than a human
nah, all sjw will force them to prioritize gay, niggers, women, transsexuals, every kind of minority, etc over white males

I don't think it would ever work because the the car companies would either get sued every time an accident occurred ever or would have to genuinely had out blank cheques to anyone involved in an accident and that could never be as profitable as just selling people typical cars.

Those companies will eventually sell their users to the government. It's not that I don't trust a computer, it's that I don't trust the company and government to fuck me over for whatever reason and decide my car shouldn't move because.

If the cars had a primarly mechanical backup system always available, say you push the throttle and move the steering wheel and it actually goes where you want overriding the computer I wouldn't mind it in that case.

Holy fuck that is actually a very good point. I actually didn't think about that.

It'll only work if all cars are forced to use computer control, and they can synchronize and stuff. This visual system is always going to be buggy as shit, except you can't debug a life.

i still wouldn't trust the software. image some company as incompetent as microsoft would program that shit

There was someone who used their cell phone camera to catch a slot machine cheating. Instead of windrawing $1 per turn. It would occasionally take $2.

>I don't drink alcohol at all
>I never use the phone when I drive
>I don't even listen to the radio when I drive
>Of all the years I've been driving, I have never, ever been in an accident

So why should I be replaced just because there are some retards out on the road? People will continue to be retards and cause accidents even when there are autopilot/self-driving cars. But this isn't the biggest issue.

The biggest issue is how the computers react to life/death situation where it has to swerve somewhere and choose who to kill. Currently, self-driving cars are programmed to crash itself on the side of the road and kill you just to protect some dumbfuck who stepped on the road without looking.

Also muh driving experience.

Self driving tech is really just useless feature creep no one asked for nor cares about.

>year 2060
>driving in my Microsoft (TM) Windows (TM) WinCar (TM) Car (TM)
>a child in one side and a adult pregnant other side
>easy
>go to slow motion because we have chips in our heads now
>choose kid is kill
>mfw blue screen
>mfw both dies
>mfw stuck in slow mo rest of my life

wait there's self-driven trains and planes?

Can't trust these SJWs working at google with handling simple google searches. Much less a car.

>Why are people so retarded when it comes to automobiles?

probably because only 5 years ago, features as simple as stopping in front of a big box on the road failed 20% of the time.

youtube.com/watch?v=_47utWAoupo

People believe the new technology when they see it, not when a scifi cultist fantasizes about it. And yeah, most people drive daily so they wont put up with the total naivety of non-drivers either.

retard alt-righter falling for a bait that a kindergartener could have made

Would the car prefer minorities?

no, they use assist functions. You get away with only one person per train nowadays. Keeping people's attention would be a new problem unless you're fine with the imperfect computer doing all the driving

Fucking this. Shit does NOT work nearly as well as the people trying to make this fucking nightmare shit that will NEVER work are trying to tell you.

There are far too many variables, far too many unusual situations, far too many things that people will handle correctly often enough over computers that make humans still much safer. Computers may be safer than humans with the easy things, but when you factor in unpredictability, humans win every single goddamn time.

Topic goddamn over. Self driving cars WILL NEVER HAPPEN, and if they try to force them into happening in widespread adoption, THERE WILL BE MAJOR FUCKUPS that make the meager human accident rate look like goddamn nothing.

It's not really retardation, it's hardwired into our brains, We're 1000x more likely to accept risks that you can control than risks you can't control

Aka people will still fear self driving cars until they are 1000x safer than a human driver, and even then human minds might not be able to comprehend the statistics and might continue to irrationally fear them

Cause you're human and I don't trust you like how I don't trust myself

> test that google search myself
> pic related shows up

people are also more afraid of things if they're dramatic than if they're mundane, even if the mundane things are a much bigger risk, by the numbers. Crashing your car because you were tired or tipsy or didn't see some dude merging into you or because you were fucking with the radio is mundane. Hackers taking over your car and driving you off a bridge, on the other hand, is dramatic.

> variables
> literally all caused by humans fucking around

It just needs to get more widespread. I have no doubts that the technology will improve.

It's not the computers I don't trust, it's the programmers

damaged roads and obstacles are also a problem, as are roads that are not perfectly straight and unknown to the machine.

I don't trust computers altogether

the chick in the pic doesn't even look very asian. it might very well be a latina.

don't mind me, just hacking this nigga's car

lmao

This. It's one thing in the city and on highways where everything is clearly marked. Out in the sticks where half the time you don't even have a paved road, never mind painted lines? It ain't happenin'.

>Would the car prefer minorities?

It doesn't have to be a race issue. It could be a status thing instead. If you somebody with special status, rich famous, etc. and you're in an ambulance being rushed to the hospital they will pull over all the cars to the side. But if you're middle class or poor? The ambulance will stop at stop signs and wait at red lights. Bringing the "minority" issue to light is only one of many ways the technology can go wrong.

this really belongs on However I doubt technology will be advanced enough to the point fully automated cars become the norm.