1080 a shit?

So I just put together a new system. i5-6600k, 16GB DDR4, MSI GTX 1080, Corsair RM 550x PSU. I somehow seem to be getting 15-45FPS across the board in every game I have regardless of settings or resolution. I have the latest drivers installed. Furmark shows I'm not thermal throttling and that GPU usage is at 100% when testing. It only applies to games. I have no idea what the hell is going on. Tried googling and didn't turn up much. Pls help I'm scared I wasted $700.

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/gpudb/2839/geforce-gtx-1080
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pls respond

Right off the bet it sounds like your PSU isn't powerful enough

Reinstall windows, if that doesn't work then return your GPU

Install gentoo

Your psu isn't supplying enough dickwad.

His system uses like 250W at load. You're a fucking idiot.

Open up nVidia control panel and go to the power management setting. Make sure it's set to maximum performance. Secondly, make sure DSP is off.

it is innecessarily powerful for 1080, and underpowered for 4k, so it is stupid.

I had DSR off and I have the power setting to maximum. IT's also in single-screen performance mode instead of multi. Tried latest drivers and rolled back a few. None of that worked. Still getting 30 FPS in Valley on high at 2K. Furmark also said there wasn't any throttling from power consumption. At load my system should draw 430 watts at most. I have a gold rated 550 watt. So it should be peachy. I'm stumped.

I've done some googling around and I've found similar posts but no one seems to have posted a solution. The ones that have been posted aren't applicable like uninstalling afterburner and turning off Recount mod for WoW. I don't play WoW and I never had afterburner installed. Might have to RMA this. That would blow.

maybe try turning off onboard cpu integrated gpu...

It's off.

maybe your cpu is thermal throttling, check the cpu fan pins and maybe reapply thermal paste.

u could also try checking for motherboard bios updates

Only thing I can think of is you bought the cheapest lowest speed ram and its affecting FPS.

>it is innecessarily powerful for 1080
not for 120/144hz it isn't

The CPU temps are fine. No throttling there. Mobo BIOS is the newest version. The RAM is G.Skill 2x8GB 2400MHz DDR4.

MSI afterburner isn't giving me a voltage so the guy across the hall suspects it's the PSU not being powerful enough. He says the ratings on the PSU are for peak voltage or something like that and that a 550W PSU usually only has about 450W running capacity on it or something. I'm using a Corsair 550RMx though so I figured all would be well. I may upgrade to the 750 watt if the PSU is the culprit. Waiting on MSI support ticket to see if that's what they tell me.

MSI customer support just responded with a new ticket saying I should have at least 650 Watts of power for it apparently. Oh well. Ordering an 850 watt version and selling this one. No biggie. Guess it was the PSU after all.

>He says the ratings on the PSU are for peak voltage or something like that and that a 550W PSU usually only has about 450W running capacity on it or something.
That's bullshit.
PSUs are rated for their sustained power output, not peak.

Some other shit is going on. You don't have Gsync or some other shit going do you?

no fucking way that 550w corsair isnt enough for a gtx 1080/6600k. if anything the power supply might actually be defective.

Yeah I'm not really sure what's going on. I don't have G-Sync and I'm not sure how to measure if the PSU is defective, sadly.

If the PSU was defective you would get random shutdowns and shit. One thing you could do is get one of those wall power meters and see how much your system is drawing. We know what the peak power draw for a 1080 should be so if your system is drawing that + the peak for the CPU + about ~30W for the morbo, RAM and drives then you're peachy and something else is the issue.

I could get a wall unit but I already ordered another PSU anyhow. I'll just sell my current one and see if that resolves the issue. If it doesn't then I'll RMA the card. I realize it should be totally fine but I can't for the life of me figure out the problem.

Ok so one last thing. Downloaded GPU-Z and ran it in conjunction with Furmark and got the following results. This looks like underclocking due to lack of reliable voltage, right? Just wanna be sure.

Have you tried taking out the gpu and re-seating it? Are the 6 pins in all the way?

Yes I did reseat it earlier.

Shit user how did your post get past the NVIDIA shill bots. You've found out the truth... The 1080 is a joke , it's not more powerful. Come this way and let me get you a 480.

just die please

All modern cards underclock in Furmark. ALL of them. Run a benchmark.

I assume you have your display cable plugged directly into the graphics card and not the motherboard

But the memory clock listed in GPU-Z is 1251.5 MHz when the normal memory clock speed is 5000. I am thinking this is the issue. GPU-Z says the performance is being limited due to unreliable voltage. Which I assume to mean the PSU is slightly inadequate. Not so inadequate it causes random shutdowns but just enough to throttle performance.

Yes. It is also plugged in and turned on. Should I try turning it off and turning it on again?

it is enough you fucking idiots but they tell you to get more just in case because of wear over time or some bullshit. but it does look like he has a problem with power. either that or he fucked up installation at some point. temps could also be a problem even if he says its fine, some people are out there that think 110c is fine so unless op gives out a max temp i dont know

I bet that's the problem since OP is a faggot.

But it has only topped out at 70C, senpai.

That might be correct because it would be 1251 MHz reported by GPU-z & 10008 MHz effective.

techpowerup.com/gpudb/2839/geforce-gtx-1080

It might be a setting.

Did you have another card in your system before?

Also might be something in BIOS preventing full use of PCIE.

Hope u overclocked that cpu to 5.0 GHZ thats a big bottleneck otherwise

Also I noticed your clock is exceeding even the boost clock on the MSI Gaming X, which is a max of 1822-1847 (OC mode).

When you overclock your power consumption goes out the window, so it's possible that your power supply is not enough.

Try reducing the clock, the default on founders is actually 1607 MHz and boost 1733 MHz.

Oh shit, 15-45 fps. This is like intel integrated type of performance.

I have a feeling you might be running of your igpu some how. Check BIOS and disable.

more like force to use nvidia card in the nvidia control panel

Oh I see. And I did have a 970 on my last build but I completely swapped out all the hardware save the hard drives and then performed a clean driver installation. Deleted the remnants of the old drivers. And what in the bios might prevent that?

It boosted on its own up to those numbers but I'll try setting the clock fixed at that setting tomorrow and see if it helps.
I'll give this a shot too and see how it works out. Thanks for the suggestions guys. If you have any more let me know.

Are you using MSI afterburn by any chance while gaming?

There might be an issue with the software causing poor performance.

This actually happens in some games, it's annoying. At least it happened to me in Windows 7. Doesn't happen in Windows 10 for whatever reason.

Check the Memory clock.

Also, get rid of that awful i5

you just wasted your money.. should've bought a RX480