The best programming language to design a video game is _____________________________

The best programming language to design a video game is _____________________________.

Java :^)

C++ because that's what most tools for creating video games are used with.

>High end graphics intensive games
asm, C and C++, trust me

>Medium resource intensive games
C++

>Meme games on phones
Java

>Windows is the best operation system because that's what most people use

Fuck this nerd shit, give me source (please).

Pascal

That's true.

faggot

>Windows is the best operation system for ____ because that's what most tools for ____ are used with
where empty space is for image editing, 3d modeling, 2d animation etc

Most people are computer illiterate and thus end up pirating windows

>when it rains, water is wet

And then they use it to do all sorts of stuff that you can't do in Linux, like said.

JavaScript or Objective-C

Sup Forums is for those playing video games
Sup Forums is for idiots thinking that can design the next GTA on their own (...I'll do it; just wait and see)

what the fuck do I learn if i wanna make some cool sprite rpg/monster farmer?

Lua

C++. I've written a good part of a 3D game engine and you need the large scale project management features of C++ (over C) and the speed of a C language.

Just pick a subset of the language and stick with it before you drown in features. C++ is monstrously large.

>And then they use it to do all sorts of stuff that you can't do in Linux
What does software availability has to do with an operating system being designed well?

Reminder people use windows because it's easy to pirate softwares

Your statement has no logic

Haskell

>What does software availability has to do with an operating system being designed well?

You don't use it to admire it you goddamn idiot, you use it to get things done. You can have the most perfectly designed OS, but if it can't be used for nothing then it's shit. Luckily you don't have to worry about this, because Linux is poorly designed anyway:

>monolithic kernel, a design already obsolete in the 90s, when it was created
>as of 2016 kernel can't recover from audio/video drivers crashes, a problem that was solved by every other OS during the early 2000s
>VESA graphic modes disabled
>kernel mode setting has no safe mode wtf
>can't forcibly close network sockets
>kernel development is lazy, most issues just get labeled as "fixed" because WILL_NOT_BE_FIXED

And these are just some technical issues with the kernel that I can remember from the top of my head. If I had to make a whole list and also include inconveniences derived from low market penetration, a single post wouldn't suffice to show how shit the Linux kernel is. If you want to use a hipster OS go with FreeBSD, it has the same practicality disadvantages but with a kernel that's not a steaming pile of shit.

>You can have the most perfectly designed OS, but if it can't be used for nothing then it's shit
Wow you sure are delusional

>Make a good OS
>A number of vendors won't port software to the OS
>"lol OS is shit XDDDD"
Sup Forums is dead.

>monolithic kernel
>obsolete
hahaha retard, it's the micro-kernels that are obsolete
>kernel can't recover from driver crashes as of 2016
Issue kernel 4.3 issue, update your shit
>VESA modules disabled
So?
>Can't forcibly close network sockets
systemctl stop -f
>Cool blog

Have you even used BSD you tech inept wintard? The only reason to use BSD is /usr/ports and Gentoo and Arch Build System has that implementation. Ironically Stallman demanded that the source should be available in the OS.
>Jails
Available on Linux
>Mitigation
>Available on Linux
>Pf
Iptables

Don't even pretend to know what you are talking about, pasta poster

>monolithic kernel
Isn't Linux now considered a hybrid (b/c (loadable modules etc) kernel now?
I ain't sure about the others. Most probably though XNU and NT kernel have their own problems as well.

C++ and LISP

>A number of vendors won't port software to the OS

In real life you have to make money kid (Do you even work?). What makes an OS good is not technical perfection, but practicality. Even something like OS X with the highest amount of vulnerabilities and bugs is better than your shitty kernel in real life. Linux is literally free (as in beer) and nobody involved in anything that makes money wants to touch it with a 6ft pole; it must be a worldwide vast conspiracy to ostracize Linux development, it surely isn't because people into Linux realize that it's shit.

>Issue kernel 4.3 issue, update your shit

Yes, it was "fixed". Did you bother to investigate how it was fixed? I'll tell you, it's "fixed" because WILL_NOT_BE_FIXED.

>So?

This is like saying that:

>Oh Linux doesn't have games? I didn't want to game anyway
>Oh Linux doesn't have good drivers for very common hardware? I didn't need to know how much ink there's left on my printer anyway
>Oh Linux doesn't have a good Autocad alternative? Good thing I didn't want to become an architect, Linux is obviously not for architects guys, those are fags and should use Mac

>systemctl stop -f

Is it safe though? There's like a 75% chance that you will be forced to reboot to fix whatever mess you cause.

>conveniently ignoring the points that you can't even strawman against

Stupid Lincuck cultist.

>Have you even used BSD you tech inept wintard?

Yes. I have been using Windows, Linux, and BSDs for 20 years now.

>The only reason to use BSD is /usr/ports

No, you are stupid.

>Hey dude I heard you want to be able to do this thing in your OS, so why don't you use another OS with a totally different (obsolete) kernel that can also do that one thing? Disregard the fact that your kernel is much more stable and safe, k?

Troll harder fag.

>designing a video game with a programming language

You what now?

asm and C

>Issue fixed, tested across multiple platforms
>Did you bother to investigate how it was fixed?

>VESA is not enabled
>So what
>"lol u have vidya? XDDDD"

>ask for force stop
>Force stop
>systemctl socket forced stop, done
>>"Is it safe though? XD"

Be honest, do you actually have any idea what you are talking about? Do you actually have any technical knowledge to reply to the posts? Thought so

If you get BTFO it's a good idea to hide tails and get the fuck out clueless dumbshit wintard. Fuck off and lurk at least 3 more years before posting anything. Fuck off

>Vendors won't port softwares for an OS
>"OS is bad :-DDD"
>How is that the OS' fault
>"People have to make money :-DDD"

Also,

>I'm going to prove Linux is shit
>lol just copy and paste pasta XD
>Showed him
>Been using Windows, Linux and BSD for 20 years :DD

Absolutely 0/10, go back to Sup Forums

>he BTFOd my whole post, I better ad hominem now and add lots of XDDDD to make him look stupid while posting no source for my claims

You are incredibly retarded, as expected from someone defending Linux on the Internet. You should stop using Linux and admit that FreeBSD is superior for anything you use Linux for, and that Windows is superior for anything work related. BSD can force stop network sockets while keeping system stability by the way, that's one of the many advantages of not using a shit kernel.

You don't use a programming language to design a video game. You use it to program it.

>when his post is 0 technical stuff and 100% ad hominem

Why do you even try to argue if you already realized that you're wrong? Just go rice a fresh install of Arch and that should distract you from the pain.

>Forced stop
>Stable

Are you STILL posting, fucking newfag, do you love to embarrass yourself this bad

None of your post has any actual tech arguments
So far you have
-pasted a pasta
-when pasta is proven wrong, you say "but is it safe though" or "do you game?"
-continually pretend to know what you are talking about
-you have never made a strong, unique claim of your own

Get out

>ignoring everything you can't argue against only to make a strawman instead
>but also doing it wrong

BSD can force stop network sockets because all the networking (even the drivers) isn't in kernel space; that's one of the wonders of not using an obsolete kernel design. You can actually force stop lots of shit without crashing the system or damaging it in a way that requires to reboot. You must be really mad or really ignorant about BSD (and maybe computers in general) to ignore this fact.

>-pasted a pasta

Actually I'm the person who wrote it, and the like five times you've seen it here it was me.

>-when pasta is proven wrong, you say "but is it safe though" or "do you game?"

So I have to have no standards to use Linux? I have to tell myself that everything I can't do I didn't even want to do it in the first place and that there aren't better ways to do stuff? People like you thinking that a shitty "fix" is acceptable are the reason why the Linux kernel development is shit.

>-continually pretend to know what you are talking about

You shouldn't think that others are people like you who don't know shit. Stop projecting.

>-you have never made a strong, unique claim of your own

Forgive me for not being the first person in history to realize that Linux is shit so I could be the first one to write it and claim exclusivity to use such arguments as true, in a way that would make them untrue whenever other people use them. I know that if I say something original you just ask for source and dismiss it. That's why everything in science is 100% original right? Because everything said and proven before is false? You should feel bad for being a retarded Lincuck defending logical fallacies. You Linux cultists are the worst.

C++, anyone with basic coding knowledge knows this.

Javascript. Hands down. Best language to write a video game in. Don't believe me?

Notch is writing his newest game in Javascript. You can't beat that.

>making a game by yourself that is as good as AAA title
i realize you are joking but some people believe this. even if you are that fucking good of a programmer no way in hell can you also make models and audio that is as good as a full dev team

it's really based on preference- people have made shit crazy games just about every language - c++, JavaScript, even something as basic as LUA have their ups and downs

>nobody involved in anything that makes money wants to touch it with a 6ft pole
Oh, Steam for Linux + the 40 ish percent of games on it don't exist?!?!?

>being this butthurt over an OS
autism

>as of 2016 kernel can't recover from audio/video drivers crashes, a problem that was solved by every other OS during the early 2000s

Windows can't even properly reload my rtl8187 driver, whereas in Linux, I just execute

sudo modprobe -r rtl8187; sudo modprobe rtl8187; exit

you dont 'design' video games with a programming language retard

Damn, why are you so salty?

it's not unreasonable for a single talented programming to make an AAA quality game engine (overgrowth for example) but making the actual content for a game like that alone is impossible

OP, sauce please.

Gentoo

These.

Sauce us up please.

lisp

c#

another Lua fag reporting in.

I love Mike Pall. LuaJIT is so good

1. Filter out languages that don't meet your performance requirements or infrastructure/tooling requirements
2. Choose the language you're most comfortable with using

HTML

Haskell for core and C++ for GUI.

Is this even possible?

Yes? There's plenty of ways to write a program in parts with different langauges and link them together

Visual Basic 6.

Game Maker Studio

>Haskell
Enjoy having to write everything from scratch while the C++ devs can reuse high quality libs that stood the test of time.

Whatever your engine supports the best

lisp honestly strikes me as a good idea for internal scripting stuff

i think SCUMM was originally going to use it, and some naughty dog games use it

Genuine literal autismo.
Also this

whatever fits the task.
heck you could make a game in go for all you care and it should work fine.
just dont reinvent the wheel.
you use the best language X for the best results Y along with the best engine or library Z.
you dont make engines you make games.

Rust because of muh performance.

C / C++, reconsider your career choices if you're using anything else.

this

like the autists who think coding and programming are the same

C# because unity. Unless you want an actual career. Then do C++.
Anyone else tells you otherwise they are artists who don't know the industry.

I hope one of those black bars is hiding her balls

You don't design video games in a programming language, you implement them in one.

lua for fun, c++ for job

Why does Linux run on the majority of HPC systems worldwide?

>asm, C
>game development

Welcome to hell.

>Hell
You mean Job. Yeah. This is the future you chose. You could be doing anything but you are programming games in asm

BBC BASIC with inline 6502 assembly

Sounds alright to me

sauce on that pic please

HTML and Javascript

Seconding

lua

Steam for Linux was literally only created so Valve could test releasing their own "console". Don't even think Valve cares about the linux community.

Thirding

>The best programming language to design a video game is

You use a programming language to write a program.

Designing a program is mostly done in english.

Game designers should use a high level language like lua or python for game design.

get #rekt

Fourthing

Fivething

RPG maker I guess

What's a monster farmer?

>meme games on phone
Java is old and busted, Unity is where it's at.

Unity isn't a language, mouthbreather.

Source is cad-comic.com

I've heard LOVE is pretty good for making basic games for Android and iOS. It uses Lua. - love2d.org

LibGDX is good if you want to make games to Android, iOS, and web. It uses any JVM language, but you have to use Java if you want to deploy to web. - libgdx.badlogicgames.com

R U S T
U
S
T

In my opinion yoyo game maker is a solid 2d game maker

Kek'd

>>kernel can't recover from driver crashes as of 2016
>Issue kernel 4.3 issue, update your shit

I'm trying to find some information about this and I cannot, just a couple of forum posts from several years ago with users trying to manually reload their nvidia drivers in a situation where they are running CUDA but no X server on the device.

okay. i'm really interested in what you have to say. why lua? im currently learning python as my first language and I am wondering If I should do lua next. Is it for love2d? I haven't seen any good games made with love2d.

Don't bother. Learn C after python. C is a must-know language.

The only modern use for C is telling people you know C.

>but making the actual content for a game like that alone is impossible
why ? you don't need to make the content, you need to make the procedures who'll make the content.