/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
New report suggests new iPhone may have 3GB of RAM
gsmarena.com/new_report_suggests_new_iphone_may_have_3gb_of_ram-news-19766.php

Gionee M6 Mini with 5.3-inch display and 4,000 mAh battery passes TENAA certification
gsmarena.com/gionee_m6_mini_with_53inch_display_and_4000_mah_battery_passes_tenaa_certification-news-19764.php

OnePlus 3 sales in Europe and Hong Kong will be halted from August 9 to September 12
gsmarena.com/oneplus_3_sales_in_europe_and_hong_kong_will_be_halted_from_august_9_to_september_12-news-19763.php

At long last, themes on the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 support third-party icon packs
sammobile.com/2016/08/04/themes-on-the-samsung-galaxy-note-7-support-third-party-icon-packs/

Galaxy Note 7: In-Depth Look! - Erica Griffin
youtube.com/watch?v=O8F9w8FGpS4

Review: BLU R1 HD -A $60 Amazon phone that’s way better than Amazon’s actual phone
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/review-blus-r1-hd-redefines-what-you-can-get-in-a-60-smartphone/

ASUS Zenfone 3 Review: Best Value For Money Phone You Can Buy
unbox.ph
/gadget/asus-zenfone-3-review-best-value-for-money-phone-you-can-buy/

old

Other urls found in this thread:

opensignal.com/reports/2016/08/usa/state-of-the-mobile-network/
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/review-blus-r1-hd-redefines-what-you-can-get-in-a-60-smartphone/
kimovil.com/en/compare/leeco-letv-le-2-pro,leeco-letv-le-max-pro-x910-4gb-32gb
androidpolice.com/2016/07/19/moto-g4-review/#Cameras
m.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4w1xf5/please_check_your_chargers_some_nexus_5x6p/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true
f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.floens.chan
gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_424342.html
everbuying.net/product1201442.html
aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-ZTE-Axon-7-A2017-Snapdragon-820-MSM8996-Quad-Core-2-15GHz-20-0MP-5-5/100099_32680826497.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

People using CM13 on their Redmi Note 3: how stable is the official release? Lots of people complained about sudden reboots and battery bugs like displaying -2%. Apparently today's nightly fixed this, can anyone confirm?

>Fedex is delivering my phone
>tfw I live in an apartment
>might be at work when it arrives
Why can't they just give it to the post office? At least the mailman can keep it safe.

New OpenSignal network report is out.

opensignal.com/reports/2016/08/usa/state-of-the-mobile-network/

Okay, I've been having a problem for a while. First smart phone, used to just use flip phones, finally decided to upgrade a little over a year ago. I was a retard and got a Galaxy S6 Edge.

For the past couple months, I've had an issue where I hit the max storage space and stuff stops working. Repeatedly. Like, four times this year. The last two times it has happened were the worst. A month ago, I deleted about ten gigs of pictures and some change, and about eight of Spotify offline downloads. That freed up about 20gb, give or take. The phone has 64 total.

So, this week, does it again. I just get disgruntled and ignore it. This morning, it's full. Plug it in, LITERALLY 0 bytes available, thing is basically bricked.

Not only have I not filled up 20 fucking gigs in the last month, or so I think, I know for DAMN sure that, during eight hours of sleep while I was sleeping and the phone was charging, I did not download anything, receive any messages, etc.

In the system memory page, the part with the most storage use is Apps, coming in at like 46 gigs. Now, I didn't count by hand, but I can't imagine all of the 100mb and lower shovelware that came on the phone combined with like the maybe 15 other apps I downloaded and frequently use combine to that amount of space.

What the hell is up with my phone's memory? What is eating it up so seemingly fast with seemingly zero input? Has anyone else run into this before?

Never buying a phone with an internal memory and internal battery ever again, and NEVER buying anything Samsung ever again. Fuck this shit.

Does anyone here have the Huawei P9 Plus? Thinking about sending my Oneplus3 back and get the P9 Plus.

The camera is very cool and the EMUI interface seems like the kind of interface I would prefer over shitty stock android. In most comparisons also the P9+ seems to be faster than the OP3 in day to day use (app loading especially).

Alcatel idol 3 or Galaxy J5?

I'm about to buy Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro.
I can't decide between 2/16gb and 3/32gb versions. Price diffrence is around 45$ for me (I'm buying from retrailer in Poland, for quick delivery). For price diffrence I could get accesories like film, case and piston headphones.

Is there a big diffrence in performance? I'm buying this phone to get replacement for lumia to play pokemon and do some decent photos.

Any news on the new Nexus?

Are they gonna be gud or does HTC screw it up as usual?

I can already see the battery and the cameras being subpar compared with other flagships.

I don't need the latest and greatest. What are the best budget smartphones (they can be older ones that are still good)

Serves you right for buying a phone without an SD slot that you can use as internal storage.

This is the 3rd time your'e asking that. clearly you want this huehuehuehue phone and your'e rich enough to buy so do it already.

>decent photos
The camera on the RN3P is trash, just a warning.
MiUi takes almost 900mb to itself alone, so 3/32 will be much better to future proof.

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
>March 2016
Update that shit.

>Plug it in, LITERALLY 0 bytes available, thing is basically bricked.
It won't turn on?

> best budget smartphones
>Review: BLU R1 HD -A $60 Amazon phone that’s way better than Amazon’s actual phone

If camera is trash, I'd consider getting other phone for around 1k zlotys in poland (or 259$ anywhere else if they ship).

Anything you could recommend?

No, it would stay on, and would say it cannot launch any apps, receive calls, anything other than look at storage. Plugged it in and deleted another batch of photos for like 3 gigs and then cleared Spotify again, only got like 7 total.

As a storage device recognized by Windows, however, it showed as 0 bytes available.

Read some Konmari you filthy unorganised fuck, if your phone is like that I cant imagen your room

Is this normal for an xperia Z3 in an area with extremely poor reception?

How much does poor signal really affect battery usage anyway?

How stable is the Android 7.0 dev preview 5?

I'm thinking of installing it on my main driver

>This is the 3rd time your'e asking that. clearly you want this huehuehuehue phone and your'e rich enough to buy so do it already.

Nobody ever replies with any meaningful comparison or opinions on the P9 though.

X620 or X820 both have very good cameras if your'e willing to go chink.

kimovil.com/en/compare/leeco-letv-le-2-pro,leeco-letv-le-max-pro-x910-4gb-32gb

X620 is Helio X25 and ~$240, X820 is SD820 and $275.

Anybody unlocked the bootloader on their snapdragon redmeme note 3?

I've been trying but keep getting the error in pic related.

I'm running the lastest global dev rom.
I've got unlock permissions for my account and I'm also logged into that account on the phone.
I turned on USB debugging and oem unlock from the dev settings.

But it still won't work. Any ideas?

Where can I buy phone batteries online that haven't been fucking used?

>How much does poor signal really affect battery usage anyway?
A lot actually since your phone keeps looking for signal and it drains the battery fast.

Well no one here has bought Huawei phones other than the 6p and that doesn't really count so you gonna have to take the plunge and tell us.

You can only unlock your bootloader if you are on a Developer ROM. If you are on China/Global Stable, you can update to China/Global Dev via the Updater app or the Mi PC Suite, otherwise you will have to flash via MiFlash/EDL.

After that, connect your phone to your PC and enter fastboot mode (hold Power and Vol-) and follow the instructions in the unlocker.

Aaand how about non-chink?
Anything worth of attention form Sony, Samsung or Motorola?

I see. I was actually wondering whether my battery was due a replacement or not. I got this phone used. It's 1 year old by now.

HTC will probably fuck up the first line, wait for a revision.

Got the 6P in the meantime since it was on sale.

Moto G4/G4 Plus is around the same price and cameras are pretty good.

see samples here:
androidpolice.com/2016/07/19/moto-g4-review/#Cameras

Looking at a new phone on Amazon in the 200-250 range coming from a nexus 5, the Nexus 5x looks like best option. I don't care about expandable storage and a finger print reader is really attractive to me..is there anything else I should be considering. I'll be using gsm straight talk on a micro sim card

thank you for help and advice kind user

Couldn't you just buy that Amazon phone and put a different rom on it?

I have a prime account and more or less a slightly more modern Moto g for 60 bucks is tempting

Will USA axon 7 work in Europe? They says it has all bands

2.5G (EDGE, GSM/GPRS) MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900
3.5G (HSPA+, UMTS/WCDMA) MHz: 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100
4G (LTE) Bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 41

Took this from b&h

XDA can do everything
If you don't want the Xiaomeme Redmi Note 3 Pro, the 5X is a good choice.

I do really want stock android and I don't know much about xiaomi

Yeah, it's an OK phone with a great camera, a good fingerprint reader and fast updates.

But Reddit has a message for Nexus owners: m.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4w1xf5/please_check_your_chargers_some_nexus_5x6p/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

One final thing are the 5x phones all plastic or are they all matte finish? That green looks pretty sexy

There are a lot of versions of Clover, and I heard the one on the store doesn'the handle all boards anymore. Is that true? If so, which one should I get?

should I get the xperia m5?

Oneplus X or Mi4c?

I'm already using the global dev rom though.

Not that guy but I have a N5x. They are plastic, not metal like the 6 and 6p. It's matte plastic not shiny. I heavily recommend getting a case though, because this phone definitely won't survive even the simplest drops. Any more questions i could probably answer.

f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.floens.chan

Thoughts on the new Nexus launcher?

Also is the official release of nougat supposed to coincide with the new Nexus phones offer could it possibly come sooner? I'm already on dp5 but I was curious.

Try logging in with mi id or phone number. It didn't work for me when I logged in with mi id. switch to china dev too.

How's the battery life and camera for you? I'm assuming you've had the phone for a bit, are there any caveats I should be aware of? Basically will I regret having bought this specifically for a few features or will it hold up in a year?

I've been using my phone number.

I'll try flashing the china dev instead then, is there much difference?

I'm looking for a step up from the BLU Studio C that takes a SD card, has a equal quality or better camera, is as fast or faster, and is in the 90-170$ price range. I'm in America and use Walmart family tmobile

I assume this is about the N5x... The camera is amazing in my opinion. Coming from the N6 it's a huge step up and probably the best thing about the phone. Battery life is kinda meh honestly, but the phone charges to full very, very quickly. In my opinion it's a good phone for the price. Definitely not top of the line specs but it has respectable performance.

Also dat stock Android

No, you only need it to unlock the bootloder anyway. afterwards flash whatever rom you want.

That's a huge selling point over the xiaomi for me as well, I'm replacing a nexus 5 so I'm assuming it'll improve in all aspects..I'm just worried it'll be slow as fuck in a year and I'll want a new phone. I'm trying to get out of the yearly phone cycle but my tech hands far outreach how deep my pockets are or are not I guess

Where can i buy the cheapest possible ZTE Axon 7 (global model)? Aussie also so must be shippable.

gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_424342.html

everbuying.net/product1201442.html

aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-ZTE-Axon-7-A2017-Snapdragon-820-MSM8996-Quad-Core-2-15GHz-20-0MP-5-5/100099_32680826497.html

Only in stock on Ali.

It should be a pretty solid upgrade from the N5. It doesn't have wireless charging, but I've already considered wireless charging a meme, especially considering quick charging exists. I don't see it's longevity begin to much of an issue either. It's not like android is going to just suddenly get performance heavy and with it being a Nexus it'll have updates for a while.

Is there a way to use the redmi note 3 on Verizon? They seem to use a whitelist but maybe there is a way around that.

Very solid points, I'll place my order on a couple minutes

Wireless is for people who are either that afraid of breaking their charging ports, or who are simply too lazy to plug in a cable every 12 hours

I'm the guy looking at the 5x, I'll agree that wireless charging is kind of a meme. You have to set your phone down so you may as well just plug it in. It is a pretty cool feature in theory and would be pretty convenient not to have to grab a cord late at night just plop your phone down and boom charging seems like a pretty neat idea to me

>every 12 hours
>N5X
Every 4 hours.

>every 12 hours

Kinda early for hibernation, bearbro.

I was assuming someone who doesn't burn through their precious

I was referring to the usual 16h/8h wake/sleep cycle, bearbro.

Your phone updates itself so you can only have 4 apps on your dock, what do you choose?

snapchat, facebook, instagram, yik yak

Is one of the four an Apps button? Or is that a fifth that you aren't mentioning.

>Phone
>Texts
>Apps
>Email
>Web

That's my stock paradigm.

saw an article on ap that it will be released on 4th october.

>$500USD
Didn't they use to be $400USD?

Jacking up the prices because it just launched ana barely available.

>That wp resolution

girlslaughing.png

wp?

Just bought LG G4 for 200 refurbished. What should I expect?

>200 refurbished

A lower price? Some user had one new at that price yesterday, I think.

How is the dev preview? Is it stable and have decent app support?

Also the launcher looks pretty neat but it's hard to not use nova

I bought from amazon. They had one new for 300. Maybe he was signing a contract.

Looks like you're right. $280 is still the lowest I can find.

Sup Forums says early serial number (I forget the date mentioned) LG G4 will bootloop. The issue has reportedly been acknowledged by LG. Otherwise, I haven't come across any downsides other than U.S. variants sucking with regard to LTE band overlap. The H815 looks to be the best variant.

It's stable. I've been using it for a daily driver for a while now. I'm not sure about app support because I don't really use a very wide selection of apps to begin with... Everything i use works perfectly.

I'm 100℅ on board with the app drawer and wallpaper settings change but I don't like the switch to just the G button or the non customizeable date widget.

Can you ditch both? Or is it straight-to-3rd-party-launcher as usual.

>non-removable batteries

I'm hoping it can be switched out.

just got a new blackberry passport as a hand-me-down
What can I do to make it not trash?

Dumb frogposter

Oy vey!

So, my phone broke down and I need a new one in the ~200$ range. From what I've read the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro should be my go to in this price range. Any other phones worth checking out?

more facts:
> I'm in Spain
> Would rather have durability and battery life than performance/processing power
> I can do with a chinkphone but I'd rather not buy a chinese product

Ahh I gotcha. I really want to use it but I'm worried that some of the deprecated apps that I use won't work anymore so I'm wary about it

I had a good experience with the Lumia 640. I got the 640 XL with dual sim, that has larger battery capacity. battery lasts 2 days.
Had it for over a year and brought it on trips with me, not even a scratch.
The XL's camera is pretty good to boot.
You just have to live with Windows 10 which can suck at times, but not as bad as they say.

Don't get a windows phone, it's shit and there's no apps whatsoever. RN3P is really good, just flash the global rom when you get it and your'e set. if you order from topone or HKG they'll do it for you.

What's the point of removable batteries? There are no standard sizes so you have to buy a new one from your phone constructor anyway.

>Get Lumia 928 in very excellent condition from a friend after Moto G dies
>No imperfections on body aside from a very small scratch on the left side that's usually covered by hand anyway
>Can't load Weather Channel app without crashing, even after reinstall
>Have to use MSN Weather which is good for temperature but always seems to say 30% of precip regardless of current condition
>Android version of app doesn't seem have this problem

Yes, I am pissed when Microsoft blunders even the simplest modern convenience of being able to check the weather

I'm really close to buying an HTC 10.
Am I making the right decision Sup Forums?

>S7 looks ugly imo and has touch wiz
>OP3 doesn't have a microsd and a somewhat shitty screen
>Not interested in any chinkshit
Also the 10 is $100 off right now.

S7 is actually more expensive since you got the discount on the 10.

Aside from the S7 having a better camera and being waterproof you made a better choice

I want to get a 5.5 inch phone with a good quality screen and nice camera.

I am thinking about iPhone 6 or 7 (when it releases) since I was an iOS user and I liked it more than android lol xD currently have Xperia Z3.

Please suggest some good phones at the price range of $500-$650.

>ready to press 'place order' for a Moto G 3rd Generation LTE

Will this last a long time?
Does Moto have clean android system withput any useless Motorola shill apps?
Will this be able to get Android 6 later on?
I know that you praise Moto Gs here and i am excited. However i can't afford the 2GB RAM but it will still be a great improvement from my Galaxy s2.

Yeah, it seems to be the best choice at the moment.

Thanks for the reply.

>I can't afford the 2GB of ram
I would save for that one honestly. 1GB of ram is going to be depreciated very soon. Although Moto G3 is pretty lightweight and not bloated, phones that have 2GB or 3GB and heavy roms run very bad. I'd say buy spending the extra ~$30 and make it last longer.
If you really want a phone that will last, RAM is becoming more of an issue than the CPU.

iphone 6, you can do the monthly payment plan and get a """free""" upgrade to the 7 when it releases

Sup Forums likes to meme on the iphone 6 but it's truly one of the better phones on the market atm

I could risk it then and go for a Wileyfox Swift with 2GB RAM and cyanogen that I like.

>USB Type-C
Why didn't anyone warn me?