Is there a reason to run a 64-bit OS if you only have 4 GB of RAM?

Is there a reason to run a 64-bit OS if you only have 4 GB of RAM?

meems

I use a 64 bit os on just 2 gb memory.

yes

Is there any reason to only have 4GB of RAM?

Why? 64-bit processes tend to take more memory that 32-bit ones as 64-bit addresses/pointers are obviously longer.

To use your AMD64 CPU more efficiently
To run 64-bit only programs

32-bit is filthy old garbage and has no place in modern computing, move over grandpa. I bet you like Windows 7, too

>To run 64-bit only programs
Like what?

>64-bit only programs

you fell hard for the meme

AMD Crimson drivers is the only widely used thing I can name on top of my head. Google "64-bit only program list". I'm sure there's hundreds of them.

But if you only have 4GiB system memory, then I doubt you need the performance that new GPU drivers offer.

no u

Not him but Photoshop and Premiere both need more than 4GBs these days

Photoshop runs perfectly on a 32 bit computer. Don't know about Premiere but being a video editor probably it's unusable on anything less than 8 GB.

I've seen Photoshop eat up 6GB of RAM like it's nothing

>To run 64-bit only programs
There's not many that are ONLY for 64-bit

The OPTION for 64-bit builds is somewhat common.

OP here, seems like 64-bit was a meme after all.

To run crypto cat

>Using only 50% of the capabilities of your CPU
imagine what you could do with 100%

64 bit w/ 4GB is a meme. You lose compatibility with the old Win16 programs (which work fine under 32 bit Windows) and there's really no advantage.

You never had to edit a very high resolution photo with multiple layers.

32-bit only allows for about 3.5GB usable RAM, since part of the memory has to be mapped for all the hardware, so with 64-bit you at least get that 512mb back.

64bit is meme
i installed 32bit ubuntu and it showed and used 8gb ram

It depends. Do you have 4GB RAM or less in total, including your graphics card and potential RAID controllers ?

PAE dumb fuck

Not true. This is only a Windows thing, and only because ms are joos.

No, but do it anyway, unless you're not planning on upgrading your RAM

well what do you do beside jerking off to anime girls

Download more RAM.

>(((Microsoft)))
Nah it's because device driver devs are donkeybrains

>interstate shield
why? just why? fucking meme corporation

This is why you can run a 64-bit linux system. All the software is/has to be 64-bit.

It won't handle 32-bit without some gay extra libs and bloat

why are morbidly obese freetards so worried about a couple hundred megs of libraries

it ain't bloat if u fuckin use it brah

because it's fun to say your installation only takes up 2gb
a nice usable installation would probably bloat up to 5gb these days, depending on what you want to install

To do anything involving 64 bit math. Obviously.
Even so, many programmes run much more efficiently on 64 bit machines because of the insane amount of trickery required for a 32 bit machine to process a 64 bit number. With 64 bit machines common, you can bet that software vendors no longer avoid it as often as they used to.

If you have 4GB of RAM and want to use a video card with more than 0B of memory, you need a 64-bit OS.

64bit is not just for pointers.
Double precision floating point is very popular among young people.
A lot of things also require larger numbers and having a 64 bit processor makes that faster.

>Expecting Sup Forums to know about technology
64 bit = able to use more RAMpower, simple as that. These idiots will never understand anything more.

but that is wrong.
Don't people get taught assembly in school anymore?

>Sup Forums believes something with no basis in fact
That's very surprising, isn't it? Seriously, if you want to convince people here about anything then you just need to use the same shitty logic that clickbait pop science sites use.
>A is better at B but X is better at Y
>Correlation is the same as causation
>Appeal to "common sense"
That last one is particularly dangerous because a lot of anons believe a lot of stupid shit because of it.

hello ratto

> Double precision floating point
You mean the thing even Pentiums are already able to do thanks to the x87 FPU?

You seem the one unfamiliar with the x86 architecture, not the rest of us.

I thought we were talking about iphones or something.

>You mean the thing even Pentiums are already able to do thanks to the x87 FPU?
They've been able to do it but the question is were they able to do it well? Being able to do 64 bit math natively is much better than doing it with trickery.

>They've been able to do it but the question is were they able to do it well?
Yes.
> Being able to do 64 bit math natively is much better than doing it with trickery.
It is done natively. It's a math coprocessor, not "trickery".

Ain't no trickery x87 chips do IEEE double precision natively. Doing it well has got nothing to do with bus width or pointer sizes and everything to do with the x87 fpu being a pile of shit.

Going into 64-bit mode exposes more registers, which can result in better performance. Larger address space is necessary for programs that do a lot of memory mapping even if you don't have that much physical RAM. Lots of programs are going 64-bit only at this point so you're likely to get wider compatibility going into the future.

Forgot to mention this, but ASLR works much better on 64-bit (it can be nearly useless in 32-bit,) so 64-bit executables are inherently more secure.

That's still way better than the 25GB you need for Windows 7.