Is Macbook worth owning for programming?

Is Macbook worth owning for programming?
Linux mint updates have fucked me twice.

Is there even an operating system worth using?

Other urls found in this thread:

programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/51670/why-do-programmers-use-or-recommend-mac-os-x
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Mint = all distros
Mactards, everyone.

should have used arch or fedora

he's still a subhuman shitnux user, once he picks up a MacBook, he will get a jaw, a bitch, and some money. until then he's a shitnux-using pajeet

>MacBook
>a bitch
That's no way to address your boyfriend.

Why does it matter what the latest iCandy you buy to program with?
And if you are going to cuck your self with a Mac why not use real certified UNIX?

you could go with a stable version of Fedora, but I use Fedora 24 with the testing repos and its fine

I would use BSD or another distro. Mint is not my first distro, I've been through a lot of distros (Redhat, Fedora, Suse, Arch). All failed me in some respect (except Arch, Arch doesn't try hard enough to be able to fail its users. Rather, the user fails Arch).

But I do not have the will or time to tinker with my OS, customizing my window manager and wanking over trivial crap.

What I need is stability, for my work to be secure and automatically backed up, and a minimum of management overhead.

I do not care about x-windows and especially give zero fucks about compiz, gnome, kde or tiling window managers. I do everything from bash and emacs anyways.

Don't you have a loo to not poo in, Prakeet?

that's a shit comeback baka desu senpai

The main reasons under my consideration are:

1) All laptops (non-Apple) I've owned have broken within 2-3 years. I've heard _claims_ about macs lasting seven years or more. So it might save money or work out to cost the same.

2) Macs have decent hardware, and the OS is programmed specifically for the hardware it sits on so no need to worry about fucking around with drivers, trying to get some winedoze-targeted wireless adapater to work using ndiswrapper or WINE to use a bloody printer.

3) Availability of UNIX tools for development.
I've sadly also read that most of what makes dev work easy on Linux is broken on Mac because of their "walled-garden" (golden prison) philosophy and restrictive approach.

>Linux mint updates have fucked me twice.
how so?

>I've heard _claims_ about macs lasting seven years or more.
I have a mid 2009 17" MacBook Pro that still works as well as it did when I bought it.
>I've sadly also read that most of what makes dev work easy on Linux is broken on Mac because of their "walled-garden" (golden prison) philosophy and restrictive approach.
Really don't know what this is supposed to mean.

debian fucking stable

>Is Macbook worth owning for programming?
yes, it's great

Using a 2013 rMBP 13" with ubuntu. Wireless drivers and everything just werks. the only problem ive ever had is the dogshit DE that comes with ubuntu, Just install gnome.

macOS is excellent for development because it has all the tools linux has, but none of the bullshit Windows has.

the only thing it's not optimal for, but will be in the next year i reckon is embedded development for very specific platforms, namely the TIMSP430G2

I agree I use Debian stable and it rocks as a development machine, I've never had any issues with Debian out of the box or with updates

>muh macs are restrictive meme

macs are only restrictive if you don't know your way around a BSD/UNIX system

a noob window user also finds windows restrictive before they learn that the control panel and registry exist

> Really don't know what this is supposed to mean

programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/51670/why-do-programmers-use-or-recommend-mac-os-x

See the first answer.

Once it was updating, then got stuck and didn't do shit for 48 hours (mouse would not even move). I restarted and then ofcourse the fucker wouldn't boot, and it was beyond my magic to heal that poor drive.

The second time I needed to compile something, and to access the proper libraries from repos required an distro upgrade, which fucked all my network and graphics (and even sound) drivers.

Printers are exactly the same in Linux as macOS (cups) and I know Intel at least has open source drivers
for their wireless cards. But yes, when I ran my Hackintosh there would be a few issues in dealing with the
walled garden. However in almost all use cases macOS will work OOB and with Homebrew and other similar
programs it is workable. But like I said before I use Fedora 24 but my experience with macOS (10.6-10.10) was fine for development.

First answer is a bunch of whining about shit that isn't a problem or isn't a problem anymore. He whines that X11 software doesn't look like the rest of OS X...

That guy just doesn't know what he's talking about.

>Once it was updating, then got stuck and didn't do shit for 48 hours (mouse would not even move). I restarted and then ofcourse the fucker wouldn't boot, and it was beyond my magic to heal that poor drive.
>The second time I needed to compile something, and to access the proper libraries from repos required an distro upgrade, which fucked all my network and graphics (and even sound) drivers.
Aw fuck.
And I was happy that everything worked without problems right from the installation.
What do you use right now?

Macs are vastly overpriced, but one thing is true.
They just werk.

So he is full of shit in fact? Thanks for the heads up.

I don't know shit about Macs because my attitude was that paying the money they ask for the hardware they sell is criminal.

But computing is pain itself. No matter in which direction you bow, you will get fucked in the ass.

Basically, yes, he's full of shit. If you're not afraid of CLI, you won't have an issue getting things done on OS X.

Loonix mint. Yes I can already predict the replies: if you shoot your foot three times don't complain that you're stuck with a limp. But on the other hand, it's a temporary measure and I simply installed the same distro that had my wireless drivers "just werk" when I first installed it.

Another thing that really annoyed me was the complete impossibility, despite superficial support for it in the package manager, of installing wireless drivers from the disc I installed mint itself from.

Command line is love. Command line is life.

Have you tried just plain old Ubuntu?

Anything that isn't Windows is good for programming.

Honestly, get whatever...even Windows can run xshell and ssh to vagrant VMs

Yes. I hate unity and I distrust Canonical for distributing spyware.

I did use Ubuntu back when it was gnome + BROWN everywhere. It was to me at the time just the hottest Debian clone.

Anything that isn't a cat is a dog.

And a cripple could probably run a marathon with proper training and diet. That doesn't mean he should.