Anyone else feel like AMD dropped support for cards like the HD6970 too soon?

Anyone else feel like AMD dropped support for cards like the HD6970 too soon?

That shit was still competitive with a 270x or 660 ti while it was still getting drivers.

Other urls found in this thread:

overclock.net/t/1607273/nvidia-maxwell-moved-to-legacy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was to force users to upgrade, why do you think AMDfags accuse nvidia of gimping kepler?
It's because they want us to overlook this. Notice how the gimping meme started around the same time hd6000 series stopped getting drivers?

>HD7000 series high end card beats an older enthusiast 6900 series card
What exactly is the gimping going on here?

Isn't it always this way?
Gtx 770=960
Hd7950=280
Hd5870 = 6870

The R9 280 is the HD7970

I'm a dumbfuck, you're right, the r9 280 is a 7950, the 280X is the 7970.

Yeah, but I'm not talking about the rebadging, I'm talking about the performance.

Next gens mid tier performance card will usually compete with last gens card one level down, or 2.

>970 vs 780 ti
>1070 vs 980 ti
>480 vs 390x

No idea why AMD overclocked the cards they rebadged, if it was me I'd have had tighter voltage limits to make them look more efficient, maybe increase vram frequency?

Idk, Just feels like a rush job when you look at the rebrands

AMD with their typical gimping.

Never buy an AMD card if you want it to last.

It suddenly smells of poo in here.

>mfw H6870
>still runs gta v on medium settings smoothly despite vram botleneck
>could still be running modern titles on medium/high depending how much vram they need

Fuck you AMD, HD6970 users could still be running games on high,/ultra settings.

This. HD6970 could still be competing, or at least performing much better than it is now

overclock.net/t/1607273/nvidia-maxwell-moved-to-legacy

Well, I guess they're still getting drivers, at least. :^)

>muh opsimization

Terascale/VLIW is EoL and a (completely) different archtitecture than GCN - which is probably why they ditched it.

Nvidia's transitions have been a little bit more smooth, albeit they likely also have more money for their software department. You get what you pay for, I guess. :^)

There is only so much that drivers can do

>Tfw 8800GT
>nvidia released drivers that means it can compete with the 1060

It's really sad how AMD keeps gimping their drivers. AMD cards just keep getting slower over time.

I don't understand, what's wrong with Maxwell being moved to legacy status? It's not in production anymore.

Nvidia cards back till Fermi are still getting driver updates and optimisations.

I don't see why a 6870 can't compete with a 750 ti though.

It used to, until it stopped getting drivers

I'm not really sure. Perhaps they thought that they have already implemented mearly every possible driver level optimization and didn't bother delivering placebo drivers. I doubt that they have done this as an effort to force people upgrade. People usually think that AMD has worse drivers although it's known that AMD cards age better due todriver optimizations. Gimping their old cards would just ruin their drivers' reputation even further.

just get the latest breh, it's cheap too

>Fermi are still getting driver updates and optimisations.

Those are placebo drivers. I unfortunately have been using a 630m(thermi) for some time and I can tell you that those drivers "" optimisations"" haven't changed amything.

It was because the HD 6XXX series (i.e. Northern Islands) lacked GCN. Trust me. You DO NOT want to try playing Fallout 4 on an HD 6950 even at LOW settings 1080p. The FPS drops so much it reminds you how awful the card is today. It was a good card then but now it's a fossil.

Serious question, why you guys care so much if AMD died?
Just look at Intel right now, no one complain and intel still make the best CPU in the world.

Just stop with this shilling and we won't get anymore HURR PAJEET thread in every PC hardware threads.
Only retards and autistic children post in those threads.

You realize that intel's new architectures are nearly indifferent in terms of performance, right? Only a retarded baitfag or 12 year old would say that a monopoly is a good thing. Intel can release $1700 10 core chips and rip off people as much as they want due to AMD not being competitive.

And they still make the best CPU in the world.
Being a saltyfag in an anonymous website wont changed anything, so thanks for proving my points.

You shouldn't even be using a 630m for anything demanding, my 520m was an overheating piece of shit.

You use it for csgo? Those optimisations have been applied long ago.

You use it for normie pc uses like web browsing? Why even update

The point wan't about CPU quality. The point was -
>Serious question, why you guys care so much if AMD died?

I care, because without AMD, the Intel will be a monopoly.

>because without AMD, the Intel will be a monopoly.

You are uneducated as fuck, AMD and Intel is not the only company who producing x86 CPU.
This literally showing you just commenting for monopoly meme.

Are you actually expecting him to go "oh shit, no, I was wrong, sorry"? This is Sup Forums and he's a shitposter, he'll just continue to repeat whatever piece of shit argument he has until you give up.

amd drivers are shit mainly due to their retarded driver overhead, requiring an intel build to not bottleneck. ironically this makes a full amd system a bottleneck fest.

>implying Intel and AMD are the only x86 manufacturers
>implying Intel doesn't need AMD to survive

If AMD dies, we'll start seeing netbooks with ARM SOCs growing prevalent, then slowly larger laptops, then Intel will start losing server and desktop market to ARM.

>You realize that intel's new architectures are nearly indifferent in terms of performance

You haven't disproven any of my arguments. AMD being co petitive means Intel having to produce architectures that are more than 5% faster than the older ones. Having brain damage must be bad.

If Intel could provide more than 5% per generation, they would.

Either they're holding back so AMD can survive, or x86 is starting to reach its limits. Let's face it, 5% is still a massive improvement when you compare it to how slow processors used to be.

>You haven't disproven any of my arguments.

Disproven what? Are you autistic?
Their CPU having small significant performance increased compare their previous gen meant nothing when they still make the best CPU in the world compare to their competitors.

Why everything must be a "win or lose" argument with you?

HL2, other old source games amd civ 5 so I can actually get 60 fps at 1080p. Still, it supposedly gets the same optimizations as other fermi cards as it's the same architecture and I am yet to see any increases in performance since I bought my laptop back in 2012.

As if VIA is competition to Intel. Technically it isn't a monopoly but practically it is.

>expecting optimisation's
>for old games
>HL2 driver improvements in 2016

And that's how I know you're a troll.

Optimisation's are game specific. That's why the older AMD cards starting falling so far behind their nvidia counterparts after they stopped getting drivers

>Other company make shit CPU so its a monopoly, lets blame intel for making a better CPU

Dear lord, you became more retarded in each new post.

What's to stop Intel from just giving an x86 licence to Nvidia or Samsung?

AMD is such a shitty company

>this thread again
This is a fairly slow board so I have to imagine at least a few of the currently 15 posters have seen it before.

>AMD
>Three completely different GPU architectures and instruction sets within three generations and three years
>Low money, low sales
>Small overburdened driver team
It made the most sense to relegate 6xxx series and below to legacy status. The 6xxx series was going on 5 years old at the time, and AMD hadn't the luxery of Nvidia where there arch has been practically the same ISA wise since 2008.
You have to realize that even within the "minor" revisions of GCN they made changes, and sometimes extensive ones, to the GCN instruction set which all have to be hand tailored for in the drivers as well as completely different code for their VLIW4 and VLIW5 arches. AMD has not had the track record and money to gather interest from a lot of real programming talent in this area. The last 5 years must have been a nightmare for their driver team.

So, before I leave for work, shall anyone pointlessly argue about what should be a long dead topic?

>intel owns most of the consumer and server market
>one of the two competitiors don't even sell products for the same market whereas the other one isn't even competing anymore
>intel keeps increasing the performance by 5% and the price

Wew lad, I am blaming AMD for not being competitive and giving Intel a reason to actually release architectures with performance increases that aren't minuscule. You seriously have to be retarded to think that the lack of competition is a good thing.

I am genuinely upset over my HD5970 not even getting new crossfire profiles.

>b-but muh best CPU

In a healthy market with competition, you would see sensible increases in performance.Just compare Nehalem with sandy bridge or netburst with the core architecture. Intel actually released architectures that are majorly superior to their predecessors in terms of performance due to actually having competition.

I'm not blaming Intel for producing a good product, they simply have no reason to spend more on R&D to make significantly better architectures when they can just create a new architecture with 5% better performance, add support for newer I/O ports and market it as the second coming of jesus. This is happening due to AMD not being competitive but AMD releasing a good product is a much painless way out of this situation than AMD dying.

No matter what market, you'll see improvements because IF THE NEW PRODUCT ISN'T BETTER WHY SHOULD ANYONE UPGRADE

Holy shit you're autistic.

>moving goalposts
>damage controlling

Shit ton of people are still on their 2500ks not upgrading because there is not a reason to.

>with 5% better performance, add support for newer I/O ports and market it as the second coming of jesus
>I/O
>marketing

Do you really think that people buy newer platforms solely due to performance? Most people who upgraded from a 4790k to a 6700k did that due to either marketing or newer ports. But you can keep staying in mommy's basement and continue thinking that only performance affects people when deciding whether to upgrade or not, autist.

>Shit ton of people are still on their 2500ks not upgrading because there is not a reason to.
Tonnes of people are stlll on nehelams, core2 and phenoms, the jump those cpus gave over the previous ones was monumental, since then there's been no need for it in most fields. Last thing I got was a coreMy5 cpu, that thing runs silently and works wonderfully for so many work loads. Big stuff I render, obviously just want more and more cores, minor ipc improvements in each generation are hardly noticable.

How do we fix AMD? This is sad, they were my first CPU purchase ever when I was like 11

This