Best distro for a beginner?

Other urls found in this thread:

techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Full/Installation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

WindowMaker Live

install gentoo

Slackware

FreeBSD

arch

debian, no reason to start with anything less.

Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary Update with Linux Subsystem

This. You have the whole wiki and forums at your disposal.

OOO Boooon Toooo

Or Mint.

Great memes

Mint is trash, just use Ubuntu.

OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks
PC-BSD

Ubuntu is trash, just use Debian

Debian is trash, just use Mint.

Linux from scratch, you will actually learn something (gentoo only teaches you kernel compilation, which you also do in LFS).

Arch doesn't teach you anything.

Mint is trash, just use Ubuntu

Ubuntu is trash, just use Debian.

xubuntu if you are absolutely retarded like i am.

Debian is trash, just use Mint.

Mint is trash, just use Ubuntu.

Install bash into Wondows 10

Linux Lite

- Linux Mint
- Ubuntu or any flavour of it
- maybe Debian
- maybe opensuse

Elementary OS

What's the best Linux version for a retard like me to actually learn more about how to computer?

I can use the Windows registry with some comfort but I've never done so without looking up online first.

Literally Gentoo

Slackware

why is it that codemonkeys spazz out and yell homo whenever they see a GUI that doesn't make your eyes bleed

i mean the blatant OSX copycatting is faggy for sure but it's nice and clean, that's something

i wish ubuntu wouldve kept on becoming more polished rather than putting out fucking UNITY

Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon

If your eyes aren't bleeding you're doing it wrong lad

>linux version
4.7.0+

Linux Mint

Has science gone too far?

Ubuntu if you're a faggot
Debian if you can think but don't want to
Arch if you think you are smart but actually aren't
Gentoo if you enjoy configuring your computer
LFS if you have aspergers

Get yourself a virtual machine and install Debian/Devuan netinstall and uncheck the DE's, google whatever you need to install afterwards.

>recommending Mint ever
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
It's not even more suitable to beginners than Ubuntu, there is literally zero reasons to use it.

I like it

While we're on the subject.

> 7 year old laptop
> Installed Ubuntu
> Was alright
> Installed Windows 10 LTSB
> Ran faster, better browsing experience
> CPU didn't run as hot
> Sticking to Windows 10

Is there a better distro out there better than Ubuntu which would run better on my shit laptop?

>Devuan
Is this shit even usable? If you want a distribution without systemd that badly just unironically install Gentoo. It would be easier.

It looks nice and has flash from the get go. I used to recommend it until I realized the packages were severely out of date, and then the hack happened.

Crux

Lubuntu, Debian, Arch, Puppy, Korora (Fedora).

Any of those. Korora is currently on an old Vista laptop and it runs like a champ.

Gentoo. When you finish following the installation handbook you will become a man.

I prefer updated packages, thanks.

Debian has a repository of those, afair

I got new to you, I am running Devuan and it works. You can stop memeing.

>apt-get update
>apt-get install deluge

>VERSION 1.3.10

yeah I like old versions, it's the best!!!

Are you even on Sid?

sid has terribly old versions of everything, examples?

tmux, gtk+

>it works
I would guess this much. Now if you tell me it is stable, then I would be surprised. How many guys are maintaining it, like three?

They keep away from the trolls, since systemd has an aggressive campaign I don't blame them.

I'm a retard, so I don't know how that is, but I guess it's not just a "click next until thing works" kind of install like Ubuntu and Windows, right?

Like I said, I prefer being up to date rather than having a bunch of nerds going through quadrillion packages so by the release the software is so deprecated it doesn't work and lacks tons of features.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Full/Installation
Have fun

I hate systemd preachers as much as the next guy. It's just that Devuan looks like a typical unstable fork like, say, Sabayon. If it is stable, I would actually be pleasantly surprised, but I don't believe in miracles this much. Seems more likely that it is propagated by salty Debian fans who got cucked by systemd and can't let go or put up with.

So you prefer unrevised packages without ironed-out bugs?

One of the guys explained how they could still be in Debian if packages were properly maintained outside systemd, but this is not respected.

So there you have, in some ways is more stable than Debian.

So Debian went to shit in general, not just by systemd? Sounds sad.

Well, if they refuse to maintain packages to push systemd that's just bigotry.

The important part for a new user is picking the right desktop.
I suggest KDE as it has the most features and a graphical interface for the settings.
This is good for new users as you don't have to look for feature X.
Right now, ubuntu is a really bad distro for KDE, so maybe you want to pick a distro that
is better at getting updates.

I suggest fedora.

Arch, because the documentation is so good.

Trying to use linux without being comfortable editing config files is like trying to use macOS without a mouse. It's better to learn it right from the start.

Slackware and 'Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook'.
Not required, but recommended: basement with no outside connection (that means no WAN as well) and lots of time.