Are smartwatches a meme? like seriously have anyone ever used one and felt it was worth the cash?

Are smartwatches a meme? like seriously have anyone ever used one and felt it was worth the cash?

Other urls found in this thread:

amzn.com/B00XC2FA8K
dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/tomtom-spark-review.html.
wareable.com/xiaomi/xiaomi-mi-band-pulse-1s-review
dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/winter-sports-gadget-recommendations.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>2016
>still using cash

They seem stupid but then I wear a triathlon clock daily that have smart phone notifications. I'd consider buying a Polar m600 because it's android wear, aimed for exercising and looks pretty good for everyday wear for an active life. Too bad the battery life is only 2 days.

>2016
>not owing your own wealth and possessions
>falling for the credit meme

Wore an LG G Watch (second from the left in OPs pic) for a while. Still got it, haven't worn it in months and I don't miss it.

Deffo a meme.

it's convenient if you have a lot of notifications and you want to read them quickly just glancing at your wrist.
just get a dumb smartwatch like Pebble that you don't have to echrge each day and you're good to go

I'm a T1 Diabetic that uses it with his CGM so I can see my current Blood Glucose as well as which direction I'm going. It's incredibly helpful to just look at my wrist and make a dosing decision without having to pull out a meter.

Not my pic but I use the same watchface.

Never seen anyone use one.

This is awesome.
But for the most part, the use cases are underutilized for medical cases. My sister has one, and it's only because of the status and that it matches her bag.
But with the amount of people in the US at least with a health ailment who could really benefit

I've had a Pebble and a Moto 360.
The Moto 360 wasn't waterproof and had to be charged every 7 hours. It wasn't worth the money so I returned it.

The Pebble I got for like $15 on eBay. Stays charged for a week or so at a time.
Good for quick notifications.
Waterproof.

I wouldn't spend any more on one than I would on a regular watch, and I wouldn't buy anything fancy I'd buy a Pebble for that battery life and waterproofing.

i feel like these special use kind of things are what smartwatches are potentially good for.

that being said, if you don't know why you'd need a smartwatch you dont need a fucking smartwatch. for the average person it's just a gimmick. i cant believe apple put a watch on the market it's such a retarded idea for a consumer product.

the iphone was great, ipad was pretty damn sweet, but i dont remember anyone losing their shit over an iwatch excuse me APPLE watch. tim cook is a retardfaggot. i knew that boat was sinking when i saw the fucking flat icons for the first time

I had a pebble and it's the most useful thing ever. The buzz is strong enough that you always feel a notification come through, and another benefit is that if you feel a buzz in your pocket but not on your wrist you know it's not a priority notification. It's in a field somewhere now, but I liked it.

I bought one simply because of the LCD display

(i bought a really cheap one, like $40)

It has texting, calling, calculator, calendar, etc, but i only use the bright LCD clock and the calculator and calendar in class (where phones are a no no)

I haven't used a mid tier one nor a high end one, so i can't say much about them. Honestly though, if you are in a place that lets you access your phone, like at work, it'd probably be best to just use your phone.

You got a link to that watch?

It's an alarm

It tracks sleep which can be very helpful

It shows time instantly

Unfortunately these tasks a pebble is only very good at but yeah I guess its all meme

Got the first gen Moto 360 at launch and still use it. When I first got it I wore it 24/7 as in I only took it off to charge it on my desk in the morning and evening for about 30 minutes. That was enough to keep ot going and I slept with it on using a sleep tracker to tell me how bad I sleep (I have RSS).
Nowadays I only wear it when I'm at uni to remind of when shit is (best feature for forgetful me), and to still be connected when in classes where the teacher is anal about phones or laptops. Once put all my notes for a test on it and was viewing them (computer science major=bad at non-writing English class)
Overall great watch. Only downside is that it got burn in from the charging screen because I forgot it on my desk at uni for a week I was off and at my parents. That's mostly gone now tho.

Convenient way to quickly read notifications without having to get your phone out of your pocket, but super overpriced. Def not worth it.

t. moto 360 owner

Got a gear fit 2 for free
>give it back jamal
Used it 3 times, then never again because it's so fucking useless
Smart bands are memes.

Isnt exactly "well made"

I mean, looks nice, has one decent looking clock face, and that's about it. the calling and texting features are pretty garbage. I mean, you can read them but other than that, useless. Only allows pre-set replies.

Let me look on amazon.

Yeah, amzn.com/B00XC2FA8K is the closest thing to it. It's sold under different names

If you're just looking for a nice looking watch like i was, then this is probably a good choice. You want features, I recommend buying something else.

been wearing my xiaomi meme band 2 for the past month or so and it's great.

more fitness tracker than smart watch, but it's light, comfy, tells the time, and the battery lasts for about a month.

I like he notifications too, I can see whether it's a text, email, whatsapp, twitter, facebook etc, and decide whether to go get my phone based on that.

Gear fit2 works with gps and glonass and has a built in heart rate sensor. Maybe if you got of your neet ass sometime you'd have use for it. Doesn't mean sports trackers are useless.

>built in heart rate sensor
The optical ones built into watches often suck. The only ones with somewhat accurate results are based on valencell's sensors.

It's as good as any commercially available heart rate monitor. It's fairly accurate and can automatically monitor your heart rate during the day.

They are useless if you actually exercise.

The same type of heart rate monitors are being used by professional athletes so how are they useless? They're accurate enough for any type of athlete. Maybe not for medical purposes.

>The same type of heart rate monitors are being used by professional athletes so how are they useless?
Lol no they are not used by professional athletes. That's lifestyle watches. They may be OK for a person going out running once every other week but the results are in no way accurate.

>They're accurate enough for any type of athlete.
No they aren't. Some are so inaccurate they pick up the body's cadence when running instead of the heart beats. Valencell optical heart rate sensors are very accurate. Only one clock will have it and it's the upcoming Suunto spartan or whatever it's called.

>Maybe not for medical purposes.
You are going to need a chest strap and not an optical heart rate monitor if you want medical heart rate data.

Xiaomi's optical sensor is definitely accurate.

Xiaomi's Mi Band 2 has a watch function, though I don't think it's designed as a "smart watch" as such.

Well, both models cheap and light, and they have longer battery life than the vast majority of smart watches.

I'd not bother with buying a smart watch for a heart sensor, or even one with one.

You can't always wear a chest strap during the day because it's just uncomfortable.
And yes professional athletes do use optical hrm. Like mo farah he uses a tomtom watch with optical heart rate monitor during his training sessions.

>Xiaomi's optical sensor is definitely accurate.
It's shit. Like all budget optical HRM watches/bands they suck when it comes to actually exercising. They are useful for RHR bad that's it.

>And yes professional athletes do use optical hrm. Like mo farah he uses a tomtom watch with optical heart rate monitor during his training sessions.
That's because they are paid to. The tomtom watch has issues with it's HRM. Here a source dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/tomtom-spark-review.html. I bet that he actually uses some kind of unbranded Polar professional device like 90% of the athlete world do. It's all about professional coaching assisted by technology nowadays.

>It's shit. Like all budget optical HRM watches/bands they suck when it comes to actually exercising. They are useful for RHR bad that's it.
Professional tier exercising, with doctors investigating your blood and breathing and urine and 20 different probes on your body logging measurements 10 times a second on top of whatever is built into the exercising device? Yea, that's quite different.

But for normal pleb exercising or health condition related monitoring? That +-5BPM (or so) accuracy with measurements every few seconds at maximum will do just fine.

>Professional tier exercising, with doctors investigating your blood and breathing and urine and 20 different probes on your body logging measurements 10 times a second on top of whatever is built into the exercising device? Yea, that's quite different.
I'm talking about people that actually participates in various races and competitions as amateurs or just want to improve. If you actually do exercise more than once a week and care about results you will most likely have a watch from either Garmin, Polar or Suunto and they will most likely use heart rate strap from either Wahoo, Polar or Garmin.

>But for normal pleb exercising or health condition related monitoring? That +-5BPM (or so) accuracy with measurements every few seconds at maximum will do just fine.
More like +-10BPM when resting. Once the heart starts going it just can't keep up providing accurate results. Might as well have a random generator if you actually exercise with the Xiaomi sensor. This is nothing unique to the Xiaomi. It's a well known problem with optical sensors and even known brands struggle to create a cheap optical sensor and software that doesn't suck ass. The only built in optical HRM watches that can be somewhat trusted for exercising comes from Garmin and Suunto.

>The only built in optical HRM watches that can be somewhat trusted for exercising comes from Garmin and Suunto.
Is that something backed up by data?

I'd like to especially see data showing that Xiaomi's measurements are a lot worse than those two.

>www.dcrainmaker.com
This guy does the best sports technology reviews you are ever going to get. Spend a few days there. That guy hadn't reviewed Xiaomi but a quick google on the xiaomi reveals what I already knew. Cheap optical HRM sensors suck for actual exercising or well most optical sensors to begin with.

>wareable.com/xiaomi/xiaomi-mi-band-pulse-1s-review
>As for using heart rate readings during exercise, it's not continuous or quick enough for glanceable info for a start. The Mi Band Pulse also really struggles with when your heart gets going; during runs and workouts it was all over the place when compared to the reliable Wahoo Tickr X chest strap. That's something we've seen with much more expensive trackers as well though so I'm not at all surprised.

My two cents is that smart watches are the dumbest shit in the world. Worse than the ipod. I don't like iphone either but it has some uses so I won't hate on it too much. As for the smart watch, what if you get lost in the woods for 2 or 3 days? The battery dies after 18 hours. Doesn't seam very smart.

There's a self-winding Rolex that uses no battery. The technology is 50+ years old. As long as you wear it 15 minutes a day it keeps track of time. If you don't wear it 3 days in a row then it stops ticking and you have to wind it up again.

1931 Rolex watch last 3 days with no battery
2016 Apple smart watch requires battery last only 18 hours

> That guy hadn't reviewed Xiaomi
So why mention him?

Besides, that makes him sort-of like a NiMh battery reviewer that never tested any Panasonic/Sanyo batteries in my mind.

> but a quick google on the xiaomi reveals what I already knew
Even that article literally says:
> I found that its readings were accurate to within 5–10 bpm even when compared with a chest strap

What do you think the same reviewer would have said about the Garmin, Polar or Suunto...?

I do at this point think that you just went with a gut feeling or some kind of bias based on... Looks? Price?
That it's a *negative* bias is fucking weird though, given that we're talking about Xiaomi...

>So why mention him?
Because that guy does in-depth review comparing actual data. Every big company in the industry sends him alpha and beta products to get his input several months ahead of time.
>Besides, that makes him sort-of like a NiMh battery reviewer that never tested any Panasonic/Sanyo batteries in my mind.
What do you mean? I just said that the guy reviews sports technology products and he has found general issues with optical HRM sensors. He hasn't made any statement at all about the Xiaomi sensor. I googled the Xiaomi HRM and it kind of confirmed what I already knew. A company with no experience in the field couldn't create an accurate sports optical HRM.

>Even that article literally says:
>> I found that its readings were accurate to within 5–10 bpm even when compared with a chest strap
And if you bothered to read the next few lines it says it can't be used for sports activities. Those values are the RHR. Basically you sitting on your fat ass shilling Xiaomi devices 24/7.
>What do you think the same reviewer would have said about the Garmin, Polar or Suunto...?
That the built in HRM sensor is good enough for RHR and that some models are decent to great for workouts. Meaning it can detect intervals correctly and spikes in heart rate.
>I do at this point think that you just went with a gut feeling or some kind of bias based on... Looks? Price?
Listen here. Optical HRM is quite complicated. Both hardware wise and software wise. A new contender in the area that doesn't use a Mio or Valencell sensor gives me the feeling it's not a device you actually can use for sports.
>That it's a *negative* bias is fucking weird though, given that we're talking about Xiaomi...
I don't even know what the fuck xiaomi is because I don't spend too much time outside programming threads. But it must be some popular brand Sup Forums shills.

I got the LG G Watch for Christmas awhile back. Use it everyday and I have to say that it's pretty convenient to check as well as quick reply to emails and text messages. But I think smart watches are just another luxury item and I wouldn't be wearing one if I had to buy it myself.

> A company with no experience in the field couldn't create an accurate sports optical HRM.
At this point I can immediately say that you did a shitty job googling Xiaomi.

Virtually anything they did "first' has been good to the point of seriously competing with to displacing the best consumer product in the market.

> And if you bothered to read the next few lines it says it can't be used for sports activities. Those values are the RHR. Basically you sitting on your fat ass shilling Xiaomi devices 24/7.

>And if you bothered to read the next few lines it says it can't be used for sports activities.
He only had, what, five? ten? apps to get continuous polling, and the running mode on the (arguably then still Chinese variant of) Mi Fit.

Yea, it's quick enough to glance at. No, the measurements aren't random. That review just is a fast piece of internet journalism.

> Optical HRM is quite complicated.
Xiaomi engineers smartphones and autonomously flying capable detachable gimbal camera quadcopters and a lot more, so not really for that company.

> using anything other than the F-91W
> recharging a watch
All my keks

>At this point I can immediately say that you did a shitty job googling Xiaomi.
I didn't even google them.
>Virtually anything they did "first' has been good to the point of seriously competing with to displacing the best consumer product in the market.
That's what your biased ass is saying. A quick google about the mentioned device just proved my point that their optical HRM sensors face the same problem the other 80% of the optical HRM sensors do in the market. How much do you get for shilling their devices? Because your shilling is abnormal. You obviously have no fucking clue about sports watches and built in HRM but you have clearly made Xiaomi the industry leader because they can do no subpar devices according to you.

>Yea, it's quick enough to glance at. No, the measurements aren't random. That review just is a fast piece of internet journalism.
Listen here you fucking mong. The 5 to 10 BPM is RHR. Not exercising. It can't keep up in when actually exercising. And 5 to 10 BPM is a 8 to 17% error on my RHR. That's a quite significant error. The problem with the Xhingchong optical device is that it can't detect rapid rising and decreasing hearth rates. It means it's useless as a sports device. But if you are a 400 lbs fatass fused with your computer chair with a constant 180 BPM RHR then yeah a 5-10BPM is probably not an issue. But at that point there is no point in having a such device at all because you are a fat fuck and you don't need a HRM watch to know you are in a poor condition.
>Xiaomi engineers smartphones and autonomously flying capable detachable gimbal camera quadcopters and a lot more, so not really for that company.
They can design a fucking faster than lightspeed engine for all I care. They still can't make an accurate optical HRM designed for sports.

I don't even get why I'm arguing with you. You are fucking retarded and blinded by brand loyalty.

i use a pebble time round

i paid 175€ for it and i consider it just a pure luxury. but it gives you advantages in your lifestyle

Hey user, I know that T1 feel. What smartwatch is good with a CGM?

They offer no mechanical pulsing to the drug addicted male on the verge of a heart attack

> 5 to 10 BPM is a 8 to 17% error on my RHR
It's a casually observed total variance of the two devices used, and either way easily low enough.

> It can't keep up in when actually exercising.
No data backs that up.

One guy wrote that his measurements wonky in some unspecified fashion. And that on an app that polled far less frequently than the device actually can. That's all I've seen so far.

> They still can't make an accurate optical HRM designed for sports.
Just go with "the first time" being the problem when an attack on the general competence of the company seems not quite justified? Okay.

> You are fucking retarded and blinded by brand loyalty.
You went with the position that three brands must have made a better device than a fourth brand without *any* data (or prior knowledge - you apparently googled it all just now) to back it up.

You are at the very least the bigger brand whore than I am.

Certainly, when you baited with the general competence of the companies involved, my response included some brand whoring.

Well, I understand this is Sup Forums, it must be this way.

>It's a casually observed total variance of the two devices used, and either way easily low enough.
Look here. You are clueless. A chest strap is as accurate you can be. And that was comparing RHR. Which any optical device can more or less do somewhat accurately since they take a sample anywhere from once every seconds or once every several minutes because of battery life.

>No data backs that up.
There's no data backing you up that it is accurate as a sport device either.

>One guy wrote that his measurements wonky in some unspecified fashion.
That particular unspecified measure fashion is a typical quirk with cheap optical HRM senors combined with poor software. If you actually had some knowledge in the subject you would know this.
>And that on an app that polled far less frequently than the device actually can. That's all I've seen so far.
You would understand why if you didn't have 10 second google knowledge about this very subject.
>Just go with "the first time" being the problem when an attack on the general competence of the company seems not quite justified? Okay.
I am attacking their heart rate monitor. You start blabbing about phones and other shit. Your irrelevant blabbing makes you come off as a shill.

>You went with the position that three brands must have made a better device than a fourth brand without *any* data (or prior knowledge - you apparently googled it all just now) to back it up.
Here's a link and read the lenghty reviews: dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/winter-sports-gadget-recommendations.html

>You are at the very least the bigger brand whore than I am.
Why would I buy a device that doesn't work? What's important with a sports watch is good GPS, training profiles and excellent built in HRM if it has one. Second is the backend with training programs and interoperability with services like training peaks.
>Certainly, when you baited with the general competence of the companies involved, my response included some brand whoring.
I merely question their ability to make an optical HRM sensor. You brought in gimbals, phones and whatever. I don't even see what relevance that has at all. It's as retarded as saying just because Garmin can do good GPS navigation devices they can also make excellent optical HRM sensors (protip their optical sensors vary quite a lot between their products).
>Well, I understand this is Sup Forums, it must be this way.
Yes I'm sorry for questioning your favorite brand that has no flaws or poor products at all. Everything they do is flawless. Even though their optical sensors sucks ass they are clearly the best the market has to offer because they are chingmong and they always release the best of the best no competition. I have seen the error of my ways. I will never buy anything else that's not xionming branded in the future. Forgive of great xingmong shill.

I got a pebble for free once. But I didn't have a smartphone so ultimately its use was limited to just being a watch.

It was ok, as far as gimmicky watches go.

I have a Moto 360 2nd Gen

I can't say it has changed my life but I certainly wouldn't leave home without it. Not having to grab my phone out of my pocket to respond to texts or see if that notification that came through is worth dropping what I'm doing is really a nice thing.

>what if you get lost in the woods for 2 or 3 days
Wouldn't happen if you have a smart watch and smart phone, retard.

>
>Hey user, I know that T1 feel. What smartwatch is good with a CGM?
Currently using a dexcom g5 pebble with the xdrip beta on my note 5. I bought a pebble time round.

I've used a samsung galaxy smartwatch and the original Pebble.

Basically, they're all shit but pebble is less distracting. Plus you can program it in C which is cool.