"just works" linux doesn't get any better than mint 18

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/mint-18-review-just-works-linux-doesnt-get-any-better-than-this/1/

and how does that make you feel, user?

>pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/mint-18-review-just-works-linux-doesnt-get-any-better-than-this/1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I wish there was anything other than ubuntu-based distros that just worked, I don't like ubuntu's philosophy, but use it because it doesn't break and works out of the box(good font rendering, stable, easy package management, good driver support, etc).

debian is good as well but the installer has been giving me crap lately so i was forced to switch to ubuntu

>two year release cycle
so it's debian with newer packages?

It's Ubuntu (which is Debian) with a new DE.

That's about it.

Literally Debian. Ubuntu is only stable because Debian is stable.

Currently using Mint 18. There are some problems with it. The version of MATE they're shipping is like half GTK2 and half GTK3, so the bookmarks I set in the file browser don't show up in the file pile picker window in GTK3 programs.

You know what works even better than Ubuntu?

Windows

t. Pajeet

PCLinuxOS.

You're welcome.

Mint is the only distro actually putting effort into making Linux usable for normies
They add things that everyone else ignores like mouse acceleration toggles, easily installable codecs, a built in theme manager, gui applications for almost everything, etc

Wont even boot on muh skylake. Manjaro is the better choice.

too stupid to download shit yourself and look into the executables so you use linux

Mint is a good first linux experience. If someone is going to be interested they'll delve further. It's the only OS I've never had a problem with in any way other than getting bored with it.

I still can't connect to a PEAP Wi-Fi on mint 18 when I could in 17.3 on the same comp. How is this acceptable?

Ubuntu is what happens when you set up Debian correctly, install all the media codecs and GUI software to make it easy to use, then dump a giant, steaming pile of dogshit on top.

No AUR. PPAs are shit.

>and how does that make you feel, user?
lwn.net/Articles/676664/

Ars technica is microsoft shilling central nowadays
A lot of windows 10 articles and never a word about telemetry, updates policy, ads and subscriptions
Just "there is no reason to no upgrade!" Fucking Peter Bright with his chromosome-overflow face

>too stupid to look into the executables
>look into the executables
You sure have some mad retro engineering skills m8
Oh wait you are just a public defecation shill, nevermind

Are rootkits really so addictive?

Well, you can choose to enable the other levels of updates. In fact, they give you that option the first time you launch the update manager, and you can always change it later.

Also the "xedit" thing is incorrect, if I launch xedit it gives me the old xedit, because the "xedit" they are talking about is called "xed".

Mint is bloody gay.

>linux
>just works

Except when 90% of software you need doesn't have a Linux port.

>Well, you can choose to enable the other levels of updates.
Is it reasonable to assume that most Mint users will understand the implications of that setting?

My impression is that most Mint users are Ubuntu-babby tier users. They want something that just werks and looks good. And they don't understand how the devs (the dev?) is sacrificing security for stability.

>99% of his software is games

>arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/mint-18-review-just-works-linux-doesnt-get-any-better-than-this/1/

>dem downvotes

Ubuntu cinnamon and mate exist, what reason does mint have to exist?