People seem happy with getting haswell performance in 2016 or quite possibly in early 2017

>People seem happy with getting haswell performance in 2016 or quite possibly in early 2017

I know CPUs arent a big deal for a lot of people these days but surely you guys cant be serious. Unless these are like $20 its going to be hard to be swayed over to AMDs side

Other urls found in this thread:

ark.intel.com/products/92986/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2620-v4-20M-Cache-2_10-GHz
pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Haswell-vs-Skylake-S-i7-4790K-vs-i7-6700K-641/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>haswell
It'll be Ivy /Sandy bridge with ddr4.

So yes, in real world it'll be haswell tier performance with higher power consumption and heat output.

Well looking at performance increases for intel(5% for a generation),getting haswell performance for a whole lot cheaper is going to be great.It should be just good enough to make intel pay atention to AMD again .

I would suck dick through a straw for an affordable i7-4790. I might actually have an excuse to ditch my aging i7-2600k.

it will have to be really cheap like $150 or so.

I really doubt this. AMD went aggressive with their power saving tech just to offset the power draw bulldozer and derivative designs had.

This is all forwards portable and they would be very stupid to not put it into zen.

Also there is basically no difference between haswell and skylake so what's the problem there?

this, I got my 5820k for $290 back in 2015.

6 core haswell. AMD will need 8 cores around $400 and quad cores around $170-200 to beat intel.

>8 cores around $400

FX8320 was like 130 eurobucks back when I bought mine in 2013.

>ABSOLUTELY ZERO FUCKING DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HASWELL AND SKYLAKE AYY

yeah but it's got 1/2 the single core performance of haswell.

And new extensions like AVX2. Zen is going to do fine
Dolphin is a nice showcase for AVX2

AMD needs to charge more for something that performs less than something you got last year?

skylake i5s start at like $200. AMD arent going to get anyone buying zen if they offer something worse at that price.

For two more cores? Yes they should charge more.

I don't think they can go much over $400, but they can easily charge that considering the cheapest intel 8 core is $800-1000. 8 core with haswell performance will be expensive.

If it's Haswell performance with similar OC capability and I get 6-8 cores for the money of an Intel quad core unlocked i7 then it's a pretty nice deal. I'm on 4790K @ 4.7GHz, if AMD offers something like that I may upgrade. If not, no reason to switch as of now, I'm not getting any important CPU bottlenecks.

Zen seems to be the reason Intel is bringing 6 cores to mainsteam with 14nm Coffee Lake. Another 14nm processor was not expected

>coffee lake
who comes up with the names

The difference is mainly stock speed. 3.5 (haswell) vs 4.0 (skylake) this gives the impression that skylake is bit faster by tiny percentage in artificial benchmarks and multithreaded programs. Whereas in real game, the the clock cycle is still same, thus no real benefit. The other major benefit is the ram speeds, ddr3 vs ddr4. Its been shown to give nice 10-20% boost between lowest ddr4 and highest ddr4. So I'd imagine the speed is ever bigger vs slowest ddr3 and fastest ddr4.

AMD's "haswell" Zen will have DDR4 that will give boost to "haswell level" but we dont know much about their IPC or anything.

It could very well be Zen + DDR 4 = Haswell + DDR3, they might try to pass that off. Which to me will be a dissapointment, but I'll wait for how they actually get the performance.

No one gives a fuck about 2 more cores, you don't need them for 90% of the thing you do on PC.

If you NEED 6 cores just buy a i7 5820 for whooping $340.

Unless Zen costs under $150 it will be dead on arrival.

>muh cores

are you from china?

zen doesn't support avx2. zen has the same fpu throughput as piledriver and sandy vagina, there's just no more flexfpu, supporting avx2 without emulating it would require using two zen fpus.

>was excited for Zen
>found a computer on Craigslist for $400
>i54670.jpg
>buy computer and swap my FX-6300 into that build and vice versa
>sell exact same build with my POS in it for $450
>Profit plus new CPU

Well, I WAS looking forward to Zen, but I lucked out. Still hoping it performs well and drives the industry forward.
5 percent increase in performance is just lazy because they have no competition.

its obvious intel are stalling because they want competition. hence why they are just focusing on the gpu and power consumption.

If amd Zen tapes out to be as good as promised, I'll be one of the early adopters for their 8 (or 10) core models. If they can give haswell-ish single thread performance on an 8c16t cpu for around the $500 mark I'm sold.

Moar threads make video encoding/transcoding so much faster. I already have a 6700k/z170 setup so I would just be able to swap over the ram no problem. Turn around and sell my current cpu and motherboard for 95% of what i paid.

intel aren't stalling, they just can't gain anything by making wider cores any longer. if anything, making a cpu that's 30-40% faster than sandy bridge despite the die being ~70% smaller is a huge improvement considering how hard it is to develop good process tech now.

If Intel had sold an 8 core Haswell for the price Summit Ridge is going to go for, they'd have made bank.

They didn't. They haven't. They won't. They even lock things out on consumer models. Coffee Lake is desparation and it's still 2 cores short. And Cannonlake only goes up to 6 cores on consumer models.

Their server gear goes up to 22 cores. Wonderful, but the Zen Opterons are going 32.

Unless your workload is AVX-512 - which again, Intel aren't including in consumer cores - Zen's looking tempting.. unless the process and clocking sucks dick, and we won't know that until silicon actually hits shelves.

What would be wonderful is if Zen is good enough that Intel feel they have to respond to pressure from it to start trying harder and dropping prices - because they can do both. They're getting lazy and very very greedy because they're so far out in front.

znvr1 assembler targets output native AVX2.

>zen doesn't support avx2
Yes it does support it, even Excavator has avx2.
>supporting avx2 without emulating it would require using two zen fpus.
We'll see how they did it when it's out

How do you even know what it is going to go for when it hasn't been announced?

Seriously, is there any actual reason to have eight cores? The other day I saw this dinky SBC with some monstrous eight core ARM crammed in there. I mean, it sounds great, but wtf does one even do with eight 1.2 ghz cores/

video encoding

seriously that is about it.

maybe in the future we might get a few more games that are optimised more for it

Cheapest Intel 8 core is not 800 bucks.
ark.intel.com/products/92986/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2620-v4-20M-Cache-2_10-GHz

There you go, 420 bucks.

fuck off Arma3 gaymer

People on Haswell are not upgrading. There is a reason for that.

They are saving money by having smaller dies because of the resulting higher yields.

compiling my shit

>v4-20
>$420
ilmunati confirmed

Don't be retarded, cheapest consumer intel with 8 cores is much more expensive.

That 8-core's clock speeds are half what most people have and would be unusable for gaming

Blaze it

I am gaming on a 2GHz Haswell processor and it's fine. Also, if you're a gaymer, why the fuck would you even need 8 cores.

>4 generations
>20%
That's shit tier improvement. Hell, Kaby Lake won't be any different from Skylake. Compare original Core or even Netburst architecture to SB.

Note how there's only 2 niche uses that are over 30%.

The average between those is 24%, and if you don't emulate Wii it's only 19%.

>haswell
~10% worse IPC than skylake

But 6 cores for the price of 4 skylake in cores. And 8 "haswell" cores for the price of 4 in skylake cores.
So about 40-80% faster than a skylake in the same price range.

according to passmark they're nearly identical

Since this is basically a CPU thread I am going to ask this.

Do I need to upgrade my i5 3470 anytime soon? It's currently paired with a Zotac GTX 970.

Intel is going to fire dozens of research engineers in my country for dubious reasons, while pouring vast amounts of money in sjw programs. Fuck them, I'll wait for and buy zen for my next computer even if it's mediocre.

No. At least not until zen and Intels counter is out.

How would my 970 benefit if I throw in a newer CPU? If the gains are slim to none then it isn't worth it.

pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Haswell-vs-Skylake-S-i7-4790K-vs-i7-6700K-641/

Wew lad

use some software to check gpu usage and find out yourself

I think i'm good.

they might have better options enabled. Intel disables cores, multipliers, extensions, instructions on their chips.

Give me 4790k tier performance, 8 cores with multithreading and all the virtualization options enabled and I'll buy it. I'll fucking get it, Sup Forums. In fact I'll buy multiple if the price's right.

I fucking hate memelake (I bought a memelake laptop and it's been really shitty experience). Kaby lake isn't looking great either