For nostalgia sake, I wanna get a old Mac Pro abd max it out

For nostalgia sake, I wanna get a old Mac Pro abd max it out.

Anything I should know or worry about?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JUEJJnc7wo4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

make sure you know y = mx +b first

You will pay top dollar for decade old hardware.

If you're new to Macs, be sure to bring your own lube.

Why are old Unix Workstations so sexy?

>Anything I should know or worry about?
Yeah. Only faggots fuck around with old Macs.

There is no nostalgic value in a mac pro. Now a G5 or G4 on the other hand...

Best thing to ever come out of a tripfags mouth

Probably not, no. Just don't be a retard.

The build quality fucking sucks.
Exploding capacitors and overheating are common

Thought that was more of a problem with G5s, would explain why there aren't many poorfags dailying them on here though.

Any of the Intel Mac towers are a bad buy, save for MAYBE the very last gen, and even then it's only worth it if having a real Mac is important to you.

If you want the case and OS X, you'd be much better off buying a gutted Mac Pro case (please don't gut working Powermac G5s) and doing a hackintosh build with it. You can even build a Xeon hackintosh if you're wanting a true workstation machine.

(photo isn't mine)

4,1s are ok, and 5,1s are a fine buy.

Look for the tek synsicate video on maxxing out a mac pro from wendell

Sure, I can help. I have a Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to a 5,1.

Here's what I did:

GTX 970
2x Xeon X5690
512GB Samsung m2 PCIE AHCI SSD (must be AHCI, cannot be NVME)
USB 3.0 card
3TB HDD for Time Machine
New power supply

Here's what you need to know:
- If you change to a new GPU you wont get anything onscreen until the login menu. You can buy flashed cards if you need the boot menu. I just keep my old 512MB card plugged into another slot
- The GPU must take 1 6 pin, 2 6 pins, or 1 8 pin. No double 8 pins, its too much power. You get the special GPU cables on amazon. Theyre $5 each.
- Must use an AHCI SSD. OSX cant boot NVME SSDs yet
- Must install the Nvidia web drivers before the GPU will work. The 10XX series isn't supported yet.

That's about it. I added a 28in 4k Dell monitor and use a HiDPI program I got from the app store for $2 which works great.

It was about $1000 for all of this and the computer itself was free. Found it in a recycle pile. I see them go for about $250 sometimes.

Oh let me explain as well, if you upgrade to 6 core CPUs you have to do flash the firmware from 4,1 to 5,1 if you have a 4,1. It's just program you run, then reboot. Nothing crazy.

Finally, a word on the processors. You need to either de-lid them if you're getting the processors from old servers and putting them into a 4,1, or you need to get some spacers for the heatsink or you'll crush the die.

If I remember right on actual 5,1s you dont need to delid.

youtube.com/watch?v=JUEJJnc7wo4

>I just keep my old 512MB card plugged into another slot
So you're saying if I have a GT120 plugged into another PCI port with my monitors plugged into my GTX960, I will see the boot screen?

>I see them go for about $250 sometimes.
Not where I live. People here seem to know what they have. 5,1s start at ~$900, 4,1s at ~$600. The most $250 will get you is a 3,1 if you're lucky.

>Must use an AHCI SSD. OSX cant boot NVME SSDs yet
even windows can, lol

It's a nasty side effect of the workstation/high performance desktop market being so small for Apple. The Mac Pro very rarely gets updates, and as a result OS X chronically lags behind in official support for the hardware features found in such machines.

It's sad because I love OS X but the reality is that users of high powered towers intended for things other than gaming are an increasingly tiny segment of the PC market. The only significant money left in PCs is in slim, consumer friendly laptops and Apple's product line and OS development reflects this.

This effect is taking root in Windows too, albeit at a reduced rate. Its majority marketshare is the only thing slowing its transformation.

It's not OS X, though, it's the chipset that won't boot from NVMe.

I use a 1,1 as my daily driver, saved it from recycling at my old job. Currently running 10.11.6 with 16GB of RAM, SSD boot drive, and a Radeon 5770. It's a fucking tank. It rendered videos for like 8 years before I got it, and now I use it for Sup Forums and audio production. It will run Windows 10 if you're into that, and the hardware supports crossfire on the GPUs under Windows.

1,1 Mac Pros are under $100 or free.

Yea but they fucking suck.

I don't think a 10 year old machine that can still run competently run a modern OS, supports 32GB of ram, has 4 hot-swappable HDD bays and supports an 8-core 3.0Ghz CPU configuration 'fucking sucks'.

it's a mac tho right?

It's more than capable of running Windows, but I'm not a faggot.

>uses mac

>calls others faggot

wew

If it is about nostalgia, get a PowerMac G4/G5

>wew

Not quite, leave it plugged in and when you need the boot screen, switch your monitor cable over to the GT120

Gotta target educational institutions. That's how I got mine.

The chipset doesn't support it, not the OS.

A machine that sports FB-DIMMs, 2006 Core Duo Xeons, and SATA 1.5 drives does indeed suck a huge amount of dicks. The only machines worth shit in 2016 are 4,1s and 5,1s. 4,1s barely.

And breath mints. Just in case.