I'm 30 years old, is it late to start learning programming?

I'm 30 years old, is it late to start learning programming?

Other urls found in this thread:

cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Potential manchild gamer
>30 y/o browing Sup Forums
>Worth of anything
No

Depends, are you a wizard?

no
extra points if you have magical powers

r u a wizard?

too late to do what with it?!

>go to uni
>become a wageslave
>retire at 40

What is bad about it? I work in a media planning agency as a director already, not gonna leave my job for it. I just thought it can be a nice asset for my career but kinda frightens me

imo if you don't plan on making it the sole focus of your career, it's absolutely not too late to learn. If you do it correctly (learn to program, don't just learn a language) you will be armed with new problem-solving skills and it'll help you look at problems in a practical way.

Thank you.

yes. kill yourself.

Hell no, you're fine. 50-55 years old might be a little bit of a problem for reasons other than what you're thinking, but 30 years old is plenty young enough.

No. Just as in learning martial arts, time is your only enemy. Don't believe the failures.

No but you should be careful
+[----->+++++.[--->+---.[->++++.++++++++++++.[->+++++-.-[--->++-.+++..+++++++++.--------.----.+++++.-------------.--[--->+-.-----------.

It literally takes about a month to get the basics of a language down.

So no, Your not too old.

Anyone that says you are is probably some pissed off CS grad that's unemployed and waist deep in federal debt.

yes. too late. and don't listen to people trying to encourage you, they're either not being realistic, or also are 30 year olds trying to get into programming.

Also this.

>university debts

Seriously, this is infuriating.

Learning syntax takes no time at all
Learning how to actually solve problems takes longer

this

learning a language is one thing, engineering a production grade software with it is another.

Everyone can write, few can write good poesy.

>is it late to start learning
>30 years old
Yes. At this point you have to face it that whatever you are right now is what you'll be for the rest of your life.
don't trust the 'you can do anything you want, you're never too old' fags.
they're not the ones who are going to fail terribly trying to do something new.

>Learning how to actually solve problems takes longer

waaay longer

If you weren't already programming competently in a handful of languages in your early teens you'll never make anything of the time you'll spend learning to code.

If you're dumb enough to come to Sup Forums for life advice, then yes it's too late for you.

/thread

USA USA USA!

I miss Unreal Tournament

interested in OP question

what language would you recommend to start?
any books or website to start?

>> 55954863

C++ is nice and easy.

Javascript

How old are you faggots? If you < 30 you got nothing to say here. Anyways you sound like you live pessimistic, unhappy, negative lives.

C

To learn the absolute basics I would recommend Processing. Its an environment built on Java. Look it up.

No, but I am a lizard.

Yeah they have obvious issues

>asking faggot teenagers for advice

sort your fucking life out m8

My first programming job I was 32. A few years later I'm getting paid pretty well as a mid level developer. You just have to get your foot in the door somewhere and show initiative and desire to learn. Good luck.

I'm afraid it's too late for a lot of things lad.

I'm 30 as well. Just waiting for death at this point.

why wait?

you know what to do

I wanna see my grandma again. So suicide is not an option.

no but u mite suk

>implying she's in heaven

>She lived in absolute poverty, started working at age 8 doing laundry for some rich assholes that treated her like shit

>Stayed in poverty until she met her first and only love, turns out he was a douche and divorced her after a few years

>lived on her own the rest of her life, raising her only daughter and many other family member's children, out of love

>that also included some grandchildren, like me

>we were so poor yet so happy

>I became a good person thanks to her

>She died 3 years ago and I miss her so bad

I'm sure she's in heaven user. I was so happy when she was alive, and now I feel like shit because she's not. Can't take it anymore. Can't do shit for my life. I'm fucking done.

Prolly gonna end up being homeless until the winter or some thug takes my life.

I have simply lost the will to live.

;__; sounds like a great lady .. hope you get to be with her again m8

Not if you are an electric engineer

If you are a burger flipper, then do not even try.

beaner

So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/

For C++:
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.