Hey Sup Forumsuys, anyone on lumia 950 here? Is it really that bad? Have you tried continuum...

Hey Sup Forumsuys, anyone on lumia 950 here? Is it really that bad? Have you tried continuum? What was your overall experience?

I need to get a new phone as well. Is spotify working well on WP?

I think Windows phone can be good as long as it has 2GB of ram. i'm running the Lumia 640 at the moment and the constant ''resuming'' is a chore.

Got a 950. It kinda works since I do my document work there while my work laptop only has Linux in it.

Any specific scenario you're planning on using continuum on?

>Have you tried continuum?
it works great.

Continuum would be used for Office work and research.

lack of apps, but other than that it's good. there's no snapchat, for example

Have you noticed the lack of winphone threads on Sup Forums? MS stopped shilling it

Iheartradio is near unusable because of that on mine. A $30 phone is a $30 phone though.

UWP is slowly making devs come back. Slowly. Maybe once we are all dead there will be a decent app store.

that phone already lost $300 value(for new) in less than a year

on my 640, only spotify worked well but when I used the offline mode, one of my lists ( which I had downloaded on spotify) with 400 songs uninstalled itsself often. So I had to keep downloading it to listen while offline. Maybe a hardware issue?

What kind of office work? It doesn't do well on my thousand pages document full of tables and charts. Anything below handles fine but you'd need to adapt to the different shortcut keys the UWP has.

You would also need a Office 365 subscription but you don't have to worry that if your research department would be providing licenses.

I can get a licence from my emploeyer. Most of the work would be data entry and analysis plus some Powerpoint every now and then. Maybe using it to write on a personal paper when I don't bring my Laptop.

It's not really portable compared to a laptop. You're relying that a keyboard, mouse, and a TV/monitor is available for you to use it on the go.

Data entry and powerpoint is fine. I happened to use mine over Miracast to present some things. Impressed them a bit how I can just go in and present right away, rather than fumbling for cables and using a mouse to move back and forth slides.

What's analysis? Generating graphs and charts from thousands of data?

Yes

1gb is now the minimum for WP, it used to be 512 mb. That being said, as more of the apps adopt UWA standards that "resuming" experience will decrease.

Fuck Evan spiegel in the ass with a spiked dildo dipped a pot of ghost chili pepper sauce. Rudy Hyugen offered him a free app and free development, and certification and everything so that it wouldn't be like the 3rd party apps that hacked. And instead he goes out of his way to mock WP users for being too try hard about our OS. Fucking flaming faggot can crash and burn, I hope Instagram stories completely take over his market.

Lol ms doesn't give two flying fucks about WP. It just sorta slowly evolves. They never have been relying on it to bring money, just like they haven't been replying on Hololenses to make money. It's just developer teams that love their job, doing the dev work. No shilling or marketing teams exist for WP whatsoever.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. I love mine. Does everything I could ever want.

This.

Don't get it OP. It's not ready for the mass market. We only *just* got a Starbucks app. I mean, you would seriously have to love the OS.

Monitor, mouse and keyboard are allready in office and at home, the scenario would be to just plug it in when I'm in either of these places.
Visual representation of data would be useful some times, most of the time I'll only need to be able to make a crosstable to show correlations.

I had the lumia 925 back when, liked it a lot and am still sad that I sold it. Is it anything like that?

>snapdragon 808
>no snapchat
>"one drive"
>shitass live tiles

nah, I'm cool

Sounds like it can do what you want. How much are you paying for this? Do you have that 50% off discount?

If your employer is paying for it, why not try the HP Elite X3?

The app/OS design is a little different, but neither better nor worse. UI elements aren't so fat anymore, they're thin and refined/flat & material, which is nice, and usually things have traditional WP design adherence. However, occasionally you see shit like hamburger menus.

As for the lack of apps, it still lacks apps. And now for the local weather forecast...

All in all yes, I'd say it is. I came from a 925 myself. Very pleased with what I have as a daily driver..You'll meet some people on r/windowsphone and r/android who don't like where it's come but they're probably hard to find in general. I've been around since the original 7.0 days.

808 isn't the one with the overheat and throttle issues. 2 cores ain't enough to overheat it like that. Plus, it never heats up that hot anyways, unless you're playing games which is....eh. I don't see a point to it. I've never met another WP user interested in using it as anything more than a smart dumbphone (I do that too).

>no Snapchat
Fuck Evan spiegel

>mocking onedrive
It's better than google drive..

>mocking live tiles
Lmao okay. I mean whatever floats your boat.

I have no experience with L950, but as a Windows Phone/Mobile user for the past 4 years, let me tell you.. Don't get into Windows Mobile unless you want your device strictly for professional use. If you like to see new apps (you probably do, since you're on Sup Forums), features and such, don't switch to WP. I really love my Windows devices. They're great. Really beautiful. The customization pleases me. But I can't handle it anymore.

I don't live in the US, so I don't get any good apps regarding traffic, directions, ... Cortana doesn't work well outside of the US and UK.. Really disappointing. Basically no features. Cortana doesn't understand simple commands (like create an alarm). Microsoft doesn't care about the mobile sector at all. Their own apps are much better on iOS or Android. The apps Windows Mobile has are usually inferior (except for YouTube and Reddit, maybe).

This is a great platform, but there's no use for it if you don't have the apps to enjoy it. Only now I've accepted this. Now I bought a Moto G, because I can't handle the lack of care app developers AND Microsoft pays to WP.

Having said that, if Microsoft and developers started paying proper attention, I would switch back to WP in a heartbeat.

>It's better than google drive..

Well... At least we get lots of free space on OneDrive. I don't think you can get 60GB of free space with Google just by having their phones, can you? I'm not comparing other features, because I never used Google Drive, really. I had no reason to do it. OneDrive integration with Windows Phone is great.

Until you pay for unlimited storage and they say, nah, you've got a cap now. I have no idea what the space cap is for phones only, as my work cap is 10tb

It's 1TB now

believe me, I'm fully aware. I had the unlimited and got used to it.

My girlfriend always used Nokia phones so when she was finally forced into the world of smartphones she got a Lumia 620 back in 2013. Now it's time for another upgrade and because she's used to and enjoys WP, I'm thinking about getting her the 950. Good idea or bad idea?

I have the 640 and don't get that resuming screen since I upgraded to Win10. What sort of stuff are you running?

I use L730 and I never get the resuming screen either.. And I'm running Insider Preview..

just get whatever she wants
as a smartphone/os it is shit but it doesn't matter

please elaborate on what makes it shit

eh, i dont see the need to reward ms monetarily for a shitty design, ignoring the glacial pace of os development

Lack of apps (snapchat, bank apps, local apps for anything)
Existing apps are shit (Facebook, Messenger, Whatsapp, Youtube, OneDrive, Outlook, Calendar, Office, Cortana are all much better on iOS and Android)
Microsoft doesn't give a shit about mobile users, so they don't plan anything to make the platform better (WP will always be the "soon" platform. But the soon never actually comes)
Camera and keyboard getting worse with each W10 update

I could list a few more.

>shitty design
I hate when people confuse their opinion with objective facts
please do
and how are Cortana, Whatsapp and Onedrive better on android?

compare the 950 to previous lumias. it's horrid. a flimsy, painted, cheap plastic back (in only two colors), that leaves a dust collecting seam all the way around the device, with a windows logo that is apt to falling off. oh, dont like it, dont worry, drop another $50 on an already $600 device, on a piece of junk replacement with a faux metal band with faux leather backing. now, let put a big chin on the bottom, but instead of capacitive keys, lets fuck up the screen with software keys, which the os still cant do customization shit with. lets put in a gimpy processor, oh and few sensors and what not that you can't do shit with. you like nokia apps? microsofts own apps? well fuck you, lets take em from the store now, but dont worry, will put back half the functionality soon. shit, and i actually like windows phone...

I have a 920 atm and looked at the 950xl in stores a couple times already
I like the design of the 920 very much but I also like the design of the 950xl just the same
what I don't like is for example the Galaxy design

we can argue about our opinions some more if you want that

ITT: parheets trying to fool everyone

>buying a phone with an OS that gets useless after a new update
It's like an iphone but without apps.

Reminder that you can't turn off automatic updates and "feedback" on win10 mobile

Had a Lumia 930 for 2 years that had to RMA to fix a contaminated OLED. It was 'ok', platform support noticeably shitty but not a huge inconvenience. Got a Galaxy S7 while it went back for repair. I now have a phone that is supported properly and the Lumia is in a drawer collecting dust and I won't be using it again. The end.

>Lack of apps
That's still a serious problem, but UWP is slowly helping. MY local bank actually just released a UWP app. Until then, you can still use the mobile site for all these places.

>Existing apps are shit
Nope. This meme is thrown around Sup Forums all the goddamn time, but it's just not true anymore. Sure, there may be a feature here or there, but MS has overhauled a lot of their stuff over the last year or so to have parity on every platform.

>MS doesn't give a shit about mobile users
Google doesn't care about you either, nor does Apple. These are companies - they care about your money. If making the platform better increases revenue, they'll do it, it has nothing to do with "caring about you".

>Camera and keyboard getting worse
I disagree with the keyboard, but the camera is a fair point. However, they've already said they're working on reimplementeing overhauled versions of all the features they removed. Why they wouldn't just wait until they're finished and replace the features, who the fuck knows.

Reminder that you sure can. Automatic updates can be turned off in Advanced Settings in the update menu, and feedback can be turned off in the notifications and actions menu.

>60GB of free space
where? I had to delete heaps of my camera roll because they downgraded the free 'unlimited' plan and removed camera roll bonus

I went from Android to Windows Phone because Android is shit on the low end of the device spectrum. Windows phones just fucking work.

Also Android's internal storage partitioning system is bullshit and no amount of rooting or custom ROMs seem to fix that. Workarounds, sure, but no "install to the actual, physical SD card", which Windows phones have.

This. Speaking as the hardcore WP user from way earlier in thread, Linux is really attractive. And it had a chance to not fail on phones the way the desktop version did.

But, instead, it is run by google. It's such a fucking failure, it's still on and old kernel and will probably never update to the new one. It could just run an open source semi-rolling version of "mobile Linux" that could be easily forked, follow Linux standards, and appeal even freetards. Instead, google fucked it up so bad the only group of people capable of hardening it are google themselves, and it will never be modern or forkable. See Replicant for proof. It's not looking so great.

Now we're gonna have to start all over again with Tizen, Sailfish, Replicant, or Ubuntu Mobile. None of which are great ptions either or taking off. So I'm using Windows phone, which, as closed source options go, at least has a sense of consistency and simplicity throughout the os.

Just to add, the camera has improved significantly in the last month. A firmware update rolled out around July 15th, an OS bump, and a camera app update all brought changes to the way the camera works, and made it faster. I'm talking like, 50% or better, quality experience. The camera team fucking nailed it for the AU.

I don't know how much you "like" wp but I've been around since 7.0 and I've moderately pleased with everything they've done. Yes, it could be way better, but it's just a phone, and it's made amazing progress nonetheless. The phone is fast, and I can't text and call all day long, check my emails reliably and come home to a mail client that is in sync with my phone. The keyboard is great, the software controls work (although I do like capacitive more), you can customize more with this than 8.1, and all the sensors work without detracting from battery life.

As a matter of fact, the battery life is fucking amazing. It should be noted, I get a full day on a 2k screen. On a 1080p screen, that's 43.75% of the battery spent on the screen, saved. I can't fucking wait until a flagship that's 1080p comes out, it's gonna destroy battery life competitions.

Can text and call***

Another thing to note is that the battery life is this good on Snapdragon processors, which are notorious for hogging battery. If it had an Exynos processor, on a 1080p or even better, a 720p screen.....that's golden. Battery life would be 2 full days at least.

Retarded assumptions from a retard.

?? Look at the Z3C and Z3, or the Z5C and Z5. The lower res phone with the otherwise same processor and battery, have longer battery life. Fewer parts, in this case pixels, consuming less energy, equals more energy saved.