The current Bittorrent protocol is outdated. What should the next generation protocol do?

No, this is not a thing yet, but ITT we discuss the next version of the Bitorrent protocol, or whatever protocol will replace it.

The current version of Bittorrent is not enough for today's demands. We are using an insecure, somewhat inefficient and tough to deploy protocol that requires indexers, sites, trackers, and other places to even be able to use the damn protocol.

What do we need a modern p2p protocol to do in order to pirate efficiently, independently, safely, and universally?

Other urls found in this thread:

qz.com/740569/one-of-the-fastest-growing-fields-in-science-still-makes-a-lot-of-people-very-uncomfortable/
tribler.org/
github.com/Tribler/tribler
tribler.org/anonymity.html
github.com/Tribler/tribler/wiki/Anonymous-Downloading-and-Streaming-specifications
forum.tribler.org/t/so-how-anonymous-is-this/3306
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

facebook

Probably some sort of forced encryption

>bitcoin based blockchain torrenting.
the tracker is the blockchain itself.
>the coins are torrent hashes.
>bitcache makes the blockchain not limited
>transactions and shareing is completely anonymous
>you only know the wallet address of your peers but not their ip

Better anonymity.

Here in germany you get almost instantly fined. I accidently havent turned on my vpn for 20 seconds and got a 2000€ fine for that 20 seconds. It was my fault but... holy shit

This sounds interesting

Kim Dotcom is doing something like it.

>accidently havent turned on my vpn for 20 seconds and got a 2000€ fine

how is this remotely possible?

Movies.

Law firms get the peers IPs and try to get their addresses from the ISP. Since ISPs are forced to give out adresses to the law firms torrenting in germany is a minefield

I'm surprised nobody has developed this yet.

>Here in germany you get almost instantly fined.

You should have used private trackers. We have a lot of Germans on my trackers and they love it.

>>Law firms get the peers IPs and try to get their addresses from the ISP. Since ISPs are forced to give out adresses to the law firms torrenting in germany is a minefield

Why don't you just use private trackers, DDL, or usenet?

There's no way to get found that way.

What stops someone uploading a petabyte of torrents?

Why the fuck do you use public trackers in Germany? The Jews have completely taken over your country.

back to Sup Forums with you

nothing due to bitcache.
like torrenting your speed is limited by your peers.

Yes I will look into private trackers. But first I get a vpn with a kill switch or something like that. Thanks for the tips guys

>The jews have completely taken over your country

Yea sadly true. And by feminists.

>speaking the truth is Sup Forums now
dont worry krautbro when you become sweden 2.0 i wont laugh at you.
i will pity you.

how about you stop being a retard and stop using torrents in germany.
you have an incredibly precise legal wording for piracy.
DDL will not get you into trouble unless you are the uploader.
you have no one to blame but yourself. because your country is smart enough to leave users alone but go after uploaders instead.

every private tracker is monitored too.
dont be stupid.

A built in search function to search the DHT so we don't have to rely on www sites to get torrents.

In fact maybe just do away with bittorrents shitty DHT alltogether considering KAD is better in every way.

Fuck off, tumblr. Your kike masters have no control over this place.

Look into the SAFE network. Shit's the future.

IPFS is usable now, but not very friendly to use.

If you fill up the blockchain with petabytes of useless info how is it stored?

>every private tracker is monitored too.

Where's my ISP letters then? Where's the lawsuit?

Yes I completely stopped using torrents now since the little accident happened. I will completely quit priacy itself probably.

You have to be over 18 to post here.

only hashes will stored in the actual blockchain.
the actual fiels are tied to your wallet address.
youd be pretty amazing if you manage to create petabytes of hashes by your own without users actually downloading your torrents.

btdigg died because someone created an endless amount of bogus torrents

>maturity is measured by how much you accept the Jew's teachings

fuck off, Jew-worshiper

t. low wagecuck

enjoy never having a great heritage or bloodline bonehead

grow up.

Nebulous Inc has already created a data storage blockchain called Sia.

They plan to write a torrent application on top of it someday™.

look at this fag

you act like hating jews is ungrounded and a completely new thing.
its like you dont know shit about world history.

>implying the capitalist system favors natural selection

This is a system were the weak and feable can survive if they have the money, Capitalism is about as dysgenic as you can get.

>selecting for intelligence is dysgenic

seriously, people who win lottery money are usually right back in the poor a few years later.

people who are good with money are adapted to the modern world.

some Sup Forums posters are just butthurt retards, ignore them

Just wait for IPFS.

are trust fund kids inherently intelligent?

wrong dude
i said nothing about juice

Relying on websites is becoming increasingly fragile, unless those websites eventually move to TOR or something.

I'd almost consider suggesting going back to oldschool indexing like WinMX etc. did. Though perhaps adding modern community and verification methods to files. i.e. users can up/down vote if a particular download is safe, have a quality rating and comments that will be viewable.

And rather than having it as a singular program, have it as an API, with various networks/indexes/etc. that can be passworded and have certain conditions added.

No idea if any of this would feasibly work however.

usually just the trustee

Well intelligence is strongly genetic, and they have the advantage of good upbringing and education.

a direct communication to government and watchdog built in.

make it so there's a constant flow of data between nodes to hide start and stop times.

combine packages to make it hard for people to tell what you are downloading just by who you are connected to as peers

occasionally download a random part to make it harder to tell what you're downloading just based on what you're downloading

>strongly genetic

You mean 10%. That's an influence, but not as strong as surrounding culture.

>Genetic data from 20,000 DNA variants across several genes collectively account for 10% of the differences in children’s educational achievement age 16

qz.com/740569/one-of-the-fastest-growing-fields-in-science-still-makes-a-lot-of-people-very-uncomfortable/

Kek, in France the government just sends an email. And 6 months later , you will be deleted from the databases if you aren't caught red handed.
Only 4 people out of the whole country was fined

Isn't that like merkle tree used in git? I.e. you need to store only hash, if you need to get data you grab needed hash and are able to retrieve full needed data.

>only knows the wallet address, not ip
Then how are you supposed to make a piece get through to the peer? By propagating EVERY SINGLE PIECE of EVERY SINGLE TORRENT being transferred in the blockchain? Meaning, everyone would have to transfer/store some petabytes of blockchain in order for it to work?

wow if this is real, Germany is truly cucked.

Optional discovery.

The discovery works fine for large files, but is really bad when it comes to smaller files.

bittorrent sync and syncthing is too slow when it comes to small transfers.
File transfer with bit torrent has the potential to be faster than direct transfer, but it is not.

Say I take a picture with my phone.
I want that picture to be on my laptop, desktop and my server.
If the discovery works correctly, I should be able to connect to my server (as that has a static domain) start the transfer to that.
As soon as the laptop and desktop is discovered, my phone can transmit to those and boost the speed.

Am I wrong?

>they're poor
Because money loses value over time. You kind of have to spend it.

A method which does not expose your IP and forces encryption.

Tribler, built-in p2p torrent search and anonymous downloading

tribler.org/
github.com/Tribler/tribler

Well, BitTorrent already has a way to do decentralized tracking, but it would be nice to have some way of doing decentralized search, sort of like Limewire/Frostwire of old, so there's no way to take down the sites that distribute torrent data.

see, paying 40$ a year for protection against this kind of shit is worth it to me.

Everyone saying "LOL VPN? WTF" are idiots.

my deluge installation on my torrenting server run exclusively on a user that routes all non-local traffic through the VPN connection, and if that connection dies it shuts down deluge and tries restarting the connection. If the connection restarts, deluge restarts, if not it stays offline. I've also got a script that automatically port forwards through deluge (since I use PIA).

I've never gotten a fine or anything, but I'd rather not take the risk regardless. How some of you run seed machines on your home connection without any sort of protection is frightening. You're just waiting for something bad to happen. It's like never locking your door in a black neighbourhood.

If someone wants my scripts, just let me know and I'll help you set it up. Took me a while to find all the documentation I needed to set it up myself.

FAQ says they are not anonymous.

So... basically eMule?

Probably they forget to update it. Anonymous download has been included since 2 years but they are not guaranteeing it hundred percent because any software can have bugs.

tribler.org/anonymity.html
github.com/Tribler/tribler/wiki/Anonymous-Downloading-and-Streaming-specifications
forum.tribler.org/t/so-how-anonymous-is-this/3306

Kind of but their search protocols are different and emule doesn't do anonymous downloads.

So TOR and pray to god the first node isn't FBI?

>But Plomin’s paper is far from the only publication showing such results. Meta-analysis of 61 twin studies shows that genetic variation accounts for 66% of educational achievement at primary school level.

>Bittorrent 2.0
It's called I2P

Every private tracker is monitored.

I have invite rights on most trackers and firms approach me with requests for invites (started out with me approaching them, then having them return asking me if I had invites for another tracker which I did. It evolved from there), whilst in return I get a nice amount of money (around 500-1000$ per invite, depending on the tracker) and immunity.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this deal as well.

I checked how they kept up their ratios a while back, and they seem to be downloading most new releases and then just seeding them. Probably waiting for a client to approach them and wanting them to crack down on specific releases, then they just check their database.

Just use VPN or an anonymous seedbox and you'll be safe I guess.

Lol this is such bullshit.

I am the God-Emperor of all private trackers and indeed the jews want to buy invites.

BT is obsolete, broken by design, and is slower than direct downloads most times for legal content (most legal content has a good goddamn server and isn't fucking relying on a bunch of jerkwads with shit connections and if the content is hard to find or on a shit server anyway, it's going to be hard to find and not seeded in BT also) and is actively policed for copyrighted content. Anyone still using fucking BT in 2016 is a goddamn idiot.

bullshit

i2p isn't a torrent protocol, despite supporting torrenting within the i2p network

But it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread if you want to talk about your shitty politics, do it where your supposed to faggot.

Torrenting on i2p is painfully slow. It can take 12 hours to download a shitty yiffy rip.

I literally just purchased a VPN I've been shopping for almost 2 weeks checking speeds and reviews. So far so good! The VPN is doing its job and the kill switch is great. Tested it using a mint Linux torrent and without the VPN connected everything just drops zero traffic in or out. Still messing with settings at the moment but I'm fairly satisfied thus far.

Which vpn if you could, looking for one.

You don't really need 3rd party apps.

Just use OpenVPN, then block your torrent .exe file in the Windows firewall from working on non-private connections..

>The current version of Bittorrent is not enough for today's demands
Why?
>insecure
Connections to trackers and connections between peers can all be encrypted for bittorrent. Enabling it or forcing it is a client problem, not a protocol problem.
>somewhat inefficient
In what way?
>tough to deploy
Hardly.
>requires indexers, sites, trackers
The bittorrent protocol does not require any of those. The services you use require them because there's no other way to keep track of and search for content without indexing it, and there's no way to interface with those indexes without a site. The bittorrent protocol is specifically built to not require a tracker if necessary. That's what DHT is for.

It sounds like you don't actually know anything about the bittorrent protocol or protocols in general and have nothing you could possibly contribute to a "superior" version

You can bind most torrent clients to VPN's virtual ethernet adapter

>What do we need a modern p2p protocol

I'd like to see p2p used much more for hosting web sites. So instead of hosting web sites on a server with a static IP address, people start hosting web sites entirely in p2p space.

That way, sites like KAT and TPB and Torrentz can remain robust.

To do this, I think we would need at least a few things:

- Browsers that natively support accessing files directly through various p2p protocols, just as naturally as they access files via HTTP.

- A public key infrastructure to prevent fakes from being published. Somehow there would need to be some kind of "trust authority" so that, for example, if you see a public key that claims to be named "ThePirateBay", you can look it up in the trust authority to see how many up-votes that public key has received. (Ideally your browser would simply display a "trust score" for each site, so you can easily spot fake sites.)

Not him but it happened to me too.
Gf downloaded a German movie from an underground Korean goatherding website that had a public tracker listed. A week later I had a cease and desist letter in the mail.
Had to pay the usual 954 € a lawyer got it down to 500 something. Germany should burn, thanks to the Arabs it pretty much is doing so already.

If you don't believe it just google "abmahn industrie" and use Google translate

The Jews have really ruined Germany

enjoy sites progressively getting slower because of no seeds.

Your country has been ruined ever since Hitler was declared an asshole.

We can add what we need by torrenting over i2p.
Or using something like GNUnet.

Completely decentralised protocol, even for bootstrapping.

Strongly post-quantum encrypted.

State-of-the-art anti-censorship, making it all-but impossible to block - as effective in China as it is in Iran, Burma, or even Liberty University, VA, US.

Privacy-preserving, even against global active attackers taking up

Do you have anything useful to suggest or are you just going to list different ways for a protocol to serve you dinner?