Is there any reason not to buy the compact versions of cards like 1060...

Is there any reason not to buy the compact versions of cards like 1060? I guess the cooler works somewhat better on cards with those long double fan configurations, but if you're just going to run stock anyway it shouldn't matter, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

legitreviews.com/nvidia-evga-geforce-gtx-1060-video-card-review_184301
guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_470_gaming_x_8gb_review,6.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gosh that is too kawaii to exist

Yes.

1. GPU Boost 3.0 won't work as well due to the card hitting thermal limits.
2. You're missing out on Quality VRMs.

Granted, those cards are great for for SFF and budget oriented builds but I would spend the extra $20 and buy a dual fan version.

Personally I'm waiting for the EVGA SC GTX 1060 mini version since EVGA has it's head stuck up it's ass and won't release the dual fan ACX3 versions. The EVGA 1060 SC mini costs $300 USD here and that's the absolute max I'm willing to pay for the 1060.

Don't feel like paying $350 local prices for a Gigabyte G1 or Asus Strix, at those prices I might as well spring for the 1070.

>1060
outdated trash

Inside a Zotac 1060 Mini for reference.

Don't minis have a clock speed of 1500mhz and proper ones run at 1600mhz?

No. GPU Boost 3.0 can bring them all the way up to 1800+mhz if you set the fan curves right.

This one seems very different but they haven't put what settings they had.

Who the fuck tests at Medium settings?

>power connector
Into the trash it goes.
Get your shit together, nvidia.

Doesn't it mean the brand choice is even more useless now more than ever, other than fan quality? I'm not saying you're wrong but I refuse to believe that is the reality. Where is the GPU Boost option?

I'd rather have two fans doing less RPM but I do understand a mini is great for an ITX build.

Zotac don't give you shit for replacing their paste either.

Cooling capability is roughly directly proportional to the mass of the heatsink. If you can't make use of its compact size in any way other than to look cute, you lose out overall.

Brand choice still matters. You pay for component quality and heatsink performance.

What became obsolete is EVGA's various SSC editions and whatnot.

I'm not using AMD because it doesn't have the feature sets I use.

The HD6850 was awful, and the 6970 I had after that exploded.

>amd
>blower

No one does this, thats just the bit you need to remove to install a water block.

Looks like you got one that didn't have a sanded PEG.

Yeah since if you know what you're doing you can clock it nicely.

I haven't seen any reviews of the EVGA 1060 minis.

But they can't be warmer than the Zotac 1060 AMP at 78 load, right?

Right, probably would run 70c at most if you customize the fan curves.

Unless the price isn't considerably less and your build isn't ultra micro meme tx, there are only downsides.

"When it comes to temperatures the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with the stock GPU cooleridled around 34C on our open air test bench and then hit 78C at load while gaming.The EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC idled at just 22C and topped out at 60C when gaming, so there is a huge difference between GPU coolers! The EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC was louder at idle, but the temperatures were amazing. Both cards voltages were identical as theytopped out at 1.0620V while they idled at 0.6250."

But if you load the fan stop bios

"Noise is way down at idle/load, but temps are of course up. We originally got 22C at idle and 60C at load on an open air test system and that was amazing. Now we are getting 37C at idle and 74C at load, but the card is silent at idle and much quieter at load. Noise was 39.8dB idle and 43.4dB load and now they are at 37.9dB idle and 38.4dB at load. Going down 5dB is huge as the decibel scale is logarithmic! We also noticed that the idle power from 96W down to just 94-95W with the fan off, so lower noise, less power and still respectable temperatures. If you wanted to run cooler you could always adjust the fan profile with a utility like EVGA Precision X OC."

legitreviews.com/nvidia-evga-geforce-gtx-1060-video-card-review_184301

Note. That's the SC with the heatpipe.

(You)

Wait. The 470 is outperforming the 480?

THERMAL THROTTLING.

I'm wondering this too. I can get one of these mini 1060s for $340CAD, but the large ones are all around $400CAD. I'm just not sure of its worth the extra money to go for a large one.

cuck

All I want to say is why the fuck are all the GTX 1070s so fucking huge?

A client had a Sharkoon case which only allowed for a 28cm GPU and all the AIBs from ASUS and Gigabyte were over 28cm

He ended up buying a MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 because it was only 27.8cm.
Sure the founders edition is shorter but no one buys those.

Also fucking Sharkoon says there is space for 30cm GPUs but the third PCI slot is only 28cm before hitting the HDD cage and the cards are all so fucking thick that the plastic cooler shroud interferes with the third slot.

Brilliant!

I was looking for a review of it.

Keep in mind that's a custom 470 and it doesn't state the settings used.

But then with the price gap you can get an MSI 470 with nice acoustic and thermal performance for £230, or a sapphire 480 for £240 with not so good thermal and alright accoustics.

The overclocked 470 trades blows with the stock 480 while being priced over $200 USD at that point you might as well get a 480 and overclock that.

True, however the thermal performance and noise isn't too brilliant but could be compensated with other parts of the setup.

>Sharkoon case
I've never actually seen one of those in real life. What's the build quality of the case like?

I always buy the reference cards. This is because when it's time to resell, for some reason people pay a premium for them over the other cards. This is especially true for the GTX cards with the glowing led GEFORCE GTX on the side.

Personally, I felt that the 470 should have been $149.

Mmm Housefires by AMD.

is that the ref?

Or is that one of the RX 380's from last year that were a little bit toasty?

Comparable to a CM HAF, I personally prefer full aluminum cases though.

No. It's a non-reference MSI RX470.

I agree, hte reference design holds value better.

guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_470_gaming_x_8gb_review,6.html

As scary as the thermals look it says 66c here.

>medium settings

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is more funny that that guy a couple of days ago who was trying to convince people to buy a 480 and a 4k monitor to play at 1440p

rajeesh got triggered

>guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_470_gaming_x_8gb_review,6.html

At the core. Yes. Which has an actual heatsink on it unlike the VRMs.

shills

>amd literally cutting corners

True, I guess things like this are usually why I'd put an Nvidia in a compact build.

Whats the point of these cards when cases are cubic in design?
Is a gpu as long as the mobo all that is required?

hell, keeping the card long but shortening it would be more useful?

or am I missing something?

shills

B-but I'm cuter

See this is why I'm waiting zotac and others seems to be using 950 coolers for the 1060. That won't run quiet at all.

I haven't seen the inno3d card reviewed, but it looks like it might deliver.

>mini itx nvidia cards

Kill yourself weebs

I was thinking of building a not so small mini itx. I don't like the idea of those silverstone cases where everything is cramped up like a console but after owning a mid case for 5 years and never requiring extra pci slots or anything other than an ssd I don't see the point of a big case over say a fractal define nano s.
Should I go with an aio or an air cooler?
I want to move my pc every 6 months or so and I don't want the heatsink to bend the cpu/motherboard when moving.

Could always go with a smaller AC. Are you going to OC?