DotNET developer here. Have a very young guy sitting behind me who wants to be a developer...

dotNET developer here. Have a very young guy sitting behind me who wants to be a developer. He has a pretty big sense of entitlement, often complaining about his salary and how he should have been hired as a developer rather than a business analyst.

He has started asking me the classic "gotcha" questions all the time. Like, "what's the difference between async and multithreading", "what are the differences between jQuery 1.9 and 3.0". At first I thought he was just being inquisitive, but it quickly become clear he just looked up the answers and is only asking me because he wants to see me give the wrong answer. He also made some jabs about me having an IT degree when he has a CS degree, and how we should trade jobs.

I have seen this many times before though, these kinds of smug and degrading attitudes among developers. So many seem to get off on making other developers look stupid.

How do you deal with this?

>dotNET developer here.
There's your problem.

>How do you deal with this?
not be an incompetent dev and know this shit

Wait till you are at a group lunch, or some event where he is not at his desk but within earshot of lots of colleagues.

>You: Hey mate, you are good with multithreading, right?
>Him: Yeah.
>You: Here is some paper and pen, can you show me an example of multihreading in your preferred programming language?

Tada.

grow a pair and tell him to fuck off. put a complain with hr and get him black listed. he gets fired and never work again. the end

I do. I'm wondering why these kinds of attitudes are so common in this industry. I have never seen so much raw insecurity manifesting in such nasty ways in any other group.

Not OP, and not a dev. I live in the operations world.

Actually, I've done this to a few new hires that have been assigned to my team.

> How do you deal with this?
I don't, but if he wants to be a developer - what's the problem.

Alternatively, just in case:

>You: Hey mate, you are good with multithreading, right?
>Him: No.
>You: And that is why you are the analyst, and I am the developer.

Note: The above is an asshole move. Should not be used with normal people, only on snobby brats.

>these kinds of attitudes are so common in this industry
What is your geographical location? I have heard the "entitled non-developer" is a stereotype in certain region of the USA, but it is not common elsewhere.

I don't care about him, I have met at least 20 others exactly like him over the years. I'm used to dealing with these kinds of faggots in this industry. Had a few bosses like that even, where it really mattered because if you don't know you could lose your job. This stuff rolls off me at this point, but I am curious why this industry seems to attract so many creeps.

Tell him to fuck off. What are you, a pussy?

"John I'm fucking busy can you fuck off."

Baltimore. I didn't care about his gotcha questions because I am usually able to answer them easily. The way I take my revenge is by turning the tables and asking a deeper question I know he won't know how to answer. This causes him to scuttle off. The degree comment got under my skin though I will admit, it's a soft spot for me because I had to work so hard for it.

>This stuff rolls off me at this point, but I am curious why this industry seems to attract so many creeps.
That's what happens when you refer to your employees as "talent". They end up with big heads. Not to mention places like StackOverflow that make it easy for an entry level developer to pretend to be a rockstar.

>The degree comment got under my skin though I will admit, it's a soft spot for me because I had to work so hard for it.
It really shouldn't. Especially if he's only got an undergraduate degree.

The reason you get this is so easy. It's like when a tsundere asks why does their crush always pick on them. It's to get a reaction from someone who is lying to themselves. I

Yeah, he's undergrad, hired fresh out of college. Even with my masters I wasn't able to get a job at a place this great after graduating, had to do six years slogging it out with the Indians and moving from sweatshop to sweatshop. He sits at his desk all day playing games on his phone and not working. When he complains about this job not being good enough for him I want to cut his nuts off.

Either his laziness will be found out, and he gets let go, or his laziness will drag the company down, and you find yourself a better place.

>He also made some jabs about me having an IT degree when he has a CS degree, and how we should trade jobs.

Should respond to that with something like:
>considering you can't program that's pretty unlikely haha

>considering you can't program that's pretty unlikely haha

This made me laugh. I wish I had said that, what a smack down.

>botNET
ehhhhh

>lmgtfy is the answer
or
>tell him: you should know this you're a cs

don't fall for his game, this happen always in my country but in a 'my dick is bigger kind of way' is a macho thing.

In a friendly manner ask him what's the deal that you want to be friends if he is insist with this, he'll tell you x or be awkward moment

>not working exclusively in machine code

get on my level brah

>tell him: you should know this

Wise words. My boss at code boot camp did exactly that when he didn't know the answer to a question we would ask. "Come on guys, you should know this", beautiful way to turn the tables on us and make us feel stupid/scared. Wasn't until years later I realized he didn't know.