Hackers are now infecting thermostats with ransomware

thenextweb.com/gadgets/2016/08/08/thermostats-can-now-get-infected-with-ransomware-because-2016/

>If you’ve encountered ransomware before, you’re familiar with how incredibly destructive it can be. It literally holds your computer and files hostage unless you cough up a steep ransom, usually paid in Bitcoin.

>Now, it looks like ransomware is about to make the leap from computers and smartphones to Internet of Things devices.

>Andrew Tierney and Ken Munro – two UK-based researchers for IT security firm Pen Test Partners – demonstrated the world’s first ransomware for a smart thermostat earlier this week at the DefCon security conference in Las Vegas.

>The Wi-Fi enabled thermostat that the researchers targeted is basically a Linux computer. It allows the user to upload wallpapers and configuration settings through an SD card; that’s what they as a vehicle to install a malicious program onto the device. At this point, an attacker would have full control over the thermostat.

>It’s worth noting that for a device to be infected, an attacker would need physical access, or the owner would have to be tricked into infecting their own thermostat.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p3vDzoZqx-o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Internet of things was a mistake.

kek fucking awesome

If you have physical access to somebody's thermostat you could also just hold a knife to their daughter's neck and demand $1 million. Retarded stupid shit.

This may very well be THE SHITTIEST piece of journalism I've seen all year.

>pay 1 bitcoin to get control back
It would actually be cheaper to buy a new thermostat.

Newsflash! Men with hammers, standing next to your thermostat, could lead to a chilly night. More, at eleven.

>Needs physical access to the device
Wow, it's fucking nothing!

Bitcoins are cheap. How poor are you?

Couldn't you just reformat the thermostat? Ransomware works on computers because people have important data, but this is just a fucking thermostat.

>actually using IoT other than smart light bulbs

Literally this.

This wouldn't happen if the owner used common sense.

>*rings doorbell* "Housekeeping! Hi, I'm Stacy. Marcia couldn't come in today because she's (laying unconscious in the back of the van and I stole her uniform after I sedated her) called in sick today, so I'll be filling in for her today. Don't worry, your house is in good hands."

>fat neckbeard in maid suit
>"M'sir, I am V, V for Housekeeping. I Will be needing access to your thermostat today."

Stacy can go to hell right alongside her on-off beefcake Chad.

Perhaps you should learn to read. I was comparing the relative costs of bitcoins and thermostats, not the relative cost of bitcoin to the size of my wallet. Bitcoin right now is ~$590. Searching Lowes' website for smart thermostats reveals prices between around $100 and $250. Clearly the ransom is too high if one could throw out their thermostat and buy TWO MORE for less money than it would take to pay the ransom.

Proprietary software is the mistake

But the IoT shit runs mostly on Linux, it says right there in the article

Wireless internet was a mistake.

If Linux is not GNU, it's proprietary.

All you need is a utility safety vest, a hard hat, a fake energy company ID badge and some decent acting skills. Social engineering, Kevin Mitnick style.

youtube.com/watch?v=p3vDzoZqx-o

Not really. I like being able to use the internet outside.

AOSP isn't proprietary.

And plugged
Internet is a mistake

If it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't have anyone to talk to. :(

you would be pure monk instead of internet addicted degenerate

R-rubylux?

Browsing /g is not talking

why the fucking hell is a fucking thermostat connected to the internet

Posting on Sup Forums is :^)

What kind of pleb doesn't have his thermostat hooked up to the internet? I bet your toilet paper doesn't even have bluetooth

Android has a bunch of problems due to being proprietary. Hell its worse because your phone probably comes from a provider like T-mobile or something that has to take googles proprietary shit and add their own shit to push it to you.

Tons of android phones dont get security updates after a year or two.

If it wasnt for the internet you would have never been able to become neet.

>If you have physical access to somebody's thermostat
>Wi-Fi enabled thermostat

Linux kernel is under GPL. It's free software.

This demonstration required that you get infected files on an sd card that is inserted into the thermostat. There was no Wi-Fi involved.

Read the article

it's 2016 im not reading shit :^)

common sense isn't, guy

....so you need physical access?

It's fucking nothing.

Wow those guys are fucking dickheads.

electronics in home appliances were a mistake.

home appliances were a mistake

and electricity

mainly electricity t b h

>Android has a bunch of problems due to being proprietary
Android is FOSS you fucking doublenigger. Baseband and camera drivers aren't but Android is.

You realize that would require the person to have physical access to the SD card by your own words right?

>having thermostats that can download online updates

Stallman warned us about this but you wouldn't listen

You need to learn how to read

You would be really surprised how much of Android isn't FOSS.
Have you recompiled your kernal lately?

why the fuck is this a thing, fucking internet of things is in cars and it is easy to turn off someone's engine remotely and do other horrible shit, the internet of things is next to george orwelle and what he feared would happen.

Gotta rek steel mountain, yo.

Good, fuck the 'IoT' bullshit. It's hard enough getting a normal TV nowadays instead of these bullshit '''smart'''' ones.

Android might be FOSS, but the proprietary Google services, drivers and everything that makes Android actually usable, certainly isn't.

I can't take journalists seriously where they either 1: use literally where it is not needed or 2: use literally when they mean figuratively. 2 usually only happens with teen girls but 1 happens a lot and people should be put down for doing it.

The whole point was that you can trick someone into installing wallpapers on their thermometer, via downloading some malware ridden package from the internet onto an SD card, correct?

came here to post this

> It allows the user to upload wallpapers and configuration settings through an SD card; that’s what they use as a vehicle to install a malicious program onto the device.
Couldn't they just trick the user into downloading infected files, like they usually do?
lel

>It literally holds your computer and files hostage unless you cough up a steep ransom

Wait, there's ransomware that actually restores the system after the BTC is paid? Fucking white knight faggots

Just wait for smart refrigerators, smart stoves

>Wifi thermostats
Why?

>tfw your smart toothbrush gets hijacked
>hacker has access to your network, hacks into your router via toothbrush wifi
>opens up all ports
>now he drops malware on all your smart devices
>your toothbrush tells you to step on your smart scale and pay 1 bitcoin to an address which your smart lights flicker in morse code
>threatens to use your smart toaster to burn your house down if you don't comply

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

>licensing is responsible for lazy, insecure implementation
Please fuck off back to 8gag /tech/

>someone took Mr. Robot literally
>it actually worked
this world lmao

>smart thermostat

wew lad

Wow it's fucking nothing, just reflash your firmware on the (Internet of) thing.

The reason why ransomware is so destructive is precisely because you can't do that.

Day by day we are reaching a world closer to Megaman Battle Network. I'm fockin' hyped son.

>Owning jewelry

Homes were a mistake

Civilisation was a mistake.

I also consider it talking. All my talking is either shitposting here or inside my head with some characters I made up.

>getting fucking hardware access to a machine with no password
>we hacked it!
great job Andrew and Ken, that must have been very difficult, well worth demonstrating at DefCon

This wouldn't have happened if you had disabled your bluetoothbrush while not using it

If it didn't what would the point of ransomware be?

The real targets are businesses who are willing to pay $2000 or whatever to get their data back.

>Thermostats can now get infected with ransomware, because 2016

dat title

I'd say it would be good for business, if you'd paid the ransom and actucally removed the problem then people would spread it around that you're a good person to be fucked by, like banks with good interest rates.

Death penalty should exist only for thieves like this

Why'd the fuck would you be attacking the elderly like that

>Internet of Things
White people are so fucking stupid

Bipedalism was a mistake.

>Not dressing as a maid
>Not sucking the guys cock
>Tfw will never be a cute trap

>have decades old appliances that are made out of 99% sheet metal
>rarely break
>if they do break it's mostly some plastic bit you can get from a supplier for $40 or 3d print it
maytag stronk

>being such a lazy slob that you need to hire a fucking maid to keep your house clean
that's what wives are for

LCL was a mistake

>Internet of Things devices.
I want this meme to die.

Underrated.

Any dumbfuck who installs any device (aside from a computer, tablet, etc) with a routable IP address deserves what happens to them.

This IoT shit is going to backfire badly.

Inb4 buying security programs and apps for all IoT devices lol

Can it affect my Ecobee? If not, then I don't really give a shit. Not like anyone can access my local network either ways.

WTF I hate linux now

Lol

> he fell for the niggernet of thangs

You could read books, play interactive fiction games, and even dialup your local BBS's.
You could even roleplay your own D&D characters on solo adventures. Endless possibilities!

lol

reminds me of a scifi book where a guys cybernetic eyes got adware and he shothimself after months of watching cinese hotel adverts scrolling accross his vison even when his eyes were closed

Diamons Age iirc

this. my apartment is in an impenatrable fortress btw