Is becoming a Sys. Admin worth it?

Is becoming a Sys. Admin worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/vagidictoris/kanyeflp-is-fine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No

No. Wages are about to fall off a cliff, between H1Bs and offshoring, talent glut, and job consolidation. And corporate America hates IT, culturally. Go comp sci, or MBA, or become a plumber.

After reviewing the extensive list of things you like and hate, I can tell you'd be perfect for a career as a system admin

I'm doing a bachelor in digital forensics, but the first year is sysadmin. So i'll probably get that job while studying, in my country it pays about 50k dollares a year.

>No. Wages are about to fall off a cliff,

Literally not an issue.

A 60k job for a Sup Forums-man is fuckign rich. You can buy a 200k house in 6-7 years living like a king.

Hows forensics? Is netsec a good route to go?

Only if you're not going to stop at just being a SysAdmin.

Tech is here to stay and wages will continue to be good, but you can't just be one thing and never grow. You'll need to be versatile in many things and have one or two specializations if you're wanting to make the $$$ money.

I've been in IT for 12 years. I broke into the 100k range in 8 and finally hit the 150k base (200k+ with bonuses) in 11 as a Systems Engineer at Cisco.

Zappa is that you?

>tfw this is my life
>tfw this is true

I thought this guy was wearing a suit at first

Did they force you to become Cisco certified over there because you work for them?

Maybe not an issue if you were already certified though.

>tfw wanna break into infosec

post yfw the next recession hits and the tech bubble bursts.

I was certified before I started working there. The perk is they give you massive amounts of resources and free testing, so I was able to get my CCIE DC there.

No, but having a Sys. Admin outsourcing business must be a pretty good deal.

pajeet?

Do you live in the US? Are you a *good* sysadmin. Honestly. Search your heart. Are you a fucking *good* sysadmin. Can you go through Linux from Scratch without batting an eyelid? Can you build an AD forest without looking at reference guides?

If you are, then yes, being a sysadmin is boss. But know that you will likely be team lead on a group of Pajeet motherfuckers who need to be spoonfed literal scripts for every single task. However, you will make bank. If you aren't a *good* sysadmin, then no. The cubicle jockey job that you get paying $50k a year will get outsourced to a guy that literally shits on the street and paid $125 US to go to a 6 week course on Windows.

No, he gave me the idea.

>>tfw wanna break into infosec

Dude, infosec is a bubble. Just get your CEH and apply everywhere and you'll get a job approving firewall tickets and running nessus scans making $80k a year. Don't blame me when they fire your ass in 5 years though once they realize they can outsource your trivial job to India.

>CEH

Don't you mean CISSP?

Gotta put on my Randomwear shirt too

Seriously, I'm an infosec consultant and I've met the dumbest fuckers in the world at multiple Fortune 1000 companies who are Senior+ "Security Analysts" making 100k+ but they couldn't run ifconfig/ipconfig without searching stack overflow first.

I've done business with Fortune 10 companies where I've had to walk their Principal Tech Lead on their internal Security Team through setting a static IP in Ubuntu. I've worked with defense contracting teams that charge the US taxpayer $1000/hr where they have 20 year old interns running Nexpose and saying it is an "source code review." It's a fucking joke, man.

>Don't blame me when they fire your ass in 5 years though once they realize they can outsource your trivial job to India.

Job security is a myth anyway.

As long as you don't get fired, you will get hired elsewhere.

No, CISSP is too expensive and requires actual infosec experience to get. Just get the CEH and fuck it. The skills gap is so bad that employers will take anyone with a pulse and a security-related cert. It's lol status.

But having a CISSP will actually hurt you if you apply to any legit security group. CISSPs are the clownshoes of the industry and the entire reason for the bubble in the first place.

>As long as you don't get fired, you will get hired elsewhere.

Tell that to all the MSCE people who went from making $120k to sitting in the unemployment line after the 1999 crash

CCNP here who starting looking into taking the written. did you cheat like everyone else does in the CCIE? ive seen the "guaranteed pass" bootcamps and read stories

If you can bridge the gap between software developer and sysadmin you will literally have project managers pulling money out of every orifice to try and get you on their team.

>5 years programmer
>7 years sysadmin

What skills would someone definitely need to know to break into a sysadmin role? What would a worthy project (like hosting people websites or something) be to show to employers?

go be a programmer

The need for system admins are dropping like a rock. The cloud has made managing computing resources trivially easy, and developers are more and more becoming responsible for managing the deployment and management of their apps instead of dedicated IT monkeys.

I've done business with Fortune 10 companies where I've had to walk their Principal Tech Lead on their internal Security Team through setting a static IP in Ubuntu

I am almost 95% sure you are describing my boss.

guide me...step by step.

I see what you did there.
And I agree completely. Becoming him is bad because not only he's a big weeb, he also has shit taste for curtains.

whos gonna setup that BGP with Azure?

The developer. Cloud tools are getting easier and easier to use.

how sway?

Well fuck guys. I'm a junior in university, majoring in Information Systems. What is my best course of action? I was planning on going sysadmin then into InfoSec. Everyone here is shitting on both though. What do?

good luck finding any devoloper that understands anything about routing protocols.
the correct answer would be you just pay a consultant or amazon/MS to do it once.

I recommend machine learning. If you are too dumb for that then just be a generic web developer.

Are you niggers serious?

What about the Security+? I already paid for it and I'm reading through the book.

I at least know what ifconfig is without searching Google.

I can't get the CISSP because too expensive and lack 5 years experience. Not sure if I even want it because of all the CISSP jokes I've heard. I can't get the CEH (possibly) because:

>need to pay $100 more for self-study evaluation
>need 2 years exp
>if lacking 2 years exp, send a detailed request with educational background
>reviewed on a case by case basis

I mean maybe they'll review my background and see that I have some experience, a 2 year degree and the sec+ later and approve my self-study case.

Maybe I can become a SOC monkey at Big Blue, Dell, or Verizon.

cool, in the cs and been doing lots of sysadmin stuff on my own, in lieu of actually putting shit on github or whatever.

would also like a bit more info like the other user said.

is this what devops is? or is there something else i should be looking at?

It will be done automatically. These days, there are cloud platforms where resources are scaled automatically, routing is handled automatically, and literally the only thing you have to do is write a request to response handler in whatever language you want.

How did you guy study for the CEH?

Did you just look up stuff online then do the exam?

Know any good books/online video courses for getting CEH?

>Tell that to all the MSCE people who went from making $120k to sitting in the unemployment line

If they truly deserved their MSCE, they would easily get rehired.

In real terms, they probably got soft-fired as opposed to actually getting laid off. Happens all the time in the IT field. You just gently stop getting work until you're out the door.

>What is my best course of action?

Honestly and you're not gonna like to hear this but just get a job immediately.

I got all my certs after college. A job like microcenter or the geek squad is actually more beneficial in the long run. You meet so many people that allow you to skip so many steps.

How do I get into machine learning? Not sure my University has any classes on that. Is that something I'd just have to study on my own?

the thing with the prior tech bubble is a lot of people made serious dough and then left for other pursuits

if techies are smart and frugal, and most of them are, they have already squirreled away thousands and thousands in saving, and when the next bubble bursts, they will also declare unemployment but still live well

It's not something you can just study on your own. You will need to do research and publish papers if you want to get taken seriously. Your PhD should focus on some aspect of it.

>tfw can't squirrel away jew gold because not making jew gold

Are Offensive Security certifications a meme?

all certs are a meme.

If people like you, you get hired.

>if people like you
You didn't mention anything about qualifications in there though

qualifications are a meme. Being liked is a function of how good of a liar you are.

This guy knows the score.

If you can't code, you're dead and you just don't know it yet.

If you can code, but you aren't burrowed like a tick into a critical line-of-business workflow, you're probably still dead, but you'll be around longer than the first guy.

t. sysadmin who is eating ramen and banking 40% of his paycheck and plotting his next career

My 3 years in IT
1st job / 3 months- Helpdesk for ISP - 9.00 $ per hour
2nd job / 12 months - Network Tech for business: 20$ per hour
3rd job / 6 months - Computer tech for a school: 23$ per hour
4th job / 6 months - Network Engineer for school district :28$ per hour
5th and current job for 8 months - Network Engineer for startup MSP- 36$ per hour

Nothing too crazy, but money is ezpz competing with you autists who are too good for certs. I plan on quitting after I hit 12 months.

>having a CISSP will actually hurt you if you apply to any legit security group
please explain, I still don't get why could be less productive than CEH

>It will be done unsecurely.
FTFW ;^)
t. experienced Unix guy who worked on both sides of the fence (syadmin and developer).

You're literally admitting that someone is still sysadmining, just on the cloud level. So what does that mean, chief? It means fucking adapt.

>all the computers/systems/phones are just going to connect to the cloud automatically. programmers will code it
everyone gonna tether off their phones? someones gonna manage that network

not that guy but those are 2 different directions. you can either decide if you want to do offensive or defensive, or you can mix and match. either way if you arent having to decline job offers you are doing it wrong. and getting a degree from a school that actually has a good program is the best way

>but what do you mean, I heard that AWS and docker was secure!

Having this discussion with a startup after they got their shit pushed in by a couple script kiddies was hilarious.

Having a couple of IT monkeys around isn't going to prevent Pajeet's CSRF vulnerabilities.

These all contracts or what?

soundcloud.com/vagidictoris/kanyeflp-is-fine

JFC.

That is NOT fucking entry level shit right there. That's at least a Tier II level position. Fuck these people so hard. I would fucking bomb them if I could.

Fuck you NSA

Jesus...I do like 3-4 of those things and i get the same pay per hour...and i live in Mississippi

200K will get you an ex council house in UK

Say I really need the money and will take the first decent job even if non IT related if it pays well enough. Is this gonna hurt me in the future when I apply to a tech job?

what kind of sysadmin stuff on your own? Do you have a lab or something?

every job that does not require you to talk to real people is a good job

seriously, as soon as people who have no clue about a subject are allowed to talk shit is bound to hit the fan

>tfw I'm this and all I get is this boring devops job paid shit tons of monies for basically setting shit up and maintaining tool chains
It's a heh kind of feel

Not if Trump wins.

That's a joke. And it flew over all your heads.
Even if that is a real job ad, you could probably still apply with a few of those things, HR doesn't know shit.

>voting has any bearing on policy
>states aren't corporate puppets
We're not in Kansas anymore.

Poe's law.

I've seen ads literally worse.
Like asking for amounts of experience that are physically impossible for entry level jobs.

>10 years prior experience working with Windows 10