USB 3.0 has retroactively been renamed "USB 3.1 Gen 1"

>USB 3.0 has retroactively been renamed "USB 3.1 Gen 1"
>USB 3.1 has retroactively been renamed "USB 3.1 Gen 2"

Why are these idiots allowed to do this? Just fucking call the cables "USB 3 - A/B/C" and label the ports 2.0/3.0/3.1.

Other urls found in this thread:

geek.com/news/usb-forum-manages-to-confuse-everyone-552910/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

SATA 2, 3
SATA II III
SATA 300 600

SATA 3gbps 6gbps

i see it referred to this so often

>universal
>comes in countless shapes and sizes

BTW when is the next sata coming out?

this

usb is a clusterfuck

What's the difference between all of them anyway?

essential planned obsolescence and the adoption of intel's MO.
"A socket change a year keeps the goyim in fear!"

not for a long time user

Never, we are using direct PCI-E lanes now.

>countless
>USB, mini USB, micro USB
>each easily distinguishable

>USB Type-A SuperSpeed
>USB Type-B SuperSpeed
>USB Mini-A
>USB Mini-B
>USB Micro-A
>USB Micro-B
>USB Micro-B SuperSpeed
>USB Type-A
>USB Type-B
>USB Type-C

Did I miss any? Like seriously """"UNIVERSAL"""" my ass.

>each easily distinguishable

easily distinguishable =/= universal

And those are actually all the connectors I use daily!

>However clear this may seem to the consumer, the USB Forum decided that things had to change. Customers had started to view USB 1.1 as inferior to USB 2.0 due to the slower speeds it is capable of, and so they wanted machines with the faster version. This did not make sense to the USB Forum, so in December of last year it decided to rename USB 1.1 USB 2.0 while keeping the faster USB 2.0 with the same name. The only difference in naming between the two would now be that the slower format would have the tag “Full Speed,” while the faster format would have the tag “Hi-Speed.”
>geek.com/news/usb-forum-manages-to-confuse-everyone-552910/

They're a bunch of fucking trolls

Exactly the same with USB 3.0/3.1

Manufacturers got mad because they had so many USB 3.0 motherboard or machines in stock and didn't want them to seem slower USB wise then USB 3.1, so it's more profitable to fool your customers.

It's as easy as that, it was the same back then.

Why did it take the best part of 20 years to make a connector that wasn't a dumpster fire?

So that Dell could save 1 cent on each computer sold.

because the priority was making the connector cheaper by cents or fractions thereof rather than making it durable, then Apple upped the ante and showed it wasn't rocket science to have a connector that fits both ways, the USB IF got embarrassed (and outclassed) and then decided to make one.

unfortunately, the regs on USB C cables have been iffy and there have been plenty of them that can be dangerous to devices.

> Implying C isn't a dumpster fire.

Got any links on the durability of USB-C cables? Especially when used as a replacement for audio jacks. (I consider the out-of-spec cables frying laptops thing a separate issue.)

USB is a meme, thunderbolt has PCIE 3 speeds, Lightning is god tier, both open source, why hasn't the world made the switch?

>open source
That's why, people would lose money.

>BTW when is the next sata coming out?

hopefully never. 6gb is more than enough for spinning rust, and PCIe/NVMe is the clear choice for solid state.

SATA Express tried to bundle a faster SATA line set with 2 lanes of PCIe, but the industry said fuck that slow shit, we need 4 lanes of PCIe, hence m.2 and u.2 took over in their particular segments.

i was mainly talking about cheap cables taking non-obvious shorcuts. I have no sources on connector durability

C is more fragile than a standard microUSB

Are they even referring to the connector with "universal"?

in what regard?

aren't they both rated to ~10k insertion cycles and to have similar mechanical strength ratings?

No, but the whole idea of USB was to have one "bus" for everything, yes, you still have that one protocol, but the idea is lost while having clusterfuck of connectors.

everything is fragile when built out of spec

>clusterfuck of connectors.
Four connectors over twenty years is a clusterfuck?

>four
Kek

USB B and USB A.
Mini-A, Mini-AB, Mini-B.
Micro USB A and Micro USB B.

Then you have Type-A, Type-B, and Micro-B superspeed (which retain compatibility with the non-superspeed versions of those but the cables have additional pins and the receptacle is larger).

And now USB Type C.

That puts the total number of connectors up to 2 (regular USB) + 3 (mini USB) + 2 (micro USB) = 7 + 3 superspeed USB = 10 + Type C = 11. That's just ones that were released and at one point standardized by the USB-IF, and not countless other proprietary USB outs.

Eh, now when you happen to have a new external hard drive and an old one, digital camera, printer, mobile phone, maybe another newer phone in the family, a card reader then you already need 7 different cables for all of them!

>they had so many USB 3.0 motherboard

Not really. USB 3.0 is still scarce usually with only 2~4 ports and a fuckton of USB 2.0 ports. 12mb/s USB 1.1 is aids though, of course everyone wanted to avoid that shit.

People don't want to pay money for copper

>Not really. USB 3.0 is still scarce usually with only 2~4 ports and a fuckton of USB 2.0 ports.

Exactly the point, who would want a few 3.0 ports if there are board with almost all 3.1 ports?

>12mb/s USB 1.1 is aids though, of course everyone wanted to avoid that shit.

At the time there wasn't even much to take advantage of USB 2.0 speeds, only professional photographs and media editing personnel gave a fuck and most of them used FireWire back then.

1.1 was great to replace many of the things in use back then. Many peripherals only support 1.1 still.

I bet 1.1 will still live along USB 3.1 + Type C, while classic 3.0 will fade out, then 2.0.

Check

You really don't get it, do you? There is NO 3.0 anymore.

why did i call it classic 3.0
if it wasn't obvious what i meant, you are a retard
kys

2/3th of the ports will be 3.1 slow and 1/3 will be 3.1 fast.

USB A -> B
USB A -> mini B
USB A -> micro B
USB 3.0 A -> 3.0 B
USB 3.0 A -> 3.0 micro B
USB C -> USB C
USB C -> 3.0 micro B (or C to A adapter)

The horror. Back in my day each device had it's own unique cable.

>if there are board with almost all 3.1 ports

citation needed

>At the time there wasn't even much to take advantage of USB 2.0 speeds, only professional photographs and media editing personnel gave a fuck and most of them used FireWire back then.

People did care otherwise parallel ports wouldn't have lived so long:

>USB 1.1 -> 1.75MB/s
>Parallel Port -> 2MB/s

yes, gaming printers were still coming for parallel

its very slow moving because it requires everyone to be on board it.
Plus of course endless proposals, meetings, conferences.

>Parallel Port -> 2MB/s
Even if it was faster, that port sucked so much dick OP's mom was jealous.
Giving up a bit of speed to have much more convenience made sense for lots of consumers.

A-B:
>old external drive
>printer

A-microB:
>new hard drive
>digital camera
>mobile phone
>newer phone

Card reader probably has its own A connector.

At most, you might need another mini-B instead of a micro-B. You definitely don't need 7 different ones.

>ooh I'll get this $0.94 USB cable over this $0.97 one
>god damn it, why are USB cables so fragile

Maybe we can finally get rid of USB cables that only seem to have one purpose now..

I'm looking at you USB type B aka printer cable
I have no idea why these were allowed to exist.

Enjoy your broken off and bent connectors

Apple already made the best connector

It was supposed to be THE standard, not just for printers.

But device makers (naturally) want something smaller.
So yeah, they fucked up....and they fucked up again with mini-B which broke too easily.

hahahaha

Nice meme, care to explain what's wong with the design other than it was made by Apple?

He thinks the connector breaks easily.

But that's not true at all: it breaks at the cable.

i hope nobody's stupid enough to conflate the connector and the sheathing when debating between standards.

>USB 3.0 has retroactively been renamed "USB 3.1 Gen 1"
That makes no sense at all.

>lightning
>"open source"
>have to pay royalties to applel

Not him but the connector itself wears down over time as well. It's at best as fragile as the micro USB connector is.

But that's OK because it's designed like that. I'd rather replace the cable than the port on the phone.

So what's the actual USB 3? If the USB 3 was renamed into USB 3.1?

Does USB 3 not exist anymore?

I thought the whole point of 3.1 and Type-C was we finally get rid of Type-A and Type-B connectors once and for all, and use Type-C for everything. Weren't we supposed to have Displayport over USB Type-C also? I haven't heard anything about that since they announced it.

I have several magsafes that did this shit. Fucking electrical tape for the god damn win.
You'd think an $1800 laptop would come with a power cord that isn't absolute shit.

goddamn that's fucking retarded

Triggered.

Why aren't there any Lightning cables with proper strain relief?

names are whatever the general populous calls something. "Official" names dont matter

Is that the original xbox?

>in December of last year it decided to rename USB 1.1 USB 2.0 while keeping the faster USB 2.0 with the same name. The only difference in naming between the two would now be that the slower format would have the tag “Full Speed,” while the faster format would have the tag “Hi-Speed.”
Jesus christ.

>Why aren't there any Lightning cables with proper strain relief?
The Anker Powerline stuff has seemed better than Monoprice, Apple, and others thus far (in my experience).

>work for the USB-IF
>jerking off all year long, shit posting on Sup Forums and generally doing nothing
>boss swings by the desk
>Hey, user. Intel said we need to send them our years work for the up coming forum.
>ohshitohshitohshit
>Make entire presentation about renaming old shit with new retarded names
>clock off at 3:45pm

And he're we are...

>12mb/s USB 1.1 shit
Really? Next you're going to tell us you need a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed keyboard to keep up with your 13mb/s typing speed... retard.

>Really? Next you're going to tell us you need a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed keyboard to keep up with your 13mb/s typing speed... retard.
I might, if I want to play video with sound through my keyboard.

>Exposed pins
No thanks.

>sound through my keyboard
This is considered desirable?

I would have thought streaming video to your keyboard was more undesirable

Also,
>he doesn't want his keyboard to play sound effects with each keypress

Streaming video to my keyboard makes sense. Everyone of my keys has an OLED screen.

>looks down at the keys while typing
back to Sup Forums

This.

I don't miss d-ports, or old printer serials, but Intel is shitting the bed changing the standards every few months to juice its licensing. Desktop CPUs aren't pulling cash like they used to, but this is getting out of hand.

>not using your keyboard as a monitor

back to last decade

No

Keyboards with built in USB hubs are a thing. Even old imacs from the late 90s/early 00s had them.

USB hubs are shit. Probably the most problematic common peripheral.

>>sound through my keyboard
>This is considered desirable?

No need to carry separate speakers
Easy access to the headphone jack
You can pretend to have a mechanical typewrite that click with each key press and dings with each ↵

Why?

there are. they're just not made by apple.

That's a big disquette

Doesn't type-c finally seeks to solve this?

Fuck USB, it's time to adopt thunderbolt 3 and free ourselves of this bullshit.

>What is FireWire
Literary underage

By today's USB logic you still need a fuckload of different cables for shit.

No. You could easily with USB 3.1 and Type-C now-a-days.

what

i'm pretty heavily invested in usb devices - my bike's lights are USB charged, which should illustrate how stupidly far USB has permeated my life - but i mostly only need micro B (and very, very rarely mini B).

i agree that it's too much, but i don't see type C fixing this problem for me in the next 5 years. for one thing, some of the devices i own are going to be with me for a while. i can run through some examples:

- getting my DSLR manufacturer to upgrade everything in its line to type C is going to be a massive undertaking, so let's imagine that my medium-high end full frame camera will get replaced with a type C port (instead of mini B) between now and when i want to get a new body. that's still probably going to be ~5 years.

i've also got a DSLR battery charger that draws power by micro B; let's assume that'll get replaced when i get the new DSLR (presumably not because the battery becomes obsolete, but just because the charger gets a type C replacement).

- my noise canceling headphones are fantastic and i have no need whatsoever for new ones. still, maybe wear and tear will cause me to replace them. maybe 3 years? maybe more?

- my bike lights are mini B but they're so low maintenance that i honestly foresee them getting lost or stolen rather than them crapping out on me. let's say ~10 years?

so maybe in 3-5 years most of my stuff will be on its way out and i can finally claim that i'm mostly free of the micro/mini carnival. i'm ignoring my laserjet printer, which uses regular old A, because that fucker is never going to die.

> exposed PCI-Express
It's cool and shit, but remember Thunderstrike? This will happen again.

Cant make cash in open source goyim

superspeed device connectors are backward compatible with non-superspeed cables

>By today's USB logic you still need a fuckload of different cables for shit.
lets see:
psp, external hdd: mini-B
phone, vapouriser: micro-B
don't have any superspeed or type-c devices

SFF-8639 is the next thing. Compatible with sata power+data connectors and houses PCIe-lanes.

apparently

>tfw usb 3 was deprecated before you even owned any usb 3 devices