You must be considerably above average IQ to be a worthwhile developer at any level (that even includes web dev)

You must be considerably above average IQ to be a worthwhile developer at any level (that even includes web dev).

You must possess a NATURAL gift for mathematics and logic.

You must have started programming during your teens at a minimum.

95% of STEM majors are not capable of ever becoming good programmers.

Basically, give up now. Doesn't apply to me because I have an IQ of 142 and I was programming Haskell at 12 years of age.

Not sure of my IQ and I've never programmed.

This post makes sense. I'm sure I'd never be much more than a dabbler in programming. It was never my thing, anyways.

This board isnt your blog OP

OP here. Almost forgot to say, pic semi related. I have a higher IQ than Charles Babbage

Ok daddy, I'll return the dress, but I'm still a trap in my mind.

>tfw you were too dumb for the entry level science classes in college but still got a webdev job

At 12 I was learning assembly and forth. Anyway, you just need to invest 10k hours to become an expert according to Malcolm Gladwell.

>I have an IQ of 142
You're too dumb to be useful but have a high enough IQ to be egotistical about it. Protip: It's a useless test and most people on Sup Forums scored higher than you.
>and I was programming Haskell at 12 years of age
Haskell isn't a real programming language. If you don't know FORTRAN and COBOL before you turn 13, it isn't impressive.

Charles Babbage was a useless retard, but I'm going to need a citation that his IQ was lower than 140.

Stop lying on the internet, OP.

Fact #1: There isn't a single type of IQ. Citation: look it up
Fact #2: Being smart is not enough to succeed, but it seems to be enough to make one egotistical about oneself.
Fact #3: Development is not hard. It's a process that with time gets easier. The challenge comes with problem solving. And judging by your post, you still haven't solved the equation of how to get out of your mother's basement.

Have fun kiddo.

Last time I measured my IQ (maybe 10 years ago), I scored 98 iirc.

I'm currently pursuing a PhD in computer science and a patch I submitted for the Linux kernel is acked and about to be included after some back and forth.

You don't need to understand more than high school math to create 99% of what is out there. You just need to be a logical thinker and have common sense. I have no idea why normies think that programmers must be smart and intelligent. Half of my office are fucking retarded that can't even fix their own basic computer issues without calling help desk, yet we develop various detection software for security cameras.

>falling for the iq meme

Huh, I always thought you had to be literally retarded to get a doctorate outside of medicine. How did you manage to do something so stupid with your IQ being so comparatively high?

>You must be considerably above average IQ to be a worthwhile developer at any level (that even includes web dev).

Nah. You only need to be slightly above average IQ. The rest is all about drive, whether that comes from curiosity (fleeting) or discipline.

Working in the industry killed my motivation and was generally unbearable. At least doing a PhD allowed me to work with cutting edge technology and concepts and dig into whatever I found interesting.

And determination. Programming can be super frustrating at the start, but you have to be determined and keep hammering at it until you win. The next time, you'll be a little faster. And so on...

Taking Comp Sci as your major just ensures you're going to get some experience with determination and positive results (by giving you slightly harder problems each time).

Oh, and is 142 really considered a high IQ? What is that, top 2%? You were born with the IQ, so.. yay, big accomplishment. It's not how smart you are, it's what you do with your life.

Is there any considerable IQ test that can be taken online?

No

IQ tests are adjusted according to the population it's taken in.

Thank god I'm gifted and I started programming seriously at 12.

>started programming at 12 because no friends and no hobbies
>"i'm gifted"

Funny, I am slowly getting bored in the industry myself - looking to get out - what is a good trajectory? what do you do after a phd?

yeah I was a super depressed child and programming kind of sucked me in - however I am ok enough looking and handsome so I always had friends, sex partners and all the other good things - jokes on you?

>what is a good trajectory?
Depends on your interests

>what do you do after a phd?
My PhD is done in collaboration with a company, so I'm pretty sure I will get a job offer from them in about a year's time. However, the research institute I'm working at is strongly into funding new doctorates' start-ups, so I might join one of the newly started ones here.

great to hear - I will look into it -

>jokes on you?
Your story is fairly similar to mine. I started programming at 12 because everyone of my friends were super interested in football (soccer), and I just didn't get it and stuck around playing with the old computer my father had given me instead.

and ...

Did IQ even exist during his time?

must be nice living a first world country.

you could be the smartest person in the world, but if you lost the life lottery, you are fucked for life.

my story went well and except for the the mind numbing stupidness of many parts of the industry I believe programming is still ok - it's a lot of power - my company basically allows me to adjust many of my working parameters, just as long as I deliver - it's like having a publisher saying, just do what you do man, and send us teh book, when it's done.

the actual tasks can mind-numbing and that's why I am looking to learn math or even pursue a second degree - deep math + street creds programming should not leave me on the streets, or should it?

this. alan kay mentions this. be feynman and born in the desert in the middle age - there goes your iq - you probably will be burnt quickly

....now I work as an embedded developer cry myself to sleep every night because of my poor life choices?

You're lucky, I have minimal say in my own working environment and my CTO is a complete Sup Forums level fucktard

What if I don't care about being a good programmer and just want to make an easy and comfortable 40k a year?

You need to be creative too.

You have to be somewhat decent, and a little lucky to earn anything at all.

I'm sorry to hear that. But it sounds like a problem of you company and not your choices. Maybe find another source of income?

Good luck, man, ain't gonna happen.

It's the same story in all of the other three companies I worked for. Software development is shit all over, especially embedded software development.

You lucked out. Cling on to your job for everything its worth user. The grass is NOT greener on the other side.

Goddamn, man. I keep your words in mind.

You might get better paid elsewhere, but unless you're willing to zone out 8 hours a day and justify it by earning an obscene amount of money and the possibility of advancing to management some point in the future, it's not worth it.

So basically I'm fucked after I get my BA in Computer Science? I just want to be a low level programmer where much isn't expected of me and I make a comfortable wage for the relatively cheap area I live in

How dare you attack Haskell you dumb shit. Just because you can't understand it with your inferior IQ score - only people who inferior IQ scores claim it to be "useless".

I recently declined a nice offer, $60000 but in europe thats ok - it would have been fun - but I stayed for less at my company, negotiating a raise and basically enjoy working with a lot of autonomy and many things still to do. planning to finally implement 1-2 side projects and do cosulting gigs to diversify skills and all. Excited and a bit anxious where this all goes.

I have an IQ of 69 and started jerking off when I was 11

>$60000 but in europe thats ok
Not really. I make $54k as a PhD student in Norway, whereas my old salary when I was still in the industry was around $85k.

Do you have a master's degree?

Best bet would in that case would be to get into a large traditonal corp take on responsibility for a maintancen project and stay with it the next 40 years fixing small bugs every day then go home.

Brrr...

I live further south :) plus it was in a cheaper city - could get by with flat+transport+eating $1000, while netting $2500 or so.

I do not have a Masters, but I plan to get one in about two years. Will keep your number in mind :)

$85k in what industry?

Well, the cost of living here, at least in Oslo, is bordering the same ridiculousness as San Fransisco.... but the demand for skilled software developers is just increasing as nobody wants to do a STEM degree here. A master's degree is pretty much a must though.

I encourage you to come here and work, we need all the developers and engineers working outside the doomed oil industry as we can get.

Thanks man, definitely encourages me to finish my degree faster.

All of them? I made that amount both as an embedded developer in a company that made network and IPTV monitoring probes AND when I worked at a company that made a web-based Digital Asset Management solution (fancy term for sorting images by metadata).

72 iq here. What am I doing here? Then again, I was able to install GNU/Linux Gentoo.

Do you still use that system?

Allright, yeah, I mean, yes, I see. My uncle worked for a large global corp in my country in one of the most expensive cities, he had extra deals with the company and lived through at least 4 rounds of layoffs. He made about $95k, not more. Lived in a cheap apartment most of his life, too. Just saying, money is crazy.

My various plans include some earning estimations and the absolute max I can see for me now is something between 100k-150k, that is possible to earn without playing powerball.

Honest question: how are you guys making so little money? I don't mean to be rude, but I'm just a devops-y sysadmin and I don't show up for less than 80k per year, and I have no degree...

I believe it depends on where you live and your industry.

In the bay area $80k is nothing.

1) Cost of living is different. 80k is a lot of money in South Sudan. 80k is nothing in Bay Area.

2) The USD is ridiculously strong these days. In 2013 1 USD was 6.2 NOKs, for example. In may this year, it was 9.1 NOKs.

I have an IQ lower than the age I started fucking your mom

t. nigger

So how come you can command that much? Are you especially good at something? Puppet, chef, AWS, GCE? Anything hot, that's low supply and high demand?

High IQ? You're just parroting other peoples work. Get off of your fucking pedestal.

>born with a top 1% iq
>dedicated your life to shitposting on Sup Forums