Linux considered harmful

ucrtoday.ucr.edu/39030
>The UCR researchers didn’t rely on chance, though. Instead, they identified a subtle flaw (in the form of ‘side channels’) in the Linux software that enables attackers to infer the TCP sequence numbers associated with a particular connection with no more information than the IP address of the communicating parties. This means that given any two arbitrary machines on the internet, a remote blind attacker, without being able to eavesdrop on the communication, can track users’ online activity, terminate connections with others and inject false material into their communications.

Freetards blown the fuck out yet again. Face it, if you want a secure system, you need to rely on a professional solution such as macOS. You just can't build a business on some hobbyist OS.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cool now it can get patched

Wtf I hate linux now

Reminder that under apple or microsoft you probably wouldn't find out about it till months after they ignored it or failed to patch it.

good luck trying to patch the kernel on millions of android devices that don't get any updates because the manufacturer dropped support

>secure
>professional solution
>macOS
He seriously wants to build a business using macOS.

I've found that if you're not being spied on by the US government you're being spied on by something worse. It's comfy and secure in my botnet.

>mfw freetards would sooner trust the Chinese or Russians than the Americans
Probably because they actually think communism works.

So that's the kernel's fault, and not the manufacturer? B8 harder you fucking pleb.

explain in detail how you would exploit this flaw, against whom and what you would stand to gain from it

That's a problem with the Android service model, not with the Linux kernel itself. Any complex piece of software is likely to have flaws, and open-source actually helps in this regard by increasing the number of people who can search for flaws. But not providing updates is just a bad idea, regardless of open- or closed-source.

This is some really shitty bait senpai

Communism does work. Russia is one of the few countries with the technology to put people into orbit (capitalist America isn't in that group).

>Sup Forums actually trusts this person

I'm sorry, I don't see your flag on the moon. It's the most important achievement and the one that only mattered.

You can't get to the moon anymore, though. You can't even get it into orbit. That's like saying you "won" a race because you were in the lead at one point, even though you didn't actually come in first at the finish line.

Moon landing was just a meme anyway, it was of relatively little scientific value that couldn't be done with robots (which is what the Russians decided to do from the start).

But everyone on the ISS right now got there on Russian spacecraft.

if Linux is so good why doesn't Bill Gates use it?

There's no need to be upset. I'm willing to share my secret with you (and the US government of course).
Step into my office, we can talk about how you can get your operating system to work for you, rather than force you to work on it every day.
You see, in a proper society the menial labor is done for you by lesser people paid to do so. Why waste your time doing it when some Indian who will make less in his entire life than we can make in a year could do it instead?
By exploiting the subhumans on the subcontinent of India the effort of maintaining an operating system and kernal is done entirely for you, at the nominal price of $26.20.

Why should American resources be wasted on the boondoggle that is space when we could perfect the instant cheeseburger and make trillions?

The moon landing is one of the most important events in the history of the world. Up there with the founding of america

Except for all the supplies that are sent to the ISS, transported by American shuttles.

>we can talk about how you can get your operating system to work for you, rather than force you to work on it every day
>Windows users STILL believe this

>S-Shut u-up I e-enjoy t-tuning my xorg.conf, it's part of the Linux experience!

you use third world labor, you get third world quality

superior GNU/Linux systems are built upon the collaborative effort of highly educated westerners creating software for their own elevated and highly demanding needs

but of course, I guess if you have the lack of resourcefulness and learning capacity of the average Indian code monkey, as well as the same low standards ,then their subpar software should fit you

If you run a Linux desktop, chances are you don't have a job and you never will have a job, and it can't even play your animes without dropping frames or tearing

>I literally don't know what I'm talking about, but I'll spout some memes and pretend that I do

I don't use Android so I don't fucking care what happens to Android.

It's okay my man, enjoy the buggy and slow pile of shit that is the mesa libgl while you post on Sup Forums about how -O9999 really sped up your Gentoo system.

I don't deny facts. It's hardly a matter of belief when the truth is laid bare for all to see.

A superior system for the sake of a superior system when a simpler, cheaper, and easier one will do is inefficient. If that's necessary to stroke your ego and keep morale up then do so by all means, but maintain your system on your own time, and keep Windows ready to dual boot in case something goes wrong while you're working.

>Why should American resources be wasted on the boondoggle that is space when we could perfect the instant cheeseburger and make trillions?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes

It's important mainly for its media/propaganda value. Much of space exploration gets far less fanfare, but leads to just as much scientific knowledge.

The Russians can do that too. But Russia is the ONLY one that can actually transport people there and back.

>getting cucked by the botnet is easy, therefore it's a good thing

There he goes, doing it again

>Windows
>Simple

Nah man, it's okay, keep believing the memes about having to fix your xorg.conf every day
>I-i swear I don't deny facts

what's inefficient is to use products that aren't adequate for your personal needs.

you wouldn't want to cross the oceans on a shitty leaky boat now would you? but I'm sure you could coast about in it just as long as you make frequent stops.

windows is very much like the leaky boat; adequate to those who are scared of the high sea anyway.

>Up there with the founding of america
Thanks for the kek

We did reach the allegorical grapes though. We even reached them first. It was sort of a big deal. When we tasted them for ourselves we realized that they were not worthwhile. Not to say the grapes were bad, simply not good enough.

It's terribly simple. Children all around the world can use it effectively with little to no training.

I'm not a simpleton, user. Do you think Linux was not a consideration? The problem is if Linux wastes even a minute of my time every other day over the course of a year that wastes much more money than the cost of Windows, which wastes none of my time. Simple financial planning.

It is perfectly adequate though. The leaky boat you speak of is perfectly sound, the pumps will keep it running until it can be disposed of and replaced. In the long run it's more efficient. Think smarter, not harder.

You all do know there's nothing wrong with having a hobby, right? It's a little silly yours is an operating system but that's ok. To each their own. I simple ask that you please refrain from pretending it's optimal or even viable for most people, especially in a professional environment. Tata~.

pls

Yeah, Russia was one of the few countries which also enjoyed putting people in mass graves and/by starving them out. And that was not so long before they started to put people in orbit. And yeah, capitalist countries countries really aren't in that group you idiot.

>anime images
>bait this advanced
I want to marry you.

>It's terribly simple. Children all around the world can use it effectively with little to no training.
simple interface != simple "under the hood"

If Russia is as backwards as you say, why do Americans ride Russian spacecraft? Surely American industry could develop something better for that task than something made by a country that can't even feed its people?

The NT kernel is magnitudes smaller than the Linux kernel.
Windows is simpler, both interface-wise and kernelbloat-wise.

If Russia if so forwards as you say, why can't Russia build their own cars, instead of buying them from filthy capitalist Europe?

Then why does Windows 7 need 25GB? Maybe the kernel is small, but the rest of the OS is horrendously bloated.

At least Europe has an auto industry, unlike America.

cool, someone forward this shit to linus so we can have it patched

>Linus
he's not the point of contact for security issues, and it has already been reported and fixed.

No one gives a fuck about android it's a load of garbage. People cope with Android but I'm sure most would rather use something else.

good.

Why can't we all be cute girls like that?

because you can never be as perfect as 2d

I get what you're saying. I love using Arch, but I would gladly pay for a similar OS that offers the same level of customization and control while still giving me the peace of mind that comes with using an OS supported by a reputable company.

Unfortunately I have to choose between control and peace of mind. In the end control wins.

Any Linux variant can give you the same level of customization and control. Buy a support package from Red Hat or Canonical or SuSe.

GNU/Linux OSes are far less functional than the "third world" quality you label Windows and the ilk.

>A1: If someone rapes my wife is terrible and i'll never forgive her but if she cheats on me is not that bad and i can forgive that, all woman are the same after all!, you must be a kissless virgin if you seriously think there's woman out there that doesn't do it.
>A2: I have a girlfriend who is nice and doesn't have a record on cheating.
>A1: That ugly girl you have doesn't counts as a girlfriend, she's ugly as fuck and doesn't even wears make up.
>A2: That's your opinion man, also it's not true that she doesn't wears make up, here's a photo.
>A1: I-i don't like how she wears it!, it's practically the same as not wearing any!. Enjoy your ugly pig, cuck.

t. every wincuck in every thread.