> Have shitty old netbook, replace HDD
> Fresh install of Win 7-32bit
> "No wireless drivers m8"
> Go to samsung website on my PC
> None of the driver packages execute properly
> Pull my hair out trying loads of them

> Install Linux Mint
> "Here are your drivers senpai, ready and working"

How is this shit possible? How did Win 7 miss such a basic thing? Why are Samsung offering up broken / non-installing drivers? Why did mint "just werk?"

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
i3wm.org/
ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/stable/
github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mint handles trackpoint-scrolling *way* better than Windows 10 on my ThinkPad X200s. It also wakes up faster while Windows sometimes doesn't wake up at all for some reason. I really wish Mint wasn't as bloated and would allow for a custom installation where you can select packages manually. Oh, and I'd much rather have OpenBox or some other light-weight WM instead of full-blown Desktops.

>he fell for the Linux mint meme
It fucked up my laptop pretty bad, but regular Ubuntu managed to run just fine.

Why would any sane person choose mint over Ubuntu or Debian?

isnt the mint site almost constantly compromised?

>tfw you fell for the debian meme

R E K T

Last time I checked, which was a long time ago, Ubuntu was a meme distro and nothing worked. Thought I would give mint a go and it was fine.

Getting curious about Ubuntu now. Its been about 10 years since I last installed it.

Ubuntu always worked great for me, I dropped 8.10 though after discovering my games wouldn't run, but now I'm running Ubuntu mate 16.04 and it's running flawlessly on my d2500 atom.

Mint was noticeably more sluggish, even on mate instead of cinnamon and it was pretty buggy, I tried mint 17.1 though, not sure about 18.

You got lucky. Mint didn't have drivers for mine. I had to connect via ethernet in order to download them.

Well Linux drivers get updated while Windows drivers are from 2005-06 with a new GUI

>People still falling for this Meme-Pasta
KEK

how the fuck does mint not have wifi drivers? i dont give a shit about mint or use it. I am on windows. But I know damn well it literally ha slike %95 of them lol

It didn't on my Samsung laptop, but Ubuntu 15.10 did.

Mint is an outdated piece of shit

mfw Debian doesn't have wireless driver after being installed.

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

Running mint and lubuntu on my aspire 5560g. For some reason lubuntu works great for browsing and all the graphics seem smooth where as mint doesn't. It's almost as if it's missing a driver but nothing shows up in the driver tab on either lubuntu or mint and yet it just works better on lubuntu.

Any clues?

That's just mint.
Mint with mate ran more sluggish and used more cpu% than Ubuntu mate did on my old d2500 netbook.

Even windows runs better than mint. I have a feeling the hardware is not being used at its potential.

So if i installed cinnamon on lubuntu, it should be faster, no?

Faster than mint, but not faster than lxde.

Have you tried lxqt? It looks nicer than lxde imo

Samsung cock sucking in supporting there devices. I got a samsung

Debian minimal installation. with no DE. just install i3 windows manager on top.

Nah, I'm using xfce right now. The start menu is dreadful though but lxqt looks good. I need to uninstall the 5 other de's I've tried first haha

i3wm.org/

Did you try finding the hardware device ID in the device manager and then using pcidatabase to lookup your wireless card and then searching the manufacturer website for drivers?

I usually just extract the .exe and point the device manager directly to the driver folder.

I know that feel op been trying to install Windows 7 with proper drivers for a dell laptop I am going to be using for Uni. After several days of shit luck with all the drivers I have given up and am going to be installing Fedora for actual use.

I have always been able to use the generic manufacturer drivers for various laptops. Forget the dell website or those shitty driver sites. Figure out what parts are in your computer and go to the manufacturer.

Other Reason is because I am going to Uni soon for Computer Science (inb4 cs maymay) and when I sat down and talked with my main instructor He told me we would be using mostly Fedora 23 & Red Hat. So I Figured might as well dive straight in.

Sydney uni? We used Fedora there

Unfortunately No Tech School In the Midwest of the USA

Go to bed Randy

You are fucking retarded, there are plenty.

No I meant I am going to a tech school in the midwest sorry for poor grammer & word choice

Well Fedora is a nice distro.
Currently using it with mate and only issue I have is midori not loading YouTube videos.

Opera works great though, at the cost of much more ram usage

What problems did you even have with Debian? I bet they were trivial.

Net install

Install whisker menu, you'll love it

>Win 7-32bit
>32bit

There's your problem

>Why would any sane person choose mint over Ubuntu or Debian?

Because saying the name doesn't make you a tool.

>falling for the most unsecure meme distro

kys

windows 7 is very old.
Ubuntu 8.04 didn't have wireless drivers for many laptops either.
I don't know why Sup Forums loves windows 7 as if it was some sort glory days for microsoft.

Windows 7 has poor driver support.
Practically nothing on my 2013 laptop works out of the box.

>Why would any sane person choose mint over Ubuntu or Debian?
LMDE exists. But mostly because Cinnamon is one of the few sane desktop environments.

just install debian

I haven't tried cinnamon. Why would you say it is worth using?

It's similar to windows, but better.

Why would any sane person choose mint over arch?

What makes it better than mate, lxqt, or budgie?

>they do not care about copyright and license issues

How is that a bad thing?

How isn't it?

Really good response tripfag. I'm more persuaded by your "this is meme-pasta" argument versus an actual page of arguments.

(Fuck off)

You should be considering they can't even make any arguments themselves and just spam copy-pasta instead.

Saying "they just spam copy-pasta" still doesn't rebut any of the points it makes. If you're so confident, then make a copy-pasta reply that debunks all its points. Otherwise fuck off (or do anyway, tripfag).

Why would any sane person choose Ubuntu or Debian over Arch Linux?
:^)

They just post it, and if it gets rebutted, they simply don't care and post it again next thread too, then next thread, then the next one, then the next one . . .

That's just retarded. The point is that people rebut this shit all the time, but the poster doesn't care cause they just spam the copy-pasta and move on. Contributing to the spam won't fix anything. You're better off just laughing at anyone that tries to argue with parroted meme-pastas.

So much effort spreading FUD instead of doing actual contributions. That's why we can't have nice things.

Not that user, but:
Active corners
How windows and virtual desktops are managed
It can be bastardized to a certain degree

>sane person
>arch

Pick one

You can install cinnamon on both debian and ubuntu

Debian is still using version 2.2 and ubuntu cinnamon crashes with nouveau drivers

But you can

cubuntu.fr

what is backports...

Sounds like you haven't tried the other DEs

migrating from windows, trying to decide between ubuntu and mint, could you explain why this isn't accurate?

Just use Ubuntu, trust me. Mint is more hassle than it's worth.

I tried 17.3 and it was a buggy mess on my laptop.
Worst part was that even though it used less ram than Ubuntu, it somehow managed to perform worse in regular use like web browsing and shit

Just installed Mint 17.3 Cinnamon a week ago on my 2010 HP g72 laptop. No regrets, Win7 always ran like shit on it even when it was new. It overheated all the time, took 5 minutes to recognize USB devices, constant instability, etc. Everything works fine on Mint with none of the issues I had with Win7, the superior font rendering alone was reason enough to switch.

>I tried 17.3 and it was a buggy mess on my laptop
> installed Mint 17.3 Cinnamon a week ago on my 2010 HP g72 laptop. No regrets
What?

different people with different outcomes that differed what they feel about mint

The guy that installed 17.3 a week ago is a liar.
Mint 18 has been out for a while now

All of the previous versions are still available for download. 18 isn't stable yet so I went with 17.3, this is my first time using linux.
>ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/stable/

Lol, okay buddy.
Enjoy using Linux mint "stable"

17.3 was so bad the wallpaper would reset to the default Linux mint wallpaper at least once a week

Mint is just better for the user. Cinnamon is especially good for people migrating from Windows since you will feel right at home with it.

Now, I am not going to waste time going over each of those items since they really won't matter to you, but I will touch on the one that will.

The image is bitching about how some of the ISOs come with codecs and shit. It's clear they are just bitching and moaning because their distro of choice doesn't do it. But the truth is, it just makes shit easier for you. You music and video files are more likely to just work because of it, rather than you having to try to fight with it, and figure out why they aren't playing.

What's more is that it was never an issue anyway because you could just choose to download the ISO without the codecs if you really cared.

So basically the entire image is a hit piece by someone that hates Mint but never actually took the time to look into it for real.

>not using the default wallpapers or bliss
People do this?

Werks on my machine™ :^)

t. Someone who doesn't use mint

Yep

explain this though

I dual boot Windows and Mint, so eat a dick.

>recommends the worst distro, full of security holes and broken packages
>tripfag

You're pure cancer.

Feb 20th, 2016.

>always do the opposite of what g says

Works on my machine.

>How did Win 7 miss such a basic thing?
Why would you ever use Windows built in drivers anyway?
The issue here is Samsung being retarded with their driver packages, not with Windows.

Why do people feel the need to lie on an anonymous image board?

>I don't know why Sup Forums loves windows 7 as if it was some sort glory days for microsoft.
More like it was the last time they shipped something that was not horrible.
Their glory days were way before 7.

>replace HDD
>doesn't backup drivers
welp

XP was their Glory days. 7 was just the first replacement that they offered that wasn't complete garbage. 98, XP, and 7 were surrounded by tons of crap.

what are you on about?

I got stuck using mint for about four months. I was busy, didn't have an external HDD, and already had partitioned my drive to shit. then windows died and somehow took down debian with it. I had a mint cd from when I was showing my brother some loonix basics, told him to learn what he needs and then take the training wheels off, and gave him a list of good distros, like arch and debian.

Like what I remembered from way long before, mint os is never goddamned stable. It accrues weird errors like oem windows installs do—randomly deciding the program association audio files is, and will always be, banshee, even if it is not installed and if you write over the association; breaking the interface by making transparencies show up with weird pixels; randomly uninstalling graphics drivers; some apps settings getting forever stuck, regardless of uninstalling, purging, and painstakingly manually checking dependencies; weird-ass network errors that appear and disappear; and so on—and they always happen after it updates. As a matter of fact, it reminds me of ubuntu spin-off distros.

But it werks, though only barely. It's like you're hitchhiking and a shiny car pulls up, you get in, but halfway to the next city it's sputtering and hiccoughing so bad it's making you reevaluate your life choices.

>people recommending Linux mint ITT
>an OS using an outdated kernel and outdated drivers to emulate stability, but still manages to be a buggy mess.

There is no reason to use anything but Ubuntu or Fedora with your choice of DE.

>he is too dumb to use windows
Windows is the most easiest os installation known to man and you manage to fuck it up

>there are people ITT recommending Linux mint 17.3
Always do the opposite of what g says.

>most easiest

I think that was on purpose

Look, Mint is Ubuntu. They are the same. Consider Mint the Cinnamon spin of Ubuntu. Mint is a Ubuntu that just has a well-integrated Cinnamon as the desktop environment and some particular programs made by the Mint team. The selection of packages installed by default and the default settings vary between Mint and Ubuntu as well, but remember those are just defaults, you are supposed to change them to your liking. End of the story.

Regarding the picture you asked about:
>First
Mint is Ubuntu. Mint's CVEs are Ubuntu's.
>Secondly
Mint is Ubuntu, but Ubuntu with an additional repository for the core Mint shit, like Cinnamon, Nemo, Mint-made programs and some other common software. Software in this Mint repository is in theory built to be compatible with software in Ubuntu's repositories. Pic says that "results in system updates becoming unpredictable" and it may be true, but what I can tell you is that I didn't experience any problems with updates on Mint (used it for two years).
Also, the reason some packages are blacklisted by default isn't related to this; it's indeed in order to guarantee stability, but not because Mint having an additional repository make Mint unstable, but because updates in general can cause problems (or solve them), which is true for Mint, Ubuntu and every OS, and the Mint devs decided to disable updates for critical packages so that no problems appeared for novice users. Anyway, it's true that disabling some packages from updating by default is kinda retarded because you miss security updates for those packages, but remember defaults are there to be changed (it takes like two clicks).
>Thirdly
Well, yeah they fucked up that original mdm package. True but not a big deal. Their "X apps" didn't hijack any packages AFAIK, by the way.

(to be continued)

(continuation)

Here are other negative/whatever things about Mint:
- Firefox comes with its search engines changed so that Mint can monetize searches from Mint. I personally hated this. There was some package you had to uninstall in order to stop this.
- No firewall by default (this may have changed). You can (should) install and enable ufw to solve this, but you need to configure it in order to torrent, etc., or for shit like UPnP in general. Because of the needed configuration I suppose it didn't come by default, but a firewall is important.
- No apparmor by default. While apparmor is kind of a meme, you can install it if you want it.
- All necessary media codecs to have full multimedia support, which implies some proprietary or patented codecs are installed by default (patents aren't an issue outside USA, by the way). I think this changed (was "solved", if this was ever really a problem to begin with) in their last release.
- Flash (proprietary) by default.
- Java by default ([The "Java is bad" meme intensifies]).
- Non-free (as in freedom) RAR extraction support by default (there's free version but it doesn't let extract some types of RAR).
- Mint doesn't have a standard way to upgrade from a release to another. I think this changed recently.
- They have a LTS strategy now, so they only use the LTS versions of Ubuntu as the package base for Mint. Ubuntu LTS releases happen every two years. This means for two years Mint releases have the same, outdate package base (two years outdate at most). Note that the kernel can be updated nevertheless.
- Their website was hacked for hours some day some time ago, which meant some people downloaded a fake Mint ISO. Bittorrent downloads weren't affected. This was a WordPress problem. They fixed it. Remember to always check sums.

But honestly, Mint is just Ubuntu. Change deafults as desired. If you want Cinnamon, go for Mint. If you want any other DE, go for the respective Ubuntu spin.

>As a matter of fact, it reminds me of ubuntu spin-off distros
Because that's what Mint is

I had Ubuntu until maybe 12.10, and it was good for me then.

Looks fine, since I'll be dual booting I'll try it,

Mint is a rip off of Ubuntu, not a spin.
There's a difference.

I recommend trying Ubuntu and mate, the difference will be like night and day, mint is just that far behind Ubuntu. Cinnamon is a nice DE though

Ubuntu and mint *

Confirmed: github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules

Why the hell would one use a distro that literally needs to block kernel updates so it doesn't fall apart?