Rx480 vs Gtx1060

Rx480 vs Gtx1060
which one is more futureproof and better current value performance-to-price wise?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sRo-1VFMcbc
futuremark.com/pressreleases/introducing-3dmark-time-spy-directx-12-benchmark-test
github.com/GPUOpen-ProfessionalCompute-Tools/HIP
techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_GTX_1060_Super_JetStream/16.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

480 for both, 1060 is only better in outdated dx11 games with gaymeworks

RX 480. It's cheaper, better, and not only has more vRAM but faster vRAM as well.

These things are selling like hotcakes and they sellout really fucking fast though. I would get pic related asap before they are sold out.

1060 is a lot better in nearly everything:

On average, a 1060 is 13.72% better than a 480.

On average, when using DX11, a 1060 is 15.25% better than a 480.

On average, when using DX12, a 1060 is 1.02% worse than a 480.

On average, when using Vulkan, a 1060 is 27.13% better than a 480.

>outdated dx11 games
AMDcuck damage control is hilarious

kek

amd fags are truly pathetic

OP here, yes it's 15% faster but i just checked on newegg canada and it's 100$ more for the 1060.

>1060 better on Vulkan
nigger get that sauce out or shut the fuck up

1060 has great price-performance, you will have 65+ FPS in any modern game on settings maxed out. not so futureproof, will be outdated in 2 years.

480 has shitty performance and horrible architecture, underperforms in everything. But it supports all the next-gen tech and with some bios updates you will probably be ok for the next 4 years or so.

You decide.

>I wish my motherboard melted before someone elses did

1060 doesn't properly dx12 and vulkan with their peeemption "async"

>this pre alpha vulkan wrapper based game again
keep trying

1060 does dx12 great, in fact it's nearly identical to the 480 dx12 performance.

Same with async, in fact the 1060 is arguably much better at dx12 and async going into the future because it beats the 480 in the DX12 benchmark Time Spy.

>time spy again
it's not a full DX12 implementation

1060 performs better in dx11, and has about the same perf/$ as the RX480 in DX11 (costs slightly more, performs slightly better). RX480 performs better in DX12, so it's going to surpass the 1060 in perf/$ as more DX12 titles are released.
RX480 consumes more power, though.

You realize that it wasn't a problem right? Nvidia has been going over the pci spec for years and nothing bad has happened.

To make matters worse AMD undervolted Rx 480 GPUs with a driver update and as a side effect of getting close the the pci spec they've increased overall performance as well.

So AMD confirmed for poor qc pretty much.

>tfw you're going to buy an rx480 so AMD doesn't go out of business so that Nvidia gets a monopoly

Taking the hit for you guys.

I really enjoy nvidias HBM cards.

Time Spy is literally a DX12 benchmark. In fact AMD themselves helped create it.

I wonder OP, which one?

Nvidia never went over the pcie spec, not even once.

480 was literally the only card to do that, a complete disaster. Another good reason to avoid the 480 because it still goes over spec even with the new patch.

>futureproof

Neither. If you want "futureproof" your best bet is the 1080.

As far as 480 vs 1060 you're better off with a 1060. Every 480 that goes in stock is being snatched up by a memecoin miner within seconds. At least with the 1060 you won't have to wait 6 months before getting your hands on one.

480. If you actually use your GPU for more then playing console ports and jerking off over your 200 dollar RGB LED mouse and keyboard set with matching video card.

10 series Nvidia is trash. From the Titan down to the 1060 so far. Its only saving grace is it's the only thing out. Because AMD is fucking broke and can't buy enough silicon wafers for production to meet demand.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with AMD qc.
Nicely argument.

I don't know about the 1060, but rx480 is a steaming piece of shit
Nvidia cards have always been better in the long run, this won't be any different
do not listen to the shills amd is an awful awful company

outdated dx11? you mean the current industry standard? good luck with the 12 games that give you the option though all of them are literal dogshit.

I like dont like AMDs new green logo

1060 is way better than the 480.

Crossfire

millisecond spikes don't violate pci spec, however seconds and minutes at a time like the 480 was doing, that's another story.

quit your fanboyism and realise you're getting cucked already.

>Nvidia never went over the pcie spec, not even once.

Its because of Nvida those specs where made.

youtube.com/watch?v=sRo-1VFMcbc

>dual gpu with 2 weaker cards
Now that's what I call autism.

/thread

dx12 is out, he asked for something futureproof and better price performance, since dx12 is what will be used in the future the 480 is still more futureproof than the 1060

>dual GPU shit

At least Nvidiafags don't shill that dead concept because one Nvidia card suffices in making you feel like your setup isn't from 2008.

"Developed with input from AMD, Intel, Microsoft, NVIDIA, and the other members of the Futuremark Benchmark Development Program, Time Spy shows the exciting potential of low-level, low-overhead APIs like DirectX 12. "

futuremark.com/pressreleases/introducing-3dmark-time-spy-directx-12-benchmark-test

dual 8 pin power connectors. nice try that was the card frying and not the motherboard. that wasn't a pci spec issue.

HBM sure helped the fury x beat the 980 ti :^)

> is only better in outdated dx11 games with gaymeworks
> it's only better in all existing games!
>RX 480 will be better in all upcoming games, really!

And how many people actually install more than one graphics card onto their system?
What's that?

20%?

15%?

10%?

Nope.

Not even a 1%

Lol that has nothing to do with the pcie slot. Jesus you're dumb.

I love how amd autists only argument is "is goin to b betr in futurr!!!!!!"

Then all of it turns out to be shit

Rx480 gona be so good and kill nvidia!!
Its shit

Replace rx480 with anything from pajjetamd

RX 480 is total garbage, so they have to make up some unproveable bullshit like that. They can say "it's gonna be better in the future" even though all evidence shows it's awful, but no one can prove them wrong because you'd need a time machine.

>it's not real Vulkan!
>it's not real DX12

This is fucking hilarious, denial is real

Just typical AMD waitfag logic. Just wait...just wait..just wait it's gonna be good later...just wait...meanwhile in the real world Nvidia is clearly superior.

>what is OpenGL in a Vulkan wrapper

Don't buy rx 480, you won't get drivers for it when AMD drops gcn, which will happen soon.

t. HD6970 user suffering from buyers remorse

6% better at a 50 dollar premium in year old vidyagames, with less VRAM. No compute to speak of, and shitty OpenCL support. We won't even go in to Vulkan and Direct X 12 band aid fixes. And now we have some machine language effects via shader intrinsic functions for gaming that Nvidia hasn't even allowed outside of CUDA.

Meanwhile on a 480, I have better crypto, can run OpenCL OR CUDA with no performance loss, superior rendering, but you can sure as fuck do machine learning on that GTX... very, very, slowly.

Fuck it, let's throw on that "SSG" on a W4100 and laugh as it chokes the life out of Nvidia "competition" for rendering real-time 8k resolution at 30 frames per second.

1060 is $10 more for 13% better performance in all games overall.

It does async and DX12 even better than the 480, and absolutely destroys the 480 in Vulkan.

>six year old card

Poorfag defined.

>usually get AMD cards because better price/performance
>tfw want to get RX480 but also want to use CUDA since it apparently is easier than OpenCL

>he fell for the rx480 meme
Enjoy your drivers, shadowplay, CUDA, and Linux support.
Enjoy your housefire, your burning motherboard and fried chipset.

AMDfags are poorfags suffering from buyers remorse wishing they spent the extra 20 dollars on a quality nvidia product

According to Nvidia, it sure does!

According to every one else involved in game development Nvidia gets ass rammed in Vulkan and Nvidia.

>nvidia gets assrammed in vulkan and nvidia
You AMDumbs never cease to amuse me

>Nvidia gets ass rammed in Vulkan and Nvidia.

Uhhh what?

Jesus AMDtards really are retarded.

>A beta version of a game when the developers themselves are telling people not to use as a benchmark due to how unfinished it is
>A benchmark that uses the absolute minimum feature level of the API, leaving out the more advanced async compute related parts of the API
I know it's annoying when you think you've got a "gotcha", but then find out out don't have one.

Seriously, if you want to measure Vulkan performance use Doom and if want DX12 performance use AotS, Hitman or Total War:Warhammer.

>Developed with input

Oh AMD went from helping to create to "input", Ohhh ok I get it.

You seem to read a lot why arent you talking abou the fact that 3DMark uses context switching to do Async and not using proper parallel processing for AMD cards JUST LIKE DX11. 3DMark did a good job of not pissing off Nvidia. iD and Microsoft are the only company so far thats using the new APIs with out a care or concern about AMD or NV.

You're welcome

github.com/GPUOpen-ProfessionalCompute-Tools/HIP

Works like shit though

>13% better performance in all games overall.
Sure, when most of them are using DX11 or OpenGL. IIRC the review that figure is from intentionally left out Doom, ran Hitman in DX11 mode and had a whole bunch of games people don't play anymore like Battlefield 3 (yes, 3, not 4).

>crying

Leave Nvidias forums and look around at what's happening.

AMD literally signed off on 3DMark, just like Nvidia did.

Time Spy is a balanced benchmark created to not favor either card, that's why both Nvidia and AMD created it together.

It's really too bad that the 480 is just inferior hardware though compared to the 1060, it just shows in a balanced benchmark such as Time Spy.

Post your project and let's see what's wrong with it.

Nope that 13% includes Doom in Vulkan and Hitman in DX12

>balanced

>catering to the lowest common denominator

Hello Mr graphics card debaters :∆D

>Thinks AMD could have actually forced FutureMark to create vendor or architecture specific branches when FutureMark specifically said that they weren't going to make any
Time Spy used the absolute minimum feature level of the API so it can be run on Nvidia hardware going back to Kepler (600-series), AMD hardware going back to GCN 1.0 (7000-series) along with Intel integrated graphics going back to Haswell (HD4000).

As a DX12 benchmark Time Spy is is joke. Any proper DX12 game is going to have vendor and architecture specific paths that utilize higher feature levels.

>ny proper DX12 game is going to have vendor and architecture specific paths that utilize higher feature levels.

Do you not realize that would create a bias benchmark?

It literally has to be vendor neutral, that's the entire point.

Time Spy is a neutral benchmark with no optimizations for either side, and unfortunately it shows the 1060 is just plain superior to the 480.

Nope, this is the review it's from:
techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_GTX_1060_Super_JetStream/16.html

Here's the sentence in question:
>In this test, we're testing the game in DirectX 11 mode, which is still reasonably taxing on high-end GPUs

Also note the lack of AotS

EXACTLY THIS!

Thats why everyone stop talking about 3D Mark except this fucking retard.

I've got a GTX 980. Would I gain anything from upgrading? I'm thinking about acquiring a 4k monitor. Would I gain much from either an RX480 or 1060?

It's a neutral benchmark only in the sense that it runs on the widest possible range of hardware, but the result of that is that it doesn't properly utilize the extra features in more recent hardware.

In other words: As a benchmark it's worthless. I'd compare it to a weight lifting competition between someone who can bench 100 KG vs someone who can bench 90 KG at a gym where the maximum weights only go to 80 KG.

The performance in Time Spy is marginal.between both GPU's on the same AIB Partner card. Also driver updates are already eating into any performance gains the 1060 has.

The 1060 is a good card but you're better off with a 480 if you're gonna keep it for more than 2 years. Also depends on what games you play. If you're not interested in new games the 1060 is a better choice, if you wanna play new upcoming dx12 games like bf1, forza horizon 3 or deus ex then the 480 is better. With Nvidia you get shadowplay which is a really neat feature, AMD has freesync which is good if you're on a budget and planning to get a 144hz monitor down the line. I've been using a 660GTX for a while now and switching over to the MSI Gaming X 480, it's the best aib 480 card so I recommend it.

AMD cards age better.

No. I honestly wouldn't upgrade until you see some better 4k monitors on the market. This time next year should have some good ones.

They designed it together with Nvidia and AMD.
The implemented it based on how they thought most devs would implement it.

Watch the pcperspective interview with one of the lead guys at FutureMark.

Dont know how much truth there is in that, but if Vulkan and DX12 turn out to be a pain in the ass to implement "properly" then most devs will skip it.

What about the 7970 and 290/290x, which pulled further and further ahead of their (at time of release) competitors as time went on?

futureproof is a stupid buzzword that is basically equivalent to its current performance.

Then that tells you why video games are absolute garbage. Because so few people who are qualified to develop games actually are developing them.

The 4gig 480 is best price to performance.

Best in the future depends on if vulkan and async shaders catch on. Also, resolution.

480 if you can actually get your hands on one.

.01 shekel(s) have been deposited to your geforce experience account

>480
>better than a 1060

Thanks user. I'll stick with my 980 until the 1070 falls in price and better 4K monitors are on.

It's morally superior .

Lol

Better 4k... Uhh 0ne ms 4k monitors at 60hz already exists you poorfag.

>playing old shit games on a outdated api
wew lad

>morally Superior
In what way?

Well I was shopping for one but user suggested I wait. What do you suggest?

>dx12
>outdated API

Ah yes, the old nvidia is evil because AMD can't tesselate meme. gg

>It's a neutral benchmark only in the sense that it runs on the widest possible range of hardware
Not the same user but it is neutral in the sense that it does not take advantage of any vendor specific optimizations.

nice cherry picking

>gtx 1060 is better in dx12 than an rx480
Hurr cherry picking

autismo panjeet nvidia shill

Drivers can only do so much famalam when the card doesn't have the hardware to support new features or is simply at its max, i.e. your six year old card.

B-BUT NVIDIA IS BETTER B-BECAUSE IT COSTS MORE