/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

tommynation.com/enable-remote-access-administrative-shares-windows-10/
downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility
microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53332
tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
superuser.com/questions/801105/do-two-computers-connected-on-the-same-wi-fi-have-the-same-ip-address
crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hey Sup Forums I just purchased an SSD and I was trying to clone my HDD to it however it has an incompatible sector size (HDD is 512, SSD is 4096) and it won't clone onto the SSD because of this. How can I change the sector size on the SSD to match my hard drive? It has no files on it and I am willing to format it again if I need to.

Hey guys. I'm looking to start developing a desktop software as a side project that manages a businesses workflow / quoting stuff. What would be the best language for something like this? I was thinking Java for its robustness.

I know it's been done, I'm just doing it as an exercise, and wanted some opinions. What about using node-webkit?

Don't try to change your sector size. SSDs need their sectors to not be messed with. Find a better cloning program, like macrium

JavaFX*

Macrium is the program and it will not allow me to transfer them partitions because the sectors are different sizes.

Did you uncheck sector by sector clone?

You signed up for forced updates when you installed 10

I am not in a tech job, but I do use excel a lot. Making advanced spreadsheets and manipulating data/making buttons would be useful for me. I think learning Visual Basic would be useful for me, and I've already started to do some really intro stuff. Is learning this language worthwhile? And where should I learn it? Considering the only time I would need to code in my career would be in excel 99% of the time. It just seems that when I google stuff about vb, people say it's unpopular and that python is a better place to start...

reposting from last thread

win10 installed the anniversary update without my permission and explorer is now crashing and restarting every three or four seconds (it's also randomly taking focus away from firefox, hence that last unfinished post)

i cant roll back the update because the settings window thing crashes alongside explorer

what do

Then your program is shit, because that doesn't make a lick of sense.

SUP BREHS
What's a good low-resource navigator for my 2003 computer?

Make sure you enable "Intelligent sector copy". If that doesn't work, switch to EaseUS Todo backup

Try safe mode?

I've asked this 30 times but no one's ever even replied to me

How can I run cyanogenmod on my nexus 5 with the minimal proprietary google shit AND still have a working google maps app? I don't even necessarily need the play store (would be nice but not necessary)

Is micro g the answer? I need a decent GPS app on my smartphone but would rather not be totally part of the botnet

I heard netscape made a nice navigator

I did exactly that by installing the full gapps and then removing gapps components until Maps didn't work anymore. It worked pretty well, and you do not need the app store this way. Be prepared for a sequence of quite a few reinstalls / backup recovery steps though.

No, I don't remember the exact list of components you need to keep, sorry.

I have win 7 and I already use firefox.
2GB RAM
nVidia Geforce4 MX 440 SE

Some guy told me to use Pale moon. Is this a good decision? I thought PM was heavier than Firefox.

Also, do you know a low resource torrent client too? Some user told me to use tixati but that shit crashes my computer.

Just wondering, did you use freecyngn?

Just use firefox and deluge.

Palemoon is out of date by nature which ususally means it's missing out on memory improvements

In CLion how do I choose to make a C project ? Everytime I start a new one, I'm not asked what language I'm using and I get a main.cpp, but I want .c

So I've installed xubuntu 16.04 on my hdd since windows was taking a fuck long time to boot from post and the same thing is happening with Xubuntu. Could it be possible my 4 month old hard drive is failing?

Thanks.
And do you know some low-resource torrent client?

I'm using Win7.

I want to make a simple script to open a bunch of executable files the minimized the resultant windows. Is this possible to do with a .bat or AHK file or will I need to learn actual script language to do this?

E.G
Open Game.exe
Open Overlay.exe
Open VOIP.exe
Minimize Game.exe
Minimize Overlay.exe
Minimize VOIP.exe
[if using AHK script to do this]
Close xxxx.AHK
Close autohotkey.exe

Suggestions on first newbie basic scripting if this is the case? I am lazy as fuck and want to do this with the least effort possible.

Are nexus phones system apps such as Phone and Camera updated through the play store?

Transmission... Transmission-qt on Windows

what's the best way to remove black bars from webms?

So after rebooting it goes to the bios logo screen but my motherboard doesn't beep until like a minute after the screen goes blank. Could it also be my motherboard?

If you're using just plain old android I don't see why they wouldn't.

Is there a quicker way to clean VHS tapes other than, open the case...
>remove one meter
>clean carefully each inch manually with a cloth
>put the clean meter in place
>repeat
This appears to be extremely slow, and I have too many tapes to clean! Would be better if, somehow, I could put the tape on something like the reader, but insted of reading, it would sping and clean it, like one type of car wash facility.

Try clonezilla. I just used it to transfer my buddies shit on his macbook pro to an 850 evo today and it worked flawlessly.

Are you from the past?

Yes, more than 11 minutes ago.

I don't even have that option.

I meant I just couldn't think of the name for it

How much of a fps boost does give me my 1050 monitor over 1080? Im looking into a gpu that can handle witcher 3 max settings at 60fps and both the gtx 1060 and the rx 480 fall just short on that goal at 1080p.

No matter what program or setting I use it refuses to clone because of the incompatible sector sizes

Then I think you are having a different problem and confusing it with sector size

Is it ok for my CPU to run between 39c idle to 55c max?
I'm running a pentium g3260 with a shadowrock LP in a very compact sg11b

Pic related, cooler fan and PSU clearance is abysmal.

What could be the reason that speedfan doesn't recognize one of my fans?

the legend

why the fuck windows 10 has to send two days lasting updates? shit it fucking sucks

i heard deep prayer works

No because it specifically says in the error messages that the sector sizes are wrong.

How to get a Win7 installation flash drive set up? I had the links a while back and lost them

I understand that. Obviously you wouldn't be saying that if you were getting a different error message. But the thing about error messages is that they're not magic. They're just the closest approximation of the problem the coder could anticipate when he was making the program. So you can't always trust the error message because sometimes a program will shoot out something unrelated when things fail. This sounds a lot like one of those times.

use an electric drill and find a grippy cylinder that fits into the groove then use the slowest rpm setting and put it against a cloth.

Rufus. Also is it a skylake processor?

what is multiple indirection even for?

Alright, thanks for trying to help anyway.

How do I share admin folders from a windows 10 computer? (not mine)
I tried this but it didn't work.
tommynation.com/enable-remote-access-administrative-shares-windows-10/
Pic related.

my laptop has another RAM slot but there's no clicky-thing? Is this normal? Do I need to get it soddered at some place or something?

Believe so, I5 6500. Rufus wasn't one of the links I was given earlier, just mstoolkit and a link to the download that I've since lost

anyone else know the dead-pixel line on the display struggle? will my mind stop seeing it after a week?

Does anyone have any ideas on where I could acquire a free or low priced laptop charger? I just need one for a project, but I don't feel like going to the store and buying one.

Rufus is the thing you use to put it on the flash drive. After it's on the flash drive you'll need to use this

downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

to patch the installer and after you've finnished installing run these

microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=47351

microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53332

...buying one from a store would be faster than waiting for one ordered offline or setting up meetings with craigslist sellers....

get off your ass and go to a best buy.

How common is a faulty mobo? I built my first gaming rig and mine wouldn't boot so I assumed something was wrong with the CPU. No bent pins, PSU passed pin test, GPU worked on my friends rig. That could only mean the mobo is fucked, right?

Fuck. A month ago I was told it took 2 seconds.

Has anyone ever seen a malware detection software infected with malware itself?

Every time I download MalwareBytes, I get brand new infections.

Recommend me some thermal paste. My mobo fucked up and I gotta switch, but I was using a liquid cooler that had paste pre-applied.

Not literally 2 seconds, but this isn't a long process. Those tools don't take long at all to use

It happens, but it's more likely you connected something wrong

tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Have you double checked the locations of every cable, especially the power supply ones? Faulty hardware is possible but not probable if the hardware worked in other rigs beforehand.

>"I built my first gaming rig and it won't boot"
Makes sense.

Re-assemble slowly.

I am trying to make my own audio lessons for school. I have a number of audio files that I want to combine into one file, played in a specific sequence. I would use ffmpeg to just concatenate them but I want to reuse some files again (in order to review information). So for example I'd want the final audio file to play file1.wav, then file2.wav and then perhaps file1.wav again. Is it possible to just tell ffmpeg to read from a list like this, or something?

Unfortunately, I can't pray. And the last time I made a pentagram and tried to invoke Satan, he punished me. Sup Forums is the only option!

No idea how to word this in Google to get an answer. I'm trying to avoid hardlinks in my bash script. I'm using ADB to install shit.

Looks something like:

#!/bin/bash
adb install /huge/fucking/hardlink/to/my/apk.apk

Is it possible to make it adaptive? Like, if someone I work with needs to run it and doesn't want to go and mess with the file path?

I built a new rig with the GPU in the second PCI slot while installing everything. I tried to move it to the 1st PCI slot but it cannot get detected. I'm at a loss and can't find any info online.

Is my current absolute lack of GPU performance because of being in the 8x slot? I get 250fps in CS:GO but it's incredibly choppy even on the lowest settings.

whats a good monitor for digital art? i think 27" is too big for one that will be some 2-3 feet from my face. is 21 or 23" fine?

Hey this really is a stupid question but I have to ask it

I am doing a homework assignment where I have a scenario where I'm setting up a network that consists of one modem, one router, one laptop, 3 pcs, and one printer.
I have to give different local IP addresses to all these devices.
How do local IPs get their assigned address? I can't just put random numbers that go 192.168.x.x right?
I am searching online and all I can find is articles saying "there are both local and public IP addresses" and nothing other than that.

Please help, I'm not asking for you guys to do it for me, I just want a link to the info that shows me what I need to know. What is the actual process that determines whether a PC is 192.168.1.8 or 192.168.1.5?

Why is my memory usage increasing, in a 24 hour period it goes from 30% at start up to 70% with only the programs open that it has at start up.

4K IPS panel, ~30"

27" is definitely not too large for 2-3 feet

An IP address is uniform for a single network. If these computers are connected to that single network, they cannot get their own IP addresses. Especially the printer. You're probably not getting results because this is not possible.

"Local" IP addresses mean your personal address at home, used by your router specifically. "Public" IP addresses are used at stores and shit, with no password to the WiFi or some shit so everyone can just connect willy nilly. You need proxy software to change an IP address, and maybe THEN you can get different proxies on each device. But not a printer.

thanks and sorry I should have clarified, I am asking about local IPs

I am retarded but not full retard, I know the difference between public and local IP, and static and dynamic.
I just don't know how local IPs are assigned?

The issue is I don't have a computer I can do it on myself. Was gonna borrow a friends but I'm not playing around with all this shit on his laptop.

Is there somewhere I can just buy a win7 USB that isn't a scam

What software do you use to check the temperature of your system and your hardware specs?
Can I also use this for external hard drives to check its temperature?
What are some other useful software that I should use? I'm going to have a new laptop soon and I want to get the most of it

superuser.com/questions/801105/do-two-computers-connected-on-the-same-wi-fi-have-the-same-ip-address

2nd answer.

Speccy

When I output video to my TV from my laptop via HDMI cable the picture is crisp, and a 720p episode leaves black bars on the sides of the screen.

When I try output video to my TV from my new desktop via HDMI cable the picture appears blown up and a 720p episode touches the edges of the screen with no spaces like there should be.

How do I solve this? Using MPC-HC with CCCP.

Disable overscan

Speccy and/or CrystalDiskInfo.

crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

It's weeb friendly!

What temp should my hard drives stay under?
How bad is it to go over? How long is too long?

A good program for testing your external drives temperature is called "Back of your hand". It's external hardware to the computer you'd be using the program on.

>useful software
Like what specifically? What is your rig used for the most?

Another tip: Depending on your hardware, a program will sometimes be installed by the manufacturer. Certain gaming motherboards have their own control center to control boot options, overclock settings, etc.

fug

As low as possible.
It's pretty damaging, long term.
Long term is anything over half an hour, generous estimate.

Overheating your hardware is just bad in general. If you have to, get a box fan and put your drive right on top of it. Anything to keep the temp down, or you risk file damage.

If you're telling me to use the back of my hand to check the temperature, the back of my hand can't check what degree Celsius my hard drive is.
As for useful, I mean in general what software would be useful to the average computer user like Speccy or antiviruses, ad blockers

Keep them under 45C normally, going over 50C is bad.

Best windows RSS reader/podcast downloader?

I'm telling you that a computer cannot detect the temperature of a component that isn't part of its construction. It'll be connected to your PC via USB most likely, so your computer will read it as a mass storage device at most.

Useful programs might include: Proxy Switcher, Total Uninstaller, AVG PC TuneUp, Ccleaner, PC Registry Mechanic, 7-Zip, uTorrent, CrystalDiskInfo (the most likely to give you temperature results), Speccy, etc.

Don't download malwarebytes or spybot. Shits infected.

(cont)

Oh yeah, and ninite.com can give you a single setup file for multiple programs at once. Like I said though, don't download the MalwareBytes or Spybot options.

How do I do this exactly? I don't see it in the settings.

Could this just be happening because my laptop is 1600x900 and my desktop is 1920x1080?

I have several times. I had no fucking idea what was going on after looking over the toms hardware sticky a bunch of times, so just wanting to know what the problem was, I took it some PC shops. They did what they could and basically said the same shit.

Could be in different places depending on your setup
Different resolution shouldn't matter.

Did they elaborate on what "did what they could" entailed?

don't know if you're still here, but thanks

My laptop wont turn on if the screen is all the way down. I push the button, but nothing happens.
>how can you turn it on/ff like that? There's no access to the button
The button is at the top corner, so if i introduce a thin needle just under the screen, I can push the button without having to lift the screen.
>why wouldn't you lift the screen up?
There's a couple of reasons, it doesn't matter.

Is this restricted by hardware?

I disagree, I have problems with the two resolutions interacting all the time. But I always solve it by changing the resolution on the TV itself. My monitor is 1920x1080, but it shows up super zoomed in on my TV too. Sometimes changing the aspect ratio fixes it too.

Laptops generally go into "sleep mode" when the lid gets shut. The settings to control what happens when the lid closes can be found (Windows 10) in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > System Settings. It'll let you choose what each action does.

They breadboxed it themselves, while trying their own test processors along with testing their own GPUs which were a Radeon 460 and I believe a 970