WHY THE FUCK DON'T WE HAVE KERNEL V4.8 YET OR EVEN 4.7

WHY THE FUCK DON'T WE HAVE KERNEL V4.8 YET OR EVEN 4.7

I THOUGHT THIS SHIT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE BLEEDING EDGE!

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-git/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes

is this the new update for AOL?

Because 4.7 is not stable, go enable your unstable repo idiot

>Arch
>Stable
>More than one repo
what did he mean by this

4.7 is the latest stable kernel fucc boi

>Archfags are again beaten by Gentoo, which has had 4.7.0 for a week or more
cucked

Are you implying you can't compile 4.7.0 kernel yourself on Arch?

>Latest stable
Not fully tested against other Arch packages
What?
If I want to compile the kernel
$packer -S linux-mainline

go eat your tendies

I'm explicitly saying that 4.7.0 isn't in Arch package repository yet, and it is on Gentoo. 4.7.0 isn't in ABS yet either.

so first you say it's not stable, now it's "not fully tested against other packages" Wew make up your mind lad :)

That's the git. Gentoo has that too as git-sources. Arch still doesn't have the actual released 4.7.0 in its repos as a version of the kernel while Gentoo does.

How does that prevent you from compiling the unstable kernel you want?
Those mean the same thing retard

There is no point to Arch, but the thing Arch users often pretend is the point is the bleeding edge aspect. If you think Arch is stable, you're retarded. The Arch developers are literal children who will put absolutely anything into the repositories. The OP was wondering why.

>Those mean the same thing retard
No. You just wrong.

>If you think Arch is stable, you're retarded.
> The Arch developers are literal children who will put absolutely anything into the repositories
You have a lot of hot opinions, don't you
So you are saying un-tested packages are stable?

linux-mainline is 4.8.0-rc1 right now. It isn't even released because it isn't even finished, (and it's barely started because 4.7.0 just was released). That's literally just a snapshot of a git repository.

There is a released Linux 4.7.0, and Arch does not have it. If you can't understand what I'm saying, you're genuinely retarded.

No I'm saying stable packages are stable.

ARCH USERS

B T F O

T

F

O

BMI of 39 please go back eating your hotpockets you obnoxious landwhale.

Linux 4.7.0 is stable enough that the kernel developers released it. The fact that Arch doesn't have it yet is a failure on the part of the muh hemorrhaging edge Arch developers. As that one guy said, you can compile the Git source, but that is crazily unstable because it isn't even a completed version yet. If you want to test a newly released kernel, you apparently can't get it from Arch without manually downloading the source and compiling it.

>Un-tested
>Stable
wow

Linus says it is stable which is good enough for me :D

I tried to update to 4.7 manually, and it said it had some conflicting packages, specifically muh nvidia driver. I'll just wait until it hits stable in one month from the release date so I don't break anything.

Linus is a faggot.

AYY LMAO
screenfetch
-`
.o+` user1@tertiary
`ooo/ OS: Arch Linux
`+oooo: Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.4.16-1-lts
`+oooooo: Uptime: 11h 54m
-+oooooo+: Packages: 305
`/:-:++oooo+: Shell: bash 4.3.46
`/++++/+++++++: CPU: Intel Celeron CPU N3050 @ 2.16GHz
`/++++++++++++++: RAM: 194MiB / 1904MiB
`/+++ooooooooooooo/`
./ooosssso++osssssso+`
.oossssso-````/ossssss+`
-osssssso. :ssssssso.
:osssssss/ osssso+++.
/ossssssss/ +ssssooo/-
`/ossssso+/:- -:/+osssso+-
`+sso+:-` `.-/+oso:
`++:. `-/+/
.` `/

You have a lot of hot opinions, don't you

But without him we wouldn't have the best operating system ever, Linux.

>lts kernel on distro designed specifically to be bleeding meme
kek what do you use this box for and why did you think Arch would be a good choice, or even a choice at all, for it

>WHY THE FUCK DON'T WE HAVE KERNEL V4.8 YET
We have 4.8, what are you talking about?

>arch for a server

Why tho

Why not?

Why shouldn't I?

Comfy AUR

Not in stable repo

not an argument

I wasn't aware we were having an argument

What does the AUR do? It contains some scripts that are largely unmaintained that download and install things from the internet?

You are looking for 4.8, you got it. Not my fault you are looking for an unstable kernel

I wasn't aware you were being pedantic

It compiled HPN-SSH for me with NO pain in the butt

You said you have 4.8 meaning you're using the unstable repo no?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>I'm using a meme unstable desktop distro on a server, but why not, right?
>uptime, 11h
there you go

4.8 is not stable, so yes

You seem to not be aware of a lot of things...

And? Are you going to cry now?

what kernel are you on?

4.6, eagerly awaiting 4.7

what

What are you waiting on?

And then there's Debian.....

Exactly, what triggers your little penis knowing that I use Arch?

The latest in greatest. Nothing in particular

I was just wondering if you had a reason for using an epic meme of a desktop distro on a server, when Arch is one of the distros least suited to servers. You evidently don't, other than that it installed a program nobody uses rather quickly, when any distro could have done it just as easily.

Why shouldn't I use Arch for my server? Are you going to sue me?

"4.7 adds support for the recent Radeon RX 480 GPUs, support for parallel pathname lookups in the same directory, a new experimental 'schedutils' frequency governor that should be faster and more accurate than existing governors, support for the EFI 'Capsule' mechanism for upgrading firmware, support for virtual USB Devices in USB/IP to make emulated phones behave as real USB devices, a new security module 'LoadPin' that ensures that all kernel modules are loaded from the same filesystem, an interface to create histograms of events in the ftrace interface, support for attaching BPF programs to kernel tracepoints, support for callchains of events in the perf trace utility, stable support for the Android's sync_file fencing mechanism, and many other improvements and new drivers. "

Any of this titillate you?

4.8 has all of that lmao

Nope, but im interested in the little bug fixed etc. etc.

I was just wondering if you had a reason for using an epic meme of a desktop distro on a server, when Arch is one of the distros least suited to servers. You evidently don't, other than that it installed a program nobody uses rather quickly, when any distro could have done it just as easily and also "because I want to".

you are a special kind of stupid

I-Is 4in considered small... :s

>Resorting to butthurt copy/paste
Lmao go cry somewhere else

XDDD

No one falls for these any more lad. Get some better jokes

>projecting

Why wouldn't you use it as your personal server?

One thing you may notice is that the shitposter who saved all this for backup never really reveals what distro he uses

I'm guessing it's windows

haha im not mad everybody else is mad haha

nah it's some arch user just trollin' probally

What the hell is a pinus?

See

There's no point in mindless speculation. Just ignore, report, and move on.

>KERNEL V4.8
aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-git/

>AUR
Wew top fucking lad!

Did I trigger your autism?

Quite the contrary, I triggered yours it would seem.

Hmm judging by you probably are sweating and panting in your basement of virginity

What a strange conclusion to draw from that post. Hmm really makes me think

trigger warning

pro-tip, la, if it isn't broken don't try to fix it (also happens to be a sys-admin motto)

t. arch linux user who hasn't "upgraded" in ages and has a system that purrs like a kitten. all my settings and programs are tweaked to just the way i want

But no program is perfect i.e. completely bug free. Technically it is "broke" to some degree and does need "fixin' "

if it isn't a security issue or a feature that you don't need, why bother if it is running fine and getting your job done?

Yeah, I guess you're right

ayyy lmao

Daily reminder that Arch and Ubuntu are the most popular Sup Forums distros

And rightfully so.

Because you use an OS with a decentralised development model. Come to BSD-town, you baka fuckin' gaijin.

Thanks but no thanks. I like having extensive software support.

The current Linux packager is slow as shit.

4.6.5 is the kernel in the testing repo
4.6.4 is the kernel is the base repo
they are kinda slow, but 4.7 was a big update so I'm not too worried
AFAIK Gentoo unstable is the only distro with 4.7 OP

they probably don't want to break compatibility for all the fags using proprietary video drivers

>Gentoo unstable is the only distro with 4.7

$ uname -r
4.7.0-gentoo

>being this big of a faggot
>not compiling your own kernel

Some people want to use video drivers that actually work though...

font name pls

They'd be using an AMD card with the open source drivers then.

The nvidia drivers don't work well, and don't integrate well with the native Linux graphics stack. They suck compared to open-source AMD drivers with the exception of raw 3D performance.