How much math do you need to know in order to be a good programmer?

How much math do you need to know in order to be a good programmer?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/science-environment-20033940
www-math.mit.edu/~lurie/papers/cobordism.pdf
mitpress.mit.edu/books/category-theory-sciences
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Algebra, Calculus.. But its mostly Linear Algebra senpai.

Abstract problem solving skills are what you need. Can you do remedial math? You can probably program.

Depends on what you want to do.

Webdev - zero
Actual Computer Science - a fucking lot
Game Dev - Linear algebra and you're good to go

about tree fiddy

This post's accuracy pleases me.

t. Actual computer scientist (Ph.D.)

Oh really? What problem did you tackle in your thesis?

>Game Dev - Linear algebra and you're good to go
As a game dev, let me laugh out loud at your naive assertion.

One, maybe two.

But they have to be good.

Yeah you only need to know the bare minimum of linear algebra desu.

John copied his ``famous'' code, don't you know?

If you're a lousy dev, yes.

"John" is one of the greatest living programmers currently. You are probably just jelly.

All men are equal, buttercup. I envy no one for we are all deserving of death.

You need to be able to count how many steps there are to the basement, and how many doors along your shitty windowless office is.

commie spotted

You won't need 90% of math they teach in college. You basically need to have a solid grasp of high school math. Stuff like double integrals, limits, series and shit like that is useful to know, but now required to be a good programmer, not unless you want to do gaymen development.

Unless you're programming graphics not that much, everything up to calculus is necessary but programming is more about logics, algorithms and fighting against poor documentation than pure math.

All as said.
Still, mathematics really help in your reasoning and logic skills. Everyone can do some calculus, ODEs, linear algebra, discrete mathematics and formal logic. I'm not saying you should sit down and consume all of Rudin/Fichtengolz/whoever, but even some basic experience kicks the brain in the right place.

So you, as someone who needs analytical thinking, would only benefit from learning it, even if it doesn't benefit you directly.

>there are people on this board who are literally too stupid to understand Gauss' Law

this place needs to have some sort of IQ-test captcha

Learn all the math and shit on programming
T. Math PhD

There are people who don't understand Maxwell's equations. Damn, I'm a software engineer and we derived them in the fourth semester (we have a mandatory 2-semester physics course, which is literally considered babby-tier by every non-computer department). If we can do it, everyone can.

You mean op's stupid because he posted a physics-related picture while asking about maths?

>why can't computers understand my brilliant sequences of declarative logic?
(you)

Never understood electrostatics and always hated it, the professor was a mean 80 year old shitbag. Thankfully I passed the course and have already forgotten the little I knew. Fuck physics desu famalam pie, never needed that shit for a job, why would I desu? I'm not a fucking electrician I'm a fucking software engineer I don't give a shit how transistors work, they can be powered by black magic for all I care, it has literally no impact on my job.

As an actual gamedev. It depends if you do mostly gameplay, tools and some basic engine work linear algebra is more than enough. If you wanna do something like physics, sound or graphics you're gonna need some more. Especially if you wanna create your own shaders. Though something like a normal map shader is easy. But doing something like a realistic realtime ocean shader is a lot harder.

fuck math it's just a meme, actually programming makes you good not learning math

>he thinks advanced linear algebra is required to develop games
You're just wrong. Stop trying to act superior because you were forced to learn something you'll never use.

Math/compsci TA here. You don't need to USE any math while programming
However being competent at thinking maybe mathematically is incredibly useful, and students with poor math skill have a much rougher time learning programming. This is especially true once you get to abstract data types - linked lists, stacks, queues are difficult for some.

well if you're an average dumbshit unity shitter then yeah you won't need it, but if you actually write an engine yourself then it'll be useful senpai

>ctrl+f abstract algebra
>nothing

Shiuld be mandatory.

>writing an engine yourself
Holy shit. Stop spreading memes. If you think a single person or a small company would build a better or even closely as good engine as those already on the market you're an idiot. It takes a very long time to make a competitive engine unless you have a large number of developers behind it and by the time you make it unity/unreal or fucking game maker engine will already be better than it. There's no reason to reinvent a shitty wheel when you already have golden ones out there.

Applied fizzbuzz

>not writing your own engine
>don't reinvent the wheel guys
literally pajeet of gamedev

Who cares about small indie meme numale developers? I'm talking about major game stuidos who tend to have their own engines ( RAGE, Id Tech 5, Luminous ), and with every upcoming game they tend to customize and update their engine. If you dont know your math you aren't going to be apart of it and that's certainly the part where the money is

Absolutely none beyond elementary propositional logic, unless you are doing:
- Graphics
- Scientific Computing (really, applied science)
- Videogame engines
- Theoretical CS
- Grad-level AI
- Verification
- Some other niche field you don't care about

Rajesh codemonkey detected

I'm working for a small company doing game development, I can do your generic highschool level Math and I seem to get along fine

It entirely depends on the software you're working on. You can be a good programmer and know relatively little math (high school level, perhaps). Other software might require a lot.

I work as a DSP engineer so I usually use... the math related to signal processing, like filters and transforms (wow what a surprise). Barely ever apply any linear algebra or calculus.

All of math

>major game studios
Nobody who spends time here and asks stupid questions will ever be hired by a serious game studio so the OP question is probably aimed at noob devs. And nobody said math isn't important, just that non-basic linear algebra isn't, unless you're making your own engine and even then not every single programmer working at the company will be a part of it.

From what I read, discrete math, calculus and linear algebra you should know. My school doesn't have a strong math department so I'll only be taking advanced calculus and real analysis to get my math minor, anything would be a waste of time

enough for your problem domains algorithms

lmao all that math just to make squares

Y so mad?

>DSP engineer
Doing eee and I had a module for SP. How much harder does it get beyond Laplace/Fourier in terms of maths? Any concepts you found hard overall?
Maths isn't my strong point but that's probably due to never fucking applying any at uni so i just forget what i learn.

>DSP engineer
ay, should I go into EE, CE or CS?

I want to learn DSP

About as much as you need to use a calculator.

You make it sound like making an engine is very hard or something. What's hard is to make an engine that's general and complex enough to appeal to other people, buyers. Like your engine is a product and not a tool to make your game, that's really different types of engine.
But seriously, the best gamedev always make their own because they need something specific and efficient. And you know what, i think they can even reuse their code for the next engine.

also, there is not yet a wheel in programming pajeet.

A lot of people like to make fun of mathematics. It's usually because they don't understand it.

I'm going to repeat the open secret that has been known by every great scientist who has ever lived: the language of science is mathematics. If you can speak the language, and understand the language, and use the language, your job as a scientist of making contributions to science that are bigger than yourself becomes not just easier, but it becomes practically possible. That is to say, it is impractical to attempt to tackle scientific problems without being able to use mathematics.

Here's a little something something to hopefully inspire someone
bbc.com/news/science-environment-20033940

The only complex math I've had to use has involved some basic trig a few times. In all cases it's easy to google what you need anyway.

>Homu homu
Fucking weeb mathematics.

>shitting_butt.jpg

Look for a job listing for your dream job and see what they want

gold wheels probably have a problem with deforming

also, ECE

one word:
more

Did you reply to the wrong post faggot? Also I dare you to find an application of category theory to science. Go on, I'll wait.

As a Coq programmer, math is programming and programming is math. There is no difference.

>linear algebra
>advanced
found the dropout

>I dare you to find an application of category theory to science.

Category theory is used a lot in topological quantum field theory: www-math.mit.edu/~lurie/papers/cobordism.pdf

You should be able to complete at least 75% of everything on Project Euler using a low-level language.

I don't understand this so I'll just condescend more, you tryhard shithead

I know math is useful, but its hard to understand.

>TQFT
>relevant to physics
All relevance of TQFT in physics is done through Chern-Simons theory, and all the topology and knot theory that's needed for the physicists to make working models do not require category theory. There is no application here.
Also TQFT, and more generally HQFT, are fields of pure mathematics that uses an originally physical idea to study topological invariants and their categorical relationships; it does not care about physics. Lurie, Atiyah, etc. are pretty much *the* giants in this sort of TQFT, so citing him just makes your case weaker.
I know you think that just because a field has "quantum field theory" in its name then it must be related to physics. Sadly this isn't the case here.

>and that's certainly the part where the money is
Doubtful there are plenty of jobs with the same salary requiring less math and keeping in mind a very high rate of burnout around gaymen developers, a gaymen dev job isn't all that enticing.

mitpress.mit.edu/books/category-theory-sciences

>Also TQFT, and more generally HQFT, are fields of pure mathematics

I guess you're right. It's like how operator theory is mostly used in physics, but its an area of pure math.

Not at all. Operator theory is necessary in studying quantum mechanics while category theory (or rather, the category theory aspect of TQFT) isn't.
A more apt analogy would be algebraic quantum field theory, which constructs QFTs that satisfy Wightman axioms from a purely algebraic perspective. New mathematical ideas have been born from it but it has no impact on how physicists do calculations.