youtube.com/watch?v=XwR3e2iq9EI
youtube.com/watch?v=UvluuAIiA50
youtube.com/watch?v=aWVywhzuHnQ
youtube.com/watch?v=eDmv0sDB1Ak
youtube.com/watch?v=k0J_y0Av_f8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bulk silicon is indeed heavily doped.

damn son, where'd you find this?

What size of wafer is that? and where did you get it?

UNDERRATED

Trill
Trap
Shit

8"?

I guess now we know why Zen was delayed.

How do I get one of these to hang on my wall?

ISSOU

You can find them on ebay for next to nothing.

I really want to put my finger right down on the center of those and leave a nice, greasy fingerprint.

SoCal Nevada on Ebay

300mm (12")

Please don't, grease eats away the litography.

Sorry for long response time, I was finishing season 4 of OITNB

Very beautiful
Just ordered 8 wafers last week
Still wondering how I'm gonna display them

Make a disco ball thing out of wafers.

I'm ordering 2 40x40cm black aluminium frames.

and what are those for?

What do you do with these

install gentoo on them

Anal pleasure

Anything cool happen if you hit it with a laser?

hotglue it

They sell them on ebay. Wafers with more impressive and/or notable designs are often quite expensive though. You can get wafers with more simplistic ICs for relatively little cost

Can produce my own silicon wafer at home, even using primitive technology or is still impossible in 2016?

Is there any logical reason why you would fucking say that post is underrated? Has anybody expressed any kind of dissatisfaction or criticism at all against it? Are you delusional? Are you reading replies that are nonexistant? Maybe you come from communities with voting systems, but there is literally no way that you could know what other people think of that post you just replied to here. Maybe it's psychological. Maybe it's your own post you're replying to, like a 12 year old fucktard liking his own facebook posts thinking his swelling autism is going unnoticed. Maybe your self esteem depends on you tricking yourself into thinking someone out there thinks your post is worth something. Or maybe you are just a retard, the worst kind of retard, the one who thinks he's smart, the one who thinks he's the only one to have gotten the joke, to have understood the post. Well, guess what, faggot, that post is by no definition underrated so why don't you do the world a favor and go check out what the bottom of your toilet smells like?

Not likely.

Is there any logical reason why you would fucking say that post is underrated? Has anybody expressed any kind of dissatisfaction or criticism at all against it? Are you delusional? Are you reading replies that are nonexistant? Maybe you come from communities with voting systems, but there is literally no way that you could know what other people think of that post you just replied to here. Maybe it's psychological. Maybe it's your own post you're replying to, like a 12 year old fucktard liking his own facebook posts thinking his swelling autism is going unnoticed. Maybe your self esteem depends on you tricking yourself into thinking someone out there thinks your post is worth something. Or maybe you are just a retard, the worst kind of retard, the one who thinks he's smart, the one who thinks he's the only one to have gotten the joke, to have understood the post. Well, guess what, faggot, that post is by no definition underrated so why don't you do the world a favor and go check out what the bottom of your toilet smells like?

Post the video where Intel shows some Americans a tour of their CPU making process and the guys just smash the wafer "for fun"

lmao

>op is a nigger
>op steals zen
>op now can shitpost about it

wait what. what the fuck is wrong with Americans?

youtube.com/watch?v=-KTKg0Y1snQ

These wafer mover things are fascinating to watch. Intel should set up a stream at the intersections of the tracks.

What is it?looks cool though

>stream
streaming webcam*

Is there actually a video like that? Those wafers cost a couple thousand dollars I think.

The Intel rep said it was like $100,000 I think

I have a few of these things. They're beautiful to look at. The engineering behind these things is incredible.

are they cpu's? the fuck am I looking at

I worked with 4 inch silicon wafers and they were about 100 dollars each (virgin). When you add lithography processes to it, the price goes up exponentially.

>left is 1994
>right is 1992
It's supposed to go left to right

youtube.com/watch?v=x4ngrnLULOY

I found it

Decoration

It reflects

Gonna use silicon or epoxy

This

One of them is shared prototype, probs some kind of CPU and photo sensors. Second one is some kind of data storage with uC, probs ram.

I only have a couple chips I designed and an intermediate 5" MEMS wafer I processed.

Though a whole wafer would be nice, how much do 300mm reject wafers go for?

jesus christ how are Americans even real

Incoming America vs Europe debate

Apparently that's from a TV show called "American Chopper". It's a man-drama show about a family that builds motorcycles.

Does someone mentioning America hurt your fee-fees or something?

I'm just trying to make someone laugh.

lol there are still people who walk

Haven't seen OCC in like 8 years.

The Intel employee was handling the thing without gloves I seriously doubt it was a good wafer to begin with. The real issue here is now they have to clean up broken glass and change suits.

You are truly my hero.

youtube.com/watch?v=XwR3e2iq9EI

it worked senpai thank you for the laughs

>they're square pattern in design
>cut to a circle
wtf?

Nice dubz bro xD

Not really. Dud wafers are worth like $10, they just get melted down

Best dubs all day

The silicon plates are grown as one super-pure crystal. Like a snowball rolling down hill, it's not gonna be a square

OITNB ?

does this mean my mom has crystals in her chest?

They're created from a circular crystal.

cylindrical* oops

Your mom is the opposite of super-pure, just ask the legions of people who've injected their code into her

I bet that was an Itanic wafer

you don't need to tell me that. at least she lets me do it too

How and why are they made like that?

High purity silicon is placed into a vat and heated until it melts. Then a wire is lowered into the molten silicon and they slowly and carefully pull the silicon to create a cylindrical crystal at a specific dimension. Then the crystal is sliced into thousands of razor thin wafers.

youtube.com/watch?v=UvluuAIiA50

It's probably orange is the new black.

why can't they melt them into something like this?

>not making rectangular wafers to avoid waste
Stupid niggers
>not just making CPUs like 4 times as big instead of making them the same speed but tinier
Retards

Give me a couple million dollars and I'll show you how to make a proper CPU

they could, but melted/formed metal has inconsistent internal structure
silicon used for wafer production is grown as a single crystal
youtube.com/watch?v=aWVywhzuHnQ

>┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I'll give you a few bucks for that autism medication you've been skipping out on

The silicon is grown the way it is because it is an atomically uniform single crystalline structure. There is no variability in the placement of atoms within it. Thats a must when building small scale devices. Bulk silicon especially is treated with numerous additive metals, insulators, special sauce to prepare the wafer for the building of source/drain wells and channels. They aim for near atomic uniformity here, and if there is any variability in the wafer itself it will negatively impact the performance of every transistor.

As someone with an IT back ground how can I learn more about how CPUs are actually designed? Like for AMD sitting their team down tk develop Zen, how do they do it? Are the circuits designed in software? Etc. I am so fascinated by hardware bit don't know much about how it truly works

Is it possible to use one of those as a dildo? Where would one buy pure silicon dildos?

ARM uses software for simulations, I assume the rest of the cpu guys do as well

Complex ICs are usually written in a "hardware description language". They can also be simulated, basially someone writes a simulator of how the CPU is expected to work in a high level programming language and they compare the actual hardware to it.

Also here's a rather long video that kinda goes over some of the processes

youtube.com/watch?v=eDmv0sDB1Ak

P-pls explain

Doping is the process of depositing atoms into a semiconductor material like silicon to give it the properties of a semiconductor.

youtube.com/watch?v=k0J_y0Av_f8

Read Hennesy&Patterson's books

They have to guess a lot from what I understand, since the models they make only run at a fraction of the speed and with a lot less error than the actual hardware.

Take a look at Intel's errata for their x86 stuff. You'll realize that it's a miracle that these things actually run.