Sleeper PCs

I love the idea of building a sleeper PC. Does anyone have experience with this? I am having a hard time finding old beige PC cases that look half decent. I've gone to garage sales and asked friends for any leads. What am I doing wrong? The IBM Aptiva case has me diamonds but its impossible to find
>Pic not related but cool

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/201311634492
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ebay beige computer cases.

I've done that but they all look like cheap Chinese knock offs and/or are way overpriced

call up public schools and ask

Ive been thinking of doing the same. Would love to outfit an old beige computer with some nice parts just for the Nostalgia factor. I even thought about things I can do with a crt monitor to make it more modern. Instead I might just spray paint a monitor beige...
I would try looking up old oem computers from Dell or hp and just scrap the guts. I have a couple old beige cases lying around but they might be to dirty and banged up to use.

The whole point of a sleeper is that the case DOESN'T look decent

First, not all the cases were beige. Some were, but most were just white ones that have yellowed.

Second, my friend built a sleeper out of one of these about 4 years ago.

Why not just get a plain black new one, like a Lian Li? Doesn't have to look ricer with no LEDs, or does it really have to look like its outta a movie from 1990?

True but what I meant by decent was a cheap chinese knock off case. I know that would be for the best but it also shows that it is made of cheap plastic and metal. I'm thinking of something like an IBM or old HP style.

what I meant by decent wasn't*

witness me

I know they weren't all beige but yeah. I like that case, what did he put in it? Were the temps bad?

You don't buy those things, you go dumpster diving, son

How about something like an Aopen H500A and InWin A500? They're your typical old late 90s computer cases, and can be found cheaply on amazon and ebay.

Forget what, but temps were fine because he tore the back open to put in a rad and water cooled the entire thing. So was really only a "sleeper" from the front I guess.

Call me retarded but I am literally searching those two on both amazon and ebay and I am getting no results
>Yes I am searching them separately
Can I get a link?

I'd always thought a Sun Ultra or IBM Power architecture case would make an awesome case but there's too much propriety shit for me to bother. Mainly HDD backplanes which I'd love to use but no SATA3 kills it.

FW900 on a wheelbarrow...
What are you, some kind of redneck John Carmack?

What the fuck is a sleeper PC

Put some high power guts in a case that doesn't fit the specs inside. Its mainly used to detour thieves and etc.
Some user in another thread found it in the woods or some shit

>Some user in another thread found it in the woods or some shit
lucky son of a bitch

Looks like they disappeared from amazon, but I did find one InWin A500 on ebay. That case has no side panel doors tho, and your choice in CPU coolers will be limited due to the placement of the power supply. There is an mATX variant I think that doesn't have those issues, but I don't remember the name of that model.

ebay.com/itm/201311634492

Shipping and import duties can make this case somewhat expensive.

In any case, you are going to want to add more ventilation. I would suggest adding multiple 120mm bottom vents and raising the case up. Modifying the top, front, or sides will be visible and reduce the sleeper-factor.

Just place some locks or cameras in your house. It's autistic if you don't like nostalgia.