Installed Windows XP Mode and now I'm running the SP3 version it comes with on Virtual PC...

Installed Windows XP Mode and now I'm running the SP3 version it comes with on Virtual PC. Is there anything useful or fun I can do with this?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!yYFnQJza!2lmvmnhbXuzxHtCtkN7HUA
youtube.com/watch?v=ofqhO-9CznM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is it even possible to run XP without an antivirus these days?

Yes. What the fuck you can live in windows 7 without a virus scanner. dont download shit. srsly, and check md5 sums

Well, I'm sure you can run it, but of course it wouldn't be very safe, if that's what you mean.
I'm not sure if I can even install any Windows Updates on this virtual machine, or if there's even any need since this is SP3 version and I'm not sure if Microsoft even pushes updates to XP anymore. So I've no idea if Avira + Windows Firewall has any effect on my security at all apart from common sense.

>Is there anything useful or fun I can do with this?
Read Muv Luv

I want to install XP on an old laptop and I just want to keep it as lightweight as possible.
Would having one administrator account that I use only to install trusted software and an ordinary account for everyday usage and web browsing (with adblocker and https everywhere) do the trick?

You can still fetch updates for Windows xp I just did it the other day in a vm. Might have to install internet explorer 8 first for it to work

>keep it as lightweight as possible

Have you considered WinFLP?

No, it will just shut down if you don't install one

install gentoo

You have to have SP3 i think. I did a fresh install on an old thinkpad last month and it wouldnt let me download updates until then

Play Pinball Space Cadet

I love that game. It works on 7, 8.1, 10, and under WINE

Have a copy
mega.nz/#F!yYFnQJza!2lmvmnhbXuzxHtCtkN7HUA

or just copy it off your own VM or something.

>Winamp
>Windows xp
>Firefox
How's that time bubble treating you?

Lubuntu. Period.

You'll stay up to date and lightweight, going to web with XP is asking to get hurt.

It wouldn't. You have hella unpatched vulnerabilities that not even an up to date browser can circumvent.

Oh, cool, thanks for that. I've been a linux user for the last decade, but this does bring back childhood memories.

Yeah, i have a XP VM just for old games from my childhood. One only runs on WINE though because xp doesnt support its ancient version of directx.

Just watch this fucking intro.
youtube.com/watch?v=ofqhO-9CznM

Doubt you can get the RAM usage for Lubuntu as low as XP. Why even use a DE at all if you want it lightweight?

Been running on the same install for 8 years now, with the occasional rootkit and MBAM scans, and I have gotten 0 results to this day.

So, yes.

car was asking for it lol

Yes, you're right you need sp3 first. But you could just use install media with sp3 integrated

You don't want it low though, you want it working as fast as possible. Low RAM usage != better performance. True that XP might work better if your specs are extremely low, but I still don't think it's worth risking near certain infection.

Oh and of course you don't NEED a DE, but it makes most people's lives much easier to use one. One of !# descendants might be a good alternative tho.

I know. I use the restore in place feature of the access IBM shit and that was SP1. I thought that only apple had that shit but IBM had it in 2003.

Fucking bitch to find the service packs these days because every microsoft page relating to XP is now the support discontinued shit which just tells you to install windows 10.

Ohboy.

the last tru Sup Forumsentooman

Download and install gentoo