/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/dracula/vim
a.uguu.se/GB5I8Zs76HhM_vim.tar.gz
github.com/romainl/Apprentice)
theregister.co.uk/2016/08/10/microsoft_secure_boot_ms16_100/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>resorting to personal attacks

I'm done with you.

You should be done with Sup Forums then.

I want to dual boot with windows 7 for purposes. Never tried it before, so it will be my first distro.
I'm torn between Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Manjaro and Antergos.
Is there any difference for a newcomer or am too undecided?

No, I live to fight another day.

As a newcomer I picked antergos and I regret nothing

Am I a bad person if I install MATE on Arch?

That question hurts. 3/10

are there any terminals that support 256 colors out of the box?

Try them all in a VM and decide yourself, but keep in mind not to choose the distro for the default looks, because you can basically install anything on everything.

> red pepper
> not green

youre a bad person regardless.

Most I know of do so. Which are you using currently?

I installed them all on VM (except for kubuntu), but as I never used linux before I didn't know what to do next. So I thought this would be resolved in daily use.
I'm so indecisive ;_;

just mate terminal

No idea about mate terminal. Does following work?
for code in {0..255}; do echo -en "\e[38;05;${code}m $code:"; done

How can I disable systemd's journal?

ran a perl script turns out I have 256 colors, no idea why some vim themes are fucking up

You need to enable it in vim first.

Oh shit, how do I do that?

set t_Co=256
or
let &t_Co=256
in your vimrc

Are there other router operating systems like OpenWRT? This one cannot be installed on my routers, so I need some other FREE SOFTWARE.

How can I emulate Apricity OS gnome on my arch install?

I can't find the theme & icons in the AUR.

still not working (see pic) heres the theme I'm using github.com/dracula/vim here the relevant part of my vimrc
src_id=13400
set t_Co=256
syntax enable
colorscheme dracula

set background=dark

still looks exactly the same

If you don't have OpenSSH or any SSH software installed, can someone make a remote login connection to your computer still? I'm not talking about malware, I'm talking just by SSH.

uploaded my entire vim configs if that helps
a.uguu.se/GB5I8Zs76HhM_vim.tar.gz

I'm out of ideas. ;_;

People can't magically login on your machine. There are however options for remote login that are not SSH (and not malware either)

Okay. I never wanted to use OpenSSH anyways so I uninstalled it. I can easily reinstall it from repos if I need it again.

I tried stopping the service, but it comes back when I reboot the system. Can someone help me?

Also, what do you mean by other options? What other options?

Does it work with xterm? You should have it already installed with X.

Honestly, just use a theme that isn't designed poorly. A well made Vim theme will work in (nearly) any terminal. (see github.com/romainl/Apprentice)

I tried your config and it looks fine in both my terminal and GVim. It must be your terminal's color settings. Is the background white by default? If so change it to whatever shade of grey/black looks best to you.

Even with OpenSSH installed no one can login as long as the daemon isn't running waiting for incoming connections

rlogin, telnet

dracula works AFAIK only with gvim, there are lots of themes made for gvim only

Just checked the code, it should work also in the terminal.

How is dracula designed pooly?

It doesn't work well in the terminal, as displayed by .

Hey guys
I've just ditched windows for good and installed debian.
Could you point me to some resources that would make me more proficient with my new OS

Not the themes fault. Read the source.

Just use it. How did you learn using Windows? By reading a guide?

I think you should play with it for a while to get used to its structure before going serious about it. It's a different OS you'll inevitably have some difficulties in the beginning, but it'll get comfy in some days.

Start by learning how to use the package manager, install other repositories, etc.

that's weird I just noticed I can't change the colorscheme for any of my terminals they're all just black on white

Well then they should be more explicit about it on their website. Nowhere does it say "Gvim only" or "wasn't designed for the terminal" or anything like that.

Shitty advice, Linux can be daunting if you don't know anything about it.

Ok , if you aren't familiar with the shell (aka terminal aka command line), read "The Linux Command Line" linked in the OP (it's free). Also the "Debian Wiki" and "Administrator's Guide" are full of useful info that people don't know because they're too lazy to RTFM. When you google your problems, include "debian" and one of those resources usually has you covered.

I am trying to configure the god-tier herbstluftwm and need to mask keybindings for conkeror. I cannot seem to get any of my rules to work, however.

Would anyone be able to post a simple example demonstrating a condition and consequence? It seems that not even tag= and fullscreen= are working.

I can post my config if need be

ok I installed terminator and now vims working correctly, thanks guys

It works on the terminal and on gvim, what are you even trying?

Please avoid using the term “google” as a verb, meaning to search for something on the internet. “Google” is just the name of one particular search engine among others. We suggest to use the term “search the web” or (in some contexts) just “search”. Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy.

Why would you want to disable it?

It's useless in my case. I just want to run what's really necessary.

CLEARLY IT DOESN'T WORK WELL FOR TERMINALS BASED ON . HERE'S A FUCKING PICTURE OF THE SOURCE CODE FOR YOU TO SHOW HOW IT DOESN'T SPECIFY TERMINAL COLORS. SURE IT "WORKS" IN THE TERMINAL, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE INCONSISTENT DOGSHIT. I don't care if you're baiting me.

>Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy.
I honestly tried searx and other alternatives, but they all suck dick compared to Google. I don't care if my search data for weird fetishes is out there somewhere if it means I get the ultra-convenience of google and all its built-in utilities.

Stopping stops a service, if you want to disable it you'd have to disable it or it will come back after reboot if it was enabled before.

Not the themes fault. It obviously worked for you: still don't know what you're on about. Also stop yelling like a girl.

It does specify terminal colors. Are you even able to read your own pic?

I am you shitlord. I have nothing more to say to you, except that you're a moron.
Yeah, like

Ah, I didn't express myself correctly. I did use disable on it, but it still comes back at reboot. I assume the system is being asked to enable the service on init. How could I check it if that's the case?

>I am (You)#
lol

Also confirmed for not being able to read vims colorscheme syntax.
cterm = is terminal colors
gui = gui colors

Even a monkey could figure this out.

Type man intro. Read stuff. Keep learning stuff.

kek, never knew about this after 5 years of GNU/Linux. Saved.

The interwebs, which would tell you that you can't simply disable it.

Is that true? Searching the web didn't give me a single definitive answer before. I remember finding something about masking the service, but I'm not sure how to do it (or if that would solve the issue at all).

Leaving this here because I know some of you will appreciate it and the thread I started has received no attention. Anyways, theregister.co.uk/2016/08/10/microsoft_secure_boot_ms16_100/
Microsoft leaked the golden keys that unlock Windows-powered tablets, phones and other devices sealed by Secure Boot – and is now scrambling to undo the blunder.

These skeleton keys can be used to install non-Redmond operating systems on locked-down computers. In other words, on devices that do not allow you to disable Secure Boot even if you have administrator rights – such as ARM-based Windows RT tablets – it is now possible to sidestep this block and run, say, GNU/Linux or Android.

What's more, it is believed it will be impossible for Microsoft to fully revoke the leaked keys.

And perhaps most importantly: it is a reminder that demands by politicians and crimefighters for special keys, which can be used by investigators to unlock devices in criminal cases, will inevitably jeopardize the security of everyone.

I have Awesome on Arch and it displays the time 5 hours ahead and idk why bc I'm using the correct timezone.
Plz help its been bugging me for a while and i cant figure out how to fix it :c

open terminal -> enter date
Is it correct?

post a screenshot showing both the time you're referring to, and a terminal you've run "timedatectl" in

The Universal and RTC time are somewhat correct( off my 2 mins) but its using the local time which is the correct location( Los Angeles area) but the incorrect time.

Current UTC is 21:17

are you dual booting windows by chance?

windows sets the RTC (the physical clock hardware) to local time by default, whereas linux sets it to UTC by default, this can cause problems when dual booting

assuming you don't care if the clock is wrong up until you're connected to the internet, you can simply enable NTP in linux to have it sync the clock over the internet automatically (i see it's off right now)
sudo timedatectl set-ntp 1

oh yea, there's also "set-local-rtc" to match windows
i personally rarely use windows, so i opted to just disable NTP in windows and not care that the clock is wrong while in windows

i am dual boot with win7. I've heard you also have to boot back into windows every so oftern or one of them will have an incrrect clock, is that true, if it is do you know why.

Thanks btw, will it take a restrt to process?

>will it take a restrt to process?
no, it should be almost immediate (your tray clock might only update every minute, however)

setting linux to local time might be a better idea (well, you should have NTP enabled anyway for better accuracy)
sudo timedatectl set-local-rtc 1
this will make linux treat the RTC the same way windows does, so they will never conflict

there is a way to make windows use UTC, like linux, but it's not really supported

Read the guide about dual-booting windows on the wiki

>Windows doesn't use UTC

Only Microsoft could be this retarded.

So if I already have Linux installed on my entire disk and want to install Windows 7, what is the best method of doing this? Shrinking my root partition in Gparted, or using Windows 7 installer? Also, how would I boot back into Linux once GRUB gets overwritten. Please help

Once windows is installed should I boot into a rescue cd and edit the grub.cfg file and then chroot into the linux distro and run "grub-mkconfig

> Recommend Linux to friends
> 'It's really good you guys, it just werks!'
> it does just werk
> right up until people are watching
> then my laptop throws every obstacle it can at me
> kill self

Why? I love Linux but if this keeps happening I don't think I'll ever convince anyone to use it.

I'm thinking of installing Arch.

personally i would (and have done);
- make room for and create an ntfs-formatted partition
- run qemu with the disk and windows dvd attached
- install windows to the new partition
- close the vm
- reinstall grub
that's it, don't even need to leave linux at all

>I don't think I'll ever convince anyone to use it.
So what?

What's the appeal of Debian?

What was Sup Forums's first Linux?

> Fedora Core 2

A pretty bad wifi connection on my laptop since I installed Debian, but else this is really cool.

I just got manjaro with xfce (first time using something other than ubuntu+unity)

I don't really feel at home with this enviroment, should I get KDE instead, and if so how?

should mention, if your disk has any windows-supported partitions on it already (fat32, ntfs, exfat, etc) unmount them in linux before running the VM!
windows will mount them, and mounting something read-write twice is a bad idea!

if you're not sure how to run qemu, this will do;
sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -m 512M --enable-kvm -hda /dev/sdz -cdrom ~/windows.iso -boot d
(where sdz is is the disk you're installing to)

>Go on kikebook page for my university class.
>People discussing computers and software for upcoming year.
>No thinkpads.
>Tons of macfaggery.
>'Hey guys windows 10 or OSX'.

Thus far I've resisted the urge to tell people to install arch.

I've come to realize that millenials are somehow worse with technology than the generation before them.

Eventually you suppress the desire to help, and you just cynically look past their normie ways.

>Debian VM for a couple weeks.
>Then Arch only.

Little help:
I bought a laptop with windows 7, but I want to dual boot with my old laptop's HDD without reinstalling linux.

The laptop has uefi and secure boot, the distro is mint. Is it possible to install grub/wtv without completely reinstalling linux?

SimplyMEPIS 2004.4

-- and yes, UI's have gone downhill since KDE 3

What should I put on this poor little thing?

every generation is bad with technology. even though computers are so ubiquitous nowadays that nearly every household has one, most people can barely use them outside of opening their pre-installed browser and going to facebook or amazon.

Why are uploads updates so incredibly slow on my manjaro machine?

It took me 20 seconds to download 3 mb when it should have taking me less than one. I've run speedtests and all so nothing wrong on my end.

Gentoo, Arch Linux, or Fedora.

My bad, I was connected to a terrible mirror.

But my generation has had so much time and experience with it.

I went to a pretty swanky school, and they had us using Microshaft Office by 3rd grade, a Photoshop clone by 4th grade, and we could even make shitty flash animations by 5th grade.

It was amazing to see that years later the same kids didn't even know how to navigate the menus in Word.

I moved schools in highschool, and at the new school everyone was required to buy a macbook. The school installed monitoring software and locked the bootloader. They also had downloadable scripts that would check things like hard-disk space, because people were literally too inept to right click their hard-disk and view its properties.

I know people that don't know what an ethernet cable is for.

I'm pretty sure millenials are the worst when it comes to technology. (The only group that comes close are the Greatest Generation, but generally they're willing to learn, and don't need to use technology as they're all long-retired).

Has anyone tried installing Arch on hyper-v with windows 10?

I can't seem to get my display to be bigger than 800x600

> not only does Batman run Linux, he uses a tiling WM

How's it feel to have your life validated? Feels pretty good to me.

current tech is just too simple/basic
more and more programs are hiding away anything remotely uncommon, and newcomers aren't forced to learn anything

That's true actually.
>Have the unfortunate experience of using safari.
>Try to save image off of kikestagram.
>No inspect element option.
>Have to enable developer mode.

Also here's another great story I'd like to share with you guys.

I went to my local Apple store with a friend a couple days ago. He wanted one of those charging cases for his phone and we couldn't find one anywhere else.

>I ask Apple store worker how many milliamp hours the case is.
>She doesn't know what mAh is.
>I tells her its basically how much battery is in the battery.
>She googles her own product, because there was no info on the box.
>She says its 600 mAh or something like that, and shows me the amazon store page on her iphone.
>The manufacturer of the case is 'mophie'.
>She says 'mophie, I wonder if that's what the m stands for?'
>Say thanks, leave store.

How are people this fucking dumb?

This. Nobody understands technology because they don't have to and have no incentive to.

I've had people call Linux shit because you have to install and configure it yourself.

> have unfortunate experience of having to boot into windows 10 to update my bios
> we're setting everything up for you
> umm...
> we're setting everything up for you

>Forward slash