Why do you not use Debian?

Give me one valid reason to not be using the best OS in the world, Debian.

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/devel/testing.en.html
debian.org/releases/sid/index.en.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no games

The logo is kinda gay

shitty font rendering compared to ubuntu

It's incredibly out of date

>implying I'm not using it
:^)

I don't want to be raped by the police and force to hero

Im not a server

This

so much this

everything works, but the real world problems appearing are too unreal.
you are like one in a million (if at all), no wonder all pointers then point on you.

bleeding edge != up to date.

your just a beta tester for bugs and glitches.

>no https downloads available
>apt-get not encrypted, manual configuration to encrypt updates nevertheless tears open new vulns

???

but I do use it

The setup freezes all the fucking time

>meh for servers
>meh for clients

Remind me why to use debian when there is stuff like linux mint or CentOs.

The only use is for raspberry pi with raspbian.

Code of Conduct

If you don't have your own internet connection, your own router on your own desk, it's not for you.

If you haven't realised this yet, you are basically naked.

Of course you can download old ISOs via torrent, so from some pajeet or neckbeard which are willing to upload too. But not everybody wants that. You can use jigdo (the autism jigsaw puzzle software 2000 (TM)), but it's not encrypted either.

The last official statement of why they don't encrypt by the debian team is a few years old and was basically the message that they are too poor for encryption because muh workload on survurrr.

Also they are autists when it comes to licensing.
Steam, a proprietary DRM ridden software is availble in the repos (by creating an open source downloader for the closed source downloader of the closed source steam client, which is then used for downloading closed source and DRMd software), but the user has to read the manifesto and act according to their 'code of conduct'.

When you need to contact them for stuff that actually matters, they act like hard-bitten donkeys and feel insulted by being in the wrong.

When you contact other devs, people in the ubuntu or the mint profect for example, you get a dialog. In debian you don't.
They don't even allow you to fix typos in their wiki.

>borken is so much funnehier than broken lmao
fuck off, you eat yellow snow and everybody that knows, can see that.

Even the founder an hero'd himself. It really can't be that good of a life you get with debian then.

PS: Try using adobe flash with it, lmao.
>it just werx!
>oh noez, something "borked" or "crippled"

not rolling

>be me installing debian
>monitors don't work due to shitty amd drivers
>get that fixed
>try to install kde but it lags like shit due to it being versions behind
>get that fixed
>try installing some games with wine but it's all too out of date to play anything remotely new

nice distro

What games do you want??

>Free/nonproprietary ones
apt search 0ad

>Steam
apt edit-sources
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt install steam

>Windows exclusives
I dunno, use wine or something, it might work.

Why use Arch when there is Manjaro?

shitty installer. community sort of sucks. pretty old. ubuntu has m ore to offer

And this matters why when everything downloaded in Debian is authenticated using signatures? You are authenticating your initial download, right?

Debian is like RHEL, but without any of the things that make RHEL worth it.

>imoplying RHEL is worth anything

Because other people in the network know what you are about to do, which is not a problem for debian. It's more of a server OS, I guess. And most servers don't run hidden, they run publicy visible, so that they can serve data.
But some people might not want to do that.

Sadly, the debian team does not want to see and/or acknowledge that.

Signatures can be faked, btw.
Every cool kid in school knows such things.
Shitstorms usually be the results.

Still using it, but more and more unhappy with the stubborn community.

>Intel and AMD implement encryption
>Windows implements encryption
>Apple implements encryption
>even fucking Sup Forums is available encrypted via SSL
>iPhones are encrypted, the OS is bought and put into your digital and real life home in an encrypted state
>Androids can be encrypted, updates are encrypted
>debian fails this step

>B-But we have fountain pens!
No.

>tfw clean install just today

best feel

So you don't know the difference between authentication and integrity. Gotcha. No wonder you're confused.

>Signatures can be faked, btw.

Yeah? Go fake the Debian signing key. I won't be waiting.

>It's more of a server OS
>literally falling for dumb Sup Forums memes

I think he's talking about secrecy.

systemd

No, it's seriously out of date. Debian doesn't support my motherboard's firmware. I literally couldn't restart my PC.

Thanks for clearing that up, I just learned about it and understand terry davis' CIA nigger terminoligy now.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm on about.

debian is available without it. But then I systemd' it (transformed it into a systemd based architecture using the wiki entry), since then CIA niggers have to cope with systemd, I guess.

>>literally falling for dumb Sup Forums memes
>implying you don't

>I literally couldn't restart my PC
Try pressing the restart button on the PC case, usually that literally helps.

>>I literally couldn't restart my PC
>Try pressing the restart button on the PC case, usually that literally helps.
I'm sorry I pointed out a valid flaw in your OS.

That is nice to hear!

Recording and of course games.

That's why Linux isn't worth my time. I have better things to do than fiddle with my desktop OS these days.

>literally Pajeet-tier girl
>red is the color of sluts
>swirly logo for flushing it down the loo

dubs confirm

>beautiful blue eyed Aryan girl
>blue is a pure color
>logo strong, like the pyramids or Eiffel tower

>Pajeet tier
>toilet

Pick one.

One valid reason?

/etc/portage/patches

done

What would you use instead?

Exactly!

The future will tell.

it's just a fucking drawing you autistic fuck

apt is too slow

Because there is Devuan.

dumb trollposter

Not bleeding edge, therefore worthless as a desktop OS.

>just use testing or unstable dude
No thanks.
>An important thing to note, both for regular users and the developers of testing, is that security updates for testing are not managed by the security team.
debian.org/devel/testing.en.html
>Please note that security updates for "unstable" distribution are not managed by the security team. Hence, "unstable" does not get security updates in a timely manner.
debian.org/releases/sid/index.en.html

Thanks for beta testing for us, user.

Bleeding edge != beta.

The software people use on Windows is "bleeding edge" (i.e. the latest stable version from upstream).

speaking of which

Why use Manjaro when there is Antergos?

Fedora is literally shit.

>Bleeding edge technology is a category of technologies so new that they could have a high risk of being unreliable and lead adopters to incur greater expense in order to make use of them.[1][2] The term bleeding edge was formed as an allusion to the similar terms "leading edge" and "cutting edge". It tends to imply even greater advancement, albeit at an increased risk because of the unreliability of the software or hardware.[3]

>Bleeding edge computer software, especially open source software, is especially common. Indeed, it is usual practice for open-source developers to release new, bleeding edge, versions of their software fairly frequently, sometimes in a rather unpolished state to allow others to review, test, and, in many cases, contribute to it (Beta testing). Therefore, users who want features that have not been implemented in older, more stable releases of the software are able to choose the bleeding-edge version. In such cases, the user is willing to sacrifice stability, reliability, or ease of use for the sake of increased functionality.[6]
Hmmmm.

The description of "Aryan" could well apply to both characters.

Yes, your picture with you drew on sure convinced me.

Thanks. I was equally impressed by your wikipedia copypasta.

You mean the ones that are sourced by reputable people?

kek

I'm so used to the Arch package management and repositories. I tried Debian once but after ~2 months I just couldn't stand not having pacman. It's a very stable distribution though, and I would recommend it to anyone. You can download a .deb file for just about anything that makes free software. I just hate getting on web browsers just to visit different sites for different packages. Synaptic was alright, but I just missed pamac.

Well Arch is more comfy for me. If I wanted LTS packages I'd just use Ubuntu, which I do as well

You have no clue what the word 'literally' means. But go ahead and tell me what you don't like in Fedora.

/thread

The best for the best.

I do use debian and its great

>games
Off yourself.

If I installed it, the horrible out of date software wouldn't even be able to open my documents properly.

Just install updated software. It's not a big deal.

Because the packages are extreeeeeeemley out of date.

>inb4 bleeding edge is for beta testers
The packages in Debian are from like 4 years ago. That's ridiculous. This is a server distro, nothing more.

can i get that wallpaper?

Install gentoo

faggot/10 bait

Because Mint is better.

I think this is a worthy question for this thread. I used debian for a while but I wanted something else, which of these two I should go for?

Fedora with KDE or Ubuntu with KDE? and why?

Because it's title as such has been usurped by something immeasurably better.

Install gentoo with KDE, then you'll realize the piece of bloated shit KDE is. Just as shit as Gnome, but Gnome is even worse than KDE because KDE at least works.

Why you guys want me to install gentoo so much, every fucking single time.

Also why you hate KDE? Any better options? Because between gnome, xfce, cinnamon and mate I prefer KDE.

>He's still using a DE
Welcome to Sup Forums

>answers with memearrows.
I'm serious here, why every fucking time no one on Sup Forums can explain why something is bad and instead either answers with memes or anime avatars?

Because any DE is bloat. xfce is semi-tolerated, but anything else is widely viewed as shit.

>Desktops must be meming edge
How can we always tell what distro these folks use?

Why use Arch, Manjaro, or Antergos when there is literally any other distro?

Because Arch is much better.

Good post

I might as well install Blublubluntu which has more up-to-date versions of said packages.

I'm using Fedora instead of Debian even though I think I like Debian better because if I use Debian I will use Stable and all the DEs in Stable are old and if I'm using Debian Stable I will use GNOME 3.14 but if I'm using GNOME 3.14 on Debian Stable I might as well use GNOME 3.20 on Fedora because I don't want to use Arch or Opensuse or Ubuntu. ... ?? .

>I want to use old software with hacked on fixes because my OS is too old and crotchety to dare attempt an actual update with new features, better performance, and real progress
I bet you use Windows XP.

see
/thread

>to hero
>an hero

fucking summer in this bitch

>real world problems
do tell

Circle of fucks complete: O

...because it's not on my computer. Can't use something I don't care to have, no?

Seriously obnoxious dev community and outdated software

I don't use Debian because if I set it up it would be Ubuntu with 10x the time and effort.

>might work

how about no

THIS

Why is debian such a bitch to setup?

Ubuntu, mint, opensuse they are all better at it.

Because Ubuntu has a checkbox in the installer to enable non-free repos wheras Debian requires me to uncomment the mon-free repo line in the repo list and I can't be assed with all that command line nerd shit.