Sup Sup Forums I am looking to convert to the Linux Master Race, but need some inspiration on what desktop environment...

Sup Sup Forums I am looking to convert to the Linux Master Race, but need some inspiration on what desktop environment, theme, and all of that to use. Care to post screenshots, and what you are rocking?

Other urls found in this thread:

askvg.com/mac4lin-make-your-linux-desktop-look-like-mac-os-x-leopard/
linux.softpedia.com/blog/windows-10-accurate-theme-released-for-almost-all-major-linux-desktops-496831.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

nah

Openbox WM, tint2 panel up top, conky config on the bottom, numix circle icon pack. Just install and start tweaking it to your liking OP, copying someone else's config just isn't going to feel as comfy as doing it yourself.

>Care to post screenshots, and what you are rocking?
Is this the new desktop thread?

dirty pleb here

Archfag here. I recommend you consider what it is you are going to be using your computer for before you dive in to linux. If you are gonna just shit post, you can just install a flavor of Ubuntu based on your tastes or hardware. If you still have Windows in your heart, LinuxMint and Cinnamon can be quite comfy. If you plan to program, I'd recommend Arch, Debian, or even Fedora. If you want to do Enterprise stuffs, OpenSuse, RHEL, or just plain Fedora should be enough. Just read some wikis, or check out the Desktop threads at /wg/ or /w/ for inspiration.

Using xfce with Chicago95 theme.

I have a background in programming and web development. Also, getting to know Linux a bit better would also be useful since the job I start in 2 weeks will be SO much easier if I have used it tirelessly

Ubuntu or Fedora if you want it to "just work" (c). Arch is cool if you value bleeding edge over stability. Gentoo is a meme.

t. former archfag

What distro/desktop/theme are you running?

>Fedora
>Gnome
>Adwaita

I recommend taking a look at the Arch wiki if you want to learn more about Linux. Even if you dont install Arch, the wiki could be helpful for most Linux problems you could have not concerning your package manager.

Cheers I'll give it a read whilst procrastinating at work :)

if you want to try some of le lesser known distros you could find antiegros or deepin linux, i tried deepin and it comes with spotify and steam pre-installed

Average.Top bar is ugly. Can't see gtk apps btw.
Ugly.
Almost nice. Clock font in the top right corner are looks unhinted.
Ugly. Break away from 20-th century asap.
Ugly. Especially bottom panel. Try installing some themes on you shitty gnome 3. Not that it can help somehow...
Fucking great.
Just ugly.
You're pathetic guys.

you're wrong; they're actually all ugly and bad

good stuff

hi jordan!

Don't

>I recommend taking a look at the Arch wiki if you want to learn more about manually writing configuration files.

FIxed for you

I just pour the Linux unto the disc drive

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

You do realise there is no standard themes, people make it so because it caters to their preference. If your idea of "not ugly" is how windows or OSX looks you might want to look at the ones that pretend to be one of them
askvg.com/mac4lin-make-your-linux-desktop-look-like-mac-os-x-leopard/
linux.softpedia.com/blog/windows-10-accurate-theme-released-for-almost-all-major-linux-desktops-496831.shtml

download something easy that just wekrs like mint or ubuntu, see if it meets your needs

then download an os that's actually stable. as a rule, try vanilla oses that aren't weird secondary or tertiary fan projects. most of the big league linuxes are good, like fedora, debian, opensuse arch, etc.

:'(

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Debian with Xfce using Flat Studio Dark, menu bars are hidden, at the top left is program menu, sound mixer, and clock. Bottom is for lock/suspend/shutdown on the left, with notification area on the right.

>I am looking to convert to the Linux Master Race, but need some inspiration on what desktop environment, theme, and all of that to use
Don't run before you walk kiddo.

desu this poster is correct.
Just start with something mainstream, decide what you like/don't like and start researching what you'd like to change to from there. Odds are you're going to hate 99% of the choices, and be able to stand the other 1%. Once you find that 1 in 100 setup you'll begin tweaking it to go from "standing it" to "evangelizing it"

Pic related is mine. Debian testing with KDE. I'm not sure how I feel about KDE. It looks okay out of the box, but I haven't really been able to make it look "great" like xfce. kwin is nice, but buggy. You could probably get a similar experience by using xfce or mate + openbox/i3

I agree with these posters though, and that's why I recommend you throw a dart and go with MATE or xfce. They are pretty easy to make look "good" On my arch laptop, I run MATE with arc-darker theme and numix circle icons and honestly it looks nice. Not "super edgy terminal hacker" nice, but it's better than anything on Windows I've seen.

You can always go back to something you like if you don't like it. You're free to experiment, that's why Linux is cool that way.

PS I have no clue what is wrong with my terminal

Stock Xfce, minus the bottom panel and plus a wallpaper.

why make it complicated

You will just go back to Wincuck in a week.

I would normally recommend ubuntu to a noob but since 16.04 has it's share of bugs and the gnome software center is a turd, You can still install software manually in it via apt-get but if you are new you may want to avoid the terminal. i would say maybe try OpenSuse or Mageia Or PcLINUXOS.

You could also try Fedora if you don't mind going blind looking at the ugly fonts.

Avoid Mint because it's ran by idiots.

xfce doesn't support openGL vysnc so watching movies on it or doing anything graphical is a nightmare, you end up with a lot of screen tearing.

use something gnome based like unity or cinnamon or gnome itself if you can stomach it.

You'll just have to experiment and see what you like, there are a shit ton of options and most of them suck balls

I use gentoo, compiling doesn't take that long (pic related), and you get USE flags. USE flags are basically like installing a package with or without support for something, ex: say you want to build rtorrent without xmlrpc support, or ssh without X forwarding support, etc, gentoo provides a super easy way to manage all that. Another plus is gentoo lets you have multiple versions of the same
library installed and you can mix bleeding and old packages and still be officially supported.

That's actually pretty cool

good morning desktop thread~

Stock awesome, never cared to theme it at all.

While it's a great choice for myself, it's probably not a good first guess for what you will want.

Try KDE.

Try kububtu 16.04

Install it, go into the settings and use the dark theme. Reboot into the nicest modern looking out of box os.

same config, brotha
whats that tint theme?

LOL LOOK AT THAT BLUESCREEN HAHAHAHA XDDDDDDDD

>Xfce

Is your name will? You didn't blur so good