I notice that CS runs the gamut from a purely watered down math degree to a codemonkey degree taught exclusively in...

I notice that CS runs the gamut from a purely watered down math degree to a codemonkey degree taught exclusively in Java and VB.net only.

What are the tell-tale signs of a worthless CS program?

I once had a friend in CS have a web-design class where they weren't allowed to use CSS.

I often cringe at the CS grads... :^)

CS is a meme.

Yeah it really depends on the college as to what exactly they teach you. Take a look at software engineering, atleast where I am from, it focuses more on actual programming then the theoretical side of it.

bump for interest

Stay away from any school that teaches their curriculum in a single programming language.

Make sure the course offering is well rounded. Ideally you will be exposed to at least 3 languages, data structures and algorithms, programming language concepts, OOP, relational databases, basic computer architecture, operating systems, networking, and security. Some are obviously more important than others.

>C#
>If any lecturer ever says something like "theory is not important"

>no mandatory mathematics

computer science is just a Programming degree these days at every university that isn't worth going to. just go to a real university if you want to learn actual computer science (like how to make better processors, or how to design better languages, or solve IPC problems.) CS or mathematics gets you chronicled in the encyclopedia. Programming gets you a car.

I already have a car. What if I want to do things that require a triple-digit iq?

if you're asking you don't have the requisite IQ

>how to make better processors, or how to design better languages, or solve IPC problems
One of these is not like the others.

hence the keyword "or".

Wow, low IQ and poor reading comprehension. Really setting yourself up for success there, champ.

My curriculum is kinda like this plus compiler theory, AI, UI design and some IT courses.

I'm not the other guy. Making better processors is not really CS territory, mate. It's more EE or CE.

Not him but would you call Turing a computer scientist or a mathematician or an electrical engineer?

I dunno, but my grandpa's degree was in mathematics from UC Berkeley and he wrote software for mainframes using fortran

If you want to learn a specific technology, buy access to a training website like pluralsight. You go to college to learn algorithms.

If your school wastes time teaching you languages, your school sucks.

>learning cache conscious programming
>course requires use of nonfree intel compiler

The degree of which you speak is called computer engineering.

Fair enough.

"Better processors" is super vague. It could mean computational model, it could mean algorithmic changes in branch prediction or ISA implementation, it could mean fabrication changes, it could mean component changes to allow for better tick synchronization across a larger die, etc, etc.

It could mean that user is talking out of his ass.