Matlab on Linux

Good evening Sup Forums,
does anyone here know how to get Matlab for Linux, for free...??
Thanks in advance

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MATLAB_Programming/Differences_between_Octave_and_MATLAB
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Have you finished C?

Yes, I do. It is called Octave.

fucking cram that shit into some wine application idk

hope this post was helpful

this ma boi

too bad Matlab is one of the best written applications ever and everything else pales in comparison; shit's expensive

>His university doesn't give out keys for matlab

top kek

Monitoring this thread though in case I need it when I graduate (although I'm more inclined to just wine that shit up or run it in a VM, or just fucking boot into windows)

(or just use python)

why not this?

that's not exactly, strictly speaking, legal.

You want it for free

who gives a heck

live in the moment

you fucktard, unless you have keys for it and someone else is paying for it, you can't fucking get it for free unless you pirate it

If I wanted to live in the moment I wouldn't be using matlab now would I?

Do you happen to know wether it has a good Image Processing Toolkit??
Yep, it sucks to be from a developing country, studying in a (relatively) cheap university (although the best at a national level)
Sweet!! I'll be looking up to that senpai, thanks

Sign up for coursera's machine learning course with Andrew Ng. Comes with a Matlab license.

Came here to post this. Octave is the correct answer.

> Matlab
> Shitty teaching aid hacked together in the 70 and kluged since then
> Not worthless trash you use because your university/employer requires it

Matlab made me angry at least twice a day when I was using it at work. If you possibly can, you should use Python+Numpy or R.

Octave has an image processing package called, very creatively, 'image'. I've only used it for some fairly basic image processing, but it werks for that.

you don't mang. you just use NumPy

Just use NumPy/the other anaconda packages

shit's easy DAWG

>Grab a MatLab Unix torrent out there.
>Follow instruction.
>?
>Profit.
>Consider suicide.

use octave

alternatively download cracked matlab and run it in wine. would probably be miserable to use through wine though.

It's easier to just download the UNIX torrent it's still on TPB I think.

Unless someone is forcing you to use MATLAB, use Python.

What OS, window manager, etc?

>R
my nigga

Not him but that looks like LXDE. Also,
> xorg.conf

Also the "pupzip" icon strongly hints that this is PuppyLinux.

No wonder it looked so comfy! That takes me back to being a poorfag 11-12 year old, fucking around with our old computers and running Puppy.

GNU Octave, Python, or R. Worth learning all three. Also Scilab, I guess.

Unless you specifically need Matlab for some reason, in which case you can afford it.

Downloading Puppy Tahrpup 6.0.5. This is gonna be fun. It may revive the shitbox I have running Mint.

Free and legal? No. Unless your uni hands out keys.
Paid and legal? www.matlab.com or whatever their site is.
Free and not-legal? Grab a torrent of it for Linux.
Paid and not.legal? Go buy it AND pirate it at the same time.

Please use the word >>gratis

Uni's put up official ISOs (anyone can download it), then you get a crack. I never tried it since I finally gave up on Matlab. Your uni should also let you run it through Citrix Receiver or some-such.

Octave is shit; funny troll. I type `why` and it returns an error. Just wow. If you could switch to Octave, you could probably just switch to Python. Anaconda handles all the messy stuff for you in the background. Srs it's great.

Pirating Matlab is a pain in the ass and not really worth it.

Either you have a license (i.e. being student or working professionaly with it) or you don't really need Matlab and can just use Octave or R.

I use both in my day to day work and I just wanted to make a two points.

>Matlab syntax is far superior to Numpy.
Don't take this the wrong way — I am not saying Numpy syntax is bad — its just that it is difficult to complete with a syntax designed from the ground up to be as close as possible to mathematical notation when you are using a scripting language.

>Matlab's backslash operator shits all the Numpy.
Not much to add here other than Matlab's backslash operator is excellent (although a blackbox).

I am not shitting on Numpy, which is excellent too especially considering it is free!

R is shit for anything outside of stats although it is excellent in that area so I'm shitting on it either, I just hate when are talking to someone who tells you R is better than MATLAB or Numpy purely because they learned R first and then try to use one of the others and hate on it.

Depends what it's being used for. Matlab is pretty useful for DSP

use GNU octave, not matlab

? Maybe in Loonix. In Windows is piss easy.

Has anyone got a book about using C as a numerical tool like Matlab?

Numerical Recipes. Be warned that its full of questionably dodge code though.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

The only reason to use matlab is if you have to use a bunch of your advisor's code that was written in it. If not, run far, far away. It is a dogshit language.

Python/Numpy/Scipy is much better designed without 30 years of cruft. Also, it's a real language. And it's free as in RMS.

Octave is a worthless pile of shit that is literally a hundred times slower than the alternatives. It is also not quite compatible with Matlab in subtle and unpredictable ways. That is worse than being uncompatible.

I'd much rather have my programming language look like a programming language than like mathematical notation. Because that's what it is.

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MATLAB_Programming/Differences_between_Octave_and_MATLAB
The differences exist. In most cases it's Octave allowing something MATLAB doesn't. Which may or may not be a problem depending on whether you ever want to touch MATLAB ever again. I don't.

Also, your claim that it's a hundred times slower is misleading. The language itself may be a little slower, but Octave calls into LAPACK just like Matlab and Numpy do, so the actual matrix operations should have the same performance.