C#

What is Sup Forums's opinion on C#? Is it a viable language? How does it compare to Java? What about game-dev applications?

Other urls found in this thread:

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff647734.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

c# is a shit

A language for pajeets.

It's nice for what it is.

Yes, for o Windows environment it's one of the best languages to use.

It's syntax is similar to Java but there's a lot of things that differs from it.

It's used by the Unity engine to make games, you should check it out if that's what you want.

There's really no point learning it unless you have to work on an existing C# codebase. If you want to make something quickly, use JS or Python. If you need uncompromising performance, use Rust.

no that's java

If you're making backends or web apps, go with Elixir (built on top of Erlang). I recommend it.

Amazing, but Microsoft still has some things to do to convince people to use it outside of Windows for serious things (that are not Xamarin).

I'd love to do ASP.net instead of PHP, but the faggit webhoster bastards make that impossible.

I use C# to develop quick and dirty applications with a UI at work to do really simple things for the production know-nothings to use.

I prefer C# over java because of various things, but mostly because whenever I have to do anything remotely low level in java I trip over a lot of odd barriers, as well as other crap like external libaries being exceedingly unreliable for no discernible reason other than potentially coded by the meme of pajeets or college CS grads

It's good for prototyping.

>rust
Fuck off memester.

C#/C++ masterrace

It's the best language there is.

They are almost exactly the same and you can get marketable skills with either. So do both.

With .NET core released and being fully cross-platform, Java has no reason to exist anymore.

>minecraft

It's C for children and lesser skilled professionals.

Its poo coated in gold to not scare white people
Use Go/Scala/Swift

That's like saying ruby has no reason to exist because python exists and does everything better.

But... that statement is... correct

>t. professional fizzbuzz developer

>python
>rust
Nigger spotted

kek'd

As a language, it's sound, and it works well as an embedded language in Unity. For webdev though, it will tie you into using ASP.Net, the CLR and Visual Studio. ASP.Net is bloated, unportable shite. Don't let whispers of Mono fool you. For webdev, you're better off learning Java. But you have better options.

Even PHP is a better option.

Isn't Microsoft rewriting Minecraft in C#?

Why do you recommend it? That just read like zealous bullshit.

Why would they do this?

C# is a pretty underrated langauge.
It's very concise and good for scripting but also OK for bigger projects.

Python is a subset of Ruby, dude.

Not trying to bash Python, it's great, but it's intended to have only as much syntax as necessary.

Also you can always just use backticks in your Ruby code to use python from the shell whenever you want:

# FILE: calc.py
import json
import numpy
import sys

data = numpy.array(json.loads(sys.argv[1]))
# some calculations here..

# FILE: example.rb
def invoke_python_code
result = `python calc.py [[0,0,0,0],[0,1,1,0],[0,1,1,1],[0,0,0,0]]`
end
[/cool]

Note that the last statement use backtics(ยด), not single quotes (').

Definitely prefer Java, but both C# & Java have their place and can give you nice cushy careers.

Java is used either in enterprise applications (Tomcat) or embedded devices (Android). C# is used with Unity, WPF, and as such also presents a huge portion of market share in underlying technology.

So choose your own adventure I suppose.

>proprietary and platform specific
into the trash

>If you need uncompromising performance, use Rust
Don't drink the cool aid, Rust compiles slow AND runs slow no matter what the SJWs are saying

It's only for mobile/console

Source or STFU.

it's C for the .NET framework, meaning it's absolute garbage, write in REAL C

C and C# are completely different..

Or does this look like C to you?
Array.ForEach(Directory.GetFiles(@"c:\MyDir\"),
delegate(string path) { File.Delete(path); });

>Is it a viable language?
Absolutely.

>How does it compare to Java?
+ Tasty syntactical sugar.
- Some of the aforementioned sugar actively enables shitty patterns.
- Non-Windows environments are still second-class citizens and likely always will be.

>What about game-dev applications?
Can't personally comment, but it seems to be pretty popular and well-liked via Unity.

>js
>rust
goddamn the meme shills are out in force today

This desu. Fuck Microsoft.

>If you want to make something completely unmaintainable, use JS or Python.
FTFY.

>inb4 "but I never have to refactor because my code is perfect the first time :^)"

Better not show this guy LINQ otherwise he might get a stroke

Where do I learn C# online, but not from books? I know syntax, but not how to use it outside of console stuff.

Also, is C# best used in conjunction with MySQL?

MVA and MSDN has everything you'll ever need

Yeah gotta be carfull..
If you lived in the matrix for too long, it's hard to accept that there could be a differnt world.

You programm in C - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You try C# - you stay in Wonderland and Iit will show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes..

Is it free even if I have pirated windows?
I also downloaded VS community, but now it's asking me for a license, what do?

the microsoft version of java, they literally multiplied pajeet with pajeet and Sup Forums actually likes it hahaha. c# is garbage, as bloated and verbose as c++ with none of the performance, stuck on the microsoft clr. DO NOT use this crap, even shitty java is 10x better than this crap

What do you use then?

SQL Server is the obvious choice for a DB.
google about WPF (the new windows forms) for UI info.

>>Python is a subset of Ruby, dude.

What a fucking idiot.
It's a different language. If you don't know something fully, at least mention that in the post. I had to Google your bullshit to make sure.

And for the record, many languages let you run shell commands at runtime, Ruby is a piece of shit with partial cross platform support. Just like C#, incidentally.

But between Rails (a customisable pipeline http server that's not Apache) and Gems (revolutionising package management), the language has made a huge difference to the art. And has some nice features (macros).

And I was wrong about Rails providing an alternative to Apache too!

I have absolutely no reason to learn that piece of shit. But desu, it's not the language, it the program, stupid.

I think they're rewriting it in C++

async/await master race

C# for everything not performance critical in cycles

C++ for everything else

C# is nice for writing quick apps in
I wouldn't write anything enterprise-scale in it though

>apps

hun people have been using the term 'app' for years

You wouldn't write anything enterprise"-scale" in a language specifically designed for enterprise?

>enterprise"-scale"
What are those quotes supposed to mean? msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff647734.aspx

And no, because I don't trust microsoft pajeets, and yes this post has multiple layers of irony

I haven't used the language outside of .NET so I won't comment on other implementations (eg Unity, etc). these are my opinions after a couple hundred hours of dev time.

it's easy to write with. holds your hand a lot. less syntactical overhead than java and better documentation too. because it's a pajeet language every single possible permutation of code has five stackoverflow answers for it.

standard libs range from really good to really shitty. third party support is actually not as good as you'd expect it to be unless you like to pay 500 bucks for libs that do basic shit.

lots and lots of useless/redundant constructs and keywords that make code less readable (eg "using" blocks literally just call Dispose() for you), but also a couple of things I wish more languages had like the ?: operator.

linq is probably the single thing I love most. you can perform complex operations on huge data sets with 3 or 4 lambda expressions. I haven't benchmarked it but AFAIK it's slow as shit though.

Have you heard of our lords and saviors co_await and co_yield yet?

I work with C# among other things. It is a solid language, and solid proof of what Java could have become if it hadn't been maintained by idiots. Stuff like generics, functional programming, etc. all happened in C# years before Java got around to it, because for some reason Gosling and his ilk convinced everyone that making everything a POJO was a good thing.

It runs fast, as long as you only plan to use windows.

Lots of jobs that require you to know C#, I'll tell you that. Have of the internships I applied to had it listed as a requirement, also.

>Not using extension methods to make this super comfy
@"c:\dir".GetFiles()?.Foreach(path => path.Delete());

Why the fuck would I use an interpreted language other than Python?

C# is and will be much better than Java.
However these languages are for working in companies, if you want to build your own programs just use better languages!

Python is almost dead!
It was used by some scientists in 1990s but now it's over...

rust is certainly slower than C or C++, altough a good part of that is due to librarys(C interoperabiliy is good though, but doesn't cover everything]. If you want i can try to find sources.

It's a new wave Delphi :^)
Shines with database apps

yes, there's a C++ version out for Win10 but as it's a different codebase there are no mods..and modding is impossible anyway, since it's UWP or whatever crap W10 has that makes modifications impossible.

I REALLY HATE the word "app".

lol no bro have you checked github recently

Why? It's comfy for twitter/sms generation!

Rust is faster than C++ and slightly slower than C

Yes and it's full of crappy things!

C# FTW

the improvements of C# over Java are not nearly significant enough to switch to a far inferior platform

Rust literally is C++

not before iphones that's for sure

Except rust has no correct tools or libraries.

this, adoption is a huge thing
you're not going to write a better bignum library than GMP for example.
And network IO on linux is never going to be faster than with C because C has no translation overhead

and worse compilers

Jesus fucking christ, why do these threads exist? Google it. Is it used anywhere? Is it used by many people? Does it work? Yes? Well, there you go: OF COURSE IT'S A BLOODY VIABLE LANGUAGE.

yep, people tend to forget that it's not the language that is fast, ITS THE FUCKING COMPILER.
C and Fortran have godlike compilers developed by the likes of Intel and IBM and thus their speed is top notch.

i disagree, dynamically typed languages are slower, and other nice high-level abstractions also often make the compiler's job a lot harder.
I read something about functional languages where the stack, rather than being 1 dimensional like in most languages, was a graph, which had to be garbage collected.
[In C and similiar languages space on the stack is allocated at the start of a function and deallocated after that function finishes]
it's more of a prompt fordiscussion about the language, rather than normal questions with 1 correct answer.

well yeah, some languages are harder to code an efficient compiler for.
But a good example of what I'm saying is Julia.
Leave every type undefined and no constants, the code is going to be slow. Define them and the compiler will make efficient code.
The language is the same, but the compiler produced better code in the second case.
Dunno about functional languages tho. Last thing I heard, Lisp (Scheme) and Haskell were getting faster.

As a disclaimer, i should say I have never ever attempted to go hard on Computer Science and compilers, my programming stuff has more to do with engineering and physics.

A program written in Rust with safety turned off will run at half the speed as the same program written in C/C++.

>Rust
Look it up
>Mozilla Research
haha fuck no.
>Rust won the first place for Most Loved Programming Language of 2016 in the Stack Overflow Developer Survey
No wonder you pajeets are shilling dat shit so hard

C# is god's gift to man.