Why is Australia third world when it comes to tech?

mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-11/slow-internet-speeds-holding-back-gaming-industry/7719888

>In a statement, a spokeswoman for Federal Communications Minister Senator Mitch Fifield said all Australians will have access to at least 25 megabits per second wholesale data speeds by 2020.

>The Government said this will place Australia in an "enviable global position" for universal fast broadband.

>25mbit
>global position for universal fast broadband

I'm sitting here in my little 30k people town in the middle of Sweden with a 200/100 connection, why is it so hard for kangaroos to make decent internet?

Abos keep chewing through the cables

Infrastructure

If you're Australian and find out why it is the way it is it's an infuriating thing to read. But anyway I'm planning to leave the country within the next several years because I'm too sick of our pathetic infrastructure with no sign of it ever improving.

>big land
>little population
>politics and retards

It's literally faster for me to get a train to uni and upload a big file there then it is to do at home.

Most of us are on ADSL @ 1/.01 MB/s

>Wanting ausie shitposters to have better internet
Didn't Moot range ban the entire country at one point?

>gubmint doesn't understand tech
What's new?

Because old cunts keep voting in complete retards into election and they don't do anything about tech.

25mbps is worse than 4g atm. Why the fuck does this country suck huge cocks?

Because our country is tech illiterate, if everyone used streaming services to watch shows etc it would be a controversial point that politicians would promise to fix.

Instead half the population watches home and away, masterchef and a current afair.

*Half if not 80% of the country is full of retard bogans who don't know better and normal tv like a boring cunt.

>watching ads
>ever

Australia is too far away from everywhere else to send the good stuff

That's nothing. Here in Canada they're aiming for 5mb/s by then. 25 would be god tier compared to what we have now

They are talking about megabits not megabytes
25 megabits / 8 = 3.125 megabytes

Because Straya is a third world shithole

Sup Forums here

it's the government artificially limiting the number of aussies on the internet; if every aussie were online we just wouldn't survive the banter

This, shitposting overload

More info pls

When did "third-world" stop meaning the countries neutral towards the Soviet Union and Allied Powers during the Cold War? Why do people just think it means poor African nations now?

Telstra.

The corrupt monopoly that is Telstra is why your last mile sucks, why there is no meaningful competition, and (sources: Netflix, Facebook, Google) why your wholesale bandwidth even to massive users is the most expensive in any continent in the world even though your actual international links are fine. Oh, and they simply won't peer cost-free with anyone. It's ten times or more the price of cheap bandwidth. That's got fuck all to do with infrastructure, you don't have a problem there that someone else doesn't have worse; they're just greedy fucks.

You'd have to get rid of your politicians first to fix that, and since you're apparently well used to them all being corrupt cunts - and I say this even though I'm English - I can't see any meaningful change on the horizon.

Sorry, mate.

Move to a place witb good internet, like Nova Scotia. I've got 300/100 here

Is that what it originally meant? I had assumed it always meant irrelevant shitholes full of barely literate animals.

Yep, for example Switzerland is a third world country.

not just african, but any shithole is considered third world.

but basically means underdeveloped, or simply in-development

Doesn't Australia have a whole lot of country land between civilization? My ISP is making a big deal about 50Mbps. I don't have access to fiber because I'm in the sticks. US isn't much better.

Probably around the time the Cold War ended and the 2nd world effectively ceased to exist and it became more useful to define things in terms of developed vs underdeveloped (which happened to map fairly neatly onto the existing ideas of the 1st and 3rd worlds, respectively).

Australia is huge with a few big cities. There's the national broadband initiative, but that takes time.

Australia is remote. There's competition for the available bandwidth and adding more is difficult. The underwater geography strictly limits where a cable can even be run.

Australian ISPs started banking on very limited transfer caps ages ago, and without proper competition they have no motivation to be better.

>The underwater geography strictly limits where a cable can even be run.
Not to mention the underwater dropbears.

Do you know if there are any laws strictly prohibiting ISP competition in terms of infrastructure in AUS?