Distros to try?

i borked my windows install on my laptop (which i don't use much) and i hear Linux is good and free, do you have any versions to recommend for general use?

im open to all suggestions besides arch and Gentoo, ive heard bad things about them

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/
mirror.sobukus.de/files/sourcemage/codex/listing.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ever wanted to do magic with your operating system? Well, you can: with Source Mage
sourcemage.org/

Try out q4os,its similar to windows xp,light on resources and is still supported

Solus

Xubuntu is my go-to suggestion for people coming from windows.

debian.

Isn't there a installer for just normal Linux? Or is that a thing? I saw pictures of a command line with a pic of a penguin made by numbers and letters

Ubuntu is probably the way to go.

Some distros come without a graphical interface. You would have to install one yourself later on.

Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, openSUSE

distrowatch.com/
I rec a ubuntu flavor like xubuntu or ubuntu mate

you can always change it later by reinstalling around your home folder

What is the package selection like on Source Mage? I feel like, since it's relatively new, it won't have very many packages available.

Is manjaro Linux good?

Ubuntu Gnome 14.04

here's a list of the packages they have
mirror.sobukus.de/files/sourcemage/codex/listing.html

There aren't that many packages (compared to arch or debian), but if you're an advanced user, you might like the package management system.
It's rather simple to create your own packages (if you know what you're doing), because it's based on simple bash scripts.
You basically just write your own bash scripts that can download and install the software with all dependencies.
You're kind of expected to do stuff like that on your own when you choose Source Mage. The distro is intended for more advanced users who know exactly what they want and don't want the distribution making choices for them.

It's an offshoot of Arch so no

Arch is okay but you can start with ubuntu MATE

>God tier
CentOS, RHEL, any Server distro, CoreOS, Slackware

>Good tier
Debian, Ubuntu, elementaryOS, Fedora

>Meh tier
Mint, OpenSuse, Firefox OS

>Low tier
Chromium OS, Gentoo, Sabayon, Deepin

>Kys tier
Arch, Archbang, Manjaro

Some hot opinions

The closest you'll get to normal Linux is Slackware. This post is going to get memed all over in a few seconds I'm sure. Nobody who insults Slackware for having no software etc has ever used Slackware because it's not true.

How is Solus? When I first tried installing it on my new computer, it would never successfully boot, but I did even have trouble getting Ubuntu working (fucking MSI)

>He ranks Mint, OpenSUSE, and CoreOS above Gentoo
>He ranks Gentoo below anything
>He ranks Mint, OpenSUSE, and CoreOS above anything
Neat. Nice with Slack though.

>>God tier
>distros that I dream to learn and use some day cause someone told me are the best
>>Good tier
>distros I manage to install once
>>Meh tier
>distros that I actually use
>>Low tier
>distros
>>Kys tier
> distros that are imposible to install in the couple of tries I've did

It runs pretty smoothly on my old d2500 pc.

Midori doesn't crash at all on it, I love budgie DE.

Software selection isn't big, but everything you'll need for standard desktop use is there. Even has emulators and shit. Includes VLC.

400MB ram on boot, but still somehow uses less cpu than Ubuntu mate.

Honestly, I like it. I like what they're doing, and I hope it takes off.

>Manjaro
>hard to install
>Arch
>hard to """install"""
>implying I didn't roll my own Slack box

linux mint
although ubuntu is good, it lost my trust with the spyware.

forgot
>implying I don't have a RaspPi running CoreOS as a toy server

>can't even arrow memes

go team smeagol

Manheim/PCLinuxOS are about the easiest ones that I've seen. Lots of auto config tools to ease the transition. Both dependents of the now dead Mandriva

They're pretty much the same with different configurations for the same software from same projects. You may want to do a user friendly distribution (One with a graphical installer) and if you end up liking it, you can move on to a distro that you can optimize better.

If you want to do my dirty work try GoboLinux and report how it is.

Cool, yeah, I definitely want to give it another shot. It looks solid

>mint

> ive heard bad things about them
Gentoo is most definitely not bad, though it might not be something for you.

If you want the "easy" derivative of it, try Sabayon.

Linuxlite
LXLE
Mint
Pinguy
Manjaro
Fedora
CentOS
Lubuntu
Xubuntu
Simplicity
Peppermint
SparkyLinux
WattOS

google and youtube are so much better for answering these fypes of questions.