/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

vivaldi.com/source/
deadbeef.sourceforge.net/download.html
biebian.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

grsec? [y/N]

y not

As someone coming from OS X... is there a terminal as good as iTerm 2?

Wouldn't know since I don't use OS X, however most 1337 hackers use urxvt, plus certain programs like ranger specifically say to use iTerm2 on mac or urxvt on Linux

Gentoo unstable or Arch? Should one use btrfs with a bleeding-edge rolling release distribution? I would only use btrfs on my / partition, right? I can still have my /home on ext4?

Always use Gentoo over Arch,
Gentoo may be more autistic, but the community is more welcoming and there's more choice
You can specifically pull in unstable or stable versions of packages by editing config files or using porthole
Plus USE flags allow you to remove features you don't like from programs

>is there a terminal as good as iTerm 2?
No

Anybody using JWM here? How do I create a button on the bar to perform a task? Like perhaps create a menu, but clicking the menu name runs a terminal command instead of opening a menu. Is that possible?

I've never used it, what's good about it?

What's your ideal setup?

>Distro

>WM

>DE

>WM

>DP

>Terminal Emulator

>File Browser

>Web Browser

>Text Editor

>Music Player

>Video Player

>Image Viewer

>Image Editor

>Other

Fucking reverse engineer Red Star OS, we need to have that look.

But doesn't dd copy the freespace on a partition as well? I mean I guess I could work with that by repartitioning things but I'm used to windows imaging software like imagex where you would set up windows, capture an image of Windows, generalize it, and then you can drop it pretty much anywhere. Linux doesn't have a rough equivalent?

Isn't that just mac os x style?
doesn't pantheon have similar?

Where to generate these gifs?

>>>Distro
mine ;^)
>>WM
mine ;^)
>>DE
mine ;^)
>>WM
mine ;^)
>>DP
mine ;^)
>>Terminal Emulator
mine ;^)
>>File Browser
mine ;^)
>>Web Browser
mine ;^)
>>Text Editor
mine ;^)
>>Music Player
mine ;^)
>>Video Player
mine ;^)
>>Image Viewer
mein ;^)
>>Image Editor
mine ;^)
>>Other
mine ;^)

10/10

When will editd, systemd's text editor be a thing?

vivaldi.com/source/

Can I use it instead of Cuckfox now?
On Memetoo

>Distro
Any pacman based distro. Currently using Manjaro after 2 years of Arch.

>Desktop Enviroment
XFCE

>WM
JWM or i3, currently using a JWM session with XFCE installed for main utilities and applets

>Terminal
XFCE's terminal. They're all the same imo was never into terminal ricing so any is fine.

>File Browser
PCManFM. Used Thunar for a long time.

>Web Browser
Light. It's a stripped down Firefox, and my old laptop runs on 400mb with it. Firefox or Chromium would use up at least 1GB.

>Text Editor
Mostly use Geany for editing configs and stuff.

>Music Player
YouTube? I don't have music anymore. I just use Spotify on my phone or YouTube when on my laptop.

>Video Player
Netflix and YouTube

>Image Viewer
Whatever is XFCE's default

>Image Editor
Do programmer art in GIMP

>Other
Gnome-Disk-Utility
Pamac (used Octopi for along time but like Pamac now)
Eclipse
htop for task manager

That's all really. Now a huge power user. Just browse YouTube a lot and code Java in Uni, while learning C++ and Lua on my own.

>Isn't that just mac os x style?
No.
>doesn't pantheon have similar?
No.

Install GNU Icecat.

tar?

Thoughts on Korora? It's a distro based off Fedora, basically just Fedora with proprietary codecs/drivers/etc preinstalled. Are there any disadvantages to using it over stock-Fedora? I'm going to be installing all that shit anyway.

Fedora without memehat jokes and with non-free software

thank god tbqh

samefag

>Distro
Devuan
>DE/WM
IceWM
>DP
XDM
>Terminal Emulator
Xterm
>File Browser
PCManFM
>Web Browser
GNU IceCat
>Text editor
Xedit
>Music player
Audacious (+ non-native Winamp skin)
>Video player
VLC
>Image viewer
GThumb
>Image editor
RawTherapee
>Torrent client
Transmission GTK
>Audio editor
Audacity
>Mail client
IceDove
>Document reader
Calibre
>Word processor
Abiword
>GTK/QT theme
Redmond
>Icon theme
Win 95
>Font
Fixed
>Font rendering
Fontconfig

legitimately not
I can now recommend fedora without tipping jokes

>It's a distro based off NSA backdoora

Just avoid it completely.

Why did you switch to Manjaro?

>CVE-2016-5696
I'm just going to leave this here.

Something new, and Arch has been taken over by fedora wearing anime/my little pony ricing autists.

Hi Microsoft.

>fapping to (You)'s

new to linux, on ubuntu mate 16.04.1 lts (dual boot with windows 7), how can I install firefox esr on it? And it's possible to make it use the same profile of the windows installation?

what kind of trace does browsing the internet through the terminal leave? just your ip address?

Why is Trisquel so buggy, or was it just me? I played on a live USB of it for about 2 days. Windows would always randomly close on me, the cursor somehow got flipped and I couldn't change it, Synaptic would refuse to open from the start menu so I always had to open it via terminal, etc.

user agent, headers, referrer

If you sign into your Firefox sync bullshit. Firefox should be in the repository. Use Synaptic to search for it.

>CVE-2016-5696
at least with opensource you get to know this kind of bugs

nice meme

>opensource

Don't act like is not solved once is found.

While in the GNU/Linux world the same people who find the bugs, you get zero days all the time in Windows which are used by hackers to make ransomware.

How does it feels to be a cuck?

>Don't act like is not solved once is found.
Open Source doesn't magically allow you to fix bugs and share them. All you're allowed to do with Open Source is to look at it and cry.

>>Something new
keke what??

isn't it just a derivative fucking shit

While we have the bugfixes in a day, ransomware is written for shitty winddows.

Microsoft can only hire idiots like you to troll people on a chinese cartoon imageboard.

>Funroll loops community
lmao no

Manjaro is Arch based but they have their own repository. You can still access AUR though and 99% of Arch wiki applies to Manjaro. It's pretty much just a noob way to install Arch with Manjaro's NET install. They have different flavors of DEs and WMs though. I think officially they make Manjaro XFCE and KDE, but their community editions cover a lot more. I'm currently running Manjaro JWM and I am happy with it so far. I've never tried Arch so can't tell you if it's better or not.

For beginners, Manjaro is galaxies ahead of Ubuntu, and don't get why Sup Forums keeps telling newfags to install _ubuntu. You get a pacman based distro with really none of the diy of Arch. You can install just about anything from your package manager of choice.

I already said Gentoo is more autisic
But the community is more welcoming overall

>Distro
Debian
>WM
implying
>DE
implying
>WM
implying
>DP
implying
>Terminal Emulator
implying
>File Browser
implying
>Web Browser
implying
>Text Editor
implying
>Music Player
implying
>Video Player
implying
>Image Viewer
implying
>Image Editor
implying
>Other
implying

*autistic
fug :DDDD

I don't know what is the buzz about DeaDBeeF but I am about to install it deadbeef.sourceforge.net/download.html

Anything I need to know?

I wish manjaro devs are more serious

What do you mean tar?

>Why is Trisquel so buggy, or was it just me?
It's just you.

Don't be ashame my dyslexic friend, I too are under the spell of the lack of sleep.

Dude just install vlc or smplayer and move On with your life

You can make a tar archive of a filesystem, move it, and extract it in a new place. There are options that preserve the permissions and extended attributes of the files.

>Dude

Anyone here really use Trisquel daily?
How is the experience? I tried it before, but had some problems... I don't know if it was OS fault, though.

How important is it to maintain backups of your system before updating packages?

Agreed. We all know the webdev SSL memes, but the distro is fine.

Not very.

I like to fuck with my system very much. That's why I keep my Documents On am ssh file server

I made a script to automate all the settings and softwares to the state I like them to be

RMS does.

I know, I'm asking about 4channers.

So if I am a normalfag who uses linux for the eyecandy and customization, videos, occasional video games, lots of anime and shitposting, do I really need to maintain backups?

RMS doesn't need to browse Sup Forums, he's already honorary 4channer.

How can someone say they are a leftist with a straight-face?
It's like saying "I support Soros, death of the white race, one world government, and endless war" all at the same time
Asking since an aussie in a different thread described himself with that label

Explain? How is it backdoored?

Many here are sysadmins working for some companies, but as a normie myself using GNU/Linux since 6 years ago, I didn't made a backup often.

Do as you please.

yeah sorry, had it open in another tab m8

type of poster in a gnu/linux thread, really makes you think kek

Consider closing this tab.

The NSA and many three letter agencies need tech support from some private company. Enter Red Hat, provider of said tech support.

May I ask where is that thread? I'm curious.

There are enough stormfag distros, tho.

I back up my home everyday, but that's fear of hardware failure, not software.

Remember, if it's not backed up you are willing to lose it.

I prefer Ubuntu Satanic Edition, thank you very much.

>implying these shit's are more professional than lo/g/os.

>using ubuntu satanic edition when Hannah Montana distro exists.

Do you have an external drive when you do that? I don't have access to an external drive on which I can put my backups onto and I am debating on backing it up on my home drive, since well you know, the drive fails and the backups are lost aswell. Should I invest some money into an external drive?

just use linux mint it works out of the box

Was in a different discussing the aussie in this thread I linked

Just saying that the face of leftism is George Soros makes it difficult to state that you are one with a straight face

Plus I want all races to thrive (nonwhite tbqh) and don't like how some leftist policies are destroying the white race

>using a Hannah Montana distro when Biebian exists

tarball, gpg encrypt, then upload it on a botcloud service

*was in a different thread

also I wouldn't say i'm a stormfag, i'm basically just a centrist that legitimately wants all of the races to survive the information age instead of racemixing into one, destroying all past culture

k back to shitposting about loonix distros

Yes. I'm too scared to upload my stuff anywhere, and that way costs more.

fuck

Culture develops constantly. No need to save it.

>The idea began on Sup Forums's Sup Forums
biebian.sourceforge.net/

Sup Forums, proving we can complete a project beyond a logo

that may be, but racial history will be harder to determine the further it mixes into one.
I want whites, blacks, asians, latinos, native americans, everything to exist at the same time

Does anyone know how to make firefox default to a different GTK theme when it launches? I'm using Breeze-Dark as my GTK theme and when it launches on firefox, it gives me white text in some places, black search bars, etc. I currently have the text "env GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Breeze/gtk-2.0/ firefox" as my launch option, but firefox is still using the dark GTK theme.

As a transhumanist and a biologist I can only thank for race mixing. If it didn't exist, evolution would have BTFO humankind and all other kind of creatures long ago.

obviously mixing was an important part of history,
however they were in their own gene pools

Also with modern medicine, people with undesirable genetics can live long enough to reproduce, lowering the genetic standards
including the possibility of decreasing the iq average

Machines, despite being miraculous devices shouldn't make up for all of our human faults

Plus, I doubt you can say you want all white history, all black history, all asian history, and so on to die

I think the GTK page on the arch wiki had something about that.

Europeans have a low rate of birth and a high rate of congenital diseases. Can't stress enough how much a minimal introduction of new genes is needed.

Yes, I know is shocking.

Racemixing would bring those diseases into non-european genepools

My argument was that I want history to live on, I don't want a race to die, i'm not arguing that one race is superior or inferior

Forgot to add, yes, there were many races lost to time that can't come back, I just don't want more leading the same fate

So what loonix distro are you talking about?