BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, FreeNAS...

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: dragonflydigest.com - undeadly.org - freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers!

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/commits/2016-August/624241.html
dragonflydigest.com/2016/08/11/18523.html
youtube.com/watch?v=mOv62lBdlXU
openbsdfoundation.org/contributors.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

FreeBSD fucked up their security and OpenBSD has no nonfree drivers and softeares.

The only hope was FreeBSD and it's finished

How's laptop support in OpenBSD? I've got Intel wireless, Intel graphics, pretty normal stuff I think. Might try it out.

>no nonfree drivers and softeares

having no non-free drivers is a good thing.

wtf is softeares

When people say "Linux has messy code, I've looked at BSD's source and I'm never going back" what do they actually mean?

Linux mainly gets moat of its code contribution from red hat, gnu and volunteer developers. There is less of a code standard to keep and having code from so many differeblnt people makes it messy. Linux also has a lot of binary blobs for running certain things. Bsd is usually more portable and has a higher code standard.

The BSDs are all different so there's no general rule with that. Usually with the BSDs in order to contribute you have to be a trusted developer or a trusted developer has to approve your contribution and if it sucks they have to help you fix it. The BSDs strictly enforce certain formatting so the code is said to be more consistent in general. I think that's probably what people refer to. Then again there's probably a lot of devs that go back and forth between them and don't care.

>no drivers is a good thing
OpenBSD is a meme. If I were a freetard I'd just use parabola anyways.

>No proprietary drivers means no drivers

That's not how it works.

Nice dead general

Also just switch to Linux already

I disagree, hardware manufacturers have right to keep the software that interacts with their hardware secret. Applying strong policies towards all the drivers is a better choice.

>not wanting all hardware to be open-source hardware
People like you shouldn't be allowed to live on this planet.

>you have to make your software and hardware completely by my rules, even if you designed it!

No. All the openbsd developers can do is write their own open source code to support the hardware and backport some code from the linux kernel.

Bigot.

All OS suck. And all have holes. At least the freebsd team is fixing them and changed their policies.

Anytime you connect a system to the Internet you are bound to run into problems.

>run OpenBSD and use a limited user with a home in /tmp with Chromium and DWM
>never run into any issues ever
>any exploits that manage to get past OpenBSD's SSP can't escalate and my system is safe anyways
>every reboot wipes the temp user out so no issues with malware persistence
Sure is comfy.

It's not just about the code vulnerability, but the unethical practices behind it. The developers of most other operating systems don't publicly disclose exploits and it sometimes takes them months to years to fix them. This is just unacceptable if you want good security.

> cuck license and other things

It's funny how you say cuck license, because despite companies supposedly not contributing back, most BSD's still see a ton of development and progress.

Suggest me comfy BSD-based OS, i want learn something new.

FreeBSD, OpenBSD. GhostBSD, MidnightBSD, HardenedBSD.... the list goes on.

>ton of development and progress
there's no need to lie on the internet

Why isn't Sup Forums working to fix FreeBSD?

A lot of free and commercial operating systems use parts of BSD in their core codebase. Open SSH which came from OpenBSD is included by default in linux. OpenBSD is also responsible for a lot of innovations in security and networking, as is freeBSD with openZFS.

Chances are you're already using BSD software without realising it.

very likely to work

the burden of proof is on you

I'm just gonna bump because every general deserves a chance to succeed.

Friendly reminder Netflix runs their servers on FreeBSD 10.2 and their webservers Nginx

Had to switch ~20servers of FreeBSD to OpenBSD because their security.

>The only hope was FreeBSD and it's finished

God your dumb.

Thinkpads or bust

>nonfree drivers

Try filing a LINUX bug report involving your precious binary shits. Good luck retard.

Dragonfly BSD just removed what was left of their Linux compatibility layer

lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/commits/2016-August/624241.html

The compatibility layer was largely non-functional because it required i386 which Dragonfly has not supported in a while.

Oh they also removed some 32bit only drivers

dragonflydigest.com/2016/08/11/18523.html

>what do they actually mean

They mean it runs all the root name servers of the entire internet, the space station microgravity, the biggest video streaming on the planet (netflix).

>memes

idiot

there are no exploits dumbshit because all your services are in base and secure. if for whatever reason you're running services out of ports you should probably have a good reason and hopefully know what you're doing. OpenBSD is a UNIX-like and performs related tasks just fine.

mah nigga.

also i got a black box that other guy can plug into his network. can't tell you what it does but that's my right.

That's exactly how it works in many broadcom, realtek and Nvidia chips. Come out of your basement and you'll know why people don't bother with BSD, specially with OpenBSD garbage

>buy proprietary hardware
>use GNU/Linux the OS of freetards

OpenBSD devs speak all around the world and brush shoulders with the top security researchers in the world.

Keep fixing your nvidia drivers so you can game in your basement.

>people don't bother with OpenBSD

5:15 faggot

youtube.com/watch?v=mOv62lBdlXU

also DEFCON uses OpenBSD for their network

Exactly. Why the fuck won't you install proprietary drivers in proprietary hardware. Such retards

At least I have drivers and I don't have to run my OS in a fucking virtual machine, manchild

Get the fuck out

>At least I have drivers and I don't have to run my OS in a fucking virtual machine, manchild
no one runs openbsd in a vm retard

No one runs OpenBSD because there are no drivers and has less softwares than Linux. It can't even do proper hardware assisted windows virtualization. Doesn't have ZFS.

There is zero reason to use OpenBSD

My first was OpenBSD then FreeBSD.

Which is a good OS for a private laptop for everyday use (no vidya/no Photoshop) and use only my dedicated Mac to do such media work (which runs a BSD).

>There is zero reason to use OpenBSD

Good. Don't. It just makes it just more valuable to know. If you don't understand its worth then enjoy your career of dealing with Office365 support call center.

There are drivers. It's developed on Thinkpads but it runs on enterprise hardware you obviously never laid eyes on.

>Which is a good OS for a private laptop for everyday use

I would use Debian. Secure and Stable. Virtually no maintenance.

>There are drivers. It's developed on Chinkpads
Sure thing buddy, showed me real well from your basement

Remove yourselves from BSD threads, OpenBSD is a useless garbage

>There is zero reason to use OpenBSD
>"Good. Don't. It just makes it just more valuable to know"
There - there's that snowflake syndrome. What a Joke

There is just no getting around it. If you think OpenBSD is useless you're beyond clueless.

What usage does OpenBSD have, my snowflake friend?

Is it possible to run HAMMER on a non amd64 arch?

I'm asking because a lot of BSDs are considering a port.

> standing out among your peers in a career is a joke

name a daemon, it exists

No being a pretend hipster is a joke. What do you have with BSD that other OS' doesn't have? Are you running OpenBSD exclusively in your laptops, work machines and desktops?

HAMMER(1) relies on Dragonfly's kernel so it's not very portable unfortunately.

HAMMER2 is supposed to be easier to port and have more functionality and also support larger volumes but it's still under heavy development though.

>Are you running OpenBSD exclusively in your laptops, work machines and desktops?

I don't recall ever arguing for OpenBSD exclusivity. You called it garbage.

Yes it is, even you are not using it anywhere but your toy laptop

>What do you have with BSD that other OS' doesn't have?
i literally don't care and use it out of preference, you fucking retard

why don't you understand that some people have preferences?

You do know all your precious binary drivers are unsupported by all distros and vanilla upstream kernel.

Now you're building a straw man.

the funny thing is he's probably the guy who keeps going "muh cuck license" while using binary drivers

freetards are some of the most intellectually dishonest people

Why do people prefer GNU/Linux when they could just use Windows?

Personally I appreciate that different operating systems have different ways to accomplish some things. None of them are necessarily better than another just different and it's all based on opinions

>binary drivers are unsupported by all distros
What?

Oh there you go, because anyone that points out how useless your shit is "that one shitposter".

Paranoid loser

no he's just a "power user" tier gamer from Sup Forums who is unwilling to learn.

lol every time someone calls you out on it you always say they're paranoid too

shut the fuck up, retard

Because it's free and it is ACTUALLY improving while BSD is left dead

"works" is not the same as "supported".

>Because it's free
so is BSD

and don't give me the cuck license bullshit, even the FSF approves of the license

>BSD is left dead
yeah, shame someone had to fork OpenSSH because BSD is dead, Netcraft

>BSD is left dead
Yeah man. Picking up the OpenSSL flag, BSD sure isn't contributing these days. (sarcasm)

see It is left dead. Linux usage is increasing while BSD was there BEFORE Linux. Why? Because Linux is becoming usable and it's taken seriously. Not just because of "muh preference"

You are right, Theo admits that they are way behind the line of the latest technology. Hardware vendors killed OpenBSD with their monopoly

>ACTUALLY improving

Linux and BSD improving is not mutually exclusive retard.

>Why? Because Linux is becoming usable and it's taken seriously
>Linux is becoming usable
im dying

every year the linux userland gains more and more abstractions that make it more and more unusable

also
>it's taken seriously
yeah openssh is literally just a prank

the code literally does nothing but return 0 and its included with almost every unix-like operating system, what a prank

Keep dying while BSD is finished for good while Linux becomes a viable OSX alternative

>BSD was there BEFORE Linux
uh BSD was in a legal battle with At&T retard.

>BSD is finished for good
>while this page exists:
openbsdfoundation.org/contributors.html

BSD is dying. Hilarious. The meme I've been hearing since 1998.

well, netcraft confirmed it

it must be true

It's Friday too! Good laugh.

Is OpenSSH that why people has to use BSD? OpenSSH is avilalble in Linux, and so is LibreSSH

True, no one took it seriously, never will

>Hardware vendors killed OpenBSD with their monopoly

Yeah because OpenBSD was always a threat, they coerced their engineers to defeat it.

>Is OpenSSH that why people has to use BSD?
i literally never said that, learn how to read

what i said is openbsd develops it, but apparently no one takes it seriously, so why do other operating systems use SSH?

don't bother there is either a language barrier or something worse. not to be an asshole, he just a lost cause at this point.

Well it is not a threat anymore, now that's it's irrelevant

Because three's is no point in re-inventing the wheel? Are you pretending to be an idiot?

> UNIX is irrelevant

thats all folks.

>Because three's is no point in re-inventing the wheel?
never said there was
>Are you pretending to be an idiot?
are you? that was never my argument, you do know that, right?

>Never said there was
What? You are the one who brought up OpenSSH

Okay let's start over. Why BSD?

>What? You are the one who brought up OpenSSH
you're the one who said "no one takes BSD seriously"

then i gave you the one of the reasons people take BSD seriously

>Okay let's start over. Why BSD?
because i like it, why is that so hard for you to get?

i'm done with you

Why can't you folks get over yourselfs? If people want to use BSD let them go for it, if you don't like it then stop crying. I don't personally use it but can understand why people do.

Does BSD have good AMD GPU drivers yet?

define "good"

it runs on my radeon card, so it's good for me

>>Okay let's start over. Why BSD?
>because i like it
Very compelling

Latest AMD cards has no drivers for BSD.

>Very compelling
tell me why i absolutely need to convince you

if you like linux, stay on there and shut the fuck up

Because you pretend that BSD is remotely usable for daily tasks

Is this from experience?

and you pretend everyone's daily tasks are the same

FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and Dragonfly all support the radeon FRM drivers from Linux so the support is decent but they tend to lag a few versions behind the Linux kernel. Dragonfly is probably the closest to the Linux kernel

>FRM drivers
DRM* drivers