Is space research the most fulfilling career today?

Is space research the most fulfilling career today?

Non profit open source linux debugging is.

Literally one of the most useless careers there is.

how can I get into that? what programming language is necessary?

C++. Don't use C, Linus doesn't like it.

>useless
What the fuck are you on about ?

Depends. I reckon some space research is detrimental to exploration: when plans are made for how best to complete a mission (be it a Europa ocean diver or a crewed mission to Mars) everyone wants their pet technology they have been researching to fly on the mission. Thus many advanced but superfluous technologies are included into the mission producing a plan that looks horrendously, perhaps an order of magnitude, more expensive than the simplest method of completing the mission would be. Thus funding backs off. This has at least been the case with NASA's crewed Mars plans since the 70s.

Space research is pointless for the most part. Being able to identify asteroids and other shit that could hit the earth and take it out is cool, but 99% of information we gather about galaxies and things that are hundreds and thousands of lightyears away is totally useless. Most of it is just to feed our curiosity.

If our ancestors thought the same way, we'd all still be living in African jungles.

If you define useless as 'does not feed the capitalist beast' then sure. Most reasonable human beings would see the use of research to find out more about the universe.

I thought that was a needle sticking out of snow

Useless as in there is no practical use. In what way is knowing the diameter of the Andromeda galaxy beneficial to anyone?

>In what way is knowing the diameter of the Andromeda galaxy beneficial to anyone?

It benefits you to know more about the universe around you. It enriches your life a little. I for one am certainly pleased to know about the Andromeda galaxy.

There's more to life than fulfilling basic biological needs.

no career is truly fulfilling besides your own business.

Endless writing of reports and mundane hours/pretending to be busy in the office is never fulfilling.

I don't think our ancestors opinion on space research would have had an impact on research and exploration on earth.

But exploration is useless and pointless. Same with research. You said it yourself.

No, I didn't say research and exploration in general. I was very specific.

You were also very wrong.

Alright, but do you also think it's worth spending billions to find out things about a galaxy we'll never be able to reach, just for the sake of knowing it?

Then why is 95.7% of the Linux kernel written in C?

Quite often, the discovery of what you consider useless comes hand in hand with more information about scientific fundamentals which can be applied to things all around us. Physics and chemistry work the same way wherever you look, remember.

Also, it doesn't cost billions to look at photographs of the sky. Quite often, the information is going to be taken anyway, because it gets used and reused by a diverse range of different projects.

Whoosh, motherfucker.

Whoosh.

>a galaxy we'll never be able to reach
Not with that attitude. Wasn't long ago humans thought flying was merely a dream and now millions of people fly every day.

Traveling at the speed of light would take 2.5 million years to get to the Andromeda galaxy. You can't travel any faster. Just saying.

lrn2wormhole faggot

Fair enough. Thank you.

It doesn't cost a lot to look at photographs of the sky, but it costs a lot to build things to take the pictures with, like the Hubble telescope, which is what I meant.

He wasn't in a position to make demands at the time the kernel started.

This kind of faggotry cringe me so hard, please just be a bait or gtfo

You're welcome to argue against it.

US$2.5 billion spent over the course of a few decades is actually really good value for money. If you think about it in terms of the budget of a nation state, the cost is really, really tiny.

The product of the Hubble telescope has resulted in over 10,000 scientific papers, and without it, we would know hardly anything about dark matter, that the universe is expanding, or black holes, and I can guarantee you that at least some of that knowledge will be pretty damn commercially useful in the future.

So if i'm following your logic, geology/mathematics/literature/philosophy/history/archaeology and a lot more fields are useless because "there is no direct use of them" ?

Talking to someone on the other side of the world instantly is impossible. A man on a horse with your letter travels at most 30 miles a day and can go no faster. Just saying.

All of those have direct use.

Half of them didn't when they were first developed, especially more theoretical stuff.

That's flawed because

1) It is possible to travel faster than 30 miles per day

2) Sending over information is different from actually being there, which is what the previous example was about

It's just a meme. We must spend our resources to help other people, like the poor in africa and syria. We also need to save our planet.

This is information that you know after the fact. They are identical examples

No, because we already know that it's impossible for something with mass to travel faster than the speed of light.

see:

We'd save a lot of money and resources if we got rid of all niggers... We could then use that to improve the world for white people.

It can be soul crushing if you piss of the wrong people.

go back to Sup Forums, retard.

i'm not from africa or syria, but i'm quite poor. you should send your money for me.

i know it sounds bad but think about it: you'll save someone from being poor, at least until i'll eat away all of the money i got
but then you can send more

give me your email so i can send you my account number

The only fulfilling work in these days is if you run your own company.
Otherwise you will always be just a unimport small piece in the machine that can always be replaced.

Nothing with mass can reach light speed, correct, but if we warp space time with a warp drive we can travel a great distance very quickly.
A ship with a warp drive can go from the Sun to the nearest star in about 2 weeks time.

Except space research isn't that. It's about studying space and planets(mostly Mars) as an enviroment, designing protection spaces and technology for humanity to survive in the harshest environment humanity has yet to face.
You're mistaking it for astronomy, dumbass shitposter.

Is this 1961?

>Is this 1951?
ftfy

>99% of information we gather about galaxies and things that are hundreds and thousands of lightyears away is totally useless
No it is not. We are able to study and prove many theories in physics such as relativity with astronomy. It allows us to map the universe and observe stellar and planetary evolution as well as discover exoplanets. By looking at objects billions of light years away, we can see the creation of the universe. The search for life is pretty important too and the discovery of any sort of life out there would be completely groundbreaking. Our local area in the Milky Way only represents a tiny, tiny fraction of the entire universe and only retard would say that it's not worth studying. I suggest you go back to your anime and die eventually without contributing anything to the future

We can you obese people like you to warp spacetime and travel faster than light