/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

support.lenovo.com/uu/en/downloads/ds013805
ebay.co.uk/itm/7mm-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Rubber-Rails-For-ThinkPad-X220-X220I-X230-X230I-T420S-T430-/281281572896
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X1-Carbon-14-Intel-Core-i5-3427U-1-8GHz-4GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-/401169167765?hash=item5d678bb595:g:eNkAAOSw6n5XrK-R
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How many monitors can an x220 run while docked?

First for superior battery life

>all that wasted vertical space

Here's a Toughbook thats not popular enough to sell.

you can't HD3000 can't handle it.

9cell on x220?

yeah, he could have at least used a de/wm with smaller titlebars.

>that kb layout
>that circular trackpad that Panasonic loves

why

Almost all sub 12" laptops before vista always had fucked up keyboard layouts.
it was inevitable

>fucking tv ended up breaking on its way to new york, had to refund fully and fedex didn't give us a fucking dime.

>9cell on x220?
exactly.

also I don't really mind the titlebars.
I only open 2 windows each workspace anyways.

CF-C1 can also be found for cheap with relatively decent specs.

Sup Forums I really like the T430 series that I want to get a T431s. I believe I can swap the trackpad like the T440's and I have a OK innolux IPS FHD panel to toss it in.

Thanks!
I really got to get more information on ToughBooks, though right now they are as about confusing as the Vaio series when it comes to the model number.

Anyone heard of any oled issues on the x1 yoga? About to pull trigger.

where do you get your laptops for selling?

Random sellers,
Arrow direct I got an 8760w for $260, sold it for $600 after some RAM added in.
>electronicscafe
>x1_computers
>kramdeninstitute - I felt bad giving a low ball offer after reading its for blind people
>makeitdirect
>rocycle2012
>computers4usall - bought 4 770's for $50, sold one rare 5:4 770X for $245, one left.
>urtjvl120
>ecyclepc - good shit for cheap, often buy items for HDD/RAM
>e-cyclepro
>greencitizen - sometimes too many people bid on items, otherwise good deals

how can you do anything on that? that huge font and titlebar takes so much space from that small screen.

Did I fuck up?

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!

Thanks senpai, you do this for a living? Why are the deals on these sites better than eBay?

Honestly it's pretty easy to use.
I never ran into space problems so far.
And since the font is rather big I can comfortably lean back and still read everything.
Also I zoomed in in the browser. Everywhere else the font is much smaller, so a lot of text fits on the screen.

X2xx master race!!

>nroken in 3 months top intensifies

>you can't
So I should get a DUDE t420 LMAO if I want to have my laptop be my battlestation?

Torn between X220 and X230 lads.

OY VEY SHUT IT DOWN

As long as you're happy with it.
I think it looks plasticky, cheap and the trackpad has no buttons. But I've never had an 11e, maybe it's great?

WHAT IN FUCK IS DONE TO THIS POOR LAPTOP? STUPID FAGGOT AMERICAN WITH MACINTOSH PHONE AND GIANT ORIFICE OF BOWEL LOOKS AT PERFECTLY FINE MACHINE OF INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS AND SAYS "NO, LAPTOP NEED LESS DUMB FEATURES ON IT"?

WHAT IS REASON FOR ISLAND KEY? IF YOU NEED TO TYPE QUICKLY IN EMERGENCY, NOW FINGERS TWISTED INTO PAINFUL ANGLE AND YOU MISS EVERY KEY! LOOK AT WRONG ANGLE OF SCREEN VIEWING! LOOK AT CHEAP PLASTIC CASE THAT CRACK LIKE TRASH FROM CHINESE SLAVE FACTORY! WHERE DID POINTING STICK GO?

I HEAR OF CANCER OF MACINTOSH IN AMERICA. ADDING ISLAND KEY TO LAPTOP MEANS YOU CHANGE OTHER PARTS. WHAT ELSE YOU FUCK? YOU PUT CHEAP SOLDERED RAM? HOW ABOUT BAD SCREEN OF TWISTED NEMATIC DESIGN AND ASPECT OF HOLLYWOOD TO SHOW OFF AT CAPITALIST COFFEE HOUSE AND NEVER COMRADE CAN SEE WHEN SIT NEXT TO YOU?

SURE, IS ONLY CHINESE SLAVE FACTORY COPY TYPE BUT IS STILL PROUD DESIGN OF RICHARD SAPPER. THIS IS LIKE SENDING HIM BIRTHDAY CARD WITH SEVERED OFF THUMB OF DAUGHTER IN ENVELOPE. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY COMRADE SAPPERI! I PISS ON ALL YOU CREATE!" LARGE MOUND FORMS OVER LANDFILL BY CONSTANT TUMBLING OF ANGRY MACHINE SPIRITS. IS FAULT OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

LAPTOP WAS FINE BEFORE YOU FUCK IT. NOW IS TRASH. MAYBE YOU CHECK IN FACTORY AND ORIGINAL DESIGN OF CASE AND KEYBOARD ARE STILL THERE. MAYBE IS NOT TOO LATE TO KEEP LAPTOP SOMETHING NOT SHAMEFUL TO TAKE TO PLACE OF EDUCATION OR WORK. TAKE SHIT OF GOAT AWAY AND COULD STILL BE GOOD LAPTOP.

I need a bit of help, /tpg/.

I got a free x220 from my dad last week. I decided to slap an SSD onto it, so I got the cheapass ADATA SP550. But after I was done installing my OS on it I noticed that my x220 was unable to boot into the disk, despite the fact that the BIOS recognized the drive correctly.

What do? The first thing I wanted to do was boot into this thing: support.lenovo.com/uu/en/downloads/ds013805 but since x220 does not have an optical drive I don't want to burn it to a CD. I could not boot my USB of which I used dd to copy the provided bootable image.

Am I at least on the right direction? I even updated my BIOS, but things are refusing to work.

Checked boot order?
I had to manually add "boot from USB" to the boot order menu since it only had my preinstalled SSD in it.
Search a little around in the UEFI settings, I'm sure you'll find what's wrong.
Just because it recognizes your SSD doesn't mean it's added into the boot order menu.

>order x220
>arives in good condition
>procede to change the hard drive
>nitice the hdd rack is missing as well as 1 of the 2 rubber rails
is it a problem Sup Forums ?

Who else is using or plans to use a ThinkPad as a desktop replacement?

t. traveller

Feels very solid, it's fast, screen is okay, 6 hours battery and great keyboard.

Join the new master race.

Why do you guys love Chinese bloatbooks so much? Is it just to be part of the secret club?

I'm not too sure what you are talking about, because you are kind of going back and forth with the USB and SSD stuff...

But if you meant that I should check my boot priorities (regardless of the boot targets being an SSD or USB) I'm pretty certain that's not it, because I not only changed the boot order in BIOS but also made it manually boot to USB at startup anyways.

Wibble wobble wibble wobble jelly on a plate

They're cheap used, pretty good performance and they're easy to service and maintain.
Plus they feel really durable. Going from a HP notebook to a thinkpad is quite the difference.

Yeah sorry I'm not a native English speaker, and I translated a lot of German (poorly) to English.
But I meant exactly what you said.
I thought you might have not done it yet since it caught me by surprise, when I got my X220, that "boot from USB" was completely missing from the "boot priorities menu".

What jewery is this!? Truely sad to see ThinkPad printed on that but at this point I'm not even surprised.

I'm using X230 as my main desktop but I usually dock it with external display.

Normies don't appreciate the quality of refurbished ThinkPads so we can get them for super cheap compared to buying new with similar performance and quality.

Complain to seller. You can live without it or order a new caddy/rubber rail for few monies.

x230 with dock, 1080p monitor and desktop peripherals reporting

Linux a shit for docking/undocking though. I'm sure there are ways to script shit for docking/undocking events, I just haven't bothered to look into it yet.

#BlackLaptopsMatter

I've had no problem docking/undocking an X230 with Ubuntu. Everything works out of the box.

Works for me:
-undocking/docking while power is on
-undocking/docking while sleeping
-automatically putting on the docked display configuration
-optical drive
-usb peripherals
-ethernet
-power

What are these problems you talk of?

I got a 9cell on my x220, mine claims to have six hours when fully charged but then delivers about four, still not bad for what I paid for the whole laptop. Are newegg batteries good?

Dude, I been thinking about one of those, hows the performance. Hows the battery life.

I have a genuine Lenovo battery. It claims anywhere between 6-10 hours fully loaded, and delivers anything inbetween depending on load.
My Uptime now is just over 2.5 hours with around 2 third of battery left, so I'll end somewhere between 7-8hours at same load.
Looks like your battery is shit m8.

It's cobbled-together Debian testing with no DE. It wants to go to sleep during undocking and when I wake it up off the dock, it doesn't want to show the internal display. More cobbling is clearly required. I think I just need to do xrandrshit at a docking/undocking event. Same goes for switching off ethernet and switching on wifi.

Good to know a fully fleshed distro handles it though, I'll look at how Ubuntu does it. It just hasn't been annoying enough to deal with yet since it spends 99% of its time on the dock. As it stands, I've just been shutting it down before undocking.

tl;dr - disregard, I suck cocks

>horizontal spaces between pgup/arrow keys
>zero vertical spacing
What the absolute fucking
someone pls explain this

>your battery is shit

well yeah I know. so where do you buy a battery from? lenovo wants $170 that is more than the laptop cost.

>there are laptops that look like this with the name ThinkPad on them

still getting 11 hours from this.

Damn, I got mine when I bought my X220 for an extra 80€.

And where did you buy them? I only paid $100 for the x220

Chink Thinkpad layouts crack me up. Just look at that tiny space bar, it's adorable!

Hory sheet how can i get jap keyboard in europe?
Is it possible to order it on amazon.jp?

>apple design

I don't know dude, do you want it? I want a english keyboard but I'm not willing to put up with ebay shit and spending $50 on a "normal" layout keyboard.

lapstore.de, I live in Germany.
Paid 400€ for my X220, but at least it cames fully refurbished with a 1 year warranty and a new keyboard.

What is some Drive cloning software that you'd recommend?

okay but those PBG3's were comfy as fuck.

its the original that come with the laptop when i bought it

holy shit dude thats a lot for a used laptop dont you think?

at least it has better build quality than a new 400€ laptop.

Well, maybe, but you sure as hell don't get anything better for that price so i's not like I regret it.
Actually I think it was worth the money.
I mean I could have bought one off of ebay for like 200€, but that would have come with a use battery of unknown quality, not refurbished, without any warranty, and probably with one of those shitty HDDs they used to slap into Thinkpads (this one came with a 250GB SSD).
So yeah, I think it was a good deal.

I'm on complete newfag mode, what can I do exept leave a shitty review, also, what specific terms should I try to get the missing parts ? I'm not a native english speaker.

Just finished installing Arch on my X61 tablet, do I need to install drivers for the audio to work?

You're right. Mine was $100 with shitty RAM 2GB, no HDD or caddy, no power supply, but did have 9 cell battery.

Within a week my touchpad start acting jerky and would stop the clit mouse from moving, replaced flex cable for touchpad, that didn't work, replaced touchpad its now working, touchpad was $7 and they sent me two. Power supply was 15 bucks and I think its original, should I buy the 90w kind??

So, next thing I'll buy for it is SSD MSATA, 8GB RAM and a new battery and will end up having as much in it as you do. Oh yeah got the moonrune keyboard, you actually never notice it until you need some symbol and you don't really know where it is.

Send a message to the seller complaining that the HDD caddy is missing essential parts (the rubber rail) and you want either the part or 5€ back to buy one yourself. Say that you will give negative feedback otherwise. They'll probably give in to avoid negative feedback.

Whatever you do don't just give negative feedback without contacting the seller. It's very shitty to do as the seller might have made a mistake or maybe they didn't inspect the drive before selling.

You want to look for :
>7mm ThinkPad caddy rubber
>X220 caddy rubber

ebay.co.uk/itm/7mm-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Rubber-Rails-For-ThinkPad-X220-X220I-X230-X230I-T420S-T430-/281281572896

I always buy refurbished to get warranty and for tax reasons even though they are more expensive than ones from auction sites.

thanks onii chan desu

why does thinkpad x220 screen have burn in or we its called? thought that only crts have it...

If you don't immediately care about the keyboard, get the x230 for the better cpu and integrated graphics. You can eventually switch out the keyboard for a x220 keyboard as well.

My msata ssd arrived, and I'm shocked at how tiny it is.
What does Sup Forums think would be best, clone the existing harddrive over to the ssd. Or just format the whole thing and reinstall onto the ssd?

format

So i can buy this Thinkpad X230i (with Core i3 2370m) for 110 euros, the thing is a banger though and has suffer some damage. I still have an old case lying around from a regular X230, will this fit the X230i?

Also is this considered an upgrade from a core i5 520m in a T410?

Seems like a really good deal since i still have some old parts lying around to fix it with.

That's what I was thinking. I just got the computer anyway, so I don't have any data to back up.

I would say clone if you are lazy, but since you barely got anything on it, you might as well format.

Are there any cons to cloning versus formatting and reinstalling?

Can't comment on euro pricing and >i3, but you seem to know what you're getting.

Regular model case will fit the -i model mobo.

Pretty significant upgrade vs a first gen i5.

>110 euros
you could probably buy a T420 for a little more than that

Meant to say:
*significant upgrade in integrated GPU*

Processing power isn't going to be anything to write home about.

Image persistence, earlier x220 IPS panels had that feature. I've found it to be annoyingly noticable only against certain gray backgrounds

What's /tpg/ opinion on libreboot x200?

I was thinking of getting a thinkpad x200 and making all tge freedum modifications, just for hobby but:

>some RAM modules wont work
>virtualization causes kernel panic
>outdated microcode and general not functioning stuff

Is it really worth it? I wanted it as a small laptop for non critical tasks, but it seems it falls way behind...

Its sad because [spoiler]I started to like this wacky thing a lot[/spoiler]

CRTs would actually burn the image in. LCDs have their own form of "burn in" where the pixels have "image persistence." My early Sony HDTV has that .

you are now aware that this is a Thinkpad

I upgraded my T420s screen to a 1080p IPS panel. Didn't really realize the battery penalty I was paying, oh well, it's absolutely worth it and there's a power source anywhere I go anyway

not sure if goy or just stoopid

is this pic shopped?

>>some RAM modules wont work
it's fine as long as they are the same density
>>virtualization causes kernel panic
>virtualizing anything on an X200
>>outdated microcode and general not functioning stuff
everything functions fine unless you don't know how to configure GNU/Linux

>I started to like this wacky thing a lot
Just use Arch. It's the special snowflake feeling without any extra effort

>I HEAR OF CANCER OF MACINTOSH IN AMERICA
dubs spoken

IT'S HABBENING!!!!

My Thinkpad p70 is arriving today!

Want an unboxing?

Can I use a smaller power brick on the p70 for light tasks?

i7-6700hq
M3000M gpu
8gb ram
1080p

1tb NVMe M.2 ssd

I need to know which type of thinkpad I should get?

I was thinking of getting a p50s or a used x1 carbon with a damaged hinge for $220

Here there link for x1
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X1-Carbon-14-Intel-Core-i5-3427U-1-8GHz-4GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-/401169167765?hash=item5d678bb595:g:eNkAAOSw6n5XrK-R

sure how much did it?

I accidentally the whole $2k

How is the P series anyway?

>tfw your austim spiking and shitpost badly

the logo upside down on thinkpads too, dipshit.

Idk. Hasn't arrived yet. Overpaid by a lot because I wanted the nice keyboard trackpoint. The SSD was $750 but I figured fcuk it because I had to at least drop $140 for a 500gb spinner. Might as well upgrade to an ssd. Problem is, a 256gb ssd costs $400. So for double the cost, I get 4x storage and much faster read/write in an M.2 I could probably put into my next computer.

Thinkpad logo is not meant to be light up and seen to strangers.

Not all of us can be Australian kings of the shitpost

Laptop newb here. Can I put any SSD in my t420?

As real as my shekels

college retard here
do i get a thinkpad or do i wait for new macbook to come out
i do photoshop work and video editing and business work
no gaming

please no bully

please no mac

as long as it's msata or 2.5" yes